ANDREW J. ABEL, an old citizen of this township [Northwest], was born in the State of Tennessee, December, 1815, being the third of eleven children of William and Rebecca (Cox) Abel. His parents were Virginians and of Anglo-Irish descent, and settled in this county near Orleans about the year 1823, afterward moving to where our subject now resides, where they spent the remainder of their days, well known and respected. At the age of nineteen Andrew, with no education, commenced life for himself. In October, 1834, he married Rebecca Link, who bore him eleven children, eight now living, as follows: John A. J., who married Margaret E. McCauley; George W., whose wife was Lucinda McCracken; Mahala J., who married Jasper Mahan; Samuel T., whose wife was Susan J. McCauley; Julia A., who became the wife of William F. McCracken; Cynthia A., now the widow of John Farrell; Frances P., ummarried, and James B., whose wife was Sarah E. Myers. Mr. Abel has successfully followed farming through life, and now owns 190 acres of good land. In his younger days he "flat-boated" to New Orleans. He is a Democrat and a substantial citizen.
THOMAS BEDSTER, one of the first settlers of this county and a citizen of much prominence, was born in Shelby County, Ky., August 6, 1804, being the youngest of two children of John and Polly (Southern) Bedster. His father was a North Carolinian and his mother a Kentuckian, and both were people of worth and respectability. When Thomas was twenty-two years of age he married Matilda Urton, who bore him six children, four now living, as follows: Ellen M., wife of James Jenkins; Polly A., wife of B. Knight; James A., who married Mary Webb, and Henry T., who married Amanda Barnes. One year after the above marriage Mr. Bedster moved to this State, locating in Harrison County, but two years later came to the farm where he now resides. In 1845 Mrs. Bedster died, and March 13, 1849, he married Millie Frame, who has presented him with four children: George W., John R., Willet L. and Elvira E., all of whom are yet at home with their parents. Mr. Bedster has followed farming through life, and now owns 274 acres. In politics he is a Democrat of the Jacksonian kind.
WILLIAM M. BRENT, M. D., of Newton Stewart, Orange Co., Ind., was born in Henry County, Ky., January 9, 1833. He is the third in a family of ten children, seven of whom are yet living. The parents were Sanford and Nancy (Scott) Brent, both natives of Kentucky, where they still live at Campbellsburg, the father doing an extensive practice as a physician. William M. Brent received a good education in his boyhood, and at the age of sixteen began a course of instruction in South Hanover College, near Madison, Ind. This he continued for four years, and the succeeding five vears he was engaged in teaching school. On the 7th of March, 1854, he was united in wedlock to Miss Magdalene M. Sutton, and their union has been blessed with these children: Valentine S., Hattie R (Cox:), Oscar L., Ella Belle and Nannie (deceased) and Robert E. Dr. Brent began the study of his profession with Dr. Charles Scott, of LaClede, Ill., in 1857, and was afterward graduated from the Medical Department of the Central University at Louisville, Ky. This was in 1860, and he at once located at LaClede, and began the practice, which he continued until he came to Newton Stewart, in 1870. The Doctor enjoys a substantial and lucrative practice, and is doing besides that a drug trade of considerable importance. Mrs. Brent is a member of the Methodist Church, while the Doctor belongs to the Presbyterian Church, and is a member of both the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, and a Democrat in politics.
JESSE CLEMENTS, a prominent farmer of Jackson Township, is a native of Orange County, Ind., and was born September 30, 1865**. He is one of the family of eight children of whom William and Mary E. (Haskins) Clements were the parents. The father and mother were natives of Virginia and Kentucky, and were married in the latter State, whence they came to Indiana in 1830. Jesse was reared by his parents, and he continued his home with them until their deaths. His education is extremely limited, and he has never married. He engaged in the ser- vice of his country in 1861, enlisting in Company 1, Thirty-eighth Reg- iment of Indiana Infantry. From this he was discharged at Nashville, September 19, 1862. He again volunteered, and served until the close of the war. Nearly his whole life has been devoted to agricultural pursuits with good success, and he now owns a farm of 400 acres well improved and cultivated. Mr. Clements is one of the highly esteemed and progressive farmers in Orange County.
**This date is obviously incorrect. According to the 1880 Orange County census, in which Jesse was 45 years old, his year of birth was 1835. --VLH
MATTHEW CLEVELAND, son of one of the early settlers of Orange County, was born in Shelby County, Ky., February 2, 1812, the fourth in a family of thirteen children born to Ezer and Martha (Wadkins) Cleveland, whose respective places of nativity were New York and Virginia, and of English and Welsh descent, having first come to this State in the year 1813, settling in Clarke County, remaining but a short time, thence removing to Paoli Township, Orange County, living there nine years, when he removed to Orangeville Township, and was a resident there until the year 1834, then moving to Lawrence County. Matthew, in consequence of the poor educational facilities, coupled with the farm duties which devolved on him in aiding his parents, received a very limited education. The day after attaining his majority, February 3, 1833, he married Elizabeth Jenkins. To their union four children have been born, of which these three are now living: Jane, wife of Samuel Slusser; William J. who married Anna Pickthall; and Louisa, consort of Harlan D. Burnett. By occupation Mr. Cleveland is a farmer, although he has retired from actively performing any of the duties of that vocation, having deeded his land to his children in consideration of support by them. He is a member of the Baptist Church--his wife of the Christian Church. In politics he is a Democrat.
CHRISTOPHER COX, of Jackson Township, Orange Co., Ind., was born September 8, 1827, in the same township where he now resides [Jackson]. He is the youngest in a family of eight children born to Thomas and Elizabeth (Ash) Cox, who were natives of North Carolina and Kentucky. They came from the latter State to Orange County about the year 1816, where they ever after lived, and are now buried in the Cane Creek cemetery. Christopher Cox received a common school education, and remained at home with his parents until his marriage with Miss Elizabeth Parks on January 1, 1846. To this union a family of eleven children have been born, and named as follows: David, Ellen, Thomas A., Amelia A., Charles, Henry, Catharine, Samuel, John, Nicy and Perry M. He has made farming and stock-raising his lifelong occupation and he now owns 600 acres of land, well improved and cultivated. In religion both Mr. and Mrs. Cox are members of the Christian Church. He is a Republican in politics and has served as Township Trustee eight years, Justice of the Peace four years, and as County Commissioner nine years, and in all public offices has proved himself an able and officient officer. Since he was seventeen years of age he has preachod, laboring most of the time for his own church and in his own county.
THOMAS FLICK, a prominent citizen and farmer of Jackson Township, Orange County, Ind., where he was born October 15, 1821, is one of twelve children born to Christopher and Polly (Cox) Flick. The parents were natives of Pennsylvania and Kentucky, immigrating, from the latter State to Orange County in an early day. Christopher Flick became one of the prominent men of his community and was owner of a large landed estate. He was a leading member of the Christian Church and for more than thirty-five years was a minister in that organization. Thomas was the third son and sixth child of his parents, with whom he lived until his twenty-fourth year. His education was limited to such as could be obtained in the primitive schools of his day. Miss Letitia Williams became his wife August 21, 1845, and by her he is the father of nine children, named John T., Polly J. (Gass), George W., Martha A. (Kelems), Elvira (Kelems), Louisiana (Bledsoe), Isaac M. and two who died in infancy unnamed. Farming and stock-raising has been Mr. Flick's life occupation and he now owns 555 acres of land and his wife 210 acres. She is a member of the Christian Church and he is a Democrat in politics. He was formerly one of the Township Trustees and has always been among the foremost men in Jackson Township, enjoying the esteem of all who know him.
JOHN H. GILLIATT is the third child and oldest son in a family of eleven children born to Albert and Elizabeth (Leech) Gilliatt. The parents were both natives of Virginia, where they were married, and about the year 1837 they immigrated to Orange County, having made that their home ever since. John H. Gilliatt, their son, was reared to manhood by his parents, and after the breaking out of the Rebellion he enlisted in the service of his country in Company A, Forty-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged on account of disability at New Orleans, January 4, 1864. Two years after returning home he was married to Miss Lucinda Kendall, January 11, 1866. The names of their ten children are: Jemima A., Rosa L., Nancy E., Hiram F., John T., Cora E., William M., Lumus D., Iona and Gracy L. Mr. Gilliatt is now farming on his own farm of 180 acres, and is successful in that and in stock-raising. He is a Democrat in politics, and a member of the Grange.
JOHN H. GILLIATT, SR., of Greenfield Township, was born in Rockbridge County, Va., June 9, 1836, a son of William and Mary (Teaford) Gilliatt, both natives of that State. They immigrated to Floyd County, Ind., in 1840, and in the following year to Orange County, locating on the same place where they still reside. William Gilliatt was one of the first Township Trustees under the old system. He is a Democrat in politics and a highly respected citizen. John H. remained at home with his parents until twenty-two years of age, having acquired a common school education. Soon after that age he formed a partnership with some of the Teafords and built the mill at Unionville. He continued in that about ten years, and then sold out. Since then he has paid his attention to farming and stock-raising, and takes a special pride in breeding good sheep. His farm consists of 320 acres of land fairly improved. He is a member of Paoli Lodge, No. 119, A. F. and A. M. In politics he is a Democrat, and is one of the foremost citizens in his community.
NATHAN P. GILLIAT, a native of the county in which he yet resides, and the present Trustee of French Lick Township, was born in Jackson Township, November 19, 1840, and is the oldest of five sons and three daughters born to John and Elizabeth (Wineteer) Gilliat. His father was a native of Virginia, where he was raised and from whence he came to Orange County, Ind., on horseback, either the fall of 1838 or spring of 1839. He both purchased partially improved land and entered some from the Government, and about a year after his location married; his wife's people, the Wineteers, being natives of Kentucky, and coming from there to near French Lick in this county. John Gilliat was a farmer, an honest, industrious man. He died in 1877, preceded by his first wife in 1872. His second wife was a Mrs. Adaline Brewbeck, a widow lady, by whom he became the father of two more children. His last wife is yet living, and is the wife of Isaiah Kendall. Nathan P. Gilliat was raised in Orange County, and has never known any other home. He received but very limited educational advantages in youth, because of being the eldest of the children, and his aid being needed by his father on the home farm. In October, 1861, when the country was in peril, he volunteered, and early in November was mustered in as private in Company A, Forty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the siege and capture of Vicksburg, and next in the Jackson campaign, then back to Vicksburg, and from there went to New Orleans, on the way engaging in the battle of Arkansas Post. About this time he went home on recruiting duty. In May, 1863, he rejoined his regiment at New Orleans, and remained there until the close of the war. Mr. Gilliat was honorably discharged from the service in November, 1864, wearing a Sergeant's chevrons. In January, 1865, he married Miss Jemima Kendall, and since has been farming in French Lick Township, where he owns 320 acres. To him and wife eight children have been born, whose names are: Nancy E., John T., Lucy M., Hiram H., William H. (deceased), Robert L., Mary A. and Charles E. The mother was a daughter of Hiram and Nancy (Gregory) Kendall, and was born in May, 1843. She was a member of the Christian Church, a faithful and loving wife, a fond and devoted mother, and a woman of many exceptionally good traits of character. She died September 15, 1882. Mr. Gilliat is a Democrat in politics, and served one term as Trustee of his township by appointment, and is now serving his second term by election.
GEORGE W. KING, a resident of Greenfield Township, Orange County, Ind., where he was born May 14, 1842, is one of six living children in a family of twelve that were born to Robert and Hannah (Livingston) King. The parents were natives of Kentucky, and came to Indiana while single. George W. King remained with them until their deaths, which occurred in 1870 and 1873. In the common schools of his boyhood Mr. King received a good education. He was joined in wedlock to Nancy A., daughter of Moses and Lucy (Zaring) Roberts, September 9, 1869. A family of seven children is the result of this union, born and named as follows: Hannah J., February 1, 1871; Emma A., October 31, 1872; James W., January 26, 1874; Susan A. R., February 7, 1876; Thomas M., April 7, 1878; Lucy F., August 16, 1880, and Louisa B., December 12, 1882. Farming has been Mr. King's occupation through life, and he now owns 454 acres of good land, well supplied with necessary buildings. He and wife are members of the Regular Baptist Church, and enjoy the high opinion of their neighbors. Mr. King is a Democrat in politics.
ISAAC McCUNE, a prominent farmer in Jackson Township, Orange County, Ind, is a native of Jessamine County, Ky., and was born February 21, 1817. He is one of the large family of fifteen children born to James and Kirich (Dean) McCune, both natives of Kentucky and of Irish descent. They settled in Orange County in 1828. Isaac remained at home with his parents until twenty-three years of age, receiving but a limited education in the early schools of his time. He was united in matrimony on December 19, 1839, to Miss Elizabeth Pinnick, and although having no children of their own, eight orphans have been reared and educated by them and the ninth one is now living with them. Farming and stock-raising has been his business, and he now owns 280 acres of land, a part of which is in Dubois County. In religion Mr. and Mrs. McCune are members of the Christian Church, to which organization they have belonged ever since 1842. Politically he is a Democrat. James McCune, the father, served in the war of 1812, and succeeded in amassing much of this world's goods, which he liberally bestowed upon his children. His family lived to manhood and womanhood except two.
JAMES McDONALD is one of the following family: Peter, Mary, Phoebe, James, Nancy A., Daniel, Sarah J., Margaret, Charles and William, and was born in Mercer County, Ky., November 1, 1819. The parents of this large family were Daniel and Catharine (Vannest) McDonald, the father a native of Virginia and the mother of Kentucky. Their marriage occurred in Kentucky, and in 1820 they came to this county for permanent settlement. James was reared a farmer, and at the age of fourteen years lost his mother and at the age of nineteen lost his father by death. His advantages were limited, but he managed to secure the rudiments of an education. September 1, 1842, he married Miss M. Babbitt, daughter of John and Nancy (Hughes) Babbitt, and to this union eight children were born: Martha, Margaret, Catharine, Jonathan, Nancy, John, Mary A. and Elizabeth. Mrs. McDonald died November 13, 1859, and November 22, 1862, Mr. McDonald married Lucinda T., daughter of Jacob and Maria (Lemon)Cole, who has borne him seven children, as follows: William E., Emma A., Rhoda B., Charles H., Elzara, James and George 0. Mr. McDonald has made farming his life occupation, and now owns 240 acres. He is a member of the Christian Church and his wife of the Methodist Church. He has served as Justice of the Peace and as Township Trustee, and is one of the county's best citizens.
JOHN McDONALD was born in this county November 2, 1853, and is one of the following family: Martha (deceased), Margaret, Catharine, Jonathan, Nancy, John (our subject), Mary Ann and Elizabeth, children of James and M. (Babbitt) McDonald. The father was a Kentuckian and the mother a North Carolinian. The father came to this county with his parents in 1825, and here his marriage occurred. He is yet living, well advanced in years and well respected. His wife died November 13, 1859, and in November, 1862, he married Lucinda T. Cole. John passed his youth without prominent event. March 9, 1875, he married Evarilla, daughter of John and Sarah Moon, and to this union four children have been born, as follows: Cora A., Minnie B. (deceased), Walter S. and James F. Mr. McDonald owns forty acres of land, but has made school teaching his business, having not missed a winter's term for eleven years. He is one of the most experienced instructors of the county, and much of his education was gained by self-application. He served as County Surveyor from 1876 to 1880, with much credit He is a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. Both are highly esteemed. Mrs. McDonald was born April 1, 1853.
JESSE B. MOON was born in this county August 8, 1844, and is of the following family: Hiram, William, Jehu, John, Jesse B., James, Elizabeth, who became the wife of John Whitman, and Evarilla, who married John McDonald. The parents were John and Sarah (Pirtle) Moon, natives of North Carolina. Their respective families came to this county about the year 1824, and were therefore old settlers, or rather, pioneers. Here the parents were married. Jesse B. lived at home until his marriage, receiving quite a liberal education, considering the inefficiency of the public schools, and the comparatively few number of the subscription schools at that time. January 20, 1868, he married Mary E., daughter of Stephen and Martha E. (Bullington) Trinkle, and to this union have been born six children: Martha, William B., Sarah E., Lilly E., James R. and Perry F. Mr. Moon owns a farm of 181 acres, and is a successful farmer, and an exemplary man. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1878, and still holds the office, and is a Democrat. August 8, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Sixty-sixth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was with it in all the engagements, marches, etc., until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. He is now a member of the G. A. R., and is one of the county's best citizens.
AARON A. J. PICKENS, merchant at Millersburg, Ind., was born in Paoli Township, Orange County, March 14, 1850, one of the thirteen children of Lemuel and Mahala (Speers) Pickens. His parents were among the early settlers of Orange County, coming from Shelby County, Ky. His father, Lemuel, was one of the influential citizens of the county, and was at one time County Commissioner, and his death was occasioned by his team running and killing him almost instantly, Decem- her 2, 1880. Aaron Pickens was well educated in the country schools of his boyhood, and he has been engaged all his life in farming. He owns a farm of 152 acres in Stampers Creek Township, where he moved in 1872. January 4, 1871, he marriecl Nancy J. Cornwell, by whom he is the father of three children: Willis E., Daisy D. and Harry R. In March, 1884, in company with James Polson he began doing a general merchandise trade at Millersburg, with a stock of goods valued at about $3,000, and they are doing a splendid business. Mr. Pickens is a Democrat, and as such was appointed Trustee of his township in the fall of 1881. In the spring following he was elected his own successor, and re-elected in 1884. As a public officer he has given the best of satisfaction.
ELIJAH J. PINNICK is a native of township [French Lick] and county where he now resides, and was born February 3, 1820, a son of James and Mary (Cobb) Pinnick. The father was a native of Kentucky, and came to Orange County in 1815, and entered in what is now French Lick Township. He remained here the balance of his life, raising a family of twelve children. Elijah Pinnick remained with his parents during his youth and early manhood, receiving only a moderate education, such as the primitive schools of that day afforded. On the opening of the Mexican war he enlisted in 1846, in Company B, Second Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He served for one year and was then discharged at New Orleans. The only battle at which he was engaged was that of Buena Vista. Returning from the war he made his home with his father, until his marriage. That occurred December 23, 1848, when Mary A. McBride became his wife. The result of this union is a family of nine children, five of which are still living. His wife's death occurred June 26, 1868, and on January 31, 1869, his second marriage was solemnized. By this wife, whose maiden name was Drusilla Cobb, he is father of four children. On November 8, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Forty-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, as Second Lieutenant. This he resigned April 9, 1862 on account of his failing health. He is now one of the prominent farmers of his township, owning 160 acres of good land. He is a member of the G.A.R., and a Republican in politics.
JOHN W. PINNICK, a citizen of Jackson Township, Orange County, was born in Warrick County, Ind., February 24, 1829. He is the third of nine children born to Elijah and Lucinda (King) Pinnick. The parents were both natives of Kentucky, were married in Warrick County, and located in Orange County in 1834, and where they both died. Having received but a common school education he began doing for himself at the age of seventeen, and his life has been mostly spent in agricultural pursuits. On February 26, 1850, he was united in matrimony to Miss Harriet A., daughter of Septimus and Lucy (Smith) Tomlinson. The result of this union is a family of eleven children, whose names are: Sarah E. (Johnson), Martha A. (Harmon), Charles H., Leroy A., William H., John T., Grant, Sherman S., Sheridan S., Raymond T., and Porter A. Mr. Pinnick enlisted in Company G, Forty-ninth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, on November 8, 1861, and served his country as a soldier three years, and was discharged at Indianapolis, November 29, 1864, by reason of the expiration of his term of enlistment. He was elected Township Trustee in 1878, and served in that capacity for two years, during that time having built four schoolhouses. Politically he is a Republican. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are highly respected by their neighbors.
THOMAS C. PINNICK, one of the prominent farmers of Jackson Township, Orange County, was born in Dubois County, Ind., Novmeber 6, 1828. He was the fifth of twelve children born to William and Susannah (Harmon) Pinnick, both natives of Kentucky. William Pinnick came to Indiana with his brothers, Nathan, John and James, and settled near French Lick Springs about the year 1810. He and his wife both died in Jackson Township in 1844, having been for a long time prominent members of the Christian Church. Until his father's death Thomas C. made his home with his parents, and had received a fair education at that age. After then he farmed, and during the winters attended school until he was of age. Miss Lettis S., a daughter of Abraham and Elizabeth (Chumley) Barr became his wife on November 2, 1851, and to their union four children have been born: named: William F., James B., Elizabeth M. (Vowells) and Mary A. (Barker). During most of his life Mr. Pinnick has been engaged in farming, and he now owns 280 acres of land, well improved, and on this he raises a considerable quantity of stock. On March 22, 1865, he enlisted in Company D, Fifty-third Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry, where he served until July 22, 1865, and was discharged by reason of the close of the war. In politics he is a Republican. Both Mr. and Mrs. Pinnick are members of the Christian Church, and among the highly esteemed people of their community.
WILLIAM W. PINNICK, a native of this county, was born February 6, 1837, being the fourth of ten children of John and Jane (Farris) Pinnick. John Pinnick was a native of North Carolina, and his wife of Kentucky, both of Germanic descent with slight admixtures from other nationalities. Their marriage took place in this State, whereupon they moved to Kentucky, but in about five years returned and settled in this county. William W. passed his youth on a farm, receiving slight education, owing to failing eyesight. In November, 1861, he volunteered in Company G, Forty-ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served for three years, receiving his discharge at New Orleans, November, 1864. He was in the following engagements among others: Middle Bell, Log Mountain, Arkansaas Post, etc. February 1, 1866, he married Susan E. Pierce, who has borne him six children: Rufus E., Marietta, Oscar F., C.J., Ida G., and T.M., all of whom are at home with their parents. Mr. Pinnick is a farmer with over 250 acres of land and good buildings and is a Democrat. His grandfather Pinnick was a Revolutionary soldier, and two of his brothers were in the Union army during the last war, one gallantly laying down his life for his country at Collierville.
JOHN A. RITTER, M.D., of the firm of Ritter & Carter, was born in Jessamine County, Ky., January 3, 1819, being the youngest of three children born to John and Agnes (Butler) Ritter. His father was a native of Kentucky, his mother of Virginia, the former dying in his native State, while our subject was quite young. John came to Indiana in about 1839, his mother having preceded him one year. After receiving an ordinary education he commenced reading medicine, which he abandoned at the end of one year, again resuming the study three years later, then taking a course of lectures at Louisville, graduating at Indianapolis some time later. October 28, 1845, he married Margaret Carter, and nine children have been born, of whom seven are living: Harriet F., wife of Lewis P. Brown; John A., who married Sarah Jackman; Thomas B., whose wife was Mattie Easley; William V., who married Kittie E. Elrod; James K., Orlando H. and Margaret E. B. Those deceased are Theophilus C. and Mary M. The Doctor has long enjoyed a large and lucrative practice over quite an exent of territory, having succeeded in amassing quite an amount of property, owning about 1,000 acres of land. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is Trustee and Steward. He also belongs to the Odd Fellows' fraternity. In November, 1860, he enlisted as a volunteer private, and in the organization of the company he was chosen Captain; later he was promoted to the office of Regimental Surgeon, and was in the service two years, participating in a number of important engagements, and was discharged on account of disability. In politics he is a stanuch Republican. Dr. Ritter has long taken an active interest in the continuance and prosperity of the County Medical Society, of which organization a fuller account is found elsewhere.
THOMAS SANDERS was born November 5, 1831, being one of the following children of John and Sarah Sanders: Thomas, William, Elizabeth (wife of Andrew J. Pearson), John, Eli, Charles, Isaac N., Aaron and Samuel. The parents were natives of North Carolina, and excellent people. Our subject's paternal grandparents came to this county in 1808, and his maternal grandparents in 1807, and both families were therefore among the very first in the county. John Sanders, father of Thomas, was an exemplary citizen and a useful public man, serving with fidelity in the various township offices. His death occurred July 3, 1876; his wife survived him at the age of seventy. Both belonged to the Christian Church. Thomas passed his youth at work on the farm, and September 26, 1852, married America Maxedon, daughter of Robert and Mary (Pearson) Maxedon, and to them eight children have been born: Mary E., who married J.W. Tower; Sarah E., who married J.E. McIntosh; John M., Rachel, who married J.A. Weathers; Anna, who married J.L. Walker; Robert W., Nancy, Jane and Franklin E. Mr. Sanders is comfortably situated, owning 176 acres of land. He is a Democrat and an influential man, and his wife is a member of the Christian Church.
AARON SPEER, County Commissioner, was born in Orange County, Ind., November 3, 1820, and is the third son of Moses and Anna Speer, whose maiden name was Voris, and is of German-Irish lineage. The father of Mr. Speer was born in North Carolina and his mother was a native of the Old Penn State. The Speer family came to Orange County in its pioneer days and began at once to clear a farm from the then dense and almost unbroken forest. The father of our subject died in this county in 1841, and his mother, who is now ninety-five years of age, resides with her son. Mr. Speer spent his earlier years in attending the district schools, working on the farm and teaching school, at which he was very successful, and has taught as many as twenty terms in Orange County. By occupation he is a farmer, and now has nearly 200 acres of well-improved land. His marriage occurred in 1852 to Miss Mary M. Frost, who bore him two children, and died in 1857, and in 1858 Mr. Speer was married to Miss Mary M. Fulton, a native of Orange County, Ind. To this union have been born four children, all of whom deceased. Politically Mr. Speer is a staunch Democrat, and for many years has been identified with the interests of that party. Formerly he held the office of School Examiner, and in 1876 was elected County Commissioner, and re-elected to the same office in 1880, and is now President of the Board. For twenty-nine years he has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and has been a local minister in that church for twenty years. Mrs. Speer is a member of the same church. For more than a half century Mr. Speer has been a resident of Orange County, and is one of its best citizens.
JOHN R. SUTHERLIN is the son of Charles and Frances (Nugent) Sutherlin, and was born in Orange County, Ind., March 11, 1850. His father, Charles, was a native of the "Old North State," where he was born in the year 1795. The Sutherlin family came to Orange County at the very early date of 1811, where they encountered many hardships, not only from the lack of comforts and conveniences, but from danger from the wild animals and Indians. The war of 1812 caused the Indians to take up the hatchet, and the early settlers were forced for safety to take refuge in block-houses and forts until danger was passed. Charles was a farmer but operated a tread-power saw-mill in early times. John R. was reared a farmer. December 2, 1880, he wedded Eugenie, daughter of Dawson L. and Nancy (Davis) Woodard. This lady was born in Washington County, February 1, 1860, and has presented her husband with one child, Ida G., born August 15, 1882. The parents are members of the Christian Church and worthy people.
HANSON TALBOT, a prominent old settler of this township [Northwest], was born in Scott County, Ky., August 30, 1809, being the second of ten children of Gassaway and Sarah (Gillums) Talbot, both natives of Maryland. The parents were industrious and exemplary people who came to this county about the year 1825, where they lived honored and respected until their deaths. Hanson remained with his parents on the farm at hard work and with no such educational advantages as exist at present, until he reached the age of twenty-two, when he was married, December 28, 1831, to Mary Allegay, and to their union eleven children have been born, six now living: Thomas, who married Parthena Kirk, since deceased; Shadrach, whose wife was Albertine Zine; Evaline, who became the wife of John Gerkin; Samuel, who married Sarah Pipher; Hannah E., the wife of Edmund Barclay, and Rosa Z., wife of Charles Neidefer. December 9, 1881, Mr. Talbot lost his wife and life-long companion by death. He has been a successful farmer, and now owns about 475 acres of land, probably half of which is in timber. He is a Democrat, and during the war, though far over age, was Captain of a company of Home Guards.
THOMAS B. WALKER, a merchant of Orleans, Ind., was born in Virginia, December 23, 1806, a posthumous son of William Walker, who was by his wife Jane (Burton) the father of four children. Soon after this, his mother with her family moved to Shelby County, Ky., where she died, leaving T. B. an orphan at the age of nine years. Until sixteen years old he was reared upon a farm, but at that age he began the harness-and-saddler's trade, and worked at this in both Shelbyville and Louisville, Ky. Somewhat later he went into that business for himself at Brownsville. In 1827 he changed his place of business to New Albany, Ind., where he remained until he located at Orleans in 1854. From 1845 to 1849 he served as Sheriff of Floyd County. Upon his location in Orleans he began a general merchandising business, as one of the firm of Walker & Richards. This continued until the death of Mr. Richards in 1877, since which time the style of the firm has been Walker & Son, and is among the thriving business houses of Orleans. Mr. Walker has been twice married, the first time in 1832, to Nancy C. Woodruff, of New Albany. By her he is the father of eleven children, seven now living: William S., Thomas W., Mary A., Sarah J., Nancy C., Martha E., and Edward P. Thomas W., a Brevet Major in the late war, and graduate of West Point, is a prominent attorney of Philadelphia. Mrs. Walker died February 15, 1873, and Mr. Walker's second marriage was August 30, 1877, with Mrs. Margaret Parks. He is a Baptist in religion and a Democrat in politics.
WILLIAM R. WALKER, a descendant of two pioneer families of Orange County, and a well-to-do farmer of Northeast Township, was born in the year 1830, the eldest child born to Alexander and Elizabeth (Standerford) Walker. Alexander Walker was a native Kentuckian, a Captain of the war of 1812, and a pioneer of southern Indiana and this county. William Standerford, father of Elizabeth Walker, was also an old soldier, serving in the battle of Orleans, and becoming one of the first settlers of this county. William R. Walker has never known any home but his native county, and here, by an upright life he has gained the respect of all his follow men. In 1853 Elizabeth, daughter of Jefferson and Miriam (Brooks) Finley, became his wife, and two children blessed their union, named: William H., and Mary, now Mrs. J. R. Fields. The mother was born April 10, 1830, and died March 23,1882. For his second and present wife Mr. Walker married Sallie E., daughter of William and Harriet Baker. He and wife are members of the Methodist and Baptist Churches respectively.
JOSEPH WEEKS was born in Paoli Township, Orange County, Ind., January 22, 1828, the youngest of eight children of Joseph and Lydia (Montgomery) Weeks. Joseph Weeks, Sr., came to Indiana in June, 1811, at that time a single man, but was soon after married and became one of the substantial men of his neighborhood. His son Joseph was educated in the common schools of his day, and during all his life has engaged in farming. Excepting the first year of his life he has always lived on the same farm where he now resides, and which consists of 240 acres. In June, 1852, his marriage with Eunice Trueblood was solemnized, and to them nine children have been born, these six now living: Anderson, Sarah, Perry, Nathan L., Ollie and Addie. Mrs. Weeks is a member of the Quaker Church at the Beech Grove Society near where they live. Mr. Weeks was formerly a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, and is now a Republican in politics, having left the Whig party for that in 1860. He usually takes a good healthy interest in public affairs of his county.
WILLIAM WEEKS, of Greenfield Township, is one of the oldest native-born residents of Orange County, Ind. His birth occurred May 31, 1813, and he is the oldest of eight children born to Joseph and Lydia (Herald) Weeks. The parents were natives of North Carolina, whence they came to Indiana in 1811, with other emigrants, and were soon after married. William Weeks acquired such education as the early subscription schools of his boyhood afforded. His home was with his parents until his marriage, which occurred September 16, 1836. His wife was Miss Dinah William, who bore him but one child, named Willis S. She was a member of the Society of Friends. About ten years after her death Mr. Weeks was married to Miss Martha Collins, by whom he was the father of three children: Joseph, Lydia E. and Henry H. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died August 17, 1855. On February 14 of the following year he took for his third wife Mrs. Sarah (Giles) Leonard, and to them have been born one son--John H. During his whole life Mr. Weeks has paid his attention to farming, and he now owns a farm of 132 acres, very well improved and cultivated. Both he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In early life he was a Whig in politics, but when that party went down he allied himself with the Republican party, and has so remained ever since. He is one of the substantial and highly respected men in his community, and a worthy citizen of the county.