GEORGE W. FAUCETT, County Superintendent of Schools, is the oldest of five children of James and Sarah B. (Dickey) Faucett, his birth occurring in this county, September 19, 1845. His parents were natives of North Carolina and came to this county about 1832. The youth of George W. was passed on the farm, and at the age of seventeen, the war being in progress, he went to Cumberland Gap, Tenn., to enlist, but was prevented by his father on account of his immaturity. While there he was taken sick with typhoid fever, and in this helpless condition, fell into the hands of the enemy, remaining thus for about one month, when he was paroled and exchanged. October 19, 1863, he volunteered in Company B, Eighty-Ninth Illinois Regiment, with which command he served until May, 1865, when he was transferred to Company B, Fifty-ninth Regiment, and served until January 13, 1866, and was then mustered out at Springfield, Ill. During his military service he participated in the following battles, expeditions, etc: Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge, Knoxville, the entire Atlanta campaign, Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville, besides others of less importance. He may well be proud of his military record. October 1, 1868, he married Elizabeth Mathers, who bore him six children: Cora E., Euphenia J., Cameron, Charles T., James N. and Orville R. In youth Mr. Faucett received a fair education, which, since the war, he has greatly improved. For the past fifteen years he has been engaged in teaching, and his success in this profession is measured by his election in 1881 for the office of County Superintendent. He owes his success to his own persistent efforts and his love of the work of the instruction of youth. He is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities and of the G.A.R., and is a Republican. In 1874 he removed to California, but returned in 1876 (Orangeville Township).
GREEN HAZLEWOOD, M.D., born at Paoli, Ind., November 12,1836, is a son of Josiah and Lovica (Johnson) Hazelwood, who came to Indiana about the year 1815 and located in what is now French Lick Township, Orange County. Soon after this Josiah Hazlewood moved to Paoli and worked at his trade, blacksmithing. Although noted for his singular characteristics, he was also known for his more than average intelligence and benevolence. He was County Sheriff and subsequently County Recorder for may years. His fist wife was Martha Pigg, his second Lovica Johnson, and his third Jane Mahan. His second and third wives each bore him four children. In the latter part of his life he was a resident of Stampers Creek Township, where he died in the fall of 1876. Dr. Green Hazlewood has always lived in Orange County where he received a good common school education, and at the age of eighteen years began reading medicine. In 1864 he located at Valeene for the practice of his profession, and in the spring of 1870 graduated from the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis. Ever since that time he has been located at Chambersburg (Paoli Township) in active practice. The Doctor is Independent in his political views and is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity. May 17,1860, he married Elzora Stewart, by whom he is father of twelve children, these nine: Frank, John, Minnie L, Herschel, Clorah, James, Blanche, Fred and Edward, yet living. Dr. Hazlewood was elected County Recorder in 1859 and served four years.
JAMES HICKS, a prominent citizen of Orangeville Township, is a native of the State of Tennessee, where he was born August 20, 1818, being the oldest child of five born to Daniel and Sarah (Chelders) Hicks. His parents came to this State and county in the year 1823, and settled in the vicinity of Orangeville. James remained at home with his mother and assisted in taking care of his younger brothers and sisters until he attained the age of twenty-two years. He received a limited education. January 13, 1846, his marriage with Mary M. Porter was solemnized, and to their union eight children were born, of which these three are now living: James T., whose present wife's name was Maggie Berry; Laura A., who was united in marriage to Henry Herman; Samuel R., who married Ida Hudelson. October 23, 1859, Mr. Hicks suffered the loss of his wife, and January 8, 1860, the nuptials of his marriage with Clorinda Morris were celebrated, and their union has been blessed with eight children, seven of whom are now living: Emily E., Mary M., William J., John H., Edward H., Charles W. and Ruth E., all at home with their parents. Our subjects's occupation has been principally farming, and he has been quite successful in that pursuit, and now owns 160 acres of well improved land. Mr. and Mrs. Hicks are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his political views are Democratic.
SAMUEL HICKS, one of ten children of Solomon and Lucy (Butts) Hicks, was born December 11, 1809, in Vermont. His father was a native of New York, his mother of Massachusetts, and were respectively of German-English and English descent. In the year 1822 they and family immigrated to Switzerland County, this State, where August 21, 1837, Samuel was licensed to preach according to the doctrine of the Methodist Episcopal Church, by the Rev. E. G. Wood, and was ordained Local Deacon of that church by Bishop Wall, September 29, 1844, at Bloomington, Ind., and Local Elder October 4, 1847, at Evansville. He traveled the patriot Circuit nine months in 1843, Manchester in 1844, Wilmington in 1845, Orleans in 1846 and 1847, Washington in 1848, and was a supply on the Stanford Circuit in 1857. July 11, 1847, he married Grace E. Greenleaf, and one child was born of this union--Samuel G.-- who died in the late war at the battle of Champion Hills. The deaths of his wife took place January 22, 1839. September 11, 1845, he again married, this time to Eliza Lee. Two children have been born to them: Mary E., wife of William Shirley, and William T., the present County Clerk, whose sketch appears in this work. Soon after the date of this marriage they moved to Orleans. (Orangeville Township)
WILLIAM T. HICKS, Clerk of Orange County, was born at Orangeville, Ind., September 5, 1850, and is a son of Samuel and Eliza J. (Lee) Hicks, who were descendants from English ancestors, as the name indicated. His early years were passed in assisting his father and attending the neighborhood schools, but later in life he was enabled to attend Asbury University (now De Pauw) and the State University at Bloomington. When scarcely in his teens, in 1864, he volunteered for the late war, and was made a member of Company F, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but owing to the conclusion of the war shortly thereafter, he did not get to see much hard service. In 1874 his marriage with Miss Mary M. Ritter was solemnized, and this same year he embarked in the milling business in his native town, in which he is yet interested. The same year of his marriage Mrs. Hicks died, and in 1882 Mr. Hicks married Miss Laura M. Taylor, his present wife, by whom he is the father of one son--Samuel W. He has ascended to the Royal Arch degree in Masonry, and is a Republican politically. He was elected Trustee of Orangeville Township in 1880, and two years later he was elected County Clerk, in which capacity he is now serving.
JAMES A. HILL was born in this township February 28, 1838, and is one of nine children of Jesse and Lydia (Millis) Hill, and a grandson of William Hill, who came to this county from North Carolina at a very early day. The latter raised a large family, the oldest being Jesse, who was born in North Carolina. Jesse was a farmer, but learned blacksmithing, at which he also worked. He was a man of good heart and brain, though his education was limited. James A. was the fourth in his father's family, and was meagerly educated at the old subscription schools. He selected farming as his life occupation, and has steadily amassed property, until he now owns 240 acres of Land (Paoli Township). May 20, 1858, he married Elizabeth R. Webb, who has borne him seven children: Lydia, Enoch, Henry, John, Mary, Maria and Sarah. September 13, 1872, Mrs. Hill died, and April 6, 1873, he married Miriam Gillum, who bore him four children: James, Barbara Ellen, Hettie and William. His second wife died March 9, 1883, and February 27, 1884, he married Emma Robbins. Mr. Hill is a member of the Society of Friends, is a Republican , and for several years was Superintendent of the County Poor Asylum. He is prominent and well respected.
JESSE HILL is a son of Christopher and Mourning (Trueblood) Hill, who were natives of North Carolina. In the year 1812, a short time prior to their marriage, they settled in Orange County, Ind., where they spent the balance of their lives. They were among the prominent early settlers and belonged to the Quaker Church. Of their family of nine children, Jesse Hill was the oldest, having been born January 23, 1815. His education is such as the early country schools of his time afforded. Like his father, he has devoted his whole life to agricultural pursuits, with good success. Elizabeth Osborn became his wife November 23, 1837, and to this union nine children have been born, these six now living: Charles N., Thomas E., William O., Homer, Elizabeth (Jones) and Edmund B. The death of Mrs. Hill occurred February 7, 1884. She had long been a member of the Society of Friends, and to this same religion Mr. Hill has always been a devout adherent. All of their children are members of the Quaker Church by birthright. In early life Mr. Hill was a Whig in politics, but in 1856 voted for the Republican candidate for President, and since that time has been allied with that party, being a strong advocate for the abolition of slavery. (Paoli Township)
J. M. HOBSON, farmer, was born in Highland County, Ohio, March 6, 1817. His father was Josiah Hobson a native of North Carolina and a soldier in the war of 1812. His first wife was Mary Trop, who died after bearing seven children, four of whom are yet living. He married a second time, Sarah Fox, by whom he became the father of three children, all living. Both parents are now dead. J. M. Hobson was raised on his father's farm. January 2, 1840, he was married to Sarah Wells. Together they removed to Indiana in 1856, settling in Orange County, where Mr. Hobson now owns a farm of 248 acres. Although exempted from military duty, by reason of his age, Mr. Hobson, when he saw the peril of his country, volunteered his services for the preservation of the Union, and the summer of 1862, when Company D, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry was organized, he was elected Second Lieutenant. His Company was engaged in the battle of Richmond, Ky. Mr. Hobson was an active participant in the battles of Collierville, Tenn., Dallas, Ga., siege of Atlanta, with Sherman to the sea, up through the Carolinas, in the grand review at Washington, D. C., and in various scrimishes and engagements. He was mustered out as First Lieutenant. His wife dying July 2, 1871, Mr. Hobson married for his present wife, Mrs. Lydia R. (Wells) Davis, who is yet living. To his first marriage were born three children--two sons and a daughter--and both sons served in Company A, Thirty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. The oldest son, Samuel M., was twice wounded. Hi is now living in Pike County, Ind., and is married, with a family. The other son, William H., lives in Orange County, is a farmer, is also married and has a family. The daughter, Rosanna, died when about three years old. Mr. Hobson is a Republican in politics, one of Paoli township's best farmers, and both he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Hobsons are of English descent.
SAMUEL MAHAN was born in Stampers Creek Township, Orange Co., Ind., where he now lives, August 13, 1826. He is one of twelve children of Peter and Mary (Reed) Mahan, who were among the earliest settlers in Orange County, having come from Kentucky in 1809, about three years after their marriage. Their deaths occurred in June and September, 1878. Samuel Mahan received a common school education in the early schools of the county, and has devoted his whole life to farming. His success is abundantly indicated by the splendid farm he now owns of 277 acres of the best land in Orange County. June 20, 1850, his marriage was solemnized with Sarah I. Dougherty, who has borne him a family of ten children, all living but two, and named Franklin G., Mary E., Robert S., Peter D., Sarah J., Emily C., Clara B. and John W. Mrs. Mahan's parents, Robert and Sarah (Tanner) Dougherty, were of the first settlers in the county. She was born November 8, 1832. Both Mr. and Mrs. Mahan are members of the Regular Baptist Church, near where they live. Mr. Mahan is a Republican in politics, and one of the best citizens of the county.
THE MARIS FAMILY. The original members of this family came from Worchestershire, England, about two centuries ago, to escape religious persecution, the founders of the name in this country being George and Alice Maris. They reached America in 1683, and bought 1,000 acres of land in Delaware County, Penn. They had six children, one being John, who married Susanna Lewis, who bore him three sons and six daughters. The sons, John, George and Aaron, went to North Carolina before the Revolution, and reared large families there. Aaron returned to Pennsylvania and died without issue. George married Eleanor Lindley, who bore him four sons and three daughters, all living to raise families. Thomas, son of George, was born July 16, 1776 and in 1802 married Jane Holaday, and in 1811 moved to Paoli Township, where they lived until their deaths. They had eleven children: Sarah, Eleanor, Mary, Anna, Aaron, Ruth, Lucinda, William, George, John and Susannah. October 31, 1833, Aaron married Mary Farlow, who bore him three children: Mary A., Thomas and Mary. His second wife was Jane Andrews, who bore him five children: Oliver, Sarah J., Luther, Ruth and Aaron. The father, Aaron, died in 1852, and his wife, who was born in North Carolina in 1816, is yet living. Their children and John, son of Thomas, are the only members of the family now living in this county. John is one of the wealthiest farmers of the county, owning nearly 1,000 acres, and has made much of it by judicious business transactions. Aaron, son of Aaron, and grandson of Thomas, was born 1852, and November 12, 1878, married Mary A. Rhodes, who was born in this county June 6, 1855. They have two children: John J. and Myrtle E. Mr. Maris owns 238 acres, and is a progressive young farmer. The Marises belong to the Friends or Quakers, and are among the most respected and useful citizens. (Paoli Township)
WILLIAM H. MARTIN, son of Col. Roger Martin, appropriate mention of whom is made elsewhere herein, was born May 7, 1848. Until fifteen years of age he resided at Salem, Ind., and for the succeeding two years was employed as a clerk at New Albany. He then began the reading of law and did not relinquish his studies while acting as shop book-keeper in the Pennsylvania Central Railroad office at Pittsburgh. Early in 1868 he came to Bedford and for a time studied in the office of Wilson & Voris, but in October, 1869, he moved to Paoli, and opening an office began the practice of his profession. He remained at Paoli until 1881, since when he has resided in Bedford, where he has acquired a lucrative practice. Mr. Martin is a Republican, a member of the I.O.O.F. and Masonic fraternities and was married on his twenty-sixth birthday to Miss Mattie F. Dougherty, of Liberty, Mo., by whom he is the father of one living child -- Roger.
THOMAS N. MATHERS, auctioneer and farmer, is a native of Bourbon County, Ky., where he was born August 23, 1819, one of a family of six children born to James and Jane (Ardrey) Mathers, who came to Orange County, Ind., in the year 1840. Our subject received a very meager education in the subscription schools of his time. He has a wide reputation over the county and adjoining territory as an auctioneer, and as a farmer he has been very successful, owning a farm of 241 acres of improved land (Orangeville Township). He is an active political worker, using his influence in the advocacy of the principles of the Republican party, by whom he has been elected to the office of Township Trustee for five terms, and was their nominee for County Treasurer, failing in election in consequence of their minority, but succeeding in reducing his opponent's majority. January 20, he married Lean Ham, who has borne him eight children, five of whom are now living: Laura, wife of James A. Jenkins; James W., Lizzie, consort of George W. Faucett; Amanda C., wife of John T. Laswell, and Theophilus P. Himself and wife are members of the Christian Church.
THOMAS MCBRIDE is a native of this county, and was born April 19, 1842, being one of twenty-one children of James and Mary (Williams) McBride. The names of the children are as follows: John, Isaiah, Joseph, James, William, David, George, Jonathan, Thomas, Betsey J., Sina M., Polly A., Nancy, Ellen, Margaret, and others to the number of twenty-one, who died in infancy. The parents were natives of North Carolina, and came to Indiana in 1828, locating permanently in this county. Thomas received a fair education in youth, and was reared a farmer, and was from boyhood inured to hard work. He remained at home until the war commenced, and August 19, 1862, enlisted in Company D, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served honorably until the close of the war, being mustered out June 14, 1865. Upon his return he married Sarah E., daughter of James and Susan (Mays) Hutsler, November 27, 1866. They have five children: Clara (deceased), Lora B., Ella B., Eddie L. and Dessie. Mr. McBride has followed farming, and now owns 100 acres (Southeast Township). He and wife are members of the Christian Church, and he is a Republican, a member of the G.A.R., and a useful and respected man.
JAMES MCCAULEY was born in Guilford County, N.C., January 21, 1812, the fifth of eight children of James and Margaret (Kimmons) McCauley. Both parents were of Irish descent, the father a native of South Carolina and the mother of North Carolina. The father came to this state about the year 1822, the family coming later and settling in this township (Orangeville) and county. When our subject was about sixteen years old, his father died, and he remained with his mother until he was about nineteen, receiving a rudimentary education. After that he began in earnest for himself. He worked industriously and now has a comfortable home and a good farm. He is a prominent Democrat and a member of the Christian Church, and a citizen of exemplary character and habits. He has been Justice of the Peace several times. April 22, 1838 he married Sarah Laffaty, and eight of their nine children are now living, as follows: Albert M., who married Lucretia Griggs; Mary E., who married Robert Knight; Susan J., who became the wife of S. T. Able; Margaret E., who married J. A. J. Able; John, who married Maria Stackhouse; Lydia C., unmarried; Joseph K., whose wife was Emily J. Felkner, and James W., who married Sarah Duncan. The McCauleys are people of worth and respectability.
HENRY MCCOY is the son of George McCoy, a native of the Old Dominion, and was born in Stampers Creek Township, Orange County, Ind., February 19, 1834. The father was a soldier of the war of 1812 , serving under Gen. Harrison, and at an early day had settled near Crab Orchard, KY. He married Lydia Wolf, and in 1814 came to Stampers Creek, where he lived until his death. He was a much respected citizen, a member of the Democratic party, and his family consisted of twelve children. The family endured many hardships in this new country, the mother on one occasion going alone on horse-back to Kentucky after seed corn. Our subject, one of their children, was reared a farmer, receiving a rudimentary education. September 27, 1855, he married Rebecca M., daughter of Shelby and Susanna H. (Throop) Wolf, and they have these children living: Jefferson, Harry, James W., Dora E., Delos, Scott and Lillie; and these dead: Guilderoy T., Hettie, George A. and Shelby V. Mr. McCoy has lived upon his present farm since 1858, and now owns 240 acres (Paoli Township). He is a Mason and a Democrat, and he and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. Mrs. McCoy was born in this county November 24, 1847. Both families are among the best of the county.
JACKSON MCCOY, a farmer of Stampers Creek Township, is a native of Washington County, Ind., and was born October 20, 1814, and is one of twelve children of George and Lydia (Wolfe) McCoy, who came to Indiana from Virginia in an early day. While quite young Jackson's parents moved to Orange County, where his home has been ever since. His education is meager, and was all obtained in the old-fashioned schools of his time. The occupation of his life has been farming and stock-raising. His farm of over 300 acres is well improved and cultivated, and is situated in the best part of Orange County. His marriage with Sarah VanCleave was on the 13th of April, 1847, and the result of this union was nine children, named William F., George B., Alexander, Jackson A., Guilderoy, John V., Sarah, Henry F. and James N. He was grieved by the death of his wife October 11, 1881. Politically he has always been a Democrat, and expects always to be such. Mr. McCoy is now enjoying the close of life surrounded by his children, and reposing in the high esteem of all his neighbors.
SAMUEL MCKNIGHT was born in Lawrence County, Indiana, April 25, 1824, being the second of eight children born to Christopher and Rebecca (Vontrece) McKnight. The father was a North Carolinian, and came to Indiana on the day of the battle of Tippecanoe, settling first on Lost River in Orange County, but going to Lawrence about the year 1814. The mother was a native of Shelby County, Kentucky. Samuel remained on his father's farm, securing in youth merely the rudiments of an education. October 26, 1846, he married Samantha P. Ikerd, and they are parents of the following children: Robert E., who married Ellen Kinnick; Theophilus F., whose wife was America Jones; Eliza J., who married Thomas Ragsdale; Mary E., who is the wife of P. H. Ikerd; James D., who married Nancy A. Younger, deceased; Rebecca A., unmarried; Harriet K., who is the wife of John Alexander; Samantha E., who married William Lanier; William E., Massie E., Susan E. and Sarah I., the last four unmarried. Mr. McKnight comes of an old and prominent family. He is a successful farmer, owning 280 acres of land (Shawswick Township, Lawrence Co., Ind.). He deals to some extent in fine stock. He is a Democrat and his wife is a member of the Methodist Church.
WILLIAM MCKNIGHT, born in Shawswick Township, Lawrence County, Indiana, December 6, 1842, the youngest of nine children of Christopher and Rebecca (Vontrece) McKnight, lost his father when quite young and passed his youth with his mother. His father was a native of North Carolina and his mother of Kentucky, both families being early settlers in Indiana. His mother died October 20,1876. Educational advantages to him were almost wholly lacking. November 8, 1876, he married Anna Smith, who bore him six children, five of whom are living: Ella, Alice, Clara, Lottie and Bessie. Their little boy Hugh, died March 19, 1883, a sad loss. Mr. McKnight has been and is a successful farmer, and owns 327 acres of good land. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Eighteenth Regiment, and served for about two years, being discharged April 18, 1863, by reason of a severe wound received at Pea Ridge. Mr. McKnight is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a member of the G.A.R. He is a member of the Democratic party, and is a good citizen.
WILLIAM MCLANE, one of the few remaining of our old pioneers, is a native of Scott County, Ky., where he was born October 20, 1813, a son of Robert and Elizabeth (Van Zant) McLane, who were of Irish and German descent, and among the first settlers of the State of Kentucky. When only three years old William was brought to Orange County, Ind., by his parents, and was here reared amidst the hardships and pioneer scenes of that day. He was left an orphan in 1864, both parents dying within nine days of each other's death. Since 1816 he has always resided within the borders of Orange County, and can look backward over a well-spent life of seventy-one years without a blush of shame coloring his cheek for one dishonorable act of his. He has made farming his vocation, and now owns a good farm of 120 acres. March 10, 1836, Martha Irvin, who was born in Kentucky, November 13,1813, a daughter of William and Polly Irvin, became his wife, and seven children have blessed them, named Mary (deceased), Eliza J., Samuel R. (deceased), Jesse E., Margaret (deceased), John (deceased) and Lottie A. (deceased). Mr. McLane is a Republican in politics, and he and his wife are useful and respected citizens of the township (Northeast Township).
HON. JOHN L. MEGENITY, editor and attorney of Paoli, is a native of Henry County, Ky., where he was born july 31,1833. He was raised and educated in Kentucky, receiving quite a liberal education for that day at the select schools, in some of which the higher branches were taught. Until the age of sixteen he lived upon a farm, but at that unusually early period of his life he began teaching school, and continued for about ten years, employing his vacations much of the time in the study of the law in the office of Judge DeHaven. In December, 1859, he came to Orange County and here has resided since. He began teaching in Greenfield Township, continuing there and elsewhere until 1863, when he was elected on the Democratic ticket County Surveyor, serving for one year. The next year he was elected County Clerk, and was re-elected in 1868. In 1873 he was appointed to fill the unexpired term of the same office, occasioned by the death of John C. Lingle. In the fall of 1874, he was elected to the office of Joint Representative of Orange and Washington Counties. In 18872 he began the practice of law in partnership with Judge Mavity and T. B. Buskirk, but left in 1873, when he was appointed Clerk. After his legislative term he commenced the practice with T. B. Buskirk, continuing until 1878, when he bought the Paoli "News", which he has since conducted in connection with his legal business. October 10, 1861, he married Miss Mary A. Critchfield, of Greenfield Township. Mr. Megenity is a leading Democrat of the county, and a member of the Royal Arch Degree in Masonry; he is also an Odd Fellow. His wife is a member of the Regular Baptist Church.
JAMES W. MELTON is one of eight children born to James and Mary (Kendall) Melton, who were natives of South Carolina and Kentucky. The parents were married in Harrison County, Ind., and from there came to Orange County in 1819. James W., the third son, was born March 25, 1825, and he made his home with his mother until the time of his marriage, the father dying and leaving him at the age of four years to her care. His advantages for education were quite limited, although by diligence he succeeded in acquiring sufficient learning to transact the ordinary business of a farmer, which he has always successfully conducted. In politics he is a Democrat, and is one of the worthy and upright citizens of Greenfield Township, Orange County, Ind., where his whole life has been spent. His marriage with Miss Mary A. Ray was solemnized February 8, 1849, and of their five children these three are now living: Joel W., Melinda E. and Rhoda J.
MICHAEL N. MESSICK, one of the oldest business men of Bedford, Shawswick Township, Lawrence County, Indiana, was born March 6, 1830 in Orleans, Orange County, Indiana, one of six children born to Michael N. and Laurinda A. (Ramsey) Messick, who were among the earliest settlers of Orange County, Indiana, from Kentucky. M. N. Messick, Jr., came to Bedford in 1838 with his mother, who was a widow with six children. He received a common school education in the schools of that early day, and at the age of twelve years began to learn the printer's trade in the office of the Bedford Star, which he followed for three years, and at the end of this time began work on the Louisville Democrat. From there he went to Paoli, Orange County, where he learned the cabinet trade, and remained three years; then located at Point Commerce in Greene County, Indiana where he did a general furniture trade for eighteen months, and then returned to Paoli. May 18, 1852, he married to Sarah J. Johnson, and by her is the father of five children, only two now living: Elizabeth C. and Carrie V. (Webb). In 1852 Mr. Messick began working at his trade in Bedford; then clerked for a time, and in December, 1856, in partnership with William Duncan and Dr. J.W. Newland, embarked in the hardware trade. From 1856 to December, 1873, he was actively engaged in this business in Bedford with different partners, but since that time he has been alone, and is now the leading merchant of hardware in the place. He is one of the self-made men of the place, beginning life poor, and by diligence and industry acquiring a comfortable income. April 24, 1867, his wife died, and for a second wife he married Mrs. Sarah J. (Davis) Simpson on the 2d of June, 1868. To this union has been born four children, named: Sally, Laurinda, Mary and Michael H. Mr. Messick was President of the first Board of Trustees of Bedford; is a Republican, a member of the F. & A.M., and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HENRY MONYHAN was born in Louisville, Ky., December 2, 1824. Turns Monyhan, his father, was a native of Ireland, and when a young man crossed to Quebec, Canada, from whence he went to Louisville, Ky., in 1816, and there, in 1823, married Nancy Bateman. In 1835 they moved to Lawrence County, Ind., and two years later to Washington County, where they died at the ages of seventy-six and seventy-nine years respectively. Henry was raised on a farm, and on attaining his majority began for himself by working around at $6 per month, cutting wood at 25 cents a cord, etc. Having secured a fair education he early in life evinced a desire for merchandizing, and after trading in poultry for a time opened a store at Saltillo, where he was also railroad agent. He continued there five years, then farmed two years, and in 1860 moved to Lancaster, in Orange County, where he again embarked in mercantile pursuits, also serving as Postmaster and railroad agent. For the past twenty-four years Mr. Monyhan has continued here (Northeast Township), and by good management and industry has secured a fine home, over 1,000 acres of land, besides other desirable property. He is a stanch Republican, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Masonic brotherhood, and has been twice married, first, in 1848, to Rebecca Walters, daughter of Abner and Elizabeth Walters, by whom he was the father of five children, only Nannie E. (Mrs. Cyrus E. Finley) and Johnson now living. The mother died in 1864, and one year later Mr. Monyhan married Julia, daughter of Benjamin and Amelia Turley. One daughter--Puss--has blessed this union, and is a graduate of De Pauw University.
JAMES N. MURPHY was born in Stampers Creek Township this county, July 20, 1830, and is one of eleven children, two of whom are yet living, born to Daniel and Mary (Hinton) Murphy. Daniel Murphy was born and reared in Shenandoah County, Va., his birth occurring in April, 1790. James Murphy, the father of Daniel, was also a native of the Old Dominion, and was of Irish descent. He married a Miss Newland, whose ancestors were from England, and served seven years in the Revolutionary war. He was in the campaign to Quebec with Benedict Arnold and afterward was with Gen. Morgan at the battle of Cowpens and was a member of the valiant 300 who held Tarlton's army in check, and there he was shot through one hip. After the war he settled in Virgina, and here his wife died, after bearing three children, the youngest of whom was Daniel. He re-married and with his family, in 1810, immigrated to what is now Washington County, Ind., and in the fall of 1811 removed to what is now the northeast quarter of Section 8, Range 2 east, Township 1, of Orange County. He here began farming, and in 1826 died on the old farm in this county at about seventy-five years of age. Daniel Murphy was a soldier of the war of 1812. His wife was the daughter of George and Mary Hinton, and was born in Shenandoah County, Va., in 1795, and came with her parents to Orange County, Ind., in 1811, settling on the southwest quarter of Section 5, and the north half of the northwest quarter of Section 8, Township 1 north, Range 2 east. Daniel Murphy and Mary Hinton were married September 2, 1812, and of the ten children they raised to maturity only James N. and Lena N. (Gilmore) yet living. The mother died in July, 1872, in Illinois, and Mr. Murphy in August, 1863, on the old homestead where his father had died. James N. Murphy was raised a farmer, receiving in youth a good common English education. He selected farming as his vocation through life and his success in life in this particular is 640 acres of good land (Southeast Township). The fall of 1861 he helped recruit Company F, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, of which he was chosen Second Lieutenant on the company's organization. He was an active participant in the sieges of New Madrid and Corinth and served through a number of severe campaigns, but owing to protracted ill-health he was compelled to resign his commission June 28, 1862. Mr. Murphy is a Republican in politics, but previous to the Rebellion was a Democrat. He was married September 8, 1852, to Miss Lizzie, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth (Foster) Stalcup, who was born April 10, 1832, and died February 1, 1868, after bearing a family of six children, named Samuel S., Daniels, George B., Addie, Emma and Lizzie. Of these all are dead except Emma. Mr. Murphy married again February 18, 1870, Miss Mary J. Whitten. In the spring of 1811 Daniel M. went with Zachary Taylor, then a Captain, from Louisville to Vincennes, but was soon after discharged and returned to Louisville alone and among the Indians. While at French Lick he saw the prisoners let loose that had been taken on suspicion of killing William Charles at that place in the spring of 1811. He was there in the fall.
ABRAHAM NOBLITT, a descendant of one of Orange County's oldest families, was born in Southeast Township, November 26, 1843, and is a son of William and Mary (Holliday) Noblitt, the former born in Washington County, Ind., in 1818, and the latter one year later in Chatham County, N.C. In 1861 Abraham Noblitt enlisted as a private in Company F, Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, for the suppression of the Rebellion, and after serving in several important battles, participated in the Atlanta campaign, then joined Sherman's army in that memorable march to the sea, thence up through the Carolinas, finally participating in the grand review at Washington, D.C. July 17, 1865, he was honorably discharged wearing a Sergeant's chevrons, and the year following Miss Louisa Mattox, a native of this county, became his wife; to their union have been born seven children: only Herbert and Frank yet living. In 1868 Mr. Noblitt was elected County Auditor, and after serving one term, was re-elected in 1872 without opposition. In 1876 he began the practice of law, which he has since followed and is also engaged in farming and raising stock. In politics he is an unswerving Democrat, for three years serving as Master Commissioner of the county, and is the present nominee of his party for State's Advocate of the Tenth Judicial District. In December 1878, he was appointed and served eighteen months with entire satisfaction to all concerned, as one of the two experts to investigate the Marion County, Ind., record for a period dating back ten years. He is a member of the Masonic, I.O.O.F. and G.A.R. fraternities and as a public official, and otherwise his record is without a stain.
HUGH NOBLITT was born in Grayson County, Va., June 1, 1818, son of Jacob and Louisa (Collins) Noblitt, who were both natives of Virginia. Jacob was born September 15, 1781, and his wife January 15, 1786. They were married in their native State and in 1822 came to Orange County and settled near Orleans. Here they lived until their deaths, he dying October 18, 1856, and his wife August 16, 1858. They were people of the highest respectability. Eight children were born of this marriage as follows: Paulina, born March 15, 1807, and married R. Elrod and moved to California, at which place she died; Martha, now Mrs. Cleveland, born February 1, 1809; Louisa, born March 17, 1811, and died October 12, 1828; Van Rensselaer, born March 10, 1813; Seneca, born September 13, 1815; Celia, now Mrs. Coward, born February 18, 1821; Rebecca A., now Mrs. Laswell, born March 20, 1824; and our subject, who has resided in the county since 1822 and followed farming. He was married in this county March 17, 1842, to Elizabeth, daughter of Henry H. and Nancy (Peacher) Webb. She was born in Kentucky, December 4, 1825, and came with her parents to this county when but four months old. To. Mr. and Mrs. Noblitt were born the following children: Henry A., born November 24, 1842, died March 9, 1843; Volney T., July 2, 1844; Angeline, a twin born July 2, 1844, and died November 10, 1844; Mary C. October 7, 1846, died September 30, 1852; John T., July 24, 1850; Margaret Z., October 12, 1852, died June 14, 1880; Matilda C., June 26, 1855, died September 30, 1862; Annie M., (Mrs. Hudelson), September 29, 1857; Nancy E., (Mrs. True), March 16, 1860; Martha A., November 21, 1863, died March 22, 1880, and Hugh Sherman, March 19, 1867. Mr. and Mrs. Noblitt are members of the Presbyterian Church and he is a Republican.
JAMES L. NOBLITT, a son of William and Mary (Holaday) Noblitt, is a native of Stampers Creek Township, Orange Co., Ind., and was born June 27, 1845. He is the second of five children, and in his early life attended the common schools of the county until the age of twenty years, and in the vacations worked upon his father's farm. In January, 1865, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-fourth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, where he served until the close of the war, and was honorably discharged in July of the same year. Upon his return home he attended one term at the Paoli Normal School, and after this he went to the Orleans Academy for some time. In the year 1867 he began teaching in the district schools of Orange County, and had taught eight terms before he was appointed to the office of County Superintendent in 1875. In this capacity he worked until June, 1881, with satisfaction. Under his supervision the schools of the county were graded and greatly improved. Since the expiration of his term of office he has taught three terms of school. His marriage with Laura Mayedon, of the same county, was solemnized February 6, 1870, and to their union three children have been born, named Mary C., Emma and Lulu. Both Mr. and Mrs. Noblitt are members of the Regular Baptist Church at Pleasant Grove, near where they live. Mr. Noblitt is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and belongs to Paoli Lodge No. 119. In politics he is Democratic, and usually takes a lively interest in the public affairs of the county.
JOHN V. NOBLITT is the son of William and Mary (Holaday) Noblitt, and was born in Southeast Township April 7, 1853. Both families were old settlers and highly respectable people. The father was born in Washington County, Ind., and the mother in North Carolina. By his first marriage Mr. Noblitt had five children: Abraham, James L., William, John V. and Nancy J. His second wife was Mrs. Nancy J. (Radcliff) Maxedon, who bore him four children: Martha, David R., Josephine and Louisa. Mr. Noblitt is yet living near Chambersburg, well respected and honored. John V. was raised upon a farm, and November 22, 1874, married Caroline Trotter, a native of Washington County. This lady died January 21, 1878, after bearing her husband two children: Eddie L. and Dessie A., both of whom are now deceased. June 8, 1880, Mr. Noblitt married Mary Holaday, who was born in Marion County, Ill., March 7, 1854. To this marriage two children have been born: Charley J. and an infant. Mr. Noblitt followed farming until 1878, since which he has been attending school and working at the tonsorial trade. He is a Democrat, a Mason and an exemplary man.
VAN R. NOBLITT, a native of Grayson County, Va., was born March 10, 1813, of a family of eight children of Jacob and Levina (Collins) Noblitt, he being the fourth. His parents were natives of the same State and came to Indiana in the year 1822, and settled in the county of which our subject this now a resident. He remained at home and assisted his parents on the farm until he attained his majority, receiving a very limited education. November 2, 1847, he married Caroline M. Campbell. Since October, 1853, he has been almost continuously engaged as a merchant in a store of general merchandize at Orangeville, doing quite an extensive business. He also owns about 160 acres of land, raising some stock. Himself and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and they contribute liberally to the support of that organization. He is a Republican in politics. He conducts both store and farm and is prosperous in his business and happy in his home.
WILLIAM NOBLITT was born in Washington County, Ind., November 1, 1817, and is one of the following family, children of Abraham and Amelia (Vandeveer) Noblitt: Vandeveer; William; Nancy, wife of James Lynch; Cynthia, wife of Benjamin M. Holaday, and John T. The parents wre natives of North Carolina, and were taken in childhood to Kentucky, where they became acquainted, and married in 1814. The father's birth occurred October 2, 1780. Soon after his marriage, he with his wife's people immigrated to Indiana. This was in 1814, a very early period in the history of the State--in fact, the State had not yet been organized or admitted into the Union. They located first in Washington County, and later moved to this township, where the father died in 1840, and the mother in 1861. They were sober, industrious, honest, Christian people, and lie buried in Dauner's Cemetery, in Stampers Creek Township. William lived with his parents until his father's death, obtaining a rudimentary education at the subscription schools. October 2, 1842, he married Mary, daughter of Joshua and Sarah (Beard) Holaday, and to this union the following children have been born: Abraham; James L.; John V.; Nancy J., wife of William Wright; and four that died in infancy. Mrs. Noblitt died February 3, 1860, and January 20, 1861, Mr. Noblitt married Mrs. Nancy J. (Radcliff) Maxedon, who has borne her husband four children, as follows: Martha, David R., Josephine and Louisa. His second wife died May 6, 1881. She, as well as her husband, were Baptists. Mr. Noblitt has lived on his present place fifty-four years; he has 132 acres with fair improvements. He is a stanch Democrat; has served as Trustee and Justice of the Peace. Mrs. Maxedon, second wife, had one child--Mary-- by her former husband; this daughter lives with Mr. Noblitt. Her grandfather's name was Marquis De Lafayette Maxedon.
WILLIAM J. NORTH, a resident of Jackson Township, Orange Co., Ind., is a native of Lee County, Va., and was born April 28, 1838. He is the oldest in a family of eight children of whom John and Susan (Brewster) North were the parents. William J. received a good common school education in his early years and remained at home with his parents working on the farm until he was twenty-two years of age. He was united in marriage to Miss Susan Highnight, of Knox County, Ky., on December 22, 1860. and to them have been born seven children, named Henry C., Nancy E., Martha J., Thomas, Susan C., Isaiah J. and William B. Mr. North is a farmer and stock-raiser and owns 135 acres of fertile and well improved land. Both he and wife are members of the Christian Church near where they live. As a Republican he was elected to the office of Township Trustee in 1882 and re-elected in 1884. He has proven a very efficient and satisfactory officer and public servant. He served his country in the late war, enlisting in the Fifty-third Regiment. On account of disability he was never assigned to any company. He was discharge at Indianapolis, July 5, 1865, by reason of the close of the war.