There are three known burial sites in McClellan Township. The Betz Cemetery is located on the east side of County Road 600 W about one mile north of County Road 100 N in Willow Slough. No stones or record of burials has been found. The land was probably given by the Betz family and sole of the early burials lay have been moved to Oakland Cemetery, as many of the Betz and Hunter families are now buried there. The McClellan or Skinner Ceaetery is located on the east side of the diagonal County Road that leads back into Willow Slough. In earlier times this was the Old Chicago Road and crossed the Vincennes Trail at Momence, Illinois, and continued to Chicago via Kankakee, Wilmington, and Joliet, Illinois. Many of the families who used this cemetery lived along that road. Few stones remain. Many were moed to oakland Cemetery north of Morocco. The Morgan Cemetery also known as the Tracy Cemetery is located on the west side of County Road 600 W about one mile north of County Road 100 N in Willow Slough, and is diagonally across the road from the Betz Cemetery. It was used by black residents of Newton County, and also those who lived across the state line in Illinois. The Betz Cemetery is located in McClellan Township, Newton County, Indiana, on the east side of County Road 600 W about one mile north of County Road l00 N in Willow Slough. Abandoned many years ago there is no visible evidence remaining that this once served as a burial ground. Although located on county maps it is surmised that any burials here were moved to Oakland Cemetery when it became the major burial ground. This cemetery is situated in a triangular plot of ground just across the road and a little south of the Morgan Cemetery. The MCClellan Township cemetery (aka Skinner) is located in Newton County, Indiana, on the east side of the Old Chicago Road, a diagonal road that now leads back into the property of Willow Slough, about 2/1Oths mile north of CR 100 N. There is a faint trail through the woods leading to the cemetery. The 1916 Atlas of Newton County shows a handful of people living along this road, which at that time intersected with the Old Vincennes Trail in Illinois. It appears that they were the ones who used the celemery and that when Oakland cemetery at Morocco was founded, they started using that burial ground. We do know that some of the bodies were moved to Oakland. It appears that the burial ground had been in use since the township was organized. The record of its founding is from the Newton County Recorder Miscellaneous Record 13, Page 114. "Pursuant to notice the legal voters of MCClellan Township met at the School House in MCClellan Township, and on motion A. J. Ellis was elected Chairman, and on motion C. D. Holmes was elected Secretary. It was moved and carried that its name should be known as MCClellan Township Cemetery; and it was moved and seconded and carried that Alonzo M. Skinner, David S. Corkins, and Corrington D. Holmes were elected Trustees of McClellan Township cemetery. Held on the 23rd of April 1887 in McClellan Township, Newton County, State of Indiana. C. D. Holmes, Secretary. I certify that the instrument in writing of which the above is a true copy was recorded on April 30, 1887 at 8 o'clock A.M." Henry P. Parsons, Recorder of Newton County, by Andrew Hall, Deputy. Tbe fews stones remaining are listed in alphabetical order since what stones remain are not in any organized rows. The Morgan Cemetery (aka Tracy) is located in McClellan Township, Newton County, Indiana, northwest of Enos on 600 W and is situated on a sand ridge on the west side of the road; It is a burial site for some of the black residents of Newton County. It is also known as the Tracy Cemetery, for Walter Tracy arranged many of the burials for his friends. Take west of us Highway 41 at Enos onto CR 100 N (state Road 14 goes east), continue to 600 W and turn right (north). Go approximately one mile north just past the firing range. Some large pine trees mark the cemetery on the west side of the road. The land was part of 80 acres owned by Emma L. Morgan in 1916. Emma L. Morgan died January 30, 1922, aged 69 years, in McC1ellan Township and George W. Morgan died there on January 21, 1911, aged 65 years. No record has been found as to the dedication of the land for cemetery use. A few stones are still standing and evidence of metal markers abound, however, the paper contents have long ago vanished. The earliest legible burial is Alma Tetter, died 1904, and the latest burial is Curtis Olauwmi, died 1982. The cemetery is still being used by descendants of some of the original families. It is through the courtesy of Vivian Lee of Kankakee, Illinois, that much of the information has been verified and supplemented. If it were not for her efforts, many of the burials could not have been established. Not much is known of the Morgan family. In the county records we find that Emma Portus married George Morqan on January 10, 1870, and a Clarence Morgan married Nora Portus on April 12, 1872. They may have been brothers and the women may have been sisters. The cemetery is located in section 25 of Fractional Township 30 N, and in Range 10 West of the 2nd P.M.