Crawfordsville District Public Library's databases for genealogy - their site and this site work great hand-in-hand - ENJOY
Thanks to openclipart.org andclipartpanda.com for the "News" rolls :) Love 'em
IF YOU USE INFORMATION FROM THIS PAGE -- please give me, the site, or both CREDIT -- I've worked for years gathering information on this topic -- SO PLEASE --
Citation: Zach, Karen Bazzani. "Newspapers in Montgomery County." Montgomery County INGenWeb. http://www.ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/obituaries/newspapers-montgomery-county.htm
following are newspapers that do now or ever existed in Montgomery
County as far as is known. Most are housed at the Crawfordsville
District Public Library, a few are online, many obituaries are
on this GenWeb site and some of the newspapers are literally
gone - no copies exist. Sad!
Also, many of these had been available at the Indiana State Library but I believe 2016 their newspaper department has been closed and they are working on incorporating them into a large online database. Let me know if anyone knows this for sure :)
Evening Argus - T.C. Purcell and Robert B. Wilson began the Evening Argus as a daily paper March 13, 1882. Purcell sold his interest to Wilson in August, but Wilson sold out to J.R. Bryant and U.M. Scott who also quickly sold to W.E. Rosebro. In 1885, Rosebro and S.M. Coffman who also owned the News combined the papers to form the Argus-News. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - has March 13, 1882 - August 22, 1885 available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
The Argus-News -- formed by S.M. Coffman and W.E. Rosebro in 1885. Rosebro got out of the business the next year. In 1889, along with the daily Argus-News, a Weekly edition came out. In 1894, Coffman made the Argus a Democratic party organ vs. an independent paper. March 1900 he bought the Review and March 30th, he combined this with the Argus-New to form the News-Review. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - has 1886 - March 1900 - available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference 00copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here) Also, Google News has the Weekly Argus May 1890 - Feb 1900 available online.
Argus News - The Weekly Argus News- April 22, 1899 p 9 -- "The only 12 page free silver democratic paper in Montgomery County. The phenomenal success of the Weekly Argus-News is a source of pride to those who publish it as well as to the 10,000 people who read it (typed by kbz). Business man - "If you don't get your share of business don't kick about it. Just advertise in the daily and weekly Arugs-News and you will reach the democrats of Crawfordsville and Montgomery County. That's the only way." Source: Weekly Argus News January 7, 1893 - Since its inception the Weekly Argus News has been like the Daily Argus News, a non-partisan paper. Realizing the necessity now, since the Weekly Star has left the independent field which it occupied for a score of years, of a live independent paper, we have decided to make the Weekly Argus News a thoroughly independent paper. With a democratic and a republican organ in this county, the Review and Journal, there is left a wide field of usefulness for a paper that can take a broader, higher view of the affairs of the county than from a partisan standpoint. Such a paper has long been needed and such a live progressive paper we prpose to make the Weekly Argus News. To do this, we ask the cordial and hearty support of all fair-minded and honest men who believe that the business of the county should be run on an economic basis; and that only taxes sufficient to meet the expenses of the county should be levied; that only good and capable men should be elected to office; that rings and cliques have no place among honest people; that one man is as good as another be he democrat, republican, populist, or prohibitionst and all should be of one mind when it comes to the management of the county; that reckless extravagance of the people's money is a crime and officers elected to serve the people should be required to render adequate service for the salary received. The Weekly Argus News will be devoted strictly to the interests of the farmers of Montgomery County, with many of whom it is already familiar, and with many more of whom it hopes soon to be better known. You need not give up your partison paper to become a reader of this. Take both. The expense is a mere trifle and will pay you. Remember you may get some of the news in other papers but you will only get all of it by reading the independent paper. Here you will get it all, get it as it is, and not from a prejudical or partisan view. If you do not get the worth of your money we will refund it... We will furnish you the Argus News with big-city papers at greatly reduced rates ...To new subscribers we will send the Argus News and the American Farmer for one year for $1.00 cash in advance. This is the best newspaper offer ever made to the farmers of Montgomepy (sic) County... The American Farmer is one of the best papers published in the interest of the farmer and no farmer can get along without it. By subscribing for the Argus News you get it for nothing. We make you a present of it. .. We will send the Prairie Farmer and the Argus News subject to above conditions for $1.25 a year. The prairie Farmer is too well known to need any introduction. It's a great paper...We will send the Farmer's Friend and Argus News, subject to above condition for one year for $1.25 The Farmer's Friend is a semi-monthly paper and one of the very best. .. We will also club with other publications. See particulars next week.. We will send you the Argus News and "Womankind' for one year for $1 if you will pay up and renew for another year, cash in advance. We will send all new subscribers the Argus News and "Womankind" for $1 cash in advance for one year. Womankind will find a joyous welcome in every home. It is bright, sparkling and interesting. Its household hints and suggestions are invaluable and it also contains a large amount of news about women in general. Its fashion department is complete, and profusely illustrated, it has a bright and entertaining corps of contributors, and the paper is edited with care and ability.... Come up and subscribe at once. Begin now. Tell your neighbors of our great offer. We want live agents for every locality in the county. Liberal commission paid. We want wide-awake correspondents in every neighborhood of the county. Writing material, stamps, etc. furnished on application. We propose to make the Weekly Argus News the biggest, best and most popular paper in the county this year. You will want it and so will your neighbors. Show him a copy of it. Sample copies sent free to any address. -- love this but glad I wasn't involved :) == Source: Crawfordsville Weekly Argus News Oct 3, 1896 The Crawfordsville Journal has the right name – Weekly Journal – it is very weakly. The only difference is the spelling. The strongest part of the Journal is lies. The Journal says that Mr. Bryan said that gold standard meant that a dollar would buy more and more all the time. This is a lie of their own make-up. Under a gold standard, everything a farmer has to sell brings a lower and lower price while for everything he has to buy he has to pay the very highest price. The Journal says bimetallism would be dangerous. The country prospered after free coinage before 1873 why an it not do so now? The campaign of education is a struggle between the honest people and the Wall Street bankers. Nov 4th the Journal & McKinley, Mark Hanna, John Sherman and the Wall Street bankers will move to Salt River and may these traitors never more be heard of.
The Bachelor - 1908 - Wabash College Press Club but later produced by the Wabash students. Originally, it was a twice-monthly paper, but became a weekly in the early 1930s. In 2016, it is still continued.
The Crawfordsville Herald - Source: Weekly Argus News May 26, 1894 p 5 - The Crawfordsville Herald, the organ of the Methodist Church of this city ...
The Despatch - 1887 and a short-lived one at that. The Journal owners purchased it to deter competition.
The Examiner - George Snyder and Phillip Engle in 1837 as a Democratic party paper. 1841 - sold to Joseph D. Masterson and Bennett W. Engle who changed the title to the Review.
The Freshman Clipper - Charles H. Bartlett and Albert W. Wishard - Wabash college student paper - first issue December 13, 1873 but not known how long it existed or how often it was published.
The Geyser - also a Wabash student publication that came out weekly beginning in February 1873, and lasted about a year.
The Indiana Christian Herald - first issue Feb 20, 1849. Published from The Journal office by Dr. Thomas W. Fry and Jeremiah Keeney with James H. Johnson as editor. Disappeared by August 1849.
The Journal (also includes Montgomery Journal, Saturday Evening Journal, Daily Journal and Weekly Journal) -- First issue: July 27, 1848 (Dr. Thomas W. Fry, editor, Jeremiah Keeney, publisher as the Montgomery Journal. Dr. Fry was quite a Whig and made no effort to hide the fact in his publication, and easily converted the paper into supporting the Republican party in the mid 1850s. In August 1856, Fry and Keeney sold to J.A. Gilkey and D.M. Cantrill who titled it just the Journal. October 1856, W. H. Foust became publisher and shortly thereafter a Mr. Huntsinger took over; however, because Cantrill and Huntsinger could not handle the paper financially, they again sold the Journal back to Jeremiah Keeney in early 1858. Keeney sold it in 1866 to George W. Snyder and in April 1868 to Thomas H.B. McCain, a Civil War hero and his partner, J.H. Hendricks. Hendricks didn't last long and soon sold his interest to John T. Talbot that November. In late April, 1874, the paper's name became Saturday Evening Journal with a daily edition titled the Daily Journal began in 1887. Talbot sold his share to McCain who changed the title of the weekly portion to the Weekly Journal. In May 1892, McCain formed the Journal Company which also included his son, Arthur A. McCain and Jesse A. Greene. Thomas McCain continued to edit the paper and was president of the newly formed Journal Company. In 1893 (Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery ...) the following pinpointed what the newspaper was all about. "It is clean, progressive, aggresive and popular. The Weekly Journal is the official organ of the Republican party of Montgomery County. It has the largest circulation of any weekly paper in this section of Indiana. It gives all the news and is considered a household companion and necessity in every home in the county. Hundreds of its subscribers have taken the paper for over a 1/3 of a century, without a year's discontinuance and its stability, authority, exactness and impartiality are only equaled by its popularity." Besides all that, the Journal did printing for hire. McCain died May 1, 1898 and was succeeded by his son as publisher and Greene as editor, then in 1901, Greene sold his interest to Arthur McCain. He was publisher and editor at this point In December 1916, McCain sold his 1/3 interest to Alaric M. Smith who became the editor and in 1919, the weekly was discontinued by him. At the time of McCain's death Fred T. McCain and Mrs. S. S. McCain had received a 1/3 each and eventually sold their interests, making Smith the sole owner by 1921-22. From October 14, 1929 thereon and remaining so today, the Journal and the Review were combined and made one paper (up to current date, 2016). (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - has The Journal Aug 1856 - April 9, 1857; April 29, 1858 - Dec 1874; April 24, 1875 - Oct 13, 1929. Journal Review Oct 14, 1929 - present day and the Montgomery Journal June 16, 1853 - August 1856 - available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
old Journal building on (South?) Green - probably about 1907
The Journal-Review (also known as the Journal and Review) -- was formed on the above date (Oct 14, 1929) from a merger of the two main papers, The Journal and The Review. The combined paper was owned by H. Foster Fudge, publisher; Wally Coons, editor and Smith, president. Coons died in April of 1935, then Fudge and Smith purchased his interest. Smith then passed away in March 1943 and Fudge purchased all ownership. In 1947, Fudge's son-in-law, Addington Vance became a partner. "T.K. Showalter was appointed managing editor in 1947. Foster Fudge died June 9, 1959 and Vance became sole owner and publisher. L.F. McCormick succeeded Showalter as managing editor in 1969 and 3 years later, Jack B. Hess replaced McCormick. Vance sold the Journal-Review in October 1974 to Freedom Newspapers, a nationwide chain of papers headed by C.W. Hoiles. He named James McMillen as publisher. In 1979 McMillen was succeeded by Robert M. (Bob) Lyons who continued publishing the paper up to 1988 when . he moved to Burlington NC and McMillen returned, staying until 1999. Freedom sold the paper to PTS out of Alabama, the current owner. (PTS stands for Phillip T. Smith). A rapid succession of publishers began with Ron Dietz (1999-2005); Randy Pribble, followed by Sean Smith and now Shawn Storie. Editors within the last 30 or so years included the greatest ever, Gaildene Hamilton then Howard Hewitt, Tina McGrady, Maria Flora, Jamie Lemke Barr, Jay Heater and currently (2016) Tina McGrady. In a little over a decade, the J-R will have been owned longer by out of state people than local folks. SAD !! http://www.journalreview.com/ (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - Oct 14, 1929 - present available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
The Lariat -- title of a Wabash College student paper which began publication on Sept 16, 1880 and discontinued the end of April 1885.
The Locomotive -- set up by Thomas T. Scott & Company 1852 attempting to drive the Journal out of business. Ted D. Brown and L. Dunn Ingersoll were editors and the newspaper was for the Whig Party, later a Republican publication. W.B. Keeney bought into the paper not long afterward and created the firm of Keeney, Scott & Intersoll with Brown as managing editor. In July 1853, Ingersoll backed out and Scott sold his interest to W.H. Foust in January 1854. He stayed a mere 5 months and finally Keeney owned the whole shabang. April 7, 1855 brought the last edition of the Locomotive. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - has June 1853 - April 7, 1855 available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
The Saturday Mercury -- Two years from September 1875 to about that time in 1877 is all this newspaper last with Charles H. Bowen as the owner, publisher and editor. It was a Democratic-based paper. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - has Sept 15 to Oct 2, 1877 available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
The Morion -- An early paper, Overton Johnson in 1840 began this first publication for Wabash College but it survived but a short time. Nothing else is known.
Paper of Montgomery County
-- Our History-- In April of 2004, a small group of four individuals
began looking at a business plan for creating a daily newspaper
that would be for, by and about the people, places and events
that make up Montgomery County. In a world that has seen newspaper
circulation decline, and in a county where a daily and a weekly
newspaper already existed, the plan was, to say the least, bold.
Yet it had strong appeal to the four and out of those meetings
was born The Paper of Montgomery County. Gail Hamilton, Dan
Taylor, Barry Lewis and Tim Timmons then began going about the
task of turning the plan into a reality. They did not write
a mission statement. As Tim said, mission statements are great
things if you happen to own an acrylic plaque-making company.
Other than that though, no one seems to ever be able to remember
exactly what the mission is. But the mission for this new newspaper
was straightforward and simple, yet very defining.
The People's Press -- May 11, 1844 - Whigs group including some big ones, Ben T. Ristine; Henry S. Lane; James Wilson; Samuel Binford with William Bausman (from Greensburg, PA) as editor with Jeremiah Keeney head of the mechanical part. This went four years when the Tomahawk took it over.
The Pictorial News - 1959 - a weekly paper. I'll have to research this one a bit more. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - May 28 - Nov 5, 1959 available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
The Record -- believe the earliest of the newspapers first came out on October 18, 1831. Isaac F. Wade was the editor and publisher with his friend Charles S. Bryant as printer. Wade brought the press from Cincinnati, Ohio overland, paying the price of $400 for it. The first few papers lacked a D at the end of RECOR(D) and Wade stated that "A D would receive much use in referring to "Democrats and the Devil." The Record claimed to be neutral as far as politicing went but obviously not so much and it actually became a Whig party paper. Bryant retired the next year and Wade took over alone then Isaac Naylor tackled the editorials for a couple of years. Wade sold the paper to George W. Snyder and W. Harrison Holmes in the mid 1830s and in June 1836 Snyder sold his interest to Ambrose Harland who - ready for this - had it one year then returned it to Snyder. In 1838, the Record failed but two attempts in both 1839 and 1840 (under Indiana Record) with help from William H. Webb and Henry S. Lane then James B. Johnson and Peter J. Bartholomew. Both supported the Whig party but evidently there weren't many of those around because the paper was shortlived. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - Oct 18, 1831 - June 16, 1838 and a reproduction of the first edition is available from the Linden and Waveland libraries also -- available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
The Review (also titled New Review and News-Review) - see also Examiner. Bennett W. Engle along with Joe Masterson purchased the Review as a Democratic party newspaper. This was in 1841 and nine years later, Engle sold out to Masterson, and four years afterward (1854) Masterson sold to Charles H. Bowen and B.F. Stover. Stover sold his half to Bowen just six months afteward. In the 1860 election, the Review was very much a Stephen A. Douglas supporter and critical of the union during the Civil War which made several enemies in the area. In September of 1872, Bowen sold the paper to E.C. Voris and T.B. Collins. John L. Miller was added the next year as an owner, then in three years was sole owner. In October 1881, he sold it to James B. Seller; John E. Hanna and E.M. Henkel. Henkel sold out by April 1882 when a daily edition was available. Hanna & Company purchased the paper in July 1883 and by February 1885, T.B. Collins and John E. Hanna took over the paper when Bayless Hanna left to accept a ministership in Argentina. In October of that year, Fleming T. Luse and Clarence Galey purchased the Review and Galey later sold (1889) to Mr. Berry. In February 1890, he was out and W.E. Henkel back in. The next year, Luse became the soul owner but in October, 1894 he hired W. H. Eltzroth as editor. Luse sold out in January 1899 to E.A. Cunningham and W.E. Henkel. They formed the Review Company and changed the name to New Review. March 1900 S.M. Coffman bought the Review and also was owner of the Argus-New. March 30, 1900, Coffman merged these papers changing the name to the News-Review. It existed until 1908 when G.H.D. Sutherland bought the paper and went back to The Review. The Crawfordsville Review Company, consisting of Basil T. Merrell; C.L. Goodbar; H. Foster Fudge and W.E. (Wally) Coons bought the paper in March 1910. James T. Hitchcock served as editor for the company. About 1914, Fudge, Coons and a man named Louis Anger owned the Review. The next year or so found George S. Harney replacing Hitchcock as editor and J.F. Warfel came after Harney, Warfel staying on as editor for about a year, then followed by Coons. On October 14, 1929, the Review merged with the Journal to form the Journal-Review, that is still in existence today. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library - has The Review June 18, 1853 - Aug 1861; Aug 1862 - Aug 1867; Aug 28, 1869 - Aug 1871; and 1889 - Jan 1899 -- New Review Jan 28, 1899 - March __ 1900 and News-Review March 13, 1900-1903 available on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here). Also, Google News has the Weekly Review Jan 1907; Jan 1908 - Dec 1910 and The Daily News Review July 1900 - Jan 1903; The Crawfordsville Review Jan 1911 - Feb 1920 and Jan 1923 - Jan 1928 available online.
(Sunday Star) - began on the 6th day of February in 1872 with
Jeremiah Keeney as both editor and publisher. In 1880 (Jan1st)
the Star sold for 1 copy per 2 years in advance $1.50; 1 copy
for six months .75 and 1 copy for 3 months .50. Supporting the
People's party (Grangers/Greenbackers), in 1888 Keeney was succeded
by his son, Jeremiah M. Keeney with Willard Harlow, Harlow selling
out quickly to the younger Jeremiah. A Sunday society paper
(Sunday Star) began in 1889. C.A. Bowers worked with
Keeney briefly in 1891 when the Star was a daily edition. In
1904, Keeney sold the paper to S.D. Symmes who owned the Star
for a very short time selling it to the Journal owners who basically
incorporated it into their own publication. I love the Star
Crawfordsville District Public Library -Feb 1872 - 1904 available
on microfilm at CDPL - 2nd floor - Reference -- copies for a
reasonable price can be purchased for a reasonable price here)
-- ALSO, The Sunday Star is available at Google News
for Feb 1898 - Jan 1899 and Jan 1901 - Feb 1903, plus The
Star for Feb 1872 - Feb 1889; Jan 1892 - Feb 1898. Just
found in the May 27, 1892 edition the "Agents for the Star"
at that time were: Brownsvalley (WS Muck); Darlington (FWCampbell);
Elmdale (JF VanCleave); Ladoga (JE Talbott); Linden (JS Bennett);
Mace (SM Freeman) New Market (ES Wray); New Richmond (Harry
Wilson & Geo. F. Long); North Union (Robt. Smith); New Ross
(JH Stewart); Shannondale (SM McCallister); Waynetown (DT Thompson);
Waveland (ML Butcher); Whitesville (CM Grissom); Yountsville
The Tomahawk -- began in the Spring of 1848 as successor to the People's Press, but only lasted for six issues. Jeremiah Keeney and Dr. T.W. Fry purchased the eqipment for the Journal.
Wabash Weekly Magazine -- also called the Wabash Monthly - was of course a Wabash college publication - 1857. Although it began as a weekly it soon became a monthly thus the change of title. There were few editions.
The Weekly of West Central Indiana -- The Weekly was born out of a fledgling desktop publishing business by Judy Todd and Sherry Merrell on June 24, 1991. It was put together in the front room owned by Merrell. After driving the finished product to Morton, Illinois the "Good News" paper was printed. Six-thousand papers were distributed all over Montgomery County at various locations for free. It became an excellent publication for small businesses to advertise, a community-oriented avenue for schools, clubs and churches to announce their events and a story-telling venue for the history and human interest in west central avenue. In 1992, Merrell moved away and Todd continued the publication for 13 more years. Its operation moved to an office space at 127 East Main Street in downtown Crawfordsville. During those years, The Weekly expanded its issues to include a Dining Guide, Photo Contest, Car Lovers, and Business Guide editions. In 2006, Todd sold The Weekly of West Central Indiana to The Paper of Montgomery County.
The Western Reporter -- was an early paper, and was very short-lived under the directorship of George W. Snyder, who was part owner of The Examiner at the same time (1841) and after the Civil War was with the Journal.
Darlington Bee -- The first week in May a new weekly newspaper will be started at Darlington by
Darlington Dispatch - April 1886 Charles W. Powell - sold to Thomas Maxedon 1887. Lasted 3 total years but The Echo may have absorbed it.
Darlington Herald -- 1916 - (Republican paper) -- (Charles A. Marshall) - Long-lasting Darlington paper that was suspended during WWII from April 29, 1943 for about a year, then revived by B.C. Stewart and in 1947, Edith Weisner became editor until 1951 when it ceased to exist. Note: The Darlington library has 1916-1951 available.
The Echo -- William Pittman 1889 - local news. E.K. Burkett bought it about 1894 - he sold the Echo to O.H. Greist for about two years then to Alfred Peterson. In 1902, Ernest Leachman bought it then sold it two years later to Albert W. Shawber. 1914 Shawber died from injuries suffered when he fell on ice. Gertrude Cooke bought the paper from Shawber's Estate and kept it until 1916 when she sold it to Charles A. Marshall who changed the title to The Darlington Herald. -- Source: Crawfordsville Star, Feb 2, 1894 p 7 - The Darlington Echo is getting to be a good little paper. We think that Mr. Burkett, the editor, will make a good home paper out of it if the people will give him a chance. He is a good, industrious, sober man.
The News -- a rather unique beginning in 1907, several Darlington businessmen began the paper, hiring brother/sister Homer and Rua Miller to write/manage the paper. They purchased it not long afteward. A couple of years later, Charles A. Marshall (same as above) and Edith Marshall purchased it but only for a short time when they sold it to Walter Honecker. Honecker not long afteward (April 1911) sold it to R.F. Mix who changed the title to The Record.
The Darlington Record - Mix continued this paper until 1915 when he moved to Elnora in Daviess County, Indiana
The Weekly Herald - Wm. H. Boswell began this paper in 1864. This lasted until June of 1874 when he sold the Herald to C. Milton Scott who changed the name to The Journal.
The Journal - appeared 1876 as a continuation of The Herald. Scott quickly sold it to T.B. Bell who only owned in two years selling to John H. Harney. The next year, Clinton Kinder purchased the Journal changing it to The Leader. See note below
The Ladoga Leader - Clinton Kinder began this paper in 1879 continuing The Journal. W.D. Harlow, LeRoy Armstrong and C.M. Lemon were all owners/editors until 1 Dec 1890 when it was sold to J.F. Warfel who owned it for a long time until 1917 when ? Anderson and E. N. Stoner owned it a year then sold to W.S> Richey. Wells Morehouse purchased The Leader in 1919 and owned it until 1943 when Kenneth Bennett took over as editor/publisher. In 1947 a woman became involved with Letha Peffley as editor. The Leader terminated publishing about 1951. Note: It is available at the Ladoga Library 1890-1915; 1919-1950 (Source: Crawfordsville Star Jan 1, 1880 p 1 - The Ladoga Journal is rebaptised the Ladoga Leader by its new editor, D.C. Kinder. It is now a first-class six column folio paper and will doubtless be a real credit to that stirring town).
The Ruralist -- D.A. Burton April 20, 1860 for four months. oh, my would it be great to have those papers :)
The Advocate -- the first issue came out on November 22, 1912 - Clarence M. Bowman editor/publisher. Oddly, The Advocate was first published in Mellot in neighboring Fountain County and it was published for less than a year in Linden.
The Dispatch -- published in Plainfield in Hendricks County it incorporated news for Linden, Darlington and New Richmond in 1954.
The Leader - 1894 edited and published by George M. Braxton until 1896 when Harry S. Shaffer took over who sold it about 1900 to ? Harrigan and ? Slavens (possibly William Edgar Slavens who was a lawyer in Linden at that time) with W.C. Thomas as editor. Not long after her marriage, Mrs. Claude Work (Rose Shotts) purchased the paper but sold it two years later to A.D. Brinson who sold the journal to E.K. Burkett in 1906. Burkett changed the name to the Reporter - see below. (Note: The Linden Library has a few issues: May 4, 1900; March 22, 1901; January 8th and May 4 in 1904)
The Linden - Crawfordsville Co-Operative News -- began by Wallace W. Wade in 1930. Issued in both places and ran for 13 years. (Note: The Linden Library owns one issue July 21, 1932)
The Localizer - what a name - began in 1893 by W.B. Harris and ran for about two years exactly.
The Observer - started in 1916 by Ira Gordon who sold out quickly to Hubert Ellis and the independently owned paper lasted maybe two years. (Note: The Linden Library owns a few of these papers May 5, 1916; June 81 1917; August 24, 1917 and April 18 1918
The Reporter - started in 1906 and was "formerly titled The Leader." E.K. Burkett was the original editor and publisher of the paper giving local news. In 1908, he sold it to Thomas Barrett & Son who operated it for a year then stopped publication.
The Community News - yep, Linnsburg had a newspaper for about two years beginning in 1928 (pro-Republican Party paper, mainly - and it was free) written and published by E.R.C. Kyle
The Enterprise - established by Robert S. Osburn in June of 1893. (also see Waynetown - The Hornet).
The Weekly Farmer's Review -- began in 1896. Miller states that Harry W. Campbell was one of the later owners but nothing else is known. Definitely, on March 11, 1932 "The Farmers Review (no apostrophy)" : an exclusive local and rural newspaper was in existence as I have on this GenWeb page under the Alumni - New Richmond a picture of the NRH basketball team. Nifty! Wish I knew more about this one.
The News - Joseph Smith in 1892 - survived but a few months
The Record - established by Edgar Walts July 16, 1896. He discontinued the journal about 1924.
The Weekly Times - established by George F. Long on March 6, 1891. Joseph Smith of the above News, along with partner W.E. Rogers purchased it later and Ed Zook later owned it as well as the Long brothers which probably included George above. Oddly, with all that it lasted one years only.
The Advanced Mail - (also known as The Mail) was neutral politics wise... and founded by E.K. Burkett when several of the small town papers were being started around 1896. About 1900 the title was shorted to Mail. In 1904, E.C. Weaver bought the Mail and published in until 1910 when it folded.
The Community News - established by E.R.C. Kyle in 1927 and ran for about six years. Kyle also had an edition concerning Linnsburg news items.
The Herald -- In 1907, two locals, W.J. Huff and his son decided New Ross needed a good paper - the Huff's did this paper for about three years and then sold it to F.M. Smith who after a year sold it to W.S. Barton. He discontinued the paper in 1915.
(Note: None of the three New Ross newspapers are known to exist)
The Weekly CALL -- Zell Tracy and C.F. Crowder first published this politically neutral paper on the 11th day of February in 1881 after they owned The Item (see below). Most of these years, Tracy owned the newspaper alone and operated it as such until April 1887 when he sold it to Charles G. Scott and C. A. Talbert who changed the name of the Independent, the long-running Waveland newspaper.
The Enterprise - wasn't much of one as it lasted a very short time in 1873.. Unknown dates and unknown owners.
The (Waveland) Independent -- got its start on April Fool's Day, 1887 succeeding the Call. That fall, Talbert sold his interest to Scott and in January 1900, Scott sold out to Thomas and Louise Huston, tireless workers for their community. They owned the paper until 1941 when William L. Fortune bought it but almost immediately sold out to Rev. C.W. McBrayer and his wife. Getting older, the McBrayers tried to sell the newspaper to Herb Hathaway in the Spring of 1955 and were about to close up shop when Max Harvey and Wm. B. Hargrave from Parke County purchased it and changed the name to Tri-County News. NOTE: Although all information indicates the Waveland Independent began in 1887, the April 8, 1886 Crawfordsville Star indicates otherwise -- "Waveland News" -- The Waveland Independent, a new newspaper, will be started here in a few days, with Charles Talburt and Charles Scott proprietors.
The Item - about 1880 and lasted less than a year - Harry Talbert and Frank Foley - this became the Weekly Call (see above) It is unlikely any of these or the next three newspapers exists :(
The News -- Wm. Boswell had this from about 1873-1875.
The Temperance Messenger also was published about the same time as the above except for a much shorter period by P.B. Rose.
The True American - one issue in 1851 printed at Terre Haute.
The Tri-County News - began on 9-15-1955 continuing the Waveland Independent and went until 1966. Max Harvey and William and Ellen Hargrave were successful at getting the paper back on its feet. Hargrave later on sold the full pro-Republican journal to Ellen. My mother, Kate Bazzani worked for this newspaper just as it became the Tri-County News for awhile. She found old clippings of Ruth Morgan Joiner Thomas who was on the popular show This Is Your Life. Mom did all the leg work getting all the information together. In the summer of 1966, Mom's good friend, Marie Stevens Cox became editor until the Harveys sold the Tri-County News to Hub Press who stopped the paper in late February, 1968. (Note: The Waveland Public Library has The Weekly call - just july 16 and 23 of 1881; The Enterprise - scattered 1873 ones - The Independent 1887-1955 as does the Crawfordsville Library have the 1930-55 on microfilm; The Waveland Library also has the Tri-County News for its entirety)
Source: Tri-County News Sept 15, 1955 TWO FIRST EDITIONS Not only is this the first edition of The Tri-County News, but another "First Edition" occurred this week in which the publishers figured, even the remotely. At 12:25 Wednesday morning, a son, James Michael was born to Mr. and Mrs. James Watson of Montezuma, a hefty 7# 9oz. in weight, and their first child. The mother is the d/o Mr. and Mrs. Max Harvey, part of the publishing team of this newspaper. A further coincidence was that the new arrival put in his appearance on the birthday, Sept 14 of the other publisher, William B. Hargrave of Rockville.
Waveland Independent July 28, 1922 Charles Talbert - founder
The Banner (Waynetown Banner) - I'm excited - - just found a new newspaper from a short article in the Crawfordsville Star, Jan 10, 1878 p 1 - Bruce Henry and D.F. Crowder are the editors of the Waynetown Banner, a new and neat little six column folio. - kbz
The Clipper was the first Waynetown newspaper started 24 March 1877 by C.F. Crowder, editor/publisher. Then two months later, May 26, 1877, Bruce Henry purchased part interest and they changed the name to The Banner. Henry then purchased the whole paper until 1879 (Spring) when C.F. McCleary purchased it and he changed the title to The Democrat, the name being very short lived with just a few issues. Financial troubles drove its closing but in September of that year, Riley T. Runyan revived it as The Banner again. Runyan moved the press to Fountain County in Veedersburg where I can not find out what happened to it :( Sorry, kbz
The Despatch -- a pro-Democrat paper that came about in October 1892 under the direction of John W. Small and Henry I. Starnes. This began in Wingate as The Graphic. Shortly after the paper was moved to Waynetown, Stanes sold to Small who suspended the paper in February 1929 because of his poor health. Small died March 6 the next year and the press was sold to Joseph Cooper who revived the ailing Despatch. The next year he sold it to Walter Rutter and G.M. Eussler purchased it from Rutter in 1933. In 1946, Eussler sold the publication to Wm. K. Whalen and Lee Ison, Ison selling Whalen and his wife, Claudine his share the next year. They produced The Despatch until 1961 when Wm. Riddell purchased it and as many of the newspapers in the area was sold to Hub Press, who appointed Aaron Bales as editor. Unknown as to exactly when the Despatch ceased existence but in the late 1960s sometime. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library has Feb 8, 1896; Jan 7, 1899; Oct 26, Nov 9 in 1901; Jan 9, 1903; June 17, 1904; Oct 4, 1907; April 3, 1908l June 13 and oct 31 in 1913 and May 26, Aug 25, Oct 13, in 1916; Dec 12, 1919; May 12, 1922; March 4, 18 in 1938 and May 31, and Aug 16 and Dec 1956; 1957 and a partial one of Feb 27, 1958 - sad the rest aren't to be found, but better some than none :(
The Hornet -- Charles M. Berry began this in the spring of 1886 but sold out to John Brant less than two years later. Robert Osborn had purchased in within a couple of years and in June 1893 moved the press to New Richmond where the paper became The Enterprise. Source: Crawfordsville star June 16, 1887 p 2 -- The editor of the Hornet is "diluted" which word is invaribly and frequently used for deluded, with the idea that no one has a right to question his motives for abusing other persons be their intentions and judgment ever so good. His attack in last weeks Hornet on the Star correspondent was evidently intended as a "squelcher" but as usual his garmmar is so faulty that we may possibly be mistaken as to whether he intended a compliment or a KKK warning !
The Press -- C.F. Crowder again in 1881 - neutral in politics and ceased being in mid 1880s.
The News - neutral in politics began on Feb 18, 1900 with George Shultz owner/editor. Three months aftewrard, AJ Royalty bought interest and in Spring of 1900 Shultz sold his share to John F and Frederick Royalty, then Frederick sold to his brother John in 1905. AJ Royalty died on the last day of March in 1907 and John and his wife, Lilly inherited his interest. John died three years later in a railroad accident but Lilly continued operating the News until she sold out to Wallace W. Wade (also involved with the Crawfordsville-Linden newspaper above) in 1915. He had it for only a year then sold to A.E> Bagby. Clyde H. Wade purchased it then from Bagby in 1918 and in the late 1930s, Mildred Cheek, one awesome lady and DAR member, became editor. G.W. Downes purchased the News about 1940 and named Mae Crane as manager in 1942. She purchased the paper in the fall of 1947, selling it to William K. Whalen and his wife, Claudine in 1950. Loyal N. Lafayette purchased the paper in 1954 from the Whalens but sold it back to them soon after. Wm. R. Riddell bought it in 1961 selling it to yep, ya' guessed it, Hub Press. Those owners named Aaron Bales as editor. It, too as most of the local small papers terminated in the late 1960s. (Note: Crawfordsville District Public Library has March 24 - Dec in 1938; April 19 - Oct 18, 1956 and Jan 16- May of 1958. Sure wish we could find more of these :(
The website management appreciates all the contributions provided for use here. When using something from this site PLEASE use the following citation as your source :) THANKS MUCHES - kbz
Citation: The INGenWeb Project, Copyright ©1997-2016 (and beyond), Montgomery County GenWeb site http://www.ingenweb.org/inmontgomery/