WILLIAM F. OSBORN, general merchant and manufacturer of the Hindostan oilstone and sandstone, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, October 2, 1834, a son of Thomas J. and Eleanor (Ent) Osborne, who were natives respectively of New York and New Jersey, and of English-German descent. When three years old William F. was taken by his parents to Louisville, Ky., where he was principally raised and educated. From 1851 to 1854 he served an apprenticeship at the hatter's trade in silk, and in 1855 was a delegate to the first silk hat convention held in the United States at Cincinnati. In 1862 he began in business for himself at Louisville, continuing until 1866, when he came to Orange County, Ind., and settled at West Baden Springs, where he remained until 1873. He there engaged in the manufacture of the Hindostan oil and sandstone, which he has ever since continued, and in 1883 shipped 2,439 cases of this article. Mr. Osborn is a Democrat, a Free Mason, an Odd Fellow, and he and wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. To the marriage of Mr. Osborn and Miss Sarah Woods, of Louisville, three children have been born, named: Thomas E., Mary G. and Prather. Mr. Osborn in President of the Fourth Indiana Sunday-school District, composed of Harrison, Crawford and Orange Counties.
BLEWFORD PEYTON was born in Crawford County, Ind., November 25, 1833, the son of William and Rehab (Marshall) Peyton, the father a native of Lincoln Co., KY., and the mother of Orange County, N.C. Martin Peyton, the grandfather, a Virginian, married Rachael Arbuckle in Kentucky, and in 1816 came to Crawford County, Ind., where they raised a large family, William, the father of Blewford, being one. William was raised a farmer; was married in Kentucky, and in 1847 came to this township (Paoli Township), where he lived until his death August 10, 1862, his wife following him May 10, 1863. Their three children were: Lovie, Blewford and Mary R., our subject being the only one now living. He, in youth, became a farmer, and was compelled to make the best of limited school advantages. April 2, 1856, he married Sarah A. E. Scott, who bore him three children: William S., Mary E. and Laura E., and died April 29, 1863. March 26, 1864, he married Mrs. Elizabeth J. Gifford, whose maiden name was Elrod. They have two children: Wesley G. and Everett M. Mrs. Peyton was born in this county December 1, 1830. Mr. Peyton is one of the leading farmers of the county; is liberal in politics; is a Mason, and himself and family are universally respected. He owns a farm of 160 acres.
JOHN PHILLIPS, a farmer whose history is a part of that of Orange County, Ind., for nearly three-quarters of a century, is of Revolutionary descent, his paternal grandfather being killed in that war, and his father, Thomas Phillips, a soldier of Gov. St. Clair, being wounded so severely at St. Clair's defeat as to lose the use of one arm. Thomas married in Pennsylvania, and moved to what is now Orange County, Ind., in 1808, for a number of years resided in a fort. He died in 1834, his widow afterward moving to Cass County, where she died a few years later. The subject of this sketch was born in the fort where his parents lived, August 18, 1812, and was the fourth in a family of eight children. Orange County has always been his home, and farming has always been his occupation. He is the owner of 400 acres of good land (Northeast Township), and is an old-fashioned, true-blue Democrat in politics. He married, June 5, 1834, Melissa R., daughter of John M. and Elizabeth (Younger) Lewis, and eight children have been born to them, as follows: Mary (Mrs. Roach), Thomas L., Susan J. (deceased), Rachel (Mrs. Moody), Elizabeth (deceased), John W., Melinda E. (Mrs. Freed) and Elmira A. (deceased). Mrs. Phillips was born in Kentucky October 19, 1814, and has bravely aided her husband through life, lessening the burden of pioneer hardships and brightening his humble home with an affectionate heart and willing hands.
ELEAZER J. PIERCE, a prominent citizen and farmer, was born in this county, April 27, 1848, and was reared upon a farm, receiving in boyhood only a rudimentary education. For the sketch of his parents see the biography of George H. Pierce. Eleazer remained with his parents until twenty-seven years of age, though upon attaining his majority, he began accumulating property of his own. At the age of fifteen, being a large, strong boy, he enlisted in Company A, Seventeenth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry (mounted) and served honorably and with great credit for a boy for two years and was discharged in August, 1865, as Sergeant, by reason of the close of the war. He was in the following important engagements: Big Shanty, Kenesaw Mountain, Flat Rock, New Hope Church, two days fight near Selma, Ala., and elsewhere. Upon his return he went to school for a time. April 27, 1875, he married Mary J. Mathers. He is a member of Decker Post, G.A.R., and is a leading Republican, being a member of the Republican County Central Committee. He is one of the prominent and progressive men of the county. (Northwest Township)
GEORGE H. PIERCE is a native of this county (Orange County, Ind.) and is the son of George R. and Mahala (Shively) Pierce. The father was a native of Yates County, N.Y., and was born May 6, 1805, and the mother was a native of Spencer County, Ky., born October 17, 1808, and their marriage occurred in 1829. The father was of English and the mother of German descent. The former came to this county in 1819 with several other families in a flat-boat, and after that remained here until his death, March 29, 1879. His children were as follows: Harvey A., born November 15, 1830, died in June, 1859; Clorinda M., born November 4, 1833; Napoleon B., born August 12, 1835; Martha M., born October 20, 1837; George H. (our subject) born September 20, 1839; Susan E, born June 4, 1842; Mahale C., born June 24, 1844, and Eleazer J. (see below). The wife of our subject was Louisa Cox, who has borne her husband a family of nine children. Mr. Pierce has made farming his occupation through life. He began poor, with but little education, and now has a farm of 306 acres and a comfortable home. (Northwest Township) He is one of the substantial farmers of this part of the county.
ABNER POWELL is the sixth of nine children of William and Mary (White) Powell and was born in North Carolina, October 17, 1821. His father was a North Carolinan and his mother a Pennsylvanian and both were of English descent and came to this State in 1831, locating in what in now Orangeville Township, where they lived useful and honorable lives until their respective deaths. Abner was sparingly educated at the old-fashioned schools and was brought up on a farm to know what hard work meant, and remained with his parents until the age of thirty-three. November 12, 1854, he married Ann Jane Speer and to this union seven children were born, six now living: Moses A., Margaret M., Susan J., who became the wife of James Taylor, Naomi, Aaron A. and John T. Mr. Powell has followed farming through life and now owns over 100 acres of mostly improved land (Northwest Township). He also is engaged in the manufacture of shingles. He is a Democrat and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church. Mrs. Powell comes of excellent people, and the sketch of her father's family will be found elsewhere in this volume.
WILLIAM PRUETT is a native of Whitley County, Ky., his birth occurring September 6,1821. He is the seventh of twelve children of William and Sarah (Demoss) Pruett, the parents both being natives of Kentucky and of English descent. They came to this county at the very early date of 1821, locating in what is now Orangeville Township, and here they became prominent and well respected. William, the subject of this sketch, was reared a farmer, and at the age of nineteen, with but little schooling, he began for himself, and February 14, 1839, married Elizabeth Powell, who bore him eight children, as follows: Sarah A., Mary, who married John J. Kirk; Nancy J., who became the wife of Stephen B. Jones; George W., who married Mildred J. Faucett; David, who married Ann Talbot; John F., who was united in marriage with Lizzie Faucett; William T., who married Mary M. Duncan and Maria E., who became the wife of John M. Freeman. February 27, 1863, Mrs. Pruett died, and September 24, 1863 he married Louisa Davis, who bore him two children: Elbert J. and Alonzo M. As a farmer Mr. Pruett has been successful, his present farm consisting of 320 acres of good land (Northwest Township). He and wife have been life-long members of the Methodist Church. He is one of the leading Democrats of his township, and has served in various official capacities with much credit to himself.
JONAH J. REED, a native of Orange County, Ind., was born August 25, 1823, and is the only one living of a large family born to William and Ruth (Glover) Reed. William was born in 1779 in Pennsylvania, a son of David and Rachel Reed, with whom he moved to Kentucky in about 1783, where he married his wife, who was born in the Blue Grass State in 1786. In 1811 he and wife immigrated to Orange County, Ind., which at that time was filled with Indians and wild animals, and building a log-cabin began clearing and farming. In 1812 David Reed and family also came to Orange County, and for a time lived at Maxwell's Fort to escape Indian depredations. The following are the children born to William and Ruth Reed: Miranda, Milton, Elizabeth, Rachel. Mahala, Allan, Robinson, Jonah G., Hannah and Stephen. Jonah G. Reed has never made his home elsewhere but in his native township (Northeast Township). He has served three years as County Commissioner, twelve years as Justice of the Peace, and since 1876 has followed merchandizing at Lancaster. December 26, 1844, he was united in wedlock with Jane, daughter of Basil and Annie (Todd) Tegarden, who was born May 27, 1822, in Orange County, Ind., To them seven children have been born, named William B., born January 19, 1846, died November 13, 1850; Henry A., born January 22, 1849; Sarah J., September 21, 1851, died December 8, 1874; Ruth A., March 14, 1857; Millard C., August 10, 1859; Rachel E., June 27, 1862, and Mary B., January 23, 1867, died November 8, 1873. Mr. Reed is a Republican in politics, and himself and family are among the most highly esteemed people of the township.
W. L. REED, one of the merchants of Orleans, was born in Orange County, Ind., April 17,1840, a son of Jesse and Elizabeth (Wilson) Reed. His paternal grandfather was George Reed, a native of Virginia, who was one of the earliest settlers in Kentucky. His son Jesse was born November 28, 1798, and during his life was a farmer and blacksmith, and married his wife in Bourbon County, Ky., her place of nativity. In 1832 they came to Orange County where his death occurred December 25, 1851, and hers June 1, 1858. W. L. Reed enjoyed but moderate advantages for education, and for six years followed the avocation of his father, that of blacksmithing. He then began clerking for T. B. Walker in the mercantile business at Orleans, and in 1861 went out as sutler in the Twenty-fourth Indiana Regiment where he continued until the close of the war. In 1866 he attended commercial college at Indianapolis, and the same year began his present business. Mr. Reed is now considered one of the most successful and energetic merchants in Orleans. April 17, 1867, he was married to Nancy C. Walker, a native of New Albany, Ind., and by her he is the father of these five children: Thomas L., Fannie L., Jessie W., Sarah R. and Esther.
LEMUEL RICHARDSON is a native of Washington County, Ind., where he was born December 19, 1858, being the son of Daniel and Sallie A. (Elliott) Richardson. The father was born in Washington County, May 11, 1827, and after a life of honor and usefulness died in December, 1882. His occupation was that of farming, to which he reared his son Lemuel, the subject of this sketch. The education of the latter was limited, though by diligence he managed to secure enough for the business of life. He is yet a young man and has a long life before him. October 27, 1881, he married Eliza L., daughter of E. S. and S. B. (Maxwell) Lemon. Mrs. Richardson was born in Washington County August 27, 1860. Her father is a native of the same county, and her mother of Orange County. Mr. Richardson and wife are members of the Christian Church, and he is a Republican and a progressive farmer and citizen. (Orleans Township)
MOSES ROBERTS, of Greenfield Township, came from Henry County, Ky., his place of nativity, to Orange County, Ind. His parents were James and Sarah (Bishop) Roberts, who reared a family of six children, and of which Moses was the third. Mrs. Roberts died in 1847, and they were both members of the Baptist Church. Moses was the oldest son and was born October 24, 1825. He lived with his mother until her death, and during his minority acquired but a limited education. His first marriage was to Miss Lucy E. Zaring, who bore him three children: Nancy A., James B., and John H. Her death occurred December 27, 1863, and he was again married on March 20, 1864, this time to Miss Catharine King. On the fourteenth of March in the following year Mr. Roberts was again a widower by the death of his second wife. On August 14, following, Nancy J. Lowe became his third wife, and to them five children have been born, named Byram L., Maranda E., William B., Anna C., and Dora J., all living. Mr. Roberts is one of the principal farmers in the township, and with his wife is a member of the United Brethren Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a Democrat in politics.
HUGH RODGERS, a farmer, was born in Jackson Township, Orange County, Ind., where he now lives, on October 19, 1832. He is the oldest son of four children born to his parents, who were Nathan and Susannah (Brooks) Rodgers, both natives of North Carolina, whence they came to Indiana in 1829. Hugh made his home with his parents until manhood, and he received but a limited education. His nuptials with Miss Mary Allen were celebrated October 20, 1853, and by her he is the father of these ten children: Deborah, Mary J., Susannah, Sarah, Clorinda, Ellen, John H., William A., Alexander, and an infant that died unnamed. Throughout life Mr. Rodgers has been engaged in farming and his success is testified by his fertile and well improved farm of 320 acres, on which he raises considerable live stock. He is one of the energetic and progressive men in his community, where he is well respected. Politically he is a stanch Democrat, while in religion both he and wife are members of the Christian Church near where they live.
DAVID ROSS was born in Greenfield Township, Orange County, Ind., where he now lives, May 19, 1840. He is the second of six children of whom Joseph and Sarah (Summers) Ross were the parents. The father was a native of Virginia, and came to Floyd County, Ind., when about twelve years of age. From there he moved to Orange and thence to Crawford County, where he now lives. David Ross remained with his parents until his marriage. His education is but an ordinary one, and was received in the common schools of his day. His wife Lovina, is a daughter of William and Susannah (Easter) Apple, and their wedding was solemnized September 13, 1862. Of their ten children only these five are now living: William C., George H., Mary A., Arenso and Alonzo. Mr. Ross was raised a farmer and he has followed that business all his life. He now lives with his family on a farm of 300 acres which he owns and has improved with good and substantial building. In politics he is a Democrat and is one of the foremost men in his community.
DR. SAMUEL RYAN is a native of Floyd County, Ind., and was born May 3, 1829, a son of Wilson and Rebecca (Taylor) Ryan. His father was a native of Kentucky, and was born in 1807, and while a young man, moved to Corydon, Ind. He was a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. Later in life he moved to Missouri, where his death occurred in 1846. Miss Rebecca Taylor was born in Floyd County, in 1811, and when about sixteen was married to Wilson Ryan. Of their three children, only one, Dr. Ryan, is now living. Wilson Ryan was three times married and the father of seven children. Dr. Samuel Ryan was raised in Greenville, Ind., by his father, and in 1846 he went to the Mexican war and remained fourteen months. Being too young to enlist as a soldier, he went as a teamster. On his return from the war he lived in Missouri for a time with his parents, and it was then he began the study of medicine. This he continued for six months, then moved to Harrison County, Ind., and for about four years did a mercantile trade. He continued the study of medicine after this with Dr. John S. Ducate, at Fredericksburg, Ind., and attended lectures in the Eclectic Medical College at Cincinnati, and in the Central College of Physicians and Surgeons at Indianapolis. He has practiced his profession for twenty-six years, most of the time at French Lick Springs, where he has an extensive and lucrative practice. Miss Amelia D. Hancock, of Harrison County, Ind., became his wife in October, 1850. Of their four children, only William E. and Annie are now living. The former is a graduate in medicine, and associated with his father, in the practice at the Springs. Dr. Ryan is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
E. J. SALYARDS of Orleans, Ind., was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1820, a son of Edward and Phoeba (Gibson) Salyards, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Pennsylvania. Edward was what is known as an iron-master in Pittsburgh, whence he came to Cincinnati with his family and stock of hardware in a keel-boat about the year 1816. E. J. Salyards received his education in the early schools around his boyhood home. About the year 1836, he moved to Portsmouth, Ohio, and engaged in the grocery business. From there he went to Maysville, Ky., where he did a marble business from 1844 to 1850, when he moved to New Albany, Ind. and a year later to Orleans. Here he established his present marble business and has since then added the hotel, blacksmithing, merchandizing and furniture store. In 1871 he received a stroke of paralysis and since then his son Edward has conducted the business. He has been twice married, the first time in 1841, to Maria Buffington, a native of Buffington's Island, near Marietta, Ohio. Her death occurred in 1851, after she had borne him three children, these two, Edward M. and Maria J., now living. By his second wife, Rebecca, whom he married in 1852, he is the father of eight children, only five now surviving, Oscar C., Ida, Charles R., Frank M. and Harry G. Mr. Salyards is a member of the Masonic fraternity and belongs to Orleans Lodge No. 153, and is an earnest Republican in politics.
JASPER SEYBOLD, of Greenfield Township, is the third son of Jasper and Nancy (Leonard) Seybold, who were natives respectively of Georgia and North Carolina. They were among the early pioneers of Orange County, where they close of their lives was spent. Jasper Seybold, Jr., was born in the county where he now lives, May 4, 1840. He received a good education in early life and remained with his parents until of age, Leah, a daughter of Mark and Sarah (Allen) Hobson, became his wife March 21, 1861. Their marriage has been blessed with eleven children, these six now living: Mark, Amos, Seth, Eddy, Leon and Joseph. Mr. Seybold is a farmer and owns 120 acres of land, very well improved. His wife is a member of the Christian Church, and he is a Democrat in politics. In the spring of 1870 he was elected to the office of Township Trustee, which position he held for three years. On September 8, 1862, he enlisted in the United States Army under Captain James Hungate, in Company F, Fiftieth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, He served in the Rebellion until June 14, 1865, when he was discharged at Montgomery, Ala., by reason of general order No. 164.
GEORGE SHIRLEY, a prominent citizen of Orangeville Township, is a native of Washington County, this State, where he was born October 5, 1813, being the oldest of eight children born to Henry and Catherine (Wyman) Shirley. His father was a native of Virginia, and his mother of South Carolina, and were both of German descent, and came to this State about the year 1809, and settled in Washington County, and moved to this county about 1814. Our immediate subject remained at home and assisted his parents on the farm until he attained the age of twenty-five years. He received a very limited education, such as was to be obtained in the primitive log schoolhouses of his day. September 13, 1838, his marriage with Elizabeth Wilson was solemnized, and to their union five children have been born, of which these four are now living: William C., who married Mary E. Hicks; Henry W., whose wife was Emma McKnight; Leroy O., whose wife was Emma Campbell; Lizzie, who was united in marriage to Nathan McPherson. Our subjects's occupation has always been farming, and he has been quite successful in that pursuit. He now owns 480 acres of well improved land. He also raises some stock. Mr. and Mrs. Shirley are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are prominent people. His political views are Republican, and he takes a live interest in the political affairs of the community.
A. B. SPEER, one of the county's few remaining old settlers and one of her prominent men, was born in the State of Kentucky June 20, 1808, and is the oldest of eleven children of Moses and Ann (Voris) Speer. His parents were natives of Maryland, and came to this county at the early date of 1820. Ashbury remained with his parents on the farm, securing a limited education, and at the age of nearly twenty began the battle of life for himself. March 2, 1828, he married Margaret Booth, and to this union seven children were born, of whom the following three are now living: Melinda, now the widow of Isaac Fight; Ann J., who became the wife of Abner Powell, and Paulina, who married James Mitchell. Mr. Speer has followed the honorable and independent occupation of farming during his long life, and by honesty, sobriety and industry has a comfortable home and a farm of 200 acres of well improved land (Northwest Township). Mr. Speer is the link which connects the age of flat-boats and sickles with the age of self-binders, telephones and lightning express trains. When he first came here he had to go fifty miles to mill. He is a stanch Democrat and holds a letter of membership in the Baptist Church. He is one of the best citizens.
YOUNG L. STALCUP was born in this county September 30, 1848, being the oldest of seven children of Charles M. and Mary J. (Wright) Stalcup. The children of these parents were: Young L., Benjamin F., Isom G. (deceased), Ruth A., John W., Clara E., (deceased), and Rebecca (deceased). The parents were native of Indiana, and were married about 1856, and were people of high respectability. In August 1861, the father enlisted in Company D, Sixty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and after faithfully following the fortunes of war, finally died in Andersonville Prison, December, 1863, a martyr of the slave-holders' rebellion. There his dust lies buried. His wife yet survives, at the age of about sixty-two years, and is a member of the Regular Baptist Church, and the wife of Henry Stalcup. Our subject lived with his mother until thirteen years of age, and then worked in various places in this State and Illinois, securing what education he could. At the age of twenty he began to teach, which business he followed until him marriage to Miss Charlotte M., daughter of James and Eleanor (Hollowell) Walker, February 18, 1877. These parents have five children: Cora A., James O., Benjamin F., Arlie O., and an infant deceased. Mr. Stalcup is a Republican, and is now Township Trustee (Southeast Township), being elected in the spring of 1884. He owns seventy-two acres of land, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.
JOHN H. STEERS, who has been connected with the business interests of Orleans for the past forty years, is a native of the town and county where he now lives and was born March 12, 1822. His father, John Steers, was of Detroit, Mich., and while a young man located at Jeffersonville, Ind., where he secured a good education. On attaining his majority he came to Orleans and established the first store of the place, and afterward became interested in several other enterprises of the town. His wife was Nancy Parson, of Orange County, N.C., whom he married in 1820. His death occurred in March, 1828, his wife surviving until 1865. John H. Steers, their son, has always been a resident of his native county. His early days were passed on a farm, but later in life engaged in the butcher and grocery business in Orleans, which he continued for thirty-five years. For the past five years he has been engaged in keeping hotel. He has served as Justice of the Peace of his township for twenty years, and has held several minor offices to the town. In politics he is a Republican, and generally takes a lively interest in public affairs. Miss Lottie Wheat became his wife in 1847, and to their union six children were born, John H., William H., Thomas J., Lottie L., Samuel P. and Matilda E. His second wife was Parmelia Ferguson, of Lawrence County, whose death occurred December 3, 1879. By this third wife, Lilia Hendrick, of Washington County, he is father of two children: Edwin M. S. and Nancy P. E.
ABRAHAM C. STILL, M. D., was born in Washington County, Ind., January 2, 1827, son of George Still, of Shelby County, Ky., and grandson of Murphy D. Still, of England, a soldier in the Continental Army during the Revolution. After the war Murphy located in Kentucky, where he was married, and in 1814 came to Washington County, this State. He and wife were parents of nine children, one being George W., who married Anna Hove. These parents had nine children--Abram C. being one. The father died April 29, 1860, but the mother is yet living. Abram C. was reared upon a farm with limited education, but later attended Asbury University. At the age of twenty-one years, he began the study of medicine, and later attended medical school at Indianapolis. In 1856 he graduated in medicine from the University of Louisville. He began practicing at Palmyra, continuing until 1866, when he moved to Campbellsburg and remained there until 1876, when he came to his present location (Paoli Township). He was married to Mrs. Lucinda (Chatain) Kirk, November 18, 1870. She had been twice married previously: first to John H. Warren, by whom she had four children; and second to Stephen R. Kirk, by whom she had two children. Dr. Still had also been twice married previously: first, to Elizabeth E. Johnson, who bore him three children; and second to Angeline Keithley, who bore him one child. Dr. Still has been successful in his difficult profession. He owns a farm of eighty acres, is a Democrat, a Mason, and a leading citizen.
LEROY D. STONE is a native of Clark County, Ky., where he was born March 6, 1827, the fifth of seven children of William and Nancy (Oliver) Stone. The parents were natives of Kentucky, and came to Indiana in 1831, locating first in Jennings County, but two years later coming to this county, where they lived well known and highly respected until their deaths. The father's death occurred August 30, 1840, and the mother's, November 15, 1869. While yet a boy, Leroy learned the cabinet trade at Paoli, under Henry Miller, and in 1855 he engaged in that business in Montgomery County, continuing until 1869, then moving to Kansas, where he engaged in farming for about nine years. He then returned to Montgomery County, and soon afterward to this county, where he yet is (Orangeville Township). January 7, 1856, he married Mahala J. Durham, and eight of their nine children are living: Charles B., Mary, who married Frederick Geiger; Cora L., the wife of William Porter; Kate D., Joseph H., Frank, Albert and Harry. Mr. Stone is a stanch Republican and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
GEORGE H. STOUT, son of Abraham and Lena (Anthony) Stout, who were of German descent and who are yet living in the Keystone State, is a native of Northampton County, Penn., his birth occurring January 24, 1856. He remained at home until a young man, assisting his father, learning blacksmithing and working at his trade, but in 1876 started West to build up a home for himself. He located in Paoli, Ind., where he commenced working at his trade, and where by energy and industry he has built up a good business in the manufacture of buggies, spring and farm wagons, and general blacksmithing. Mr. Stout is one of the thorough-going, self-relying men of Paoli; is a Democrat in politics, and both he and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. In 1880 Miss Mary Dickey became Mrs. George H. Stout and two children are the result of this union, named Lena and Henry.
IRAM STOUT, one of the prominent settlers of Paoli Township, is a native of Orange County, N.C., and was born December 15, 1808. His parents were John and Elizabeth (Moon) Stout, who came to this county about the year 1815, where they ever after lived. John Stout was not an educated man and followed farming all his life. When he came to Indiana he had no property, but succeeded in acquiring a good competence for life. Iram was the oldest of nine children, and his education was limited to the pioneer schools of his day. Most of his life has been spent in farming, and his present farm of 190 acres, indicates abundant success. He engaged in hotel-keeping at Orleans, Ind., for a short time. His first marriage was in the fall of 1831 with Nancy Thomas, who bore him nine children, seven of whom are now living, among them the enterprising business men of Paoli, the Stout Brothers. His second wife was Mrs. Elizabeth J. (Williams) Wolfington, who is a member of the Society of Friends. Mr. Stout was formerly a Whig, but in 1860, with a majority of that party he became a Republican and has remained so ever since.
ROBERT A. STREET, a prominent citizen and native of Orangeville Township, was born November 26, 1846, being the sixth of ten children born to James and Elizabeth (McCracken) Street. His parents were both natives of North Carolina, his father having come to this State about the year 1830. Our subject remained at home until twelve years of age, when he went to live with his brother-in-law, Michael W. Ham, to learn the tanner's trade. Soon after this the Rebellion broke out and Mr. Ham enlisted, leaving our subject to see to the welfare of his family. Mr. Ham died in the service and Robert lived with his sister until he had attained the age of twenty-one years. He received a common school education. October 21, 1869, his marriage with Maria J. Mathers was solemnized, and to their union five children have been born, of whom these four are now living: William M., Pearly A., Bertha M. and Ara, all at home with their parents. His occupation has been principally farming, and he has been quite successful in that pursuit and now owns 140 acres of well-improved land. Mr. and Mrs. Street are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His political views are Republican.
HON. JAMES F. STUCKER was born in Harrison County, Ind., in 1831; son of Rev. David W. and Ann (Lister) Stucker, and is of German lineage. The father of Mr. Stucker was born in Franklin County, Ky., in 1802, and his grandfather in North Carolina in 1773, and the great-grandfather was a Virginian, and was killed by Indians. In 1806 the father of Mr. Stucker came to the Territory that now composes Indiana, and settled in what is now Washington County, formerly Harrison. At an early age he began to preach, at which he continued until his death, which occurred in 1881 at New Albany, Ind. He was one of the pioneer ministers of the Hoosier State. The early life of the subject of this sketch was spent on the farm and at carpentering. In 1861 he enlisted in the United States Army, in Company K, Sixty-third Indiana Volunteers. He was commissioned Captain of his Company in July, 1865,. Mr. Stucker was at the battles of Shiloh, Forts Henry and Donelson, Champion Hills, Raymond, Vicksburg, Atlanta, Savannah, and many others, and was with Sherman to the sea. Capt. Stucker was honorably discharged in 1865. In 1866 he came to Orange County and settled in Paoli, where he has since resided. The same year he purchased a one-half interest in what has since been known as the King & Stucker Mill, and this interest Mr. Stucker has since retained. In 1870 he was elected Sheriff of Orange County, and served one term. In 1878 he was elected to represent the counties of Orange and Crawford in the General Assembly of Indiana, and was re-elected to the same office in 1882. During the first session he introduced in the House twenty-three bills, and thirteen during the second session. The marriage of Capt. Stucker took place in 1870 to Miss Jane Jordan, of Corydon, Ind., who bore him five children, all of which are deceased and as follows: John, Minnie, Katie, James and an infant that died unnamed. Capt. Stucker is an uncompromising Democrat, a member of the Masonic fraternity, and one of the leading and honorable men of southern Indiana.
CAPT. WILLIAM T. SWIFT, a farmer of Jackson Township, was born in Oldham County, Ky., March 20, 1834. He is the third child and oldest son of thirteen children born to John and Eliza A. (Dawkins) Swift, who were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Kentucky. They were married in the latter State, where they have ever since lived, Mr. Swift now representing his county in the State Legislature. William T. Swift received a liberal education in the schools of his native State, and taught several terms both before and after marriage. Besides this he worked at house-carpentering for some time. His marriage with Miss Mary E. Black, of his native county, occurred December 28, 1854, and by her he is the father of three children, born and named as follows: William, November 27, 1856; Alice J., February 12, 1859; Annie J., August 18, 1878. His farm of 180 acres is well-improved and cultivated, and he devotes considerable attention to stock-raising. His wife is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. He enlisted in Company H, Ninety-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, August 20, 1862, and at its organization was elected its Captain. He served his country as a faithful soldier in the war of the Rebellion until its close, and was honorably discharged at Memphis, Tenn., August 10, 1865. Mr. Swift came to Indiana in the fall of 1860, and located in Jackson Township, Orange County, where he has ever since been one of the foremost citizens.