JAMES P. CAMPBELL, SR., is a native of French Lick Township, Orange Co., Ind., where he now lives. He is one of four children, three of whom lived to manhood, born to Adlai and Catherine (Porter) Campbell. The parents were natives of North Carolina, and in the spring of 1811 moved to Gibson County, Ind., and three years later to Orange County, where they made their home the balance of their lives. James P. received a good common school education. He started out in life without property, and rented a part of the farm which he now owns. By diligence and economy he has succeeded in acquiring a competence for life. He has been twice married, the first time to Jane M. Faucett on the 3d of November, 1836. Of the three children which she bore him only one is now living. The second wife was Mrs. Deborah (McCoy) Jackson, who became such October 3, 1865. By her he is the father of one child, named Catherine F. Mr. Campbell was for five years Captain of a military company under the old muster law, and was an enrolling officer during the war. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church. Up to the war he was a Democrat, but at that time he joined the Republican party, and has been such ever since.
W. C. CAMPBELL is a native Indianian, his birth occurring in this county July 12, 1821, son of Samuel and S. (Carr) Campbell. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Robert, was of that famous stock, Scotch-Irish, and early came to Pennsylvania and later to Kentucky, where he married, raised a large family and made for himself an honored name. He came with his second wife to the county at the very early date of 1816, and here he lived until his death in 1845. His son Samuel became prominent and well respected and was one of the leading farmers of his day. He died here in 1853, and his wife survived him until 1870. Our subject passed his boyhood without prominent event, and selected the occupation of farming. He now resides on part of the old homestead (Orleans Township). October 5, 1843, he married Susan Rankin, who died April 1, 1849, leaving three children, one living, Mrs. Mary E. Shirley. March 27, 1851, he married Mary J. Glenn, and they have one son living, Alvin, a prominent lawyer of Crawfordsville. The second wife died May 3, 1857. His present wife is Elizabeth Sheeks, a most estimable lady. Mr. Campbell is a prominent Republican and he and family are Presbyterians.
WILLIAM W. CHISHAM was born in Jessamine County, Ky., August 29, 1811, son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Beckham) Chisham; both were natives of Virginia, the former born February 3, 1777, and his wife in 1775. They were married in their native State, and moved to Jessamine County, Ky., in about 1805, and through the influence of their son William, who wished to secure a home for them and himself, in 1831 they moved to Orange County,Ind., where, by the assistance of their son William, they secured a good home until their deaths. The father died September 30, 1858, and his wife June 21, 1862. From her girlhood she was a member of the Baptist Church. The only one now living of a family of eight children is our subject, who is one of the successful farmers of Orange County (Orleans Township), and has taken a prominent part in the official interests of his county, having served nine years as County Commissioner, and some time as Trustee of this township. He has been twice married: September 13, 1836, to Jane, daughter of Gabriel and Catharine (Sauls) Busick. Mr. Busick was born in North Carolina October 1, 1785, and died December 24, 1852; his wife was born August 11, 1785 and died April 4, 1872. Mrs. Chisham was born in North Carolina, December 1, 1815, died October 11, 1865. Mr. Chisham again married Mary S., daughter of William and Nancy (Busick) Craig. She was born in Orange County, Ind., October 6, 1845. Five children have been born of this marriage: George W., born August 17, 1869; Charles R., born August 24, 1871, died February 11, 1882; Ida M., February 23, 1874; Oliver T., born August 27, 1877, and Anna J., born September 1, 1881. Mr. Chisham by hard work and economy has secured a fine farm of 500 acres. In 1828 while in Kentucky, he joined the Old School Baptist Church. He is a Democrat, and cast his first vote for Jackson.
MARVIN CLEVELAND was born in Shelby County, Ky., May 21, 1810, son of Ezer and Martha (Wadkins) Cleveland, the father a native of New York and the mother of Tennessee. The parents came to Clark County, Ind., in 1814, and to Orange County in 1816. He died at Bryantsville, October 20, 1853, and his wife died November 26, 1862. They were parents of thirteen children and consistent members of the Baptist Church. Marvin was reared at hard work on his father's farm and "graduated" at a log schoolhouse with dirt floor and greased paper windows. To his marriage with Martha Noblit, November 5, 1828, six children were born: Lavina, Mary A., Celia, Sarah J., Sylvia and Eli. Mrs. Cleveland was born in Grayson County, Va., February 1, 1809. In 1831, Mr. Cleveland moved upon his present farm (Marion Township, Lawrence County, Ind.), where by industry, frugality and integrity, he has made a comfortable home. He and wife are consistent Baptists. Mr. Cleveland being a pioneer Superintendent of Sabbath-schools and a Deacon. They reared a bound boy to manhood (P. N. White), who fell in the late war. Eli Cleveland was born where he now resides, December 26, 1845, and received in youth a good common school education. March 15, 1868, he married Julia A. Kearby, born in this county (Lawrence), October 24, 1842. They have one child--Marvin A. The county has no better citizens than the Cleveland families. Later, on the 26th of July, 1884, Marvin Cleveland died at the age of seventy-four and some months. The community lost a good neighbor and the county one of its best citizens.
WILLIAM COOK was born in Berks County, Penn., October 3, 1816, the fourth child born to Daniel and Hannah (Wicks) Cook, both of whom were natives of the Keystone State and of German descent. When but ten years old he was left to battle with the realities of his life by the death of his parents, and at fifteen began the carpenter's trade, which he completed when twenty-one. In 1839 he went to Indianapolis, and some time afterward worked at his trade in Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. He then came to Orange County, Ind., purchasing a saw-mill on Lost River in partnership with a Mr. Moore, which he operated for some time. At the breaking out of the war with Mexico he volunteered, and as a private, served in Company B, Second Indiana Regiment, in the battle of Buena Vista, and at the end of thirteen months was honorably discharged. Since 1850 he has been engaged in farming and is now comfortably situated, yet engaged in that vocation(Northeast Township). In 1849, he married Rachel Wires, who was born in Washington County, this State, in 1820, and by her is the father of four children: Hannah J. (Mrs. Wilson), Francis M. (deceased), Washington C. and William S. Mr. Cook is a Democrat in politics, and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JOSHUA H. CRIM, a native of Martin County, Ind., was born August 21, 1844. His grandfather, Stephen Crim, was born in Kentucky, in 1788; married a Miss Farris in 1809, who was born in Kentucky in 1793, and by her was the father of twelve children, four of whom lived to be married and rear families. One of these was Martin D., the father of the subject of this sketch; he was of the same nativity as his parents, his birth occurring November 27, 1815, and by hard work educated himself. In 1828, he came with his parents to Indiana, where, January 13, 1840, he married Miss Eleanor Busey, of Galesburg, Ill., and by her became the father of nine children, as follows: Sarah J. (deceased), Mary E. (deceased), Joshua H., C. A. (deceased), Martin D. (deceased), Lyman Austin, Van Rensselaer, Zerilda (deceased), and Matilda. The mother dying December 22, 1862. Mr. Crim married Zerilda J. Burton, March 31, 1863, and six children were the result of this union, named: Joseph, Charles, Nettie, Lizzie, and two that died in infancy unnamed. Mr. Crim lived in Orange County a short time, and while there realized the immense value of fine grit of some of the then unopened quarries, and he was the first to take steps toward the opening of these. For many years he was engaged in merchandizing in Martin County, and at one time was a Representative in the State Legislature. In 1856 he began the practice of medicine at Mitchell, but in 1872 established himself in the drug trade, which he continued until his death, June 28, 1876, and was buried by the solemn rites of Odd Fellowship and Masonry. Joshua H. Crim received an academic education in youth and clerked in his father's store, and when only eighteen years old, enlisted in Company A, Seventeenth Indiana Volunteer Mounted Infantry. At the battle of Murfreesboro, he received such severe injuries which resulted in his discharge, June 6, 1863. He taught school and attended Earlham College after his return home, and November 6, 1865, married Miss Julia, daughter of Zachariah and Ruth Burton, by whom he is the father of five children: Charles H., Ella R., Maggie M., Lelia and C.B. In 1870, Mr. Crim moved to Huron (Spice Valley Township, Lawrence County), where he has built up a large and lucrative trade in general merchandize. He is a Republican; a Sir Knight in Masonry; a member of the I.O.O.F. and Baptist Church.
JAMES CROCKETT was born in Clarke County, Ind., April 3, 1817, a son of John and Mary Crockett. He was reared upon a farm, secured a common education in youth, and at twenty years of age began carpentering, a trade he followed many years, acquiring sufficient means thereby to make a comfortable home for himself and family. He is the owner of 205 acres of good land (in Northeast Township), is a member of the Baptist Church, a Republican in politics and cast his first Presidential vote for Gen. Harrison. In 1840 he married Betsey A. Mitchell, who was born in Washington County, Ind., a daughter of John and Rosa (Benson) Mitchell. This lady died in 1847, and for his second wife Mr. Crockett married Sarah, daughter of William and Mary Elliott, by whom he became father of the children here named: Mary E., Robert N., Martha E., William A., James T., Emma and John. The mother was born February 22, 1822. John Crockett, the father of James, was born in Wythe County, Va., in 1772, immigrated to Kentucky when it was a wilderness, and joined the Regular Army of the United States. He served five years under Gen. Harrison at Fort Vincennes, Indiana Territory, afterwards marrying and settling in Clarke County.
CAPT. JEREMIAH E. DEAN, a veteran of the Mexican and late Civil wars, was born in Clark County, KY., October 25, 1821 and is one of five children born to James and Mary (Campbell) Dean. When a small lad he went to Marion County, Indiana, making that his home until about fourteen years old, when he moved to Orange County, Indiana to live with an uncle. Until attaining his majority he worked on a farm, then worked two years in a grist mill at Lawrenceport, Lawrence Co., Ind., after which he moved to Bedford. May 7, 1847, he enlisted in Company I, Sixteenth Regiment of United States Infantry, served in the Mexican war until he was honorably discharged at Newport, KY., July 28, 1848. May 24, 1849, Mary A. OwensS became his wife, shortly after which he moved to Springville, Ind., where for over twenty years he engaged in blacksmithing. June 7, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Fifteenth Indiana Volunteers, and on the organization of the company was elected First Lieutenant, a position he held until after the battle of Stone River, when he was advanced to the Captaincy of his company. Besides various skirmishes in which he was engaged he was an active participant in the battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge. Mr. Dean is a member of the Blue Lodge in Masonry, is a Republican in politics, and in 1876 was elected Auditor of Lawrence County, serving as such four years. He is at present engaged in the hardware trade. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dean are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the following named of their ten children are yet living: Samuel M., Sarah C., D.J., Amanda L., Harriet C. AND Jeremiah H. [from Shawswick Twp., Lawrence Co., Indiana]
JOEL C. DILLARD, a native of Orange County, Indiana is the fourth in a family of ten children that were born to John L. and Elizabeth (Kearby) Dillard, his birth occuring January 20, 1818. The father was a native of Virginia and the mother of Kentucky, and they were married in the latter State, whence they came to Indiana in 1811, and located in what is now Stampers Creek Township, Orange County. He died in 1830 and she in 1868, both being buried in the Paoli cemetery. Joel C. lived with his parents until the death of his father and then began the tailor's trade, which he followed for some time. By diligence and application he acquired a good common education with but little if any help from the teachers and schools of his day. He did this so thoroughly that he was well qualified for teaching, and after that taught thiry-six terms of schoool and all but two in his native county. His marriage with Miss Mary Harned was solemnized March 2, 1842. To this union four children have been born, and named, Rachael P., Elizabeth E., Sarah S. and Samuel H. Mr. Dillard now devotes his attention to farming, and owns 200 acres of good land (Greenfield Township). On August 20, 1849, he was grieved by the death of his wife. Mary Hall became his second wife September 5, 1850. Both Mr. and Mrs. Dillard are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Democrat in politics. In 1848 he was elected Justice of the Peace, but after two years he resigned that office. In 1870 he was elected County Commissioner, and in that capacity he served the people of the county for nine years.
TOLBERT DILLINGER, a prominent citizen of Orangeville Township, Orange County, Indiana, is a native of Harrison County this State, where he was born October 26, 1822, being the oldest of five children born to Miles and Anna (Hickman) Dillenger. His father was a native of Virginia, his mother of Harrison County, and both were of English descent. Our subject remained at home until the death of his parents, his mother having died when he was ten, his father when he was fifteen years of age. He received a limited education, such as the schools of his day afforded. February 28, 1842, his marriage with Lydia Fields was celebrated and to their union six children have been born, of which these four are now living: Caroline, who was united in marriage to George McFarland; Anna, who is the wife of James A. Thompson; Abagail E., and William T., who married Lydia Campbell. Our subjects's occupation has always been farming, and he has been quite successful in that pursuit. He now owns 160 acres of well improved land. His political views are Republican.
WESLEY EDWARDS was born in this township (Marion Township, Lawrence County, Ind.) October 6, 1822, son of William and Emily (Murphy) Edwards. Both parents were natives of North Carolina, where they were married and resided until 1816, when they came to Orange County, and about a year later to Lawrence County, locating on our subject's farm. Here the parents lived and farmed, well respected until their deaths; the father dying in 1863, and the mother in 1850. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, was a Whig and a member of the Baptist Church, and was a man of more than ordinary worth. Wesley was one of ten children, seven of whom reached maturity. He passed his youth on a farm, and at the age twenty-two years married Sarah, daughter of Allen Burton, who bore him seven children, only three now living: Herbert H., Louisa and Harriet. Mrs. Edwards was born in Ashe County, NC, March 1822. Wesley owned forty acres when he married; he now has 360 acres. For six years he was County Commissioner, and has honorably officiated in other responsible positions. He is a member of the Baptist Church. The county has no better citizen.
DR. WILLIAM D. ELLIS, of Unionville, Greenfield Township, Orange County, is a native of Harrison County, Ind. He is the third son and sixth child in a family of thirteen, of which Richard R. and Nancy (Whiteman) Ellis were the parents. The birth of William D. occurred on the 7th of June, 1839. His schooling was confined to the primitive school of his boyhood in his native county, and his education as a consequence is nothing more than ordinary. On the 16th of October, 1859, he led to Hymen's altar Miss Martha E. Radcliff, who bore him three childrn: Eliza J., Mary E. and Matilda F. In the fall of 1864, with his family, Mr. Ellis moved to Clay County, Ill., where his wife died May 19 following. The next year he returned to his father's home in Harrison County. Soon after this he began the study of medicine with Dr. Line, of Dubois County. In November, 1867, he commenced the practive of his profession at Unionville, which he has ever since continued. Mrs. Paulina (Sinclair) Newton became his second wife March 3, 1868, and Lillian is their only child. Dr. Ellis has been successful in practice and owns considerable property. He is a member of the Baptist Church and his wife of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Democrat in politics and one of Orange County's best citizens.
BENTON C. ELROD is a native of this township (Orleans Township) where he now resides, and was born March 9, 1821, and is a son of one of the old pioneers of Orange County. His father, John Elrod, was a native of North Carolina, born about the year 1785, and came to Orange County in 1812. He married Nancy Millis, also a native of North Carolina, born April 21, 1798, and came to this county about the same year. They were the parents of twelve children, all of whom lived to be grown but one. John Elrod died October 23, 1859, and his wife August 21, 1866. Benton C. passed his youth with his father on the farm, in the meantime receiving a common school education. November 16, 1843, he married Maria, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Baker) Wilson, and a native of Orange County, born April 12, 1824. The Wilsons were prominent early settlers of this county, from Virginia. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Elrod: Mary H., now Mrs. John Lindley; Joseph A.; Nancy L., now Mrs. VanMeter; John F. and Ella A. Mr. E. is a Republican, and has served the township as Trustee one term. He has voted for all Republican Presidents since the organization of the Republican party. He is a member of the United Brethren Church, as is also his wife, and both are universally respected.
JOHN O. ELROD is the eighth child of John and Nancy (Millis) Elrod, and is a native of this county, his birth occurring May 29, 1833. He passed his youth at work on the farm and in attendance upon the subscription schools, and when of age began doing for himself. August 13, 1857, he married Sarah, daughter of Jonathan and Mary (Hinley) Braxtan, who was born in this county May 14, 1835, and died September 16, 1876. She bore her husband six children: Charles H., Kittie E., Emery, Annie S., Mary F. and Lizzie. In December, 1879, Mr. Elrod married Ann Glaswell, a native of this county, born January 25, 1843. She died January 14, 1881, and Mr. Elrod took for his third wife Elivira Hostetler, to whom he was married November 29,1 883. He and wife are members of the Methodist Church, and he is a Republican, and has been Township Trustee for four years. During the last war Mr. Elrod served with honor in the Sixty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was at the battle of Richmond, Ky., where the Federal troops were captured, and served in all the battles, skirmishes, expeditions, etc., in which his regiment participated. He was then a brave soldier as he is now a useful citizen.
FREDERICK ENES is a native of Germany, born in Manheim, on the east side of the Rhine, June 28, 1828. His parents were Adam and Barbara (Zinzer) Enes, who came to America in July, 1846, with their family. They landed at New York, and came directly from there to Indiana, locating in Dearborn County, where they remained the balance of ther lives. Frederick was educated in the schools of his native land, and afer coming to America made his home with his parents until 1854. On February 2 of that year he was married at Aurora to Miss Salome Bertdoll, also of Germany, born July 15, 1829. The result of this union is a family of four children, all of whom are now living. In 1856 Mr. Enes moved to Brown County, this State, where he lived on a farm until August, 1883, when he came to Orange County (French Lick Township). He enlisted in Company H, Eighty-second Regiment Indiana Infantry, August 9, 1862, and served in the Rebellion unitl its close, receiving an honorable discharge June 9, 1865. He was engaged in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Hoover's Gap, Lookout Mountain, Chickamauga, Kenesaw Mountain, Mission Ridge, Guilford Court House, Holly Springs, Atlanta, and with Sherman on his march to the sea, and through the Carolinas to Richmond and Washington. Mr. Enes is a farmer and a Republican, and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WILLIAM FARRELL, an attorney of sixteen years' practice at the bar of Orange County, was born in New Albany, Ind., February 10, 1841, a son of Andrew and Sarah (Metheney) Farrell. Andrew Farrell's parents were natives of Ireland, but he was born at Liverpool, England, December 4, 1802, and in about 1816 immigrated to the United States. For nearly ten years he followed seafaring, but then settled in Boston, from whence he removed to New Albany, Ind., in 1839, where he died in 1872. His wife was born near Morgantown, on Cheat River, W. Va., in 1805, and died in 1876. William Farrell received his early education in the public schools of New Albany, and in 1861 enlisted in Company B, Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, receiving his discharge in February 1862. In July of the latter year he became a clerk in the Subsistence Department of Hancock's Army of the Potomac, a position he retained until the close of the war. He began the study of law at New Albany with Judge J. S. Davis, and in 1868 graduated from the Law Department of the Michigan State University. The fall of this year, he located for the practice of his profession, at Paoli, and has here since resided, engaged in active legal pursuits. Mr. Farrell is the fortunate possessor of one of the most complete and extensive law libraries , from the organization of the Northwest Territory to the present, to be found in Indiana. In politics he is a Republican, and is a member of the I.O.O.F. In 1869 Miss Mary A., daughter of Henry T. and Harriet A. Wible, became his wife, and to their union were born five children: Alice W., Harrison H., Frances H. (deceased), Josephine P. and Mary E. The mother died October 2, 1883.
JOHN H. FAUCETT, M.D., is a native of Orange County, Ind., born September, 1840, son of William and Mary A. (Higgins) Faucett, and is of English origin. The father of Dr. Faucett was a native of North Carolina, and his mother was born in Tennessee. The parents of Dr. Faucett immigrated to Indiana in 1820, and settled in Orange County, and here his father died in 1848. The early life of the subject of this mention was spent in service for his mother and attending the district school. In 1861 Dr. Faucett enlisted in the United States Army, in Company K, Forty-ninth Indiana Volunteers. He was at the siege of Vicksburg, where he was wounded. He was honorably discharged in 1863. In 1866 Dr. Faucett began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Riley, near Kecksville, Martin Co., Ind. In 1874 he graduated from the Missouri Medical College at ST. Louis, but prior to this date had done some medical practice. He first located at Trinity Springs, Martin Co., Ind., where he remained until 1876, when he came to Fayetteville, Indian Creek Township, Lawrence County, and here he continues in the regular practice of his profession, in which he has been very successful. The marriage of Dr. Faucett occurred in 1876 to Miss Ida Leonard, a native of Martin County, Ind., daughter of Samuel Leonard. Mrs.Faucett died in 1880. Dr. Faucett is a Republican and one of the leading physicians of his county.
CYRUS E. FINLEY, born in the county where he yet lives October 25, 1850, is the only survivor of these three children born to the marriage of Merrill Finley and Sarah M. Wright: Cyrus E., Gilead E. and Eliza. Merrill Finley was born March 25, 1826, in Orange County, Ind., the son of Cyrus and Rachel Finley, and was reared, educated and always resided in his native county. Both he and wife are widely known and respected for their many excellent qualities of heart and mind, and their respective deaths were a source of general sorrow for the entire community in which they resided. Cyrus E. is one of the prosperous young farmers of his township (Northeast Township), and lives on the old homestead, which consists of 700 acres of good land. The marriage ceremony of his union with Miss Nannie Monyhan was solemnized March 27, 1870, and children have blessed them as follows: Henry M. born March 19, 1871; Ora M., March 9, 1873; Stella M., July 2, 1874; Bertie, November 10, 1876; Lelah P., January 18, 1878 and Gillie E., January 24, 1881. The mother was born in Washington County, Ind., July 25, 1853, and is the daughter of Henry Monyhan, of Lancaster. Mr. Finley is a Republican, and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DAVID FINLEY (deceased), one of the county's oldest and most respected farmers and citizens, was born in this county September 2, 1821, being the son of Cyrus and Rachel (Downey) Finley, who came from Kentucky to this county among the first settlers. Their son David was reared a farmer, and being possessed of an intellect above the average managed to secure a good education for his day, which enabled him to teach school several terms. He was a most excellent man, honest in all his dealings with his fellows, and highly conscientious and moral. September 3, 1847, he married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Lucinda (Irvine) Tegarden, who was born in this county March 11, 1827. Th Tegardens were among the earliest settlers, locating here in 1813. To David and Elizabeth three children were born: Rachel E. (Mrs. Mann), born November 21, 1848; Lucinda E., born October 10, 1850, died February 27, 1856; Merrill F., born January 6, 1853. Mr. Finley left his family in good circumstances, and since his death his widow has successfully managed the estate. The family are people of the highest respectability. (Orleans Township)
SAMUEL FINLEY, son of Jefferson and Mirian (Brooks) Finley, is a native of this county, his birth occurring July 10, 1828. The father was a native of Kentucky, and was born May 16, 1805; his wife, a native of the same fine State, was born November 5, 1803. David Finley, the paternal grandfather, whose wife was Elizabeth, was born June 1, 1754, and came to Orange County before the war of 1812; he died April 19, 1848, more than four score years and ten, well known and respected. His wife, born in 1763, died in 1835. Jefferson died November 19, 1829, and his wife December 12, 1848. They were excellent people of much prominence and worth. Samuel is a farmer by occupation, and owns the old farm (Orleans Township). His education is limited, but sufficient fort the business of life. December 7, 1848, he married Elizabeth Elliott, who was born in Washington County March 5, 1830. Their children are: Jefferson L., born April 25, 1850; Sarah J., born February 11, 1852; William J., born June 18, 1854; Susan, born January 27, 1856; Charles S., born January 8, 1858; Preston T., born March 25, 1860 (deceased); Oliver P. M., born October 24, 1863; Ulysses S. G., born February 9, 1868 (deceased); Reed, born November 14, 1869, and one which died in infancy. Mr. Finley is a Republican and a prominent and useful citizen.
ANDERSON FISH was born in Lincoln County, NC, January 17, 1815 and is the seventh of eleven children of William and Sarah (Kale) Fish, natives of North Carolina, who came to Orange County, Ind., in 1816, but in the spring of 1817 located where our subject now resides (Shawswick Township, Lawrence County, Indiana). The parents became honored citizens of the county. The father (William) was born in 1781 and died in 1855, full of years, revered by all. Our subject, at the age of twenty-two, with meager education, secured at the old subscription schools, married Melinda Long, May 25, 1837, and this lady has borne him twelve children, of whom ten are living: John W., who married Eliza J. Bridgewater; Minerva, who married Charles Mason; Frances, wife of James Owen; Adolphus, who married Lydia Bridwell; Levi L., who married Lydia Ragsdale; Oscar H., who married Jane Anderson; Kate, wife of Lycurgus Ferguson; Felix, who married Mary Pace; Virgil E., who married Carrie Stipp, and Lloyd E., unmarried;. September 26, 1882, Mrs. Fish died, and October 30, 1883, Mr. Fish married Nancy Nugent. He owns a fine farm of 550 acres, is a leading Democrat, and himself and wife are members of the Christian Church.
DAVID FISHER, son of Thaddeus and Sarah (Stine) Fisher, of whom appropriate mention is made in the biography of John Fisher above, was born in this county March 31, 1823. At that time the county was very new and very wild, numerous wild animals yet being found in the woods. He passed his youth without prominent event at hard work and managed to obtain the rudiments of an education at the old subscription schools. Upon reaching manhood he began for himself on the farm. In 1859 he married Sarah Burgess, who was born in this county November 15, 1835. Eight of their ten children are living: Mary E., born October 23, 1860; Eliza, born November 5, 1861; James H., born December 6, 1862; Margaret, who died in infancy; Hattie, born January 15, 1866; William G., born April 16, 1867; Dawson, deceased; Melvina B., born May 22, 1871; Thomas E., born June 24, 1873, and David O., born October 2, 1875. Mr. Fisher has a fine farm of 480 acres (Orleans Township). He is a member of the Baptist Church, a Republican and cast his first vote for Henry Clay.
JAMES FISHER, born in Washington County, Ind., January 30, 1822, is the eldest of the ten children of John and Elizabeth (Walker) Fisher, who were natives respectively of Shelby County, Ky., and Virginia. Four sons of these parents went to do battle for the right in the late war, all serving with distinction, two meeting soldiers' deaths at the battle of Champion Hills, and one dying in the hospital at Nashville. The only survivor of the four is a resident of the Lone Star State. James Fisher, subject of this sketch, began for himself at the age of eleven years by working around as a farm hand, which he continued until twenty-six, when Josephine Finley, daughter of Jefferson and Miriam (Brooks) Finley, on the 20th of January, 1848, became his wife. Six children blessed this union, named Miriam E., Amanda, John F., Lydia, Laura and Clara J. These children were left motherless March 16, 1868, and Mr. Fisher married for a second wife Mrs. Amanda (Tegarden) Bishop, daughter of Andrew Tegarden and widow of D. Bishop. Three children, Henry W., James M. and Orna D., were born to this union. Mr. Fisher by hard work has secured a fine farm of 286 acres (Northeast Township). In politics he was formerly a Whig, casting his first vote for Henry Clay, but is now a Republican.
JOHN FISHER was born in Orange County, March 5, 1819, son of Thaddeus and Sarah (Stine) Fisher. The father of our subject is a native of Virginia, and moved with his parents to Kentucky when but nine years of age. There he married, and in about 1812 came to Orange County and entered 160 acres of land in Orleans Township, it then being all timber. He is the father of ten children, only two of whom are living -- David and our subject. He was a member of the Batpist Church and a prominent man. John passed his boyhood on his father's farm; he has been twice married, in 1850 to Mary, native of Orange County, daughter of Willis and Annie Lisk; this lady died in 1877. By this marriage there are seven living children: Charles S., born March 8, 1860; John, born December 4, 1862; Elizabeth, born September 21, 1863; Maria E., born September 26, 1865; Margaret E., June 23, 1870; Benjamin F., August 11, 1872, and George W., August 19, 1874. November 10, 1879, he took for his second wife Margaret, widow of H. Warren and daughter of George McCoy, who came to this county from Kentucky in about 1811, and served in the war of 1812. Mrs. Fisher was born in Orange County July 1, 1826. Mr. Fisher owns a good farm of 320 acres, which he acquired by hard work and good management. He is a Republican.
LEANDER FREE was born in this township (Southeast Township) June 25, 1842, son of John M. and Mary (Sanders) Free. He was reared on his father's farm and in youth secured a fair education and thoroughly learned the art of agriculture, the most useful and foundational pursuit. On the 20th of August, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-eighth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and on the 17th of September, 1864, was honorably discharged at Atlanta by reason of the expiration of his term of service. He was in a number of engagements and was slightly wounded at the battle of Stone River. Upon his return he continued farming and began teaching , and November 12, 1874, married Sarah S., daughter of Joel C. and Mary (Harned) Dillard, and to them four children have been born: George O., Anna Elizabeth, John Franklin and Joel E. Mr. Free is a prosperous farmer, and owns 170 acres of fair land. From 1865 to 1877 he taught many terms of school, but now turns his energies exclusively to his farm. He is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Christian and Methodist Episcopal Churches.
JAMES A. FROST was born in Jessamine County, Ky., March 4, 1820, and is the son of Simeon and Mary (Beckham) Frost, the former being born in Jessamine County, July 13, 1792, and latter born in Orange Co., Va., August 2, 1792. They were married in Jessamine County, Ky., and in October, 1826, came to Orange County, Ind. They passed the first winter in a log schoolhouse, and afterward lived in a double log-cabin, until they were better situated. He died October 4, 1872, and his wife in 1867. Both were favorably known and well respected. James A. is a farmer and blacksmith, which have been his occupations through life. He has been thrice married. February 18, 1842, he married Rhoda Webb. Again, March 13, 1851, he married Henrietta C., daughter of David and Elizabeth (Shively) Johnson. She was born November 27, 1819 and died October 5, 1864. There are five living children of this marriage: Simeon L., Elizabeth L., James A., John M. and Henrietta C. His present wife, Sarah Johnson, he married in 1865. Mr. Frost owns a fine farm of 414 acres (Orleans Township), with good buildings and improvements, and well stocked. He has been a member of the Christian Church since 1857, and has always been a stanch Democrat and a prominent and useful citizen. No name stands higher on the roll of honor in this part of the State than that of James A. Frost.
I.N.(ISAAC N.) GLOVER, of the firm of Malott & Glover, was born in Orange County, Ind., July 15, 1855, where he was reared and educated. He is the youngest of six children born to Thomas G. and Eliza (Elgin) Glover, respectively of Kentucky and Indiana; he born in 1805 and she in 1811, both still living. Our subject in 1872 located at Bedford, where he studied telegraphy and followed that business there, at Salem, Bloomington and Mitchell, being agent for the Louisville, New Albany & Chicago Railway. In 1881 he bought an interest in the milling business, and after one year sold, and opened a clothing store, soon after taking in as partner J. H. Malott, when the business was extended to take in dry goods and notions, now handling a stock of over $10,000. He was Town Clerk of Mitchell in 1880. He was married October 15, 1879, to Miss Rosa C. Bates, daughter of Jacob and Emily (Kelley) Bates, natives of Indiana. Miss Bates was born in Scott County, Ind., October 24, 1854, and by their union they have one child--Merle B. The family are Presbyterians, and he is a Republican.
MOSES F. HAM was born in Bourbon County, Ky., July 1, 1827. His father was Michael Ham, a native of Virginia, and settled with his parents in Kentucky when but a child. his mother was Miss Elizabeth Mathers, and their wedding occurred in April, 1819. Of their family of ten children, only five are now living. Moses F. moved to Orange County in the fall of 1844, and located near Orangeville, where he remained until the spring of 1870. At that time he moved to French Lick Township, and has made that his home ever since. On January 6, 1859, he married Amanda J. Bruner, who has borne him a family of eight children, all living. Mrs. Ham was born October 8, 1838, a daughter of Alfred and Mary (Wilson) Bruner. Mr. Ham is a tanner by trade, although for the last twenty years he has not worked any at that business. In early life he received but a common school education. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs to the society of Odd Fellows. In politics he is a Republican, and was County Commissioner for one term.
JOHN HARDMAN, the youngest son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Stright) Hardman, is a native of the county where he yet resides, and was born November 13, 1827. The parents are elsewhere mentioned in this work. John Hardman received his education in the schools of his day, and all his life has followed farming for his livelihood. He married Sarah A. Reed, April 1, 1851, and by her is father of five children, named: Gilead, Leonard N., William O., Dora M. and John M., all living but Gilead. Mrs. Hardman was born November 9, 1832, and died August 23, 1863. Again, in 1864 he was married, this time to Martha E. Clipp, whose death occurred October 6, 1873. For his third wife he took Mrs. Clara Chisham, a daughter of William and Susan (Litton) Payne, who were from North Carolina and came to Lawrence County, Ind., among the early settlers, where Mrs. Hardman was born August 10, 1844. The Hardman family are members of the Christian Church, and Mr. Hardman is an active supporter of Republican principles. (Orleans Township)
WASHINGTON HARDMAN, of Orleans Township, is a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Stright) Hardman, and the oldest of their six children. In 1813 Daniel came to Orange County and established his cabin home, returning in 1816 to Kentucky for his family. Mrs. Hardman died in April, 1831, and for his second wife he took Elizabeth Leatherman. His death was August 11, 1851, at the age of sixty years. Washington Hardman has been a resident of Orange County since 1816, and has devoted his whole life to agricultural pursuits. His marriage with Sarah Tegarden was solemnized April 5, 1838, and to their union the following children have been born: Henry W., Eliza A., Polly J., Mary E., Matilda E., Alexander C., Sarah M. and William A. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hardman are natives of Shelby County, Ky., his birth occurring June 10, 1813, and hers September 18, 1818. She came to Orange County with her parents at the age of seven years, where her father, Basil Tegarden, died in 1843, and her mother, whose maiden name was Annie (Todd) Tegarden in 1863, at the age of eighty-four years. Mr. Hardman and wife are among the best people of their community, and are members of the Christian Church. He votes the Republican ticket and takes a healthy interest in public affairs.
GEORGE W. HARMON is a native of Orange County, Ind., and a son of Asa and Nancy A. (Sullivan) Harmon. The parents were both among the early settlers in the county. Asa was raised on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits all his life. His death occurred in September, 1859. His wife was born in Monroe County, Ind., in November, 1813 and bore him a family of eight children, five of them yet living. George W. Harmon was born June 28,1838, and during his minority received a common education in the schools of the county. His home was with his parents until he was of age. At that time he started in life for himself on a far, and has ever since led the life of a farmer. His wife was Miss Sarah A. Leffler, also a native of Orange Country, and born September 30,1 837. Their nuptials were celebrated january 15,1860, and to their union two children have been born, only one now living. Mr. Harmon was a soldier in the late war, enlisting February 6,1863, in Company C, One Hundred and Forty-=sixth Regiment of Indiana Volunteers, and was honorably discharged in September of the same year. He now owns 150 acres of land (French Lick Township) in good cultivation, and raises some stock. He is a Republican and a member of the Baptist Church.
LEE HAZLEWOOD, M.D., one of the most prominent men and eminent physicians of the county, is the third son of six children of Reuben and Jane (Ray) Hazlewood, and was born May 24, 1819, being one of the oldest settlers of the county now living. The parents were both Virginians who were taken early in their lives to Kentucky, where they were married August 15, 1811. Their children were Gates, John R., Lee, Priscilla (who married George Getter), Rhoda A. (who married Dr. John Batsell), and an infant, deceased. The parents came to this county in 1836, and settled near French Lick, and here the mother died about two years later. About eight years later the father married again, and lived until October 20, 1857, when his death occurred. He was a member of the Reformed Church, and a man of personal worth and high character. The youth of Lee was passed with his parents, and during that time and until one year after his mother's death he attended Lincoln Academy, Stanford, Ky. In 1838 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Samuel Reid, of Salem, Ind., and later, after he had begun the practice, attended the Transylvania Medical College, Lexington, Ky., the Jefferson Medical College, Louisville, Ky., and the Evansville Medical College, Indiana. He graduated at the last named institution in 1851. As early as 1841 he began to practice at Valeene (Southeast Township), where he has purchased property, and here he has continued since, often with more work than he could do, without solicitations. He has accumulated an estate of 1,500 acres, and no man of the county is better known or more highly regarded. He owes his success to his own industry, skill in his profession, integrity and self-sacrifice. June 20, 1843, he married the daughter of Samuel Chambers, but she died the following year, April 9, 1844. September 4, 1853, he married Mary E., daughter of Samuel and Amy Harned, and two children came to this union: George R., who now practices with his father, and Alice J., who married Dr. William A. Cole. Mrs. Hazlewood died, and Dr. Hazlewood married Rebecca, daughter of James and Martha Sloan, January 27, 1863. She bore him two children: Mary F. and Felix W. Dr. Hazlewood is a Republican, and is a member of the Masonic and the Odd Fellow fraternities. He has done much to build up the county, intellectually, morally and temperately.
HON. A. J. HOSTETLER, owner and editor of the Bedford Banner, was born in Washington County, Indiana, November 22, 1818, and is a son of Jonathan and Sarah (Ribble) Hostetler, with whom he removed to this county (Lawrence County) when an infant. His father was a Kentuckian by birth, but in 1816 became a resident of Indiana and followed farming until his death in 1828, preceded by the death of Mrs. Hostetler five years. Being cast upon his own resources when yet a small lad, our subject was reared by relatives until seventeen years old, when he went to Decatur, Illinois, and learned blacksmithing. In 1837 he returned to Lawrence County, which has ever since been his home, with the exception of one year, while a resident of Orange County, Indiana. He was engaged in blacksmithing until 1854, and for the succeeding ten years farmed. In 1865 he engaged in merchandizing in Bedford, at which he has largely been engaged until within the last few years. As a Democrat in politics Mr. Hostetler has been a faithful worker for his party, and from 1854 to 1858 served in the upper house of the State Legislature of Indiana, declining a re-election. In 1878 he was elected to represent the old Eighth District in the Forty-sixth Congress, and in 1880 was the delegate of his party to the National Democratic Convention at Cincinnati from the Second District. In September, 1883, he began the editorship of the Banner, which has thrived under his management. In February, 1842, Miss Margaret Newland became his wife, and Jonathan N., John F. (deceased), Sarah A. and Kate, are the names of their children. Mr. Hostetler is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and wife belong to the Christian Church.
HON. DAVID S. HUFFSTUTTER, who has played a conspicuous and honorable part in the affairs of Orange County, is a son of George and Catharine (Sears) Huffstutter, the former of whom was a native of Maryland, born January 12, 1779. George Huffstutter passed his early boyhood in Washington, Penn., and while yet a youth moved to Bourbon County, Ky., where he married. His wife was a native of North Carolina, and was born January, 1779. In the year 1816 he immigrated to Harrison County, Ind., where he engaged in farming. His death occurred in that county in 1861, preceded by his wife's, in 1852, in Floyd County. David S. was born in Bourbon County, Ky., September 21, 1808. His settlement in Orange County was in the year 1835, on the same farm where he now resides (Orleans Township), one mile north of Orleans. He soon became known for his more than ordinary ability and integrity, which resulted in his election to the State Legislature, in 1846. From that time, with the exception of one term, he acted as legislator for his county until 1855, serving in both the House of Representatives and Senate. At the end of that time, against the solicitations of his friends, and disregarding the call of his party, he declined any further political honors. As a public servant he was distinguished for a faithful and conscientious discharge of his official duty, and an unswerving, though honest fealty to his party, and is now, as he always has been, an ardent and stanch Democrat. On the 24th of May, 1832, he lead to Hymen's altar Miss Polly A. Bower, who was born in Clark County, Ind., May 5, 1811. Her parents were Solomon and Jennie (Parr) Bower, who came to Indiana in 1806 from North Carolina. To. Mr. and Mrs. Huffstutter four children were born, only one of which--Andrew J.--is now living. Her death occurred April 20, 1879. Mr. Huffstutter is now spending the remainder of his days upon his splendid farm of 1.000 acres, which he has earned by his own industry and energy.
HON. THOMAS HUNT, born in Southeast Township, this county, February 1, 1821, is a son of James and Ruth (Clark) Hunt, who removed from North Carolina, their native State, to Orange County, Ind., in about 1820, where they afterward died. Thomas passed his youth and early manhood on the farm, going to and teaching school. In 1841, he was married to Miss Alvina Mayfield, who died in 1866, after bearing a family of eight children, six of whom are yet living. The year succeeding the death of his first wife Mr. Hunt was married to Mrs. Margaret (Cain) Shaw, by whom he is the father of one son. The parents belong to the Regular Baptist Church. Mr. Hunts's political career has been somewhat varied, beginning first as a Democrat, and as such serving Orange County as Treasurer from 1859 to 1864, and in 1864 he was elected to the Lower House of the State Legislature. Prior to his election as County Treasurer he served nine years as Justice of the Peace in Greenfield Township. In 1878 he took a very active part in the organization and progress of the National party, but is now affiliating with the Democrats. Beginning in 1866 in the drug trade in Paoli he carried on that branch of business for a time, then opened a provision store, and later kept hotel. In 1872 he embarked in the practice of law, at which he is yet engaged.
HENRY INMAN, an old pioneer, was born in Orange County;, Ind., in 1818; son of Thomas and Priscilla (Sanders) Inman. He is the fourth in a family of eight children and is of English blood. The father of Mr. Inman was born and raised in North Carolina. His paternal grandfather was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and was wounded at the battle of King's Mountain. About 1812 the parents of Mr. Inman came to the territory that now composes Indiana. When the subject of this sketch was fifteen years of age he came with his parents to Lawrence County, where his father died in 1835. Mr. Inman was married in 1836 to Miss Sarah Mitchell, a native of Lawrence County. This marriage was blessed with thirteen children, ten of whom are living. In 1839 Mr. Inman made a settlement near where he now lives (Indian Creek Township). By occupation he has been a life-long farmer and now owns nearly 400 acres of well improved land. He has a good house and barn. He is one of the men who has cleared his farm from the unbroken wilderness. He is a Democrat, though in local matters he supports the best men. He had two sons and three sons-in-law in the late war. The first cabin in which Mr. and Mrs. Inman lived was 12x16 feet, built of round logs and had a stick chimney, puncheon floor and a clap-board door. Mr. and Mrs. Inman have long been members of the Baptist Church and are among the leading old settlers of Indian Creek Township.
HARRISON JOHNSON is a native of French Lick Township, Orange Co., Ind., where he now lives and was born February 7, 1822. He is one of the children of Michael and Elizabeth (Grisom) Johnson, who are elsewhere mentioned. In youth, he received a good education such as the common schools of his day afforded. He remained at home with his parents until about forty years old. He enlisted in Company F, Fifty-eighth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. In this he served about one year and was honorably discharged on account of failing health, August 1, 1862. Since then he has been engaged in farming almost exclusively, and now owns about 200 acres of good land on which he raises considerable stock. Politically, he is a Democrat, and belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church and G.A.R. His wife was Mrs. Jane (Brown) Underwood, who was born October 10, 1836. Their wedding was on June 22, 1865, and of their five children four are now living.
JACOB JOHNSON, a native of Lincoln County, Ky., is the eighth in a family of seventeen children born to Luke and Susan (Stines) Johnson. The Stines family were among the first to brave Indian perils and settle in Kentucky, and Luke Johnson, who was a native of Maryland, also went there at an early day and was there married. He died at sixty-eight years of age and his wife at ninety-seven. Jacob Johnson was born April 8, 1815; immigrated to Orange County, Ind., 1838, where he began working as a farm hand for a mere pittance. By close economy and industry he has secured a farm of 320 acres good land (Northeast Township). The four children born to him marriage with Elizabeth Clemens in 1840 are: Eliza A., James L., Martha S., and John D. The mother died in 1850, and for his second wife Mr. Johnson selected Catherine Treed, by whom he is the father of these children: Mary E., William M., Henry H., Amanda E., Thomas N., Laura E., Oliver L., Allie M., Lulie D., Joseph F. and Louis M. Altogether Mr. Johnson is the father of fifteen living children. He is one of the highly respected men of his township and an enterprising citizen.
PERRY C. JOHNSON, a native of Fleming County, Ky., and a resident of Orange County, (Northeast Township), Ind., since 1849, was born June 5, 1825, and is the youngest of his parents' family. Arthur Johnson, his father, was a native of the Keystone State, but in early manhood went to Kentucky, where he married Miss Nancy Downey, and from the Blue Grass State moved of Jackson County, Ind., in 1832; thence to Orange County in 1849, where he died at the advanced age of seventy-two years, and his wife at sixty-six years. Perry C. Johnson has always followed farming, and by a life of hard work, frugality and good management has secured 400 acres of good land in this county and 100 acres in Illinois. For twenty-one years he has been a consistent member of the Baptist Church, and in political matters he is a supporter of the principles enunciated by the National Democratic Party. Miss Catharine T., daughter of John and Elizabeth Rayhill, became his wife in 1852, and to their union have been born children, named: Nannie U, Oliver P., Ida, Herbert, Bettie and Ellen. Mrs. Johnson is a native of Washington County, Ind., her birth occurring in the year 1834.
WESLEY JOHNSON, (deceased), was one of a family of ten children born to Michael and Elizabeth (Grisom) Johnson, who came from Kentucky to Indiana among the early settlers. Wesley was born in Orange County, August 23, 1824, and remained with his parents working on the farm until nineteen years old, in the meantime receiving but a limited education. At that age he was, on March 9, 1843, married to Emeline Jennings, who was born April 14, 1824. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson began life without any property, and by diligence and hard labor managed to secure a competence of their own. There were born to them nine children, seven of whom are now living. Wesley Johnson enlisted as a soldier in the late war in Company F, Eighty-first Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry, where he served his county faithfully until 1863, when he was wounded in the battle of Stone River, from which he died soon after. At that time Mrs. Johnson was left with some small children. She has never since married, but devoted herself to raising her family, who are now all married and doing well. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and lives with the youngest son, John, on the old homestead farm (French Lick Township).
E. D. LAUGHLIN, M. D., one of the prominent physicians of southern Indiana, is a son of James and Jane (Kelly) Laughlin, who were natives of Pennsylvania. The parents moved to Coshocton, Ohio, among the early settlers of that place, but form there they went to Tippecanoe County, Ind., in 1838, and later in life to Parke County. Dr. Laughlin passed his youth and the first years of his manhood without noteworthy event, and at the age of twenty-six began the study of medicine with Drs. Hobbs and Dare, at Annapolis, in Parke County, Ind. He remained with them for some time and then attended medical lectures at Ann Arbor. Later in life he entered the Miami Medical College at Cincinnati, where he received his diploma in 1868, and in 1872 he graduated from the Bellevue Medical College, of New York. Dr. Laughlin began the practice of his profession at Rossville, where he remained a few years. He then located at Orleans where he has been in active practice for the past twenty years, with the best of success. He is a member of the Lawrence and Mitchell district, the State and Tri-State Medical Societies. His extensive practice, and the frequent calls upon him for counsel by his professional associates sufficiently attest the high estimation in which he is held alike by both the community and by the medical profession. In 1851 he was wedded to Sarah A. Trueblood, of Orange County, a daughter of William and Deborah (Chambers) Trueblood. This union has been blessed with four children: Theodore C., at New Albany; Charles E., a graduate of the Miami Medical College, and now practicing with his father; Mrs. Mattie A. Campbell and Louella P. Both the Doctor and his wife are members of the Christian Church. He is a Republican in politics, and W. M. of Orleans Lodge No. 153, A. F. & A. M.
BAZEL W. LEE is a native of Orange County, Indiana, his birth occurring July 8, 1826, the third of eight children born to Spencer and Elizabeth (Teagarden) Lee, the parents being natives of Kentucky, who came to this State about 1815. Bazel was educated to a limited extent at the old subscription schools, and passed his youth and early manhood at hard work on his father's farm. June 7, 1849, he married Nancy Hostetler, who has borne him eight children, four of whom are now living: Lawrence G., who married Ellen Stipp; Francis M.; A. J. and Claud. January 8, 1880, Mrs. Lee died, and November 2, 1881, Mr. Lee married Ellen (Mills) McElyea. Mr. Lee is an industrious farmer, and owns 340 acres of good land in Shawswick Township, Lawrence County, Indiana. He and wife are exemplary members of the Christian Church. He is a Mason, and a supporter of the principles of the National party. He deals in fine stock, and owns a fine horse of the Morgan blood.
GILEAD P. LEE, a native Hoosier, was born in Orange County, Indiana, December 18, 1828, one of a family of eight children born to Spencer and Elizabeth (Teagarden) Lee, who settled in Orange County from the South (Kentucky) at an early day. Being among the first families to settle in that locality, Gilead P. only secured such education as the old backwoods cabin schoolhouses afforded. Farming has been his principal occupation through life, and with the exception of one year while a resident of Moultrie County, Illinois, he has always resided in Indiana. He became a resident of Lawrence County in November, 1864, and of Bedford in 1870, the first four years after moving to town being engaged in the agricultural implement business. He owns 200 acres of valuable land in Illinois, 80 acres in Lawrence County and valuable town property in Bedford. His marriage with Eliza J. Finley was solemnized September 16, 1851, and to their union seven children have been born, these three named being the only survivors: Sarah M. (Mrs. Fish), Merrill S. and Carrie B. (Mrs. Giles). Both parents are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Lee belongs to the Subordinate Lodge of Odd Fellows, was first a Democrat in politics, but in 1861 became a Republican and in 1874 changed to the National party, with which he yet affiliates.
HENRY LEE, a native Hoosier, was born December 4, 1831, in Orange County, the second son of Isaac and Dorothy (Letherman) Lee, who were natives respectively of Kentucky and Mississippi, the former settling in Orange County in 1814, two years before Indiana became a State. Until attaining his majority the subject of this biography lived with his parents, during which time he received a common school education. At eighteen he began the wagon-maker's trade, at which he has worked the greater part of his life. August, 1862, at one of the darkest periods in the history of the late war, he volunteered in Company A, Sixty-sixth Indiana Regiment, and after participating in numerous hot battles and wearisome campaigns he was honorably discharged June 3, 1865. In the battle at Richmond, Ky., he received a severe gun-shot wound in the right wrist. For the past two years Mr. Lee has been engaged in farming, and is the owner of 247 acres of good land (Bono Township, Lawrence County, Ind.). To his marriage with Miss Nancy J., daughter of Thomas S. and Nancy (Farmer) Smith, eight children have been born, named Andrew J., Nancy W., Sarah E., Mary E., Dorothy A., Lydia E., Eliza J. and one that died in infancy unnamed. Mr. Lee is a Democrat and is now serving his fifth term of Township assessor. He and wife belong to the Christian Church.
WILLIAM W. LEWIS, a native of the county in which he yet resides and a descendant of a pioneer family of Lawrence County, Indiana was born December 21, 1827, and is the third son and only survivor in a family of twelve children born to D. S. and A. A. (Oaks) Lewis. D. S. Lewis immigrated to Indiana Territory in 1814, first settling in Orange County, afterwards removing to Lawrence County. He represented the former county one term in the State Legislature and Lawrence County two terms, also serving about eight years as Commissioner in the latter. He was born January 29, 1798. Early espousing the cause of Christianity he united with the Christian Church, aided in the establishment of that organization in Southern Indiana, and for over fifty years was a minister of that denomination. W. W. Lewis, our subject, lived with his parents until his marriage October 8, 1849, with Rebecca, daughter of William and Polly (Thornton) Chastain, by whom he is the father of this family: Mary A., Martha J., Elizabeth, David S., William W., Charles M., Amanda E., A. S., John H., L. E., Lucretia, Isaac N. and an infant, deceased. The parents are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Lewis owns a good farm of 480 acres (Bono Township) and is a Democrat. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served faithfully until the expiration of his term of service, when he was honorably discharged September 17, 1864.
BENJAMIN M. LINGLE, manufacturer and dealer in saddles and harness, was born at Orleans, Orange County, Ind., May 30, 1840, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Mayne) Lingle, and is of German extraction. His father was born in Virginia and his mother in Maryland. They immigrated to Ohio at a very early day and there remained until about 1833, when they came to Indiana and settled in Orange County. The father of Mr. Lingle died in Florida in 1883. At sixteen years of age The subject of this sketch began an apprenticeship at harness-making in Paoli. In 1860 he engaged in the harness business in partnership with an elder brother. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteers and served more than two years. He was united in marriage to Miss Ruth E. Lindley of Paoli, Ind., in 1863, who bore him three children, viz: John E., Samuel and Charles W. He is a Republican and cast his first Presidential vote for Lincoln. In 1881 Mr. Lingle went to Florida, and in 1883 he purchased land in that State and planted an orange grove. He still continues his residence and harness business in Paoli. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is a prominent business man of Paoli and one of its substantial citizens.
JAMES A. LOCKHART is a native of this county, born September 5, 1830, being the eldest of five children of Eleazer and Susanna Agan) Lockhart. His parents were natives of North Carolina, and came with their parents to Indiana when yet comparatively young, and here they were married and lived until overtaken by death. The father was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, and was one of the pioneer teachers of the county. He and wife were honored citizens and both now lie buried on the old Agan farm on Section 20 (Southeast Township). Their children were: Mary J. (deceased), Hannah E. (who married Samuel Francher), James A., Alfred and Nancy E. (deceased). James A. made his home with his parents until his marriage. His advantages were limited, though he secured in youth a rudimentary education. His father's death occurred when he was eight years old, and he being the oldest boy was forced to shoulder many responsibilities intended for older persons. He married Emily J., daughter of S. and J. Burton, October 20, 1852, and eleven children are the fruits of their union: William F. (deceased), Alfred, Henry, James A. (deceased), John, Sherman, George, Mary, Belle, Charley and Sophronia. Mr. Lockhart is a prosperous farmer, and a prominent citizen. He owns 340 acres of land (forty acres in Harrison County). He is a Mason, a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. Mrs. Lockhart, an amiable Christian lady, was born June 20, 1841.