History of Newton
Newton County is the youngest county in the State of
Indiana. Formed in 1860 from Jasper County, the county seat was made in
what was then called Kent Station. Today, the town is called Kentland.
Much of our history can be found in the society newsletter, "The Newcomer". There is an index on that
site that can help you with specific information.
Available at the Newton County Historical Society Resource Center
Click here to see a list of the
resource and reference materials available at the Society Resource
Newton County Townships
Upon organization of the county in April 1860, there were five
townships: Beaver, Iroquois,
The first order of the newly elected officials was the formation of a
April 23, 1860, Jefferson Township was set aside
from Washington Township
December 2, 1862, McClellan Township was set apart
from Beaver Township
December 6, 1865, Grant Township was set apart from
March 9, 1871, Colfax Township
was set apart from Jackson Township
June 8, 1872, Lincoln Township was set apart
from Colfax Township
Newton County Towns
1851 - Morocco by John Murphey
1860 - Kentland by Alexander
(A. J.) Kent - aka Kent, Kents, Kent Station, Adriane
1861 - Goodland by Timothy
Foster - aka Goodland Station, Tivoli
1866 - Brook by S. H. Benjamin
- noted on some old maps as Brooks
1876 - Lake Village by Richard
1882 - Roselawn by Craig and
Rose - originally written as Rose Lawn
1882 - Thayer by Atherton
1882 - Julian by J. B. Julian
1882 - Mt. Ayr by Lewis Marion
1882 - Foresman by J. B.
Foresman - aka Foresman Switch
1905 - Conrad by Jennie M.
1906 - Ade by Warren T. McCray
1907 - Enos by R. and L.
Pilot Grove was a collection of early pioneers in Jackson Township, and
is where the first post office was located. It was west of Mt. Ayr.
There were several "milk stops" throughout the county that were given
names as well, such as Pogue, Perkins Switch and others.
Return to Newton
County Historical Society Index
Return to Genealogical Records at INGENWEB.