Jefferson Township was the first township formed
after the creation of Newton County in 1860. It was set aside from
Washington Township on April 23, 1860. The county seat is located at
the town of Kentland,
which was platted by Alexander (A.J.) Kent in 1860. For more
information regarding the history of Jefferson Township and the town of
Kentland, please visit our Newcomer site.
Pleasant Grove Cemetery is located in Section 3. From US 41 and SR 24, go north to the Iroquois River, it is only the west side of US 41.
Fairlawn Cemetery is located on
the south of the town of Kentland in section 28. From US 41 go
south to 1700S, go west, on the right or north side of the road.
St. Joseph Cemetery is located
next to the Fairlawn Cemetery, in section 28. From US 41, go south to
1700S, go west, on the right or north side of the road.
Link here to the Newton County Cemetery listings.