McClellan Township was formed from land set apart from Beaver Township on December 2, 1862. Enos is its only town. It was platted in 1907 by R. and L. Bartlett.
Up until 1880, the largest natural lake in Indiana
existed, covering the majority of McClellan Township, and then some. Beaver Lake
covered 16,000 acres, part of the 30,000 acres of the Beaver Lake
Country. For more information regarding the lake and its horsetheives
and counterfeiters, check out the Newcomer site.
The Betz Cemetery is located in
section 30 of McClellan Township. From the intersection of SR 14
and US 41, go west on SR 14 to 600W, go north, it will be on the right.
There are no visible stones at the cemetery, and it is difficult to get
The Morgan-Tracy Cemetery is
located in section 25, across the road from the Betz Cemetery. From US
41 and SR 14 go west on SR 14 to 600W, go north, it will be on the
left. Look for sign.
The Skinner or McClellan Cemetery is located in section 30. From US 41 and SR 14 take 14 West to the Old Chicago Road, go north, it will be on the right.
Click here to link to the listings of these cemeteries.
The drawing above depicts the original size of Beaver Lake. Bogus
Island, home of the counterfeiters, was located in section 16, about
the middle of the section.