JOHN C. ALBERT of Paoli, Ind., is one of the men who has figured largely in the history of Orange County during the last four decades. A native of Westmoreland County, Penn., he was born March 5, 1818, one of twelve children of Peter and Frances (Breniman) Albert. At the age of thirteen years he was apprenticed to the tailor's trade, which he completed, and in 1838 emigrated West, soon afterward locating in Paoli. In 1853 he was appointed Treasurer of Orange County, and was afterward elected and re-elected to the same position as a Democrat. In 1863 he was elected cashier of the Bank of Paoli, and it was in this that he met his first heavy financial loss on account of the bank stock being based upon bonds of some of the Confederate States. At the opening of the war he abandoned the Democratic party, with which he had hitherto been connected, and allied himself with the Republicans, where he continued to act until 1872. In that year he supported Horace Greeley, and in 1876 was one of the few men in Orange County who voted for Peter Cooper. Since that time he has acted with the National party, and in 1880 was the nominee of that organization for Congress in the Second Indiana District. Through his marriage with Miss Ellen McVey in 1841 he is the father of four children-two daughters and two sons-both of the. latter dying in the Civil war, and one of which, John C., was killed in the attack upon Fort Wagner, as Captain of Company H, Sixty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mrs. Albert died in 1872, and with her son James was deposited in a vault at Paoli. In February, 1879, Mr. Albert met another heavy loss in the burning of a large hotel at Paoli, which he had for several years been keeping. The loss is said to have been about $30,000, with no insurance. Since then he has been engaged in the real estate business.
DR. LEWIS S. BOWLES was born at French Lick Springs, in Orange County, December 8, 1834. He is one of three children, all sons, born to Thomas C. and Anna (Patton) Bowles, who came from Maryland in an early day, and located in Washington County, Ind. Thomas C. Bowles, while a young man, went South, and for several years had charge of an extensive plantation. Upon his return North he settled in Orange County a short time, but soon after in Washington County; his death occurred in 1840. Lewis S. began the study of medicine in 1850, with Dr. T. C. Kelso, at Livonia, in Washington. County. After attending a course of lectures at the university of Louisville, Ky., he began the practice at French Lick Springs, which he continued for eighteen months, then went to Fredericksburg. In 1865 he located at Paoli, and the following year began doing a retail drug trade, with a stock valued at about $2,200. In this Dr. Bowles has been more than ordinarily successful, and he now has one of the most complete stocks of drugs and druggist’s sundries kept in southern Indiana, and is valued at about $15,000. He owns about 800 acres of land, and in 1874 built the finest residence in Orange County. His marriage with Miss Lizzie Andrews of Fredericksburg, Ind., was solemnized September 25, 1861, and to their union two children have been born, named William T. and James A. He is an ardent Democrat in politics and a member of the Blue Lodge in Masonry. Dr. Bowles has made his own way in life beginning the practice of his profession with $25 of borrowed capital. he is now one of the wealthy and influential men of the county. He has been one of the School Trustees of Paoli for several years and is now a fifth owner in the Orange County Agricultural Association, of which he has been Superintendent ever since its organization in the spring of 1883.
JESSE BOYD, one of the few remaining old settlers of Orange County, Ind., was born in Randolph County, N.C., May 4, 1818, and is the third of six children, only two yet living, born to William and Mary (Hopwood) Boyd, the parents now being dead. The parents of William Boyd were William and Rhoda (Davenport) Boyd, and they were natives of Ireland, coming to this country in the eighteenth century and settling in Virginia. William Boyd, Sr., served the Colonies faithfully in their struggle for independence. Jesse Boyd in 1839 started West on foot from his native country, and after walking 600 miles arrived in Orange County, Ind., where he found employment in the construction of the old turnpike, but afterward engaged in the manufacture of wheat fans. Elizabeth Hollowell became his wife March 13, 1842, and about this time Mr. Boyd engaged in farming,. This has always been his occupation, and although he commenced life's battle a poor boy, he has with the help of his wife accumulated about 1,000 acres of land, but having given about 700 acres to his children he now only owns 300 acres. Mrs. Boyd was born in Orange County, Ind., February 16, 1825, a daughter of William and Martha (Lindley) Hollowell, both sides of her family settling in Orange County previous to 1812. To Mr. and Mrs. Boyd these children have been born: William L., born June 23, 1843; Mary A., born November 1, 1844; Robert H., July 8, 1846; Franklin, March 1, 1848; Ruth E., born September 28, 1849; John T., January 16, 1852 ; Charles, August 25, 1853; Austin, April 25, 1855, died April 16, 1863; Owen C., February 3, 1858; Elwood, November 29, 1859; Martha J., November 10, 1861; James M., May 27,.1864, and Jesse, born July 20, 1866. The mother died May 2, 1881. She was one of the true pioneer women of her day and bravely aided her husband in his efforts to build up a home. Mr. Boyd married his present wife October 12, 1882. She was Miss Maria E. Brown, daughter of Hutcheson and Harriet (Banks) Brown, both of whom are now dead. Hutcheson Brown was one of the early pioneers of Washington County, Ind., and was a typo on the first paper published in that county. Both Mr. and Mrs. :Boyd belong to the Society of Friends.
JOHN H. BRAXTAN, old settler, was born in Paoli Township, Orange Co., Ind., March 1, 1823, son of Jonathan and Mary (Henley) Braxtan, and is of Scotch lineage. The father of Mr. Braxtan was born in North Carolina and his mother was an Ohioan. The former came to what is now Orange County, Ind., at a very early day, probably as early as 1810. His death took place at Kokomo, Ind., in 1879, and there the mother of our subject died the same year. By occupation John E. Braxtan is a farmer and stock-raiser. He settled where he now resides in 1852 and is the owner of 256 acres of well improved land. In 1870, he formed a partnership with John A. Hudelson in the stock-dealing business, which has been one of great profit and which still continues. Mr. Braxtan was married in 1851 to Miss Cornelia A. Patton, a native of North Carolina, and these children were born to this marriage: George E., Mary. F., Rebecca, deceased, James H., Attie, deceased, Joseph G., an infant that died unnamed, Arthur J., and Charles F. Formerly Mr. Braxtan was a Whig in politics, but is now a Republican. Mrs. Braxtan is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. For more than a half century Mr. Braxtan has been a resident of Orange County, where he and family are well known and highly respected.
THOMAS N. BRAXTAN was born in Paoli Township, Orange Co., Ind., January 8, 1824, son of Hiram and Martha (White) Braxtan, and is of Scotch lineage. The parents of Mr. Braxtan emigrated from North Carolina to Orange County, Ind., or the territory that now composes this county, as early, perhaps. as 1810. Here the mother of our subject died in 1853, and his father in 1864. About 1848 Mr. Braxtan began the mercantile business in Paoli, which be continued until 1865. For many years he has been engaged in the manufacture and sale of the Hindostan oil and sand stone. In 1860 he began dealing in stock, and in 1883 he purchased White Cloud, the sire of Flora Bell, whose record at Chicago in 1883 was 2.12 3/4. Mr. Braxtan was formerly a Whig, and is now a Republican. In 1868 he made the race to represent Orange and Crawford Counties in the General Assembly, and was only defeated by forty- two votes, and the Democratic majority in the two counties at that time was more than four hundred. Mr. Braxtan was married in 1848 to Miss Martha Parker, who died in 1850, and in 1852 Mr. Braxtan was married to Miss Emily Campbell, who died in 1856, and in 1860 he married Miss Ada Vance, of Corydon, Ind. Mr. Braxtan is one of the oldest living settlers of Paoli.
GEORGE A. BUSKIRK, Auditor of Orange County, was born at Orangeville, Ind., May 25, 1857. a son of John B. and Maria H. (Ritter) Buskirk, appropriate mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume. In youth he assisted his father and attended the district schools, but afterward entered the State University at Bloomington, where he remained three years. In 1875 he received the appointment of Deputy Clerk of the county, serving as such three years and one year longer as Deputy Auditor. In 1880, when only twenty-three years of age, he was elected to the Auditorship of the county, being the youngest man ever elected to that position in Indiana. In politics he is a staunch Democrat, taking an active interest in the progress and welfare of his party as well as in all matters of a public and beneficial character. Miss Dessie F. Albert, a native of Orange County, Indiana, became his wife on August 20, 1878, and Harry and Fred are the names of their two children. Mr. Buskirk joined the I.O.O.F. in 1881 and one year later was made a Mason. He cast his first Presidential vote for General Hancock in 1880. He is at present Secretary of the Orange County Agricultural Society.
GEORGE W. CAMPBELL, a native of the county of which he is now Treasurer, was born at Lick Creek, August 12, 1843, a son of Maxwell and Sarah (Field) Campbell, who were natives respectively of North Carolina and Kentucky, and who were among the pioneers of Orange County, Indiana. At twenty years of age George W. Campbell began doing for himself, and shortly thereafter engaged in merchandising at Orangeville, which he continued until 1870, when he purchased a farm on Lost River and for three years was engaged in agricultural pursuits. He then opened a store at Lick Creek, and in 1881 established another at Newton Stewart. In 1883 he purchased an interest in the West Baden Springs, and besides this and his extensive mercantile interests, Mr. Campbell owns 550 acres of land which are under his direct supervision. In politics he has always labored in the best interests of the Republican party, and in 1882 was elected County Treasurer, and to his credit be it said that the finances of Orange County have never been entrusted to more competent or trustworthy hands. Mr. Campbell was married in 1866 to Miss Annie Rhodes, and to them two children have been born, named Fannie R. and Noble C. The home of the family is at Lick Creek in French Lick Township.
THOMAS V. CLAXTON was born in Orange County, February 24, 1838, the son of Jeremiah and Delilah (Pierce) Claxton, the father a Kentuckian and the mother a Pennsylvanian. The Claxtons are of Scotch-Irish descent, and the grandfather, Joshua, lived in Kentucky, where he died, leaving a widow with three children. They came to this county in 1830, and later the mother died in 1855 in New Albany. Jeremiah was reared at hard work. His first wife bore him four children, and his second wife, who was Eliza A. Walker, bore him seven. Thomas V. was raised on a farm though his parents resided in Paoli. He received a fair education, and upon reaching manhood began for himself. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-fourth Regiment I. V. I., and was with his command in all the important movements, expeditions and battles through which it passed. At the siege of Vicksburg he was severely wounded in the right temple., but soon recovered. He returned home and commenced farming which he has since continued, and now owns eighty-seven acres of good land. March 14, 1865, he married Rosanna Wells, who has borne him six children: Rolla V., Martha J., Laura E., James T., Charles O. and an infant, deceased. Mr. Claxton is a Republican, a member of the Union Baptist Church and an exemplary man. Mrs. Claxton was born in this county March 6, 1844. Orange, County has no better citizens than the Claxtons.
JOHN G. CLEMENTS was born in this township May 12,1830, son of James and Elizabeth (Garr) Clements, the father a native of Virginia, and the mother of Kentucky. The parents married in Kentucky, and soon after the war of 1812 located in this township, where they reared twelve children, and lived until their deaths. They were excellent people, leaving a name above reproach. John G. was brought up a farmer, and. was educated at the common schools. At the age of twenty-one years he began for himself, working, for $7 per month, and later renting a farm, and still later bought part of the old place, to which he has since, added eighty acres, now owning 180 acres. He did all this by good management and industry. He married Judith A. Sallee, December 19, 1855. She was born in Washington County, this State, December 21, 1832. and has borne her husband five children: James E., Christiana E., Martha A., Mary E. and John A. W. Mr. Clements is comfortably situated, and devotes himself to the intelligent management of his farm. He is a Republican, and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
HENRY COMINGORE was born at Harrodsburg, Ky., May 22, 1813, and was brought up there and in Indiana, to which latter place his parents removed in 1825, locating at Rockville, Parke County. His early education was very meager-consisting of his being able to read, write and cipher a little. In 1828 he wencto Indianapolis, and entered the office of Smith & Bolton to learn the printing business, at which he has since been engaged-a period of about fifty-six years. He is thus the oldest printer in the State having spent more days in the printing office than any other living citizen. Two years after going to Indianapolis, he went to Madison, where Bolton had started another office, but in 1833 he became connected with the publication of the Wabash Herald, whose editor was John Marts. About a year later Mr. Comingore went to Covington and started the Western Constellation, but after two or three years sold out and engaged in milling, but this property was soon destroyed by fire. He then went to Indianapolis and again entered a printing office. In 1839 he came to Paoli and founded the True American, which he conducted until 1846, then went to Jasper and started the American Eagle, which paper he removed to Paoli in 1848 and conducted until 1874. From 1876 to 1878 he conducted the Greenback Advocate. He is at present connected with the Paoli News. His marriage to Miss Cynthia Ann Johnson occurred at Rockville, November 10, 1834, and the following are his children: David O., Mary E., Edward H., Joseph W.. Henry, Jr., and one deceased. Mr. Comingore is an old-fashioned Jacksonian Democrat, and has during his long life rendered his party signal service.
SHADRACH B. A. CONDER is a native of Orleans Township, this county, born November 23, 1829, a son of John and Elizabeth K. (Carter) Conder, who were natives of Kentucky and of Irish-German descent. He was raised on a farm, and in 1847 became a member of Company D of the Regular Army, serving through the Mexican war and at its close was discharged at Jefferson Barracks, Mo. In 1861 he again Vol- unteered his services in his country's behalf,. and for six months belonged to the Twenty-fourth Regimental Band of the United States Army. In 1862 he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant by the Governor, and after recruiting Company E of the Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, was elected First Lieutenant. He served through some of the hardest fought battles and campaigns of the late war, and was honorably discharged at its conclusion. From that time until 1878 Mr. Conder followed merchandising at Orleans, and from then until 1881, when he was burned out, was engaged in the saw and planing-mill business. In politics he was a Whig, but since its organization has been a warm supporter of the Republican party, and as such was elected Sheriff of the county in 1882. Since 1852 he has been a member of the I.0.0.F., and has served in various responsible positions in this order. To his marriage with Miss Amy E. Lee, which occurred in June, 1850, seven children were born, only two yet living. The mother died in 1862, and three years later Mr. Conder selected Miss Sarah J. Webb for his second wife and of the eight children born to their union all are dead but three. Mrs. Conder belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
EDWARD CORNWELL, Recorder of Orange County, and one of its few remaining old pioneers, was born in Jefferson County, Ky., in 1809, and is the seventh in a large family of children born to William and Mary F. (Swan) Cornwell who were natives respectively of Virginia and Maryland. His mother's father was a native of the Old Dominion and her grandfather was born in France. When about twelve years old, Edward Cornwell removed from his native State to Orange County, Ind. In October, 1831, Miss Nancy Johnson, a native of Shelby County, Ky. became his wife, and after bearing a family of seven children, all living but one, Mrs. Cornwell died in 1880. Mr. Cornwell, following the example set by his father, who cast his first Presidential ballot for Jefferson in 1800, is a Democrat, voting first for Jackson as his choice for the Presidency. In 1876 he was elected Recorder of the County, and in 1880 re-elected, serving in this capacity with credit to himself and satisfaction to the public. In 1849 he and wife joined the Regular Baptist Church, of which Mr. Cornwell is yet a member. Mr. Cornwell is remarkably well-preserved for his age, being yet robust and vigorous.
MRS. ELIZABETH COX, widow of William Cox, residing near Paoli, was born in Orange County, N. C., November 19, 1816. When six years old she came with her parents, Joel and Rebecca (Thompson) Cloud, to Orange County, Ind., where her home has ever since been, and where her parents afterward died. Mrs. Cox attended school at what is known as "Hogs' Defeat," in the primitive log schoolhouse of her day. On March 10, 1836, she married William Cox, a native of this county, born in 1813. Mr. Cox was a son of Joseph and Mary (Lines) Cox, who came from Tennessee to Indiana in 1810, and a short time afterward to Orange County. He was reared in his native county and educated in the common schools of the time. When a young man he chose farming for his avocation, and this with milling, constituted his life's occupation. In early times he built a "horse-mill," and being the only one for several miles around was well patronized. The death of Mr. Cox occurred in November, 1857, but his widow still survives him and resides on the old homestead. They were the parents of eleven children and reared them all to manhood and to womanhood. The following are their names in the order of their birth: John, dead; Martha, dead; Joel, Mary, Rebecca, dead; Annie, dead; William and Joseph. The old place now owned by Mrs. Cox, William and Joseph, consists of 160 acres, to which they have added 98 more, and have a saw-mill on the place. John, the eldest son, served in the late war in Company K, Fourteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteers, but died at Cheat Mountain, from exposure.
GEORGE W. DOUGHERTY, proprietor of the Spring Mill near Paoli, is son of Gabriel and Sarah (Scoggins) Dougherty, and was born May 14, 1832, in Stampers Creek Township. Gabriel was a native of Kentucky, and in 1815, at the age of six years, he came to Indiana with his parents who ever afterward made their home in Orange County. He was a soldier in the Mexican war and at the battle of Buena Vista was wounded, and also lost an eye. He was a man of little education and an abundance of ability. He always refused political honors. He was married three times, his first wife bearing him four children, among them George W. She was a widow with one child, as was also his second, by whom he was the father of four more children, and by his third wife ten more, making in all eighteen of his own. George W. Dougherty has always lived in Orange County, and was educated in its common schools. January 5,1853, he was united in matrimony to Maria Ann, daughter of William and Anna (Cornwell) Grigsby, who were among the earliest settlers in Orange County from the South. Mr. and Mrs. Dougherty are parents of ten children; of these Sarah A., William, George, McLellan and Albert are yet living. From his youth Mr. Dougherty has been a miller by trade. In 1878 he purchased and remodeled the Spring Mill, near Paoli, and has since operated it with two sets of buhrs run by water-power, and is doing a good business. Politically he is Democrat and religiously he and wife are Regular Baptists.
NATHAN M. FARLOW. farmer, living on the old Farlow homestead, which was settled by his grandfather, Joseph Farlow, in 1811, was born near where he yet resides, January 5, 1842, and is the youngest of five children born to his father's marriage with Ruth Maris, who was his wife. On the death of Mrs. Farlow when Nathan M. was only about two years old, his father married Mary Hill, by whom he was the father of four children: Jonathan Farlow, son of Joseph and father of Nathan M., was born July 18, 1807, in Orange County, N. C., from whence he removed with his father and mother, the latter being Ruth Lindley, a sister of Zachariah, and daughter of the one who laid out the town of Paoli, in the summer of 1811, and settled on the farm now owned by Nathan M., entering the land from the Government. The original patent for this land is now in possession of the owner of the property. Both the Parents of Jonathan Farlow have long since been dead, as is also Jonathan and his first wife. Jonathan Farlow received a fair edu- cation in youth, and died September 14, 1873. His first wife died November 17, 1843. She was born in Orange County, N. C., July 18, 1814. His second wife is yet living and is in the township. The family, on both sides, were members of the Society of Friends or Quakers. Nathan M. Farlow has never known any home but in Orange County, Ind. He was left motherless when only two years old, and was raised by his uncle, Nathan Farlow, in youth, receiving only a common school education. January 4, 1864, he enlisted as a private in Company F, Thirteenth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry, serving through the engagements in and around Murfreesboro the winter of 1864, afterward going to New Orleans, then to Spanish Fort, and at the surrender of Mobile. From there they returned through Alabama to Mississippi, doing special duty in this State until being mustered out at Vicksburg November 18, 1865. He is the owner of 232 acres of good land. In politics he is Republican, and February 4, 1869, was married to Martha, daughter of Daniel and Mary A.. (Milliken) Cloud, who was born February 21, 1849, in Orange County, Ind., by whom he is the father of four children, named: Elmer, Harry, Mary A. and William. The parents have their church membership with the Quakers. Mrs. Mary (Hill) Farlow, second wife of Jonathan, deceased, is yet living, and resides in southern Paoli Township. Of the four children of which she is the mother, only three are yet living, two living with Mrs. Farlow on a farm of 140 acres. The two oldest children are married. Joseph Farlow, the old pioneer, died July 14, 1845, in his seventy-third year, followed by his widow January 2, 1854, aged nearly seventy four years. The names of the children born to Jonathan Farlow's first marriage were: Jane-Mrs. Mark Hill; Joseph, who first married Hannah J. Hill, who died, then Rebecca Cox, and after her death married Mary E. Hill, and resides in Kansas; Deborah, Mrs. John Atkinson; Thomas, deceased, amd Nathan M. To the union of Jonathan Farlow and Mary (Hill) Farlow, these children were born: Lindley; Ruth, deceased; Ellen, Mrs. Joseph Trimble; Asenath M. The oldest of these-Lindley-married Mary Peacock, and resides with his mother.
GEORGE W. FELKNOR was born in Martin County, Ind., August 18, 1833, the sixth of ten children of William and Prudence (McDonald) Felknor, his parents being natives of east Tennessee, and coming to this State in the fall of 1831, locating in Martin County. About four years later they came to this county and settled on the farm where our subject now resides. Here they lived until their respective deaths, the mother in August, 1847, and the father May 2, 1883. They are excellent people of high respectability. George W. was reared on a farm, receiving a limited schooling. December 27, 1855, he married Elizabeth Pinnick, and to this union fourteen children were born, eleven now living: Emily J., wife of Joseph McCauley; Stephen A. D., who married Mary Miller; Miranda C., wife of James B. Russell; John M. C., James A., Horatio C., Florence A., William A., Prudie, Effie and Noble C. Mr. Felknor is an extensive farmer and stock-raiser. He owns in this and Martin about 1,700 acres of land, of which 800 or 900 are improved. He owns and conducts a saw-mill, and is likewise engaged in the retail liquor business in Paoli. He is a Democrat and a prominent man and good citizen.
JAMES P. HATFIELD was born in Washington County, Ind., April 25, 1837, and passed his youth on a farm, learning the rudiments of both agriculture and education. He remained with his parents until the age of seventeen, and then began the battle of life for himself. In January, 1864, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Twentieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry and served with distinction over two years, and during that memorable period of his life was present at the following engagements: Buzzard's Roost, Burnt Hickory, Peach Tree Creek, siege of Atlanta, Spring Hill, Nashville, Columbus, Franklin and others of less importance. September 19, 1868, he married Lotta Cracraft, and to this union three children were born, two now living, as follows: Winnie and Frances E., both at home with their parents. He and wife are members of the Methodist Church, and he is a prominent Democrat. He was the fifth of six children of John and Susan (Lockhart) Hatfield, both natives of Kentucky. The mother died in 1842, and in 1861 the father came to this State.
***Bob Taylor provides the following addition to this biography: John N. Hatfield and Susan Lockhart, both Indiana natives, were married in Washington County in Feb 1836. Their fifth child, James, was born on April 25, 1847 in that county, where his mother Susan died between 1850 and 1852. John Hatfield married Jane Miller Johnson in 1852; the couple and their children moved to Orange County during the 1870s. (sources: Washington County marriage records, censuses of 1850-60-70-80, Hatfield family Bible)
JACKSON KEYNON was born in Clarke County, Ind., January 28, 1826, being the oldest of eight children of William and Harriet (Jones) Keynon. He was reared on his father's farm at hard work, and received but little education through no fault of his own. His youth was passed without noteworthy event, and upon reaching his majority he began accumulating property for himself. July 15, 1849, he married Mary J. Foote, in Clarke County, and to this union eleven children have been born, seven of whom are now living, as follows: Harriet J., wife of Andrew C. Wells; Clarissa E., who married William S. Walker; William A., who married Rachel Walker; Mary E., who became the wife of Bronson Abel; Charles A., unmarried; Mildred A., wife of James Scarlet, and Marion G. Mr. Keynon has followed farming through life and by gradual additions now has a farm of 190 acres, much of which is yet in timber. He and wife are members of the Methodist Church, and are well known and highly respected. October l9, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Forty-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served with distinction for nearly two years, when he lost his right arm in the siege of Vicksburg and was honorably discharged. For this serious loss he is now drawing a pension of $30 per month. He was in the following battles: Thompson's Hill, Cumberland Gap, Charleston, Va., Arkansas Post and elsewhere, displaying in all great bravery and patriotism. He is a Republican and a prominent man.
JAMES H. McCOY. Among the pioneers of this county was William, the father of our subject, who was born in Washington County, Penn., July 14. 1784, and when a lad moved with his parents to Kentucky, and for a number of years lived in a fort in Bourbon County. He there lived to manhood, and January 16, 1812, married Hannah Mitchell, who was born in that county March 9, 1789. In November, 1819, they immigrated to Orange County, Ind., engaging in farming in what is now Northeast Township. They here won the respect and confidence of a wide circle of acquaintances, and became useful members of the community. September 7, 1860, Mr. McCoy died, followed by his widow, December 1, 1865. They were the parents of eight children, a record of whom is here appended: John A., born October 11, 1812, died October 31, 1883; Granville S., November 17, 1814, died December 3, 1864; Nancy J., March 20, 1817, died the wife of J. W. Gillum, August 12, 1849; Margaret M., March 5, 1820, died September 24, 1821; James H., December 31, 1822; Louisa C., April 3, 1826, now Mrs. Jesse R. Irvin; William P., July 13, 1829, a soldier of the late war in Company B, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, captured at Collierville, Tenn., October 11, 1863, first incarcerated at Libby Prison, and lastly in Andersonville, where he died of starvation in 1864; and Mary, born May 30,1832, died August 31, 1833. James H. McCoy, subject of this sketch, has always made his home in his native county. Early in life he taught school, but latterly has farmed, now owning 280 acres of land. He is a Republican in politics, and in 1882 was elected Trustee of his township, and two years later re-elected. He is one of Orange County's best citizens.
THOMAS L. PHILLIPS was born in Northeast Township, June 23, 1836, and is the son of John Phillips, who was born in Stampers Creek Township in 1812, and grandson of Thomas Phillips, a Virginian. The latter came from Kentucky in 1808, locating first at Corydon, but later in Stampers Creek, though he was soon compelled to return to Kentucky, owing to the hostility of the Indians. They returned in 1810. The Grandfather was in the war of 1812, and was wounded in the arm. His son John married Melissa R. Lewis, and to them were born eight children. The father is the oldest native citizen of the county now living. His son, Thomas L., was reared on a farm, with meager school advantages. December 9, 1863, he married Mary A. Roach, and they have this family: Melissa A., Lovie E., John M., Lydia E., Thomas W., Cora E., Charles M. and Lewis. Mr. Phillips and wife have been saving and industrious, and now have a comfortable home and 278 acres of good land, besides ninety-four acres elsewhere in the county. Mr. Phillips is a Democrat politically, and a useful citizen. Mrs. Phillips was born in Northeast Township April 5, 1848.
ANDREW J. RHODES was born at the county seat of Orange County, Ind., July 7, 1829, a son of William and Jane T. (Meacham) Rhodes, who were natives of North Carolina; immigrated to Orange County, Ind., in 1816; removed to Texas in 1857, where they died in 1864 and 1867 respectively. Until eighteen years of age Andrew J. assisted his father on the home farm, and then began teaching winters and farming summers, which he continued until 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. In 1865 he became the nominee of the Republican party for Treasurer, and was the first Republican ever elected to the office in Orange County. In 1867 he embarked in the furniture trade at Paoli, continuing until 1872, when he was commissioned Postmaster, a position he retained nine years. Mr. Rhodes is at present engaged in general merchandising, and is doing a creditable business, and since 1877 has also been engaged in liverying. He is a Republican and an Odd Follow; was married in 1851 to Miss Elizabeth Pinnick, who died in 1862, leaving three children who are yet living. Miss Anna J. Lee became his second wife in 1865, and by her he is the father of seven children, all living but two. He has been for ten or twelve years prominently connected with the municipal affairs of Paoli, and has contributed more than any other man to the success of her public schools. His self-sacrificing interest in the prosperity of his community is a matter of public knowledge and appreciation.
B. D. RILEY is the eldest son of John and Rachel (Dalby) Riley, born in Floyd County, Ind., December 29, 1831, and is of English descent. The parents of Mr. Riley were born in Yorkshire, England near Bradford, and immigrated to America in 1829, and settled in New Albany, Ind., where his father still resides, and here the mother died in 1881. When our subject was about sixteen years of age he began serving a four years' apprenticeship at the tinner's trade in Now Albany. In 1852 he came to Orange County and opened a stove and tin store at Valeene, and that continued until 1861, when be enlisted in the United States Army, Company F, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteers, and after a service of more than two years he was discharged on account of disability. In 1864 he came to Paoli and opened a store similar to the one he had at Valeene. In 1870 he added a complete line of hardware, and in 1883 purchased his present business block on the south side of the square, and put in a large stock of furniture and agricultural implements. He was married in 1854 to Miss Mary Clayton, of Greene County, Ind. Of nine children born to them these are living: Rachel, John, Mary E., Celia G., James B., Harriet and Joanna. Mr. Riley is a Republican, and one of the leading temperance men of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Riley are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Mason and an Odd Fellow.
JACOB SCHNEIDER, manufacturer and dealer in carriages and wagons, was born in Harrison County Ind., May 4, 1851, son of Jacob and Mary (Muglar) Schneider, and is of French-German descent. In 1870 Mr. Schneider began the blacksmith's trade at Greenville, Ind., where he remained over four years, then came to Paoli and engaged in his present occupation. He was married in 1879 to Miss Hettie A. Wood, of New Albany, and he and wife are among the first families of the place. Politically Mr. Schneider is a Democrat, casting his first Presidential ballot, for Greeley, and in 1880 was elected Town Marshal of Paoli. In 1875 he became an Odd Fellow and in 1879 represented Reliance Lodge No. 130 in the grand Lodge of Indiana. Mr. Schneider began life's battle a poor boy, and with no one to assist him and relying entirely upon himself, he has made what he now owns by hard work and economy. Besides controlling a comfortable trade be is the owner of one of the most convenient and comfortable homes in Paoli.
SOLOMON SCOTT was born in Lincoln County, Ky., May 1, 1834. His grandfather, Thomas Scott, was a native of the Old Dominion and a soldier in the Revolution, and about 1789 moved to Lincoln County Ky. He was twice married and the father of twenty-one children. Elijah Scott, his son, was a native of Lincoln County, Ky., and married Miss Elizabeth Duddevar, also a native of that county. Elijah Scott, followed farming and distilling, and to him and wife were born five children: Solomon, Mary F., Margaret, Josephine and Melinda. The parents always resided in Kentucky. Mrs. Scott died February 12, 1854, and her husband November 9, 1871. Solomon Scott was reared and educated in his native county where he remained until 1860, when he came to this county and for three years found employment with his uncle, Charles Scott, upon a farm. He then purchased a portion of the farm he now resides upon and has since added to it until he now owns 287 acres which is as well stocked and as nicely improved as any farm in Paoli Township. He married Adaline C., daughter of Shelby and Susannah (Throop) Wolf, March 14, 1861, and to this union have been born the following children - Elizabeth, Jefferson T., Elijah S., Hester B., Howard, Cora A. and Maude B. Mrs. Scott was born in Orange County December 15, 1840. Mr. Scott is a Democrat, a member of the Masonic order and possesses social qualities of a high order.
JOHN R. SIMPSON, one of the prominent men of Paoli, Ind., where he was born September 16, 1834, is a son of Arthur J. and Mary A. (Campbell) Simpson, the former a half brother of Nathan Clifford, of the United States Supreme Court. His early education was obtained in the schools of Paoli, and when attaining sufficient years he was sent to the Westfield, Mass., Academy, where his education was completed. May 11, 1858, he married Miss Fannie M. Polk, and of the four children she bore him only two sons are now living. In 1861 he enlisted in the United States Army, and was Adjutant and Second Lieutenant in the Fiftieth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry. In the service of his country Mr. Simpson distinguished himself in several battles, especially so at Parker's Cross Roads, in west Tennessee. He was honorably discharged in 1863, and upon his return home was commissioned a Captain in the Indiana Legion by Gov. Morton, and did active service in capturing the force of the Confederate Capt. Hines. In 1865 he moved to Davenport, Iowa. where he engaged in the wholesale boot and shoe trade for a few years, and where his wife died February 23, 1868, soon after which he moved to Jefferson Valley, N. Y. His second marriage was with Miss Maggie Rankin, December 15, 1870, shortly after which he returned to Paoli, and for a few years was in the practice of law. He was elected County Clerk in 1874, and re-elected in 1878, serving with credit to himself and satisfaction to his constituents. The death of his second wife occurred November 25, 1872, followed soon after by that of her only child-a son. Mr. Simpson's third marriage was solemnized March 23, 1875, with Addie F. Hudelson, by whom he is the father of two children--only one now living. In politics he has always been an uncompromising Democrat, and is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities. Both he and wife belong to the Presbyterian Church at Paoli,in which he has been an Elder for several years. For the past four years he has been President of the Orange County Sunday-school Union, and in that capacity he has been unusually successful in bringing about a healthy condition of the Sunday-schools in the county.