JOHN AGAN is one of the following children of James and Catherine (Bingman) Agan: William, Christian B., Henry, James L., John, Mary, Alfred, Betsey Ann, Francis, Benjamin M. and Lee. He was born in this township [Southeast] December 14, 1836, and was reared a farmer, securing a limited education by his own efforts. Upon reaching his majority he began doing for himself, and has made farming his life occupation, and now owns 160 acres of fertile land. His wife was Electa E., daughter of Anthony and Mary (Osborn) Highland, and bore him the following children: Louis E., deceased; Mary C., deceased; James W., Frances A., Martha E., John M., Leroy, Hettie M., Electa A., Bertha J. and Maggie F. Mr. Agan is a Democrat and an Odd Fellow, and a prominent man. His wife was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, November 9, 1839, and her father came to this county in 1854. Our subject's parents were excellent people, members of the Methodist Church, and both lie buried on the old homestead on Section 20.
ABNER W. ALLEN, a prominent citizen of Greenfield Township, Orange County, Ind., was born in Mercer County, Ky., February 7, 1819. His parents, Eli and Elizabeth (McDonald) Allen, came to Orange County the same year of his birth. In youth, he shared the privileges common to that day for obtaining an education, and during the time of his minority resided at his father's home. He was united by the bonds of matrimony to Miss Margaret Agan, on March 22, 1846, and to their union seven children have been born, only one, Mary E., whose birth was March 1, 1860, now living. Mr. Allen has been a farmer all his life, and is one of the worthy and influential men in his neighborhood. He is a Democrat in politics, and served the people of his township as Trustee for three years. He served his country in the Civil war, enlisting in Company H, Forty-fourth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry, where he remained until the close of the war, and was honorably discharged at Chattanooga, Tenn., July 3, 1865.
ALFRED APPLE, farmer and stock-raiser of Greenfield Township, was born in Guilford County, N.C., January 1, 1833. He is the fifth in a family of ten children born to John and Mary (Loman) Apple, who came to Orange County, Ind., in 1839. The parents were among the best citizens of the county, and John Apple, the father, owned a large amount of real estate. He took an active interest in the political affairs of his day, and served his township as Trustee several terms under the first public school system. Alfred Apple lived with his parents until his marriage and during his minority; acquired a good common school education. On the 25th of March, 1856, he was married to Sarah, a daughter of Henry and Rosanna (Huffines) Low. Their union has been blessed with six children, named and born as follows: Anderson, January 24, 1860; Galena, November 25, 1862; Horten, January 4, 1865; Columbus A., January 11, 1868; Alfred A. M., November 23, 1874, and Arnold E., October 27, 1877. Mrs. Apple was born June 11, 1837. Both the parents are members of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Apple has been a successful farmer, and now owns 840 acres of land; is a Democrat in politics, and takes considerable interest in county affairs.
JOHN L. APPLE is a prominent farmer of Greenfield Township, Orange County, Ind., where he was born October 13, 1846. His parents are John and Mary (Lowman) Apple, who raised a family of eleven children, John L. being the ninth son, he received a common school education in the district schools of his neighborhood. Until four years after his marriage, which occurred March 26, 1868, he made his home with his parents and engaged in agricultural pursuits. Hitherto this has been his only occupation, and he owns a good farm of 300 acres, raising a considerable amount of stock. His wife is Nancy A., daughter of John and Elizabeth (McDonald) Parks, and by her he is the father of four children, named, Savanna, Mary E., Stella and John A. T. His wife is a member of the Baptist Church, and he belongs to the Christian Church, is a Democrat in politics, and one of the young and energetic farmers of the county who shares the high opinion of all who know him.
SOLOMON APPLE is one of the prominent citizens of Greenfield Township, Orange County, Ind. He is a farmer and owns 455 acres of good land improved with ordinary farm buildings. His wife, Barbara J., is a daughter of George and Mary (Palmer) Teaford, and their marriage was celebrated, January 29, 1859. These eleven children are theirs: Andrew J., Milton, Mary P., Henry J., Elzora, Margaret, Edward, Clara A., Linus and two deceased infants. The parents are both members of the United Brethren Church, and active in supporting that and all other praiseworthy enterprises of the community. He is a Democrat in politics and belongs to one of the leading families in Orange County, and the same can be said concerning his wife. Mr. Apple is one of the ten children of his parents, who were John and Mary (Lowman) Apple, natives of North Carolina, where Solomon was born in Guilford County, May 10, 1838. Not long after this the family immigrated to Orange County, Ind., where their home has ever since been.
DR. JAMES BAKER, of Millersburg, was born in Woodford County, Ky., March 29, 1814. Immediately after this his parents moved to what is now Stampers Creek Township, Orange County, Ind., where the Doctor's home has ever since been. His education is not extensive, having been limited to the early country schools of his time. The first part of the Doctor's life was passed upon the farm, and he worked some at the shoemaker's trade. About the age of twenty-six years he began the study of medicine at odd hours between his labors. Having sufficiently qualified himself, he began the practice of his profession about the year 1850, and has continued it ever since with good success. He is a member of the Christian and his wife of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Doctor is a Republican, and has been such ever since 1860, prior to which time he was a Whig. He was at one time Justice of the Peace of Stampers Creek Township, and is the present Postmaster at Millersburg. His nuptials with Miss Sarah Burgess were celebrated July 3, 1834, and the fruits of this union were nine children, only three of whom are now alive: Mrs. Lizzie Marshall, Almon V., and Mrs. Sarah E. Byrum. Dr. Baker is one of the highly esteemed citizens of Orange County, where he has lived to be one of its very old settlers.
JAMES M. BAKER was born in Orange County, Ind., in 1826, a son of Rev. William and Harriet (Coward) Baker, both of whom were natives of Kentucky. Rev. William Baker was born on Independence Day, 1804; came with his people to Orange County, Ind., in 1811; became a Missionary Baptist minister and was ordained in 1840. While visiting friends in Kansas in 1881, and while reading his text from the pulpit, he dropped dead, passing away while advocating the cause of Christ. James M. Baker was raised on a farm to manhood, secured a fair education in youth and for fifteen terms taught school, and for over thirteen years served his township (Northeast Township) as Trustee with credit. His marriage with Miss Louisa, daughter of William and Obedience (Reeves) Burton, of Lawrence County, was solemnized March 18, 1852, and these children have been born to them: Harriet O. (Mrs. Ralston), Maria E. (Mrs. Cook), William E., John W., Charles W. and Delana. Mr. Baker has belonged to the Missionary Baptist Church for a number of years and is possessor of 560 acres of good land. In politics he was first a Whig, then a Republican, and is now a Greenbacker.
WILLIAM G. BAKER was born in Orange County, Ind., September 4, 1824, and is the son of John and Annie (Irvine) Baker. The former a native of Green County, Ky., is the son of Frederick Baker. The family came to Orange County in 1811, Frederick having entered the land where our subject now resides (Orleans Township). He was a soldier in the war of 1812 and an upright man and a good citizen. William G. has always resided in the county, and has followed farming and stock-raising. August 17, 1857, he married Margaret, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Vanzant) McLane, the former having been born December 11, 1780, and his wife March 15, 1797. They were among the most respected and honorable of the early settlers of Orange County. He died April 27, 1864, and his wife May 5, 1864. To our subject and wife were born the following children: John R., Sarah A., Isaiah, Elida and Emma. Mr. and Mrs. Baker are members of the Baptist Church and are respected members of the community where they reside.
CALEB BATES, one of the prominent men of the township (Southeast Township), was born in Crawford County, this State, February 9, 1827, being the oldest of six children of William P. and Anna N. (Moore) Bates, the father a native of Indiana and the mother of New York. They were of Irish and English extraction, respectively, and people of the highest social worth. The father died when Caleb was about thirteen years old, after which he lived with his mother until of age, receiving a fair education. He married Charlotte T., daughter of Horatio and Nancy (Wells) Sharp, June 20, 1850, and this lady bore him four children, as follows: Mary K., who married John S. Stone, William T., George A. and Emma A., who married Daniel R. Lambdin. Mr. Bates is a carpenter by trade, having followed that occupation since his marriage, but is at present engaged upon his farm of 136 acres. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of the Republican party. The family is well known and highly respected.
GEORGE BENNETT was born in Harrison County, Ind., May 17, 1827. In a family of eleven he is the sixth. His parents were William and Rebecca (Pittman) Bennett, who were natives of Kentucky, where they were married. From that State they came to Indiana, locating first in Harrison County, whence they came to Orange County some time prior to 1833. Here they spent the balance of their lives and at their deaths were buried in Providence Cemetery. George Bennett received in his boyhood an ordinary education such as the early schools afforded. He was raised to a farmer's life by his parents, with whom he remained until twenty-two years old. At that age he was married, July 10, 1849, to Miss Nancy Grimes, who has borne him a family of nine children, named James, Dice E., Samuel, Rebecca, Alonzo T., George W., John L., Abraham F. and Isaac L. Farming is the almost exclusive occupation of Mr. Bennett and he owns a farm of 160 acres well improved and cultivated. As members of the Baptist Church he and wife have been prominent for more than twenty years in their community (Greenfield Township). He belongs to the fraternity of Odd Fellows and is a stanch Democrat in politics.
CYRUS W. BLACKWELL was born in Breckinridge County, Ky., April 27, 1825, and when six years old came with his parents to Orange County, Ind., where he was reared, educated and has always resided, engaged in agricultural pursuits (Northeast Township). August 19, 1846, he wedded Mary A., daughter of John and Anne (Irvin) Baker, who was born July 16, 1828, in Orange County, and children have been born to them, named Mary J., Margaret A., James N., Nancy C., George W., Calista E., John F., Dora E. and Frank, living and Laura, who died in infancy. Mr. Blackwell is a Republican, and for forty-three years has been a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which his wife and six children are also members. Rev. John Blackwell, father of Cyrus W. and son of James Blackwell, was a native of the Old Dominion, born in 1802. With his parents he settled in Kentucky at an early day, where he grew to manhood and married Jane Duncan. In 1831 he moved to Orange County, Ind., and having joined the Missionary Baptist Church in his youth he was here ordained a minister of that faith. For years he preached in Lawrence, Orange and Martin Counties, accomplishing much good, and in company with Rev. Joseph Odell organized eight different churches in the above counties. He died an honored and respected citizen in 1852, and the death of his wife occurred the same year.
WILLIAM G. BOHANON is the son of James and Eliza (Todd) Bohanon, and was born in this township (Marion Township, Lawrence County), January 28, 1841. The father was a native of North Carolina and the mother of Kentucky. The grandparents moved first to East Tennessee and then in about 1835 to this township. They had five children-James being one. The latter was married in this county and had three children; George W., Caroline and William G. James was a farmer, a Whig, a Baptist, and a man of much influence and worth. He died in 1857, but his wife yet lives. Her parents were David and Mary (Martin) Todd, who settled in Orange County in 1825. William G. early made farming his occupation. He was industrious and judicious and soon began to accumulate. He now owns 550 acres and has a comfortable home. He raises stock of high grades. August 13, 1862, he married Ellen J., daughter of Harrison Field, who was born in February, 1843, and died January 24, 1873. June 27, 1880, he married Harriet J. Burton, who was born October 11, 1860. They have two children: Liza and Ida. He is a leading Republican. His brother, George W., served three years in the Union Army in the Twenty-fourth Regiment.
ABNATHA BOLTON, a prominent old citizen of Orangeville Township and one of the first settlers of the county, was a native of Mulberry District, S.C., where he was born October 10, 1808, being the youngest of five children born to James and Rebecca (Lambdin) Bolton. His father was of Irish, his mother of Welsh, descent. The latter died when he was but five years of age, and his father having entered the service in the war of 1812, and not having returned, our subject was brought to this State in the year 1815 by Lewis Thomas, and has been a resident here ever since. He remained with Mr. Thomas until he attained the age of sixteen years, when he served an apprenticeship of three years at the blacksmith trade with Silas Dixon, after which he followed that business for ten years. He received a very limited education, such as the schools of his day afforded. December 16, 1832, his marriage with Fannie Stone was solemnized, and to their union two children were born, of which only this one is now living-Rhoda-who was united in marriage to Silas Halbert. His occupation since he quit the blacksmith business has been farming, and he has been very successful in that pursuit. He now owns 200 acres of land; he also raises considerable stock. March 26, 1883, Mr. Bolton lost his wife and life-long companion. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, having been connected with it for over fifty years. He has been Class-leader and steward for thirty years. His political views are Republican, and he takes a lively interest in the political affairs of the community.
JOHN H. BOWLES, dealer in drugs and jewelry at Orleans, Ind., was born near French Lick Springs in Orange County, October 8, 1836. He is a son of Thomas C. and Ann (Patton) Bowles, who were among the early settlers of the county. Thomas C. purchased the land upon which the springs are situated, from the Government, but afterward sold it to his brother and moved to Washington County, engaging in the mercantile trade until his death in 1840. His wife survived him until 1862. John H. Bowles enjoyed the usual advantages afforded by the common schools of the country and worked upon a farm until 1865. In that year he began the drug business as a partner of his brother, Dr. L. S. Bowles, at Paoli. This he continued for five years, when on account of failing health he sold out and took an extended trip through the South, much to his benefit. In 1872 he located at Orleans (Orleans Township) and engaged in his present business, continuing it ever since with good success. Kittie, a daughter of James and Ann (Campbell) Fields, became his wife February 17, 1873. Mr. Bowles is one of the enterprising men of Orleans and as a Democrat usually takes a lively interest in the welfare of his town.
WILLIAM BROWN was born January 1, 1833, in Orange County, Ind., and is one of the following family born to C. R. and Malinda (Lee) Brown, who were natives of Tennessee: Sarah, Ransom R., William A. R. and Aaron. His early life to manhood was passed in attending school and assisting his parents in the duties devolving upon them, and May 4, 1856, he was united in matrimony with Miss Jane Dalton, a daughter of Bradley and Nancy (Neal) Dalton, who were natives of the Old Dominion. These children were born to this union; Lillie A., James P., Cam R., Willie, Charley and Richard W. The parents have been singularly unfortunate, as out of their household of children only Richard W., who was born March 13, 1868, is now living. Mr. Brown was a soldier of the late war, enlisting in 1862 in Company H, Sixty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he served faithfully and creditably until he was honorably discharged at the close of the war July 8, 1865. He is the owner of a nice farm of forty-five acres (in Bono Township, Lawrence County), is a Republican in politics. and he and wife are members of the Christian Church, and among Lawrence County's best citizens.
ALFRED BRUNER, one of the early settlers of Orangeville Township, was born April 5, 1815, in Breckinridge County, Ky. He was the oldest of a family of ten children born to Adam and Nancy (Arnes) Bruner, who were respectively of German and Scotch English descent, the former having been the first white child born in Hardin's Fort, in that county. In the year 1823 his parents brought him to this State, locating in Lawrence County, he remaining with and assisting them on the farm until he was twenty-two years of age, receiving a very meager education. December 29, 1836, he was married to Mary Wilson, daughter of Maj. Andrew Wilson, who has borne him ten children, of whom these six are now living: Amanda J., wife of Moses F. Ham; Hester A., wife of Joseph Bruner; Lucy A., who is the wife of Silas J. Halbert; Maria, who was united in marriage to John Millis; Ellen, wife of John Hudelson, and Alfred W., who married Flora Faucett. He is a farmer, now owning 178 acres of well-improved land situated in one of the best agricultural districts in the county. Himself and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to the support of which they contribute very liberally. In politics he is a stanch Repbulican, and he belongs to the Odd Fellows' fraternity.
JOHN H. BUCHANAN was born in Fayette County, Ky., September 17, 1817, being one of the following family: Jackson, William, John H., Samuel, Smith, Daniel, Archibald, Joseph M. and Smith W., children of Smith and Mary (Minton) Buchanan. The parents were both natives of Virginia, and early moved to Kentucky, where they married in 1811, and there lived until their respective deaths. The father's occupation was farming, and he was a prominent and well-to-do citizen. He died when John was about fifteen years old, and the latter lived with his mother until of age, securing a limited educations, and after that began to lay up for himself. November 16, 1848, he married Elizabeth H., daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Dollins) Jessey, and to this union seven children have been born, as follows: Cinderella, Martha J., Henrietta, Anna E., Belle, Lydia E. and John R. Only the last two are now living. Mr. Buchanan is one of the prominent farmers of his township (Southeast Township), owning 400 acres of good land. He is a Democrat and served as Justice of the Peace from 1865 to 1878 with credit to himself and satisfaction to his township.
HENRY BURTON is a son of Isom and Elizabeth (Edwards) Burton, and was born in Lawrence County, Ind., September 26, 1831. Isom was a native of North Carolina, born about the year 1812, and with his father, John P. Burton, settled in Lawrence County in an early day. The grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution, and died in Lawrence County in 1834, at an age upwards of one hundred years. Of his thirteen children three are now living. Henry Burton came to Orange County in 1836 when five years old with an uncle named Hutchings Burton. Until he attained his majority his home was with this uncle, but at that time he began for himself by settling on a farm of his upon which he worked during the summer season. In the winter he taught school for several years, his number of terms being in all thirteen. Of late years he has paid his exclusive attention to farming, and owns 460 acres of land (in French Lick Township). He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and is politically a Democrat. His marriage with Cynthia Burton, a native also of Lawrence County, was solemnized March 15, 1855. Their six children were named and born as follows: Mary F., May 10, 1857; William A., December 14, 1859; Charlie P., March 6, 1862; Eliza J., August 6, 1865; Allen, September 1, 1867; Sarah E., November, 1870. Mr. Burton is one of the happy and prosperous farmers of his community who enjoys the high opinion of his neighbors.
ELI H. FAUCETT, a native of Orange County, N. C., was born October 15, 1824, being the sixth of twelve children of James and Elizabeth Faucett, the parents both natives of North Carolina, the father of Irish and the mother of Swedish descent. In the fall of 1832 they came to this county and settled near the present home of Eli H. At that time the country was very wild, but they went diligently at work, and in time made a comfortable home. Their son, Eli H., was kept at work and only received a meager education. He remained with his parents unti lhis marriage, June 11, 1846, to Eliza French. This lady bore her husband thirteen children, only six of whom are now living: Mary E., who married B. P. Gerkin; N. J., the wife of G. W. Pruett; Harriet E., who married John F. Pruett; Ida B., Carrie J. and Nora A., the last three being yet with their parents. Eli H. has made farming his occupation, and now owns 225 acres. He is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. July 19, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, Sixty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, was made Corporal, and served as such until mustered out April 7, 1863, by reason of a wound received at Richmond, Ky.
JOHN M. FREE, an old settler and prominent citizen, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, August 27, 1813, being the oldest son and third child of Isaac and Fannie (Dawson) Free; his brothers and sisters being: Catherine, Sarah E., Rebecca, Isaac, Polly Ann, Amos and Nancy. The father was a native of Maryland, and the mother of Pennsylvania, and they were married in Ohio, and lived there until their respective deaths, well respected Christian people. John M. was "brought up" on a farm and received a fair education. Much of his early manhood was passed on the river, but in 1838 he came to Indiana, and with what he had made entered 160 acres of land, which he has since increased to 216 acres. October 22, 1840, he married Mary, daughter of Thomas and Hannah (Caple) Sanders, and to these parents the following children have been born: Leander, Cyntha A., who married Francis Agan; Hannah, deceased; William H., died of wounds received at Bentonville, N.C.; Thomas J., deceased; Elizabeth F., who married Jacob Teaford; Isaac; John F., deceased; and Amos. Mr. Free is one of the substantial men of the township. He and wife are members of the Christian Church. He is independent politically, and has served the township two terms as Trustee.
WILLIAM P. GABBERT, druggist and apothecary, is a native Indianan, born at Salem, November 27, 1853, and is of German descent. His parents, Charles D. and Rebecca (Barnett) Gabbert, were natives of Kentucky and Virginia, respectively, and were among the early settlers of Washington County, Ind. William P. was raised on his father's farm and in early years secured a good common school education. In 1870 he came to Paoli, and for three years was employed as general manager of the widely known Albert Hotel, which has since burned. He afterward clerked in a drug store for a time and was then sent to Orleans to take charge of a drug store at that place for Dr. J. H. Bowles, and there remained three years. In 1882 with John A. Hudelson for a partner, and under the firm name of Gabbert & Hudelson, he embarked in the drug trade at Paoli and has since continued. Messrs. Gabbert & Hudelson have upward of $8,000 invested in their drug business and their store and stock is far superior to the average country drug stores, and would be a credit to any city in Indiana. The marriage of Mr. Gabbert and Miss Belle, daughter of John P. and Elvira E. Foster, was solemnized in 1874, and to them have been born two children: Maggie and Charles F., deceased.
SAMUEL GULLETT, one of the self-made men of Orange County, is a native of North Carolina, as were also his parents. Edward Gullett, father of Samuel, served with honor in the war of 1812. He married, in his native State, Martha Stewart, also a native of North Carolina. He came to Orange County in 1838 and died here in 1856, at the age of fifty-four years. His wife, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, died in 1855, at the age of sixty-three years. Our subject was born December 1, 1815, and came with his parents to this county in 1838. By hard work and economy and well-directed enterprise, he has acquired more than 600 acres of good farming land, and is considered one of the most substantial men of the county. In 1843 he married Margaret, daughter of James and Mary Henderson. Mrs. Gullett died after a union of one year, and Mr. Gullett took for his second wife Sarah, daughter of William and Rosa Dillard, and widow of J. McCoy. She was born in Orange County, June 25, 1825, and has one son by a former marriage. Mr. Gullett and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Democrat and one of the most prominent farmers and citizens of the county.
CYRUS N. HUDELSON was born in Paoli Township August 19, 1832, and is the son of David and Sarah (Donnell) Hudelson. His youth was passed without noteworthy event at work on the farm in summers and in attendance upon the schools in the winters, whereby he managed to secure a fair education. He selected farming as his occupation through life, and this he has followed together with rearing stock and shipping. He owns 240 acres, and has a comfortable home. In September, ****, he married Martha C. Hamersly, who was born in Mart**** (probably Martin Co, Ind.) August 18, 1833. Eight children are the issue: Sarah E., *****, Lydia J., Samuel D., James C., Cyrus A., Mary A. and Cyrus J. Mr. Hudelson from the first has identified himself with the Republican party, and has worked steadily for its success not only locally but on the State and National tickets. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and like all citizens of the county of his name is upright, capable, industrious and thoroughly honest. The Hudelsons are old settlers and are well respected.
JAMES H. HUDELSON, a native of Orangeville Township, was born April 1, 1844, being the youngest of four children of James and Jane (Shirley) Hudelson. The father was of English and the mother of Franco-Germanic descent. Our subject is a posthumous child, his birth occurring six months after the death of his father. He received in youth a limited education, and was reared a farmer. September 1, 1860, he married Cordelia Pinnick, who bore him one child, Effie J. In July, 1865, his wife died, and March 3, 1881, he married Ellen Bruner. Mr. Hudelson has made farming a success, now owning eighty-four acres of well improved land. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Democrat in politics, and one of the leading men in this part of the county [Orangeville Township].
JOHN A. HUDELSON, farmer and druggist, is the eldest son of William H. and Elizabeth (Springer) Hudelson, and was born May 31, 1832. He remained at home and assisted his father on the farm until his twenty-fourth year when he began doing for himself. The greater part of his life has been spent in farming, stock-raising and shipping, and for twelve years he has been engaged in the stock business. In 1882 he engaged in the drug business in Paoli, in partnership with William P. Gabbert. Mr. Hudelson was married in 1859, to Miss Addie Lindley, also a life resident of Orange County, and daughter of James Lindley. To them have been born six children: Ella J., Lillie E., Charley M. (deceased), Maud G. (deceased), John W. (deceased), and Addie P. In 1859 Mr. Hudelson settled where he now resides, erecting his present residence in 1870, which is a substantial frame, 36x42 feet and cost about $4,000. He is a Republican politically, and Mrs. Hudelson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Hudelsons are among the oldest and most respected people of the county.
WILLIAM H. HUDELSON, one of the few remaining old pioneers of Orange County, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., April 20, 1810, son of David and Sally (Donnell) Hudelson, and is of Scotch-Irish descent. The paternal grandfather of our subject was William Hudelson, a native of the Emerald Isle, and came to America prior to the Revolutionary war, in which he did faithful service for seven years. The father of Mr. Hudelson was born in Pennsylvania and his mother was a native of Kentucky. In 1819 William H. Hudelson came to Orange County, Ind., in company with his parents and settled north of Paoli. By occupation, Mr. Hudelson has been a life-long farmer, and in 1840 settled upon the land where he now resides and he here owns 245 acres of well improved land. His marriage took place in 1831, to Miss Elizabeth H. Springer, a native of Lancaster County, Penn., who bore him ten children: John A., Lydia A., David M., Henry H., Sarah J., Nicholas V., Albert L., Emma E., Lanville R. and Ada F. Mrs. Hudelson died November 20, 1883. She was a most amiable woman, a true Christian lady and almost a life-long member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Hudelson became a member of the same church in 1829, and is a Republican in politics. In 1862 he was elected Justice of the Peace, and re-elected to the same office in 1882. He is one of the venerable old pioneers of Orange County.
JOHN MILLIS. Edward Millis, great-grandfather of this gentleman, moved from North Carloina to Washington County in the early part of the present century, and after residing there a few years, moved to Orange County, where he died at a ripe old age. He reared a family of eight children, one of whom--Nichason--was the grandfather of John Millis. He participated in the battle of Tippecanoe and other encounters with the Indians. He was twice married, first to Ellen Maris and second to Rebecca Lindley. By the first marriage there were seven children and by the second one. Enoch, son by his first wife, was born and reared in this county. He married Lydia Faucett, and to them were born the following children: John (the subject of this sketch), Ann, Kiziah and Nichason. John Millis was born in this township [Paoli] November 9, 1845, and until seventeen years of age, worked upon a farm, and attended the district schools; he then enlisted in Company D, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. August 31, 1862, eleven days after leaving home, he participated in the battle of Richmond, Ky., where he was severely wounded in the left hip and taken prisoner. After about two months he was paroled and came home, but in less than six weeks was again with his regiment. He took part in the battles of Big Hill, Ala., Collierville, Tenn., the Atlanta campaign, march to the sea, etc. He was united in marriage with Miss Maria Bruner September 3, 1867. This lady is a native of Orange County, born April 29, 1845. Four children have been born: William A., Lydia E., Mary A. and James F. Mr. Millis owns a well-improved farm of 250 acres; he is a stanch Republican; a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a leading, enterprising and public-spirited citizen. The country would be much better off had it more such men as John Millis.
GEORGE W. TEGARDEN was born in Orange County, Ind., March 5, 1846, son of Columbus and Hannah (Mahan) Tegarden; the former born in Shelby County, Ky., April 13, 1813, and his wife in Orange County, April 15, 1822. The paternal and maternal grandparents of our subject, were among the early settlers of Orange County. The father of our subject was one of the successful men of the county, having started in life with but little property. He was a good example of what is called a "self-made man," having by hard work acquired at his death, October 6, 1874, over 1,000 acres of land in Orange County, and other land in Iowa. George W. has been a resident of the county all his life with the exception of three years in the last war. In 1862 he enlisted in the Sixty-sixth Indiana Regiment; was in a number of the hard-fought battles, among which were Richmond, Ky., where he was taken prisoner; was paroled and in three months exchanged and joined his regiment; took part in the Battles of Dallas, Jonesboro, siege of Atlanta and many skirmishes; was with Sherman in his "march to the sea." October 6, 1870, he married Sarah E., daughter of Aaron Wright, a prominent old settler of Lawrence County, Ind., where Mrs. Tegarden was born, February 6, 1849. Three children have been born to them: Minnie M., Annie J. and one who died in infancy. Mr. Tegarden owns a fine farm of 160 acres. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and he is a stanch Republican.
LOUIS B. WILSON was born at Paoli, Orange County, April 28, 1822, the second child of Nathaniel and Annie (Baker) Wilson, who were natives of Virginia, the former born 1794, and his wife 1796. The father served in the war of 1812 and came to Orange County with his parents in 1817, and was a farmer by occupation. In 1834 his wife died. She was a devoted Christian, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, an amiable lady and mother of six children. Mr. Wilson took for his second wife in 1835 Jane Kenley, who bore him seven children, and upon the death of this lady Mr. Wilson took as his third wife Mary Hamilton, who still survives him. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for over sixty years and died in 1874. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a Welshman and came to America as a British soldier. Here he met and married Mary Britton, and English lady. They also came to Orange County in 1817 and resided here until their deaths. Louis B. passed his early life on a farm and has been resident of his native county all his life. In 1846 he married Hannah, daughter of William and Mary (Collins) Magner, who was born in Bourbon County, Ky., in 1823, and came to Orange County with her parents when ten years of age. She died in 1864, and was the mother of five children, one of whom is living, James A. In 1865 Mr. Wilson married Lydia M., daughter of Henry and Mary (Elrod) Stultz. Mrs. Wilson is a native of this county, born September 3, 1834. Five children were born of this marriage, three living: Maggie, Frederick and Louisa. Mr. Wilson is a member of the Methodist Church, also member of the A. F. & A. M., and a staunch Republican.