WILLIAM TEAFORD was born in Floyd County, Ind., August 1, 1839. He is the seventh of nine children born to his parents, who were George and Mary (Palmer) Teaford, and both natives of Augusta County, Va. Their settlement in Orange County dates from the fall of 1839. The father died in 1852, and the mother in 1871. William Teaford enjoyed the usual privileges of the common schools of his early life, but his education was not extended beyond them. He remained on the old homestead with his parents until their death, and was raised to a farmer's life. He was joined in matrimony to Sarah E. Apple, on the 1st of November, 1860, and the result of their union is a family of five children: Mary M. (deceased), Sarah E., George T., Eliza A. (deceased), and Cora E. Mr. Teaford owns a farm of 140 acres, on which he reside in happiness with is family (Greenfield Township). They are members of the United Brethren Church, and generally do their share to support that and other laudable enterprises of the community. He is a Democrat in politics, and was for a time Township Trustee, but he resigned that office before his term had expired.
JOSEPH TEGARDEN, a representative of one of the oldest and best families of Orange County, Ind., was here born July 13, 1833. Andrew Tegarden, his father, was born March 15, 1802, in Shelby County, Ky., a son of Basil and Annie (Todd) Tegarden, and selected for a wife Mrs. Miranda (Brooks) Finley. Both he and parents settled in Orange County, Ind., when it was yet fresh from the fashioning hand of the Creator, and experienced all the hardships incident to pioneer life. Joseph Tegarden has always considered his native county his home. After receiving a common school education in youth he enlisted for the late war in Company A, Thirty-eighth Regiment Indiana Infantry, and served until just before Atlanta, when he was honorably discharged by reason of expiration of term of service. At the battle of Perryville he was captured and held prisoner until exchanged, then rejoined his regiment at Murfreesboro and participated in that engagement and Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Mission Ridge and Peach Tree Creek. Mr. Tegarden was a brave soldier and rendered efficient services in his country's cause. He is a Republican in politics, and is a member of the G.A.R. and Methodist Episcopal Church. He was married, September 20, 1866, to Millie, the daughter of William Wallace, who bore him two children--Rosa E. and Margaret A. The mother was born April 2, 1842, and died August 5, 1870. Amanda, daughter of David and Priscilla (Haines) Worrell, became his second wife in 1871, and died in 1882, after bearing these children: Amelia B., Clara E., Mary D., Nora M., Priscilla P., Eliza L. and Maud.
ROBERT TEGARDEN, deceased, was a native of Fayette County, Ky., and was born November 22, 1811. His parents were Basil and Nancy (Todd) Tegarden, who located in Orange County, Ind., in 1813, in that portion now known as Northeast Township. Robert was a farmer by occupation, and by industry and economy succeeded in acquiring a considerable portion of this world's goods, owning 800 acres of land. August 8, 1838, Susan Reed became his wife. She was a daughter of William Reed, and was born November 27, 1813. To Mr. and Mrs. Tegarden six children have been born, only John A., yet living. They were for many years prominent members of the Christian Church; her death occurred February 20, 1880, and his February 22, 1880. Both after a long and active life were laid to rest in the same grave. John A., like his father before him, has chosen farming as his avocation, and is now living on a part of the old homestead, owning 397 acres. He has been twice married; the first time to Eliza E. World, November 7, 1869, who bore him four children, these three now living: Robert D., James E. and William H. Her death was February 16, 1882, and again on August 5, of the same year, he was married, this time to Mattie E. Dilley, of Lawrence County. To them has been born one child named Earl G.
SAMUEL R. TEGARDEN, a native of the county where he yet resides (Orange County, Northeast Township), was born September 2, 1837. John Tegarden, his father, was born in Shelby County, Ky., July 31, 1798, and was a son of Basil and Annie (Todd) Tegarden, who removed with him to Orange County, Ind., in 1816. He here met and married Lucinda Irvine, and after working long enough to get a start at the cooper's trade he moved into a cabin and was living happily when the blow came that deprived him of his wife. In 1845 he married Sophia Kearby, and his life was passed engaged in agricultural pursuits. At his death, October 29, 1865, he left an estate valued at $46,000. Samuel R., like his father, has made farming his general occupation through life. When treason was threatening to overthrow the Union, he was among the first to enlist under the stars and stripes for its preservation. He became a member of Company A, Second Kentucky Regiment, which only being recruited for three months, was discharged at the end of that time. He re-enlisted in the same company and regiment and served thirty-eight months, participating in seventeen battles, among them being Barbarville, Shiloh, Inka, Corinth, Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga and Mission Ridge. After serving out his time he returned to this native county and was appointed a private detective by Gov. Morton, to look after the Knights of the Golden Circle in southern Indiana. September 11, 1866 he married Lydia, daughter of Hiram and Harriet (McCoy) Warren, who he was born in Orange County, January 23, 1847. Their children are: William L, born November 11, 1867; James A., August 31, 1873; Ora D., May 21, 1877; Jessie A., December 8, 1879, and Josie M., September 16, 1882. Mr. Tegarden a member of the County Agricultural Society, of the G.A.R., and as a Republican was a delegate to the State Convention of 1884.
GEORGE W. THOMAS was born January 6, 1847, in Harrison County, Ind., as were also his parents, Richard and Elizabeth (Cayden) Thomas. The grandparents of George W. settled in Indiana before it was admitted a State, and were among the first settlers of the Territory. When eight years old the subject of this sketch moved to Washington County with his mother, and was reared and educated near Hardinsburg. In 1865 he came to Orange County, and the same year wedded Miss Elizabeth Cornwell, daughter of William H. and Elton Cornwell, and by her is the father of four children: Flora E., Emma, Anna and Maggie D. The fall of 1865 Mr. Thomas moved to Missouri, but returned shortly thereafter to Indiana, finally settling in Orange County, where he yet resides. He has farmed, been engaged in mercantile pursuits at Chambersburg, the hardware and furniture business at Paoli, is now operating a store at English, Crawford County, and is the owner of over 200 acres of good land, seven acres being within the town corporation of Paoli. Mr. Thomas is an Odd Fellow, a Free Mason, a Democrat, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church. In 1880 he was elected Treasurer of Orange County, and served one term of two years.
HENRY THOMPSON, a farmer and stock-raiser, of Paoli Township, was born on the farm where he yet lives, and is a son of David and grandson of Enoch Thompson. Enoch was a native of North Carolina, where he married Martha Lindley, and where David was born in 1810. In the fall of 1826, the family settled on Section 7, Paoli Township, Orange Co., Ind. They were induced to come West by their religious antipathy to slavery, belonging to the Society of Friends or Quakers. Of their family of fourteen children, five are now living. David Thompson, like his father before him, chose farming for his avocation through life. His wife was Melinda Wilson, of Washington County, who bore him four children. He was one of the foremost citizens of the county and took an active interest in educational affairs. Of their children, Henry, Deborah, Rachael and Isabel, only the youngest is married, and she to Adophus Braxtan of Paoli. Henry Thompson has never known any home but Orange County. He attended the Quaker meeting-house school near his present home, and afterward took a two years' course in Earlham College at Richmond, Ind. He enlisted as a private, August 11, 1862, and on the 19th of the same month was mustered into the United States service in Company D, Sixty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was engaged in the battles of Richmond, Ky., Collierville, Tenn., Dallas, Ga., the siege of Atlanta, with Sherman to the sea, up through the Carolinas to Washington, participating in the grand review at that place. He was honorably discharged June 14, 1865. Mr. Thompson owns 518 acres of land in the county, a part of which is the old home farm. (Paoli Township)
JONATHAN THOMPSON, familiarly known as "Uncle Jot," is the third of the children of Enoch and Martha (Lindley) Thompson, and was born March 11, 1812, in Orange County, N.C. In 1826, with his parents he located in Paoli Township, this county (Orange County, Ind.), where he has ever since lived. Jonathan received only a common school education, and his youth was passed in assisting his parents on the farm. Like most of the family he has always engaged in farming, and he now owns 331 acres of land, the greater part of which is under cultivation. December 20, 1838, he was united in matrimony to Sarah, daughter of Silas and Mary (Lindley) Dixon. To this marriage nine children have been born, as follows: Mary, Nathan D., Martha, William L., Elma, Charles C., and Walter J. The oldest son Nathan was a soldier in Company D, Sixty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, where he served in the late war until the company was mustered out in June, 1866. He was in the battles of Richmond, Collierville, Dallas, Atlanta, with Sherman to the sea, and thence through the Carolinas to Washington. Mr. Thompson cast his first Presidential vote for Gen. Harrison on the Whig ticket in 1836. Since 1860 he has affiliated with the Republican party. Both he and wife belong to the Society of Friends. They are among Orange County's pioneers, and throughout their long lives have aided in improving the affairs of their community.
THOMAS M. THOMPSON is a native of Chatham County, N.C., born August 24, 1834, being the eldest son of the following six children: Elizabeth, Martha, Mary, Sarah, Thomas M. and John, the family of John B. and Polly (Archey) Thompson. Of these children Martha and Mary are deceased, Elizabeth married Alvin Scott, and Sarah married John Hart. The parents were natives of North Carolina, and immigrated to Orange County about 1845, locating near where subject now lives (Southeast Township). About this time the mother died, and the father moved to Canada, where he likewise died. He was a Baptist and she a Methodist, and both were consistent Christian people. Our subject was reared on a farm, receiving fair education. He married Mrs. Sarah (Roberts) Chavis April 10, 1858, and to this union five children have been born: Noah, Elizabeth, wife of Henry Harris; Clara A. P., Mary C., and Homer (deceased). Mr. Thompson is one of the prominent farmers and stock-raisers of the township. He owns eighty-five acres of land; is a Republican, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Church, and are worthy people.
JOHN TILLERY, deceased, was born in Orange County, Ind., March 10, 1810, the oldest of ten children of Thomas and Parthena (Harper) Tillery. The parents were among the earliest settlers in Orange County, their first home being at the old block-house at French Lick. John Tillery received a good common school education in the schools of his day, and lived with his parents until twenty-three years of age, when he was married, May 30, 1833, to Miss Rebecca Kearby. To their union were born ten children: Julia A., Priscilla, America, Nancy J., Thomas, Richard, Parthena, Alfred, Elizabeth and Martha. He was a member of the Christian Church, as is also his wife, who yet survives him. His death occurred October 22, 1854. Mrs. Tillery is now living with her son Alfred, who was born November 17, 1848. He enlisted in the army September, 1863, in Company A. Sixty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteers, and served as a soldier in the Rebellion until its close, receiving his discharge July 1, 1865, at Indianapolis. Soon after his return home he was married, September 28, 1865, to Miss Catherine N. Baxter, who has borne him a family of four children, named Mary P., John T., Charles W. and Eddie. Farming has been the exclusive occupation of Mr. Tillery, and he now owns 160 acres of land in Jackson Township. His wife, is a member of the Christian Church, and he is a Republican in politics, usually taking a lively interest in public affairs.
AARON TURLEY. This gentleman was born in Orleans Township, Orange County, Indiana, June 19, 1854. He is the son of Benjamin and Parmelia (Wright) Turley, appropriate mention of whom is made in another part of this work (See Jonathan Turley). Aaron Turley was reared on his father's farm, receiving a common school education. He was united in marriage with Miss Dora M. Hardman, May 9, 1878. She was born, June 25, 1858, in Orange County, Ind., and is the daughter of John and Sarah (Reed) Hardman, early settlers of that county. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Turley: Una B. and Ralph H. Mr. Turley owns a well improved farm of 242 acres and raises good stock of all kinds (Marion Township, Lawrence County, Ind.). He has never aspired to any political preferment, but is an unswerving Republican. He is a member of the Christian Church, a man of good morals and habits, and a useful and influential citizen.
JONATHAN TURLEY is a native of this township (Marion Township), born May 2, 1827, son of Benjamin and Parmelia (Wright) Turley. The grandparents came early to Barren County, Ky., and in 1824 to this county (Lawrence Co., Indiana), locating at Palestine. Here the grandfather, Aaron, died. One of his children was Benjamin, the father of Jonathan. The father married Miss Wright of Orange County, Indiana; was a prominent and useful citizen and farmer; was an Old Line Whig and a Republican, and was once Captain of Militia. Ten of his twelve children grew up. Jonathan is a self-made man. His youth was spent on the farm and in attendance at the subscription schools. He selected the occupation of farming and his success is shown by his 430 acres and comfortable home. In 1879 he began the distillation of brandy and some whisky, making from 600 to 1,800 gallons per year. December 28, 1849, he married Julia A. Hall, who was born in this county in 1828. They have four children: Mary F., Sarah J., Robert B. and Eliza A. Mr. Turley is a Republican. The mill is known as Daisy Spring Mill and is doing a good business as it did in early times. Mr. Turley is just commencing to burn lime on an extensive scale. He is an industrious and prosperous man.
JOHN C. VOSS, jeweler, is a native of Perry Township, Lawrence County, Ind., born June 3, 1849, one of two living children in a family of six born to William and Elizabeth (Cook) Voss who were among the early settlers in Lawrence County from Tennessee. John C. Voss received a good common school education in the schools of his native county, and in the fall of 1865 moved to Bloomington, where one year later he began a course in the State University at that place. The spring of 1868 he began working at his trade, that of carpentering, which he had learned in early life with his father, and after this was engaged in clerking in a drug store for some time. He then began for himself in the jewelry business in Paoli, Orange Co., Ind., when he continued for about six months and then returned to Bloomington. In September, 1881, he bought out George N. Rouse, and located in Bedford with a stock of jewelry valued at $2,000 which he has increased to the value of about $4,000. He is now known as one of the progressive and best business men of Bedford. October 5, 1882, he was married to Mary M. Hughes, and to their union one child--Maxwell H.-- was born April 1, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. Voss are members of the Presbyterian Church and Mr. Voss is a member of the Blue Lodge in Masonry and a Republican in politics.
JAMES HARVEY WALKER, from the Progress Examiner, Orleans, Indiana, Thursday, 13 Apr 1905: "In Memory of Father and Grandfather. Elder Jas. H. WALKER, the subject of this sketch, was born April 11, 1827, in Paoli Township, Orange Co., Ind., where Paoli now stands. His father, Robert B. and his mother, Charlotte WALKER, came from Rockingham Co., North Carolina, about the year 1826, residing a short time where Paoli now stands, where James H. was born. They moved in the year 1827 to Southeast Township, Orange County, in Section 13, One South 16 (?) East. His father Robert B. WALKER, was a preacher in the M.E. Church and a school teacher in an early day, having taught one school in Southeast Township near where J.H. FREEMAN now lives. In the year 1828 on Christmas Eve, his father Robert left this county and went down the Ohio River in search of work to earn a meager living for his wife Charlotte and young James H., who was less than two years old. He wrote encouraging letters to his wife all the time during his absence, stating that he would be back in the date agreed upon. He wrote the last letter from Mississippi, on the Yazoo River where he was working on a snag-boat. As that was the last ever heard of him, what became of Grandfather and Great-grandfather, of the writers of this sketch has always been a clouded mystery. James H. grew up under the care of Charlotte, his loving mother and John MOON, whom she afterward married. At the age of 16, he united with the Church of Christ at Valeene, under the preaching of John HOLLOWELL Jr., a son of John HOLLOWELL Sr. who was the first settler in Orange County, settling near Valeene in 1807. Uncle "Harvey" as he was familiarly known remained in fellowship with the Valeene Church until 1863, when he removed his membership to No. 10 schoolhouse and was one of the charter members of the church and was ordained elder at that date. The outgrowth of which is now Oak Spring Church, having served the church as elder, a period of 42 years. During this period his motto was "Onward" and he was the standard bearer of the cause he held so dearly, and were we to say that father and grandfather was the fountain of Oak Spring Church we would not assume more than he justly deserved, and public sentiment ascribes to him. Among the last things that he said was that his work at Oak Srping would insure him a living monument in the minds and hearts of the people. Well might John, the Revalator say while on the isle of Patmos in the Aegean Sea: "Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord." Grandfather has baptized over 200 people, myself being one of the number. He has performed the marriage ceremony for about 200 couples in Orange county. He was married first to Elizabeth HOLLOWELL, daughter of Smithson HOLLOWELL of Washington county. To this union was born one son, who lived to be four years old, the mother dying when the child was bout a year old. His second wife was Elenor HOLLOWELL, sister of Elizabeth. To this union were born 8 children, five boys and three girls. The boys were Samuel L., James L., George B. and Smithson, and one who died in infancy; Samuel L. died at the age of 20, George B. at 35, James and Smithson surviving him. Of the girls there are: Mrs. Martha STALCUP, Mrs. Elizabeth MATTOX and Mrs. Margaret MAXEDON. Two sons, three daughters and the aged mother (may the Lord deal gently with her, and may we all enter in at the gate that leads to life everlasting). May we fight the good fight of faith and say as Paul did, when we come to earth: "I have fought the good fight." He died Mar. 30, 1905 at the age of 77 years, 11 mo., 19 da. and was laid to rest in Oak Spring Cemetery, Mar. 31, amid a host of relatives and friends. "The tissue of Life to be--We weave with colors all our own, --And in the field of Destiny--We reap as we have sown". James L. WALKER (Son.) & Ernest E. WALKER (Grandson.).
JOHN A. WALLACE is the son of William and Louisa (Bridgewater) Wallace, the parents being natives of Fayette County, Ky., the fathers's birth occurring in 1808, and the mother's in 1812. They came to this county at an early day, where they settled. The paternal grandfather, Alexander, was also a prominent early settler and served in the Legislature. He was a man of more than ordinary brain and character. The same is true of his son William and his grandson John A. Both William and his wife died well respected and honored, in 1874, after a useful life. John A. has been all his life a farmer and now has a pleasant home (Orleans Township). In 1862 he enlisted in Company E, Sixty-sixth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. At the disastrous battle of Richmond, Ky., he was captured and held a prisoner of war eight days. He was afterward at Collierville, Atlanta, Dallas, Jonesboro and other engagements of less note, serving bravely through them all. His first wife was Susan, daughter of William and Elizabeth Irwin, who bore him one child--Louella. His second wife, Sarah A. Sappenfield, bore him two children: Estella and John A. Mr. Wallace is one of the county's best farmers. He is a Republican and a member of the Christian Church.
JAMES WARREN, a resident of Orange County for the past fifty years, was born in Wayne County, Ky., May 29, 1828. Reuben Warren, his grandfather, was a Virginian by birth, but moved to Crab Orchard Springs, Ky., when it was a wilderness filled with wild Indians. He there lived in a fort and distinguished himself as an Indian fighter, and finally became owner of what is now the Crab Orchard Springs, a celebrated summer resort. He died at Fulton, Miss., at the ripe old age of ninety years. In 1834 Nathan Warren, father of James, together with his family, moved to Orange County, Ind., where he followed farming until his death, April 20, 1873. James Warren was raised on the farm, secured a fair education from the common schools of his day, and, like his father, has made farming his vocation through life. In 1851, he married Ruth A. Van Cleave, a native of Orange County, who died in 1867, leaving five children, named: Benjamin N., Jasper A., Hiram E., James A. and Mary E. December 24, 1869, he married his second wife, then Martha J., daughter of John and Polly (Walker) Elliott, who were among Orange County's pioneers from Kentucky. Mrs. Warren was here born September 24, 1845, and her four children are: John T., Lettie M., Sarah A. and Harley F. Mr. Warren is a Republican, a member of the Baptist Church, and Mrs. Warren belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WILLIAM T. WELLS, a farmer of Stampers Creek Township, was born in Orleans Township, Orange County, Ind., February 1, 1831. His parents, Abraham and Lucy (True) Wells, were natives of Jessamine County, Ky., whence they came to Indiana in 1829. William T. was one of a family of nine children, and when very young was compelled to work hard. His education was consequently limited, being acquired in primitive schools of his day. At the age of nine years he plowed ten acres in four and a half days, which was a full man's work. Farming has been his life's vocation, and he has made a success of it. He now owns 200 acres of land, and devotes most of his attention to stock-raising. His marriage with Sarah E. True was solemnized, and to this union four children have been born: William A., George B., McC. and John A., now living. Mr. Wells and wife are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and he is a member of the Subordinate Lodge of Odd Fellows at Hardinsburg. He is a zealous Democrat in politics, and usually takes a lively interest in the public affairs of his community, and at one time was prominently talked of as Township Trustee.
JUDGE SAMUEL WIBLE, who is probably the oldest man now living in Orange County, and who is usually known by the title of Judge, was born in Nelson County, Ky., June 14, 1792. In the fall of 1814 he located on the same farm where he now lives, in the eastern part of Stampers Creek Township. He was one of the foremost citizens of the county, and filled the office of Justice of the Peace for eight years. In 1840 he was elected to the office of Probate Judge, and he held this position one term of four years. Polly Rigney, a native of North Carolina, became his wife May 25, 1815. In religion he was always an ardent member of the Baptist Church and belongs to the Sinking Spring Society, which he joined in 1827, and was for over forty years one of the Deacons. His wife, who was a member of the same church, died August 21, 1876. William R. Wible was one of their eight children, and was born January 22, 1821, near where he now lives. In boyhood he attended the "loud" schools of his time, where he received a common school education. Although farming has been his principal occupation, he spent some years in the blacksmith-shop with his father. Besides this he followed threshing about twenty-five years. He married Sarah E. Mitchell, of Washington County, February 3, 1842, and by her is father of ten children, these five now living: Benjamin F., Polly A., Samuel J., John M. and Melvina. Mr. Wible enlisted in Company G, Forty-ninth Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry, where he served in the Rebellion from November, 1861, to December, 1864, and was honorably discharged. He participated in these battles: Siege of Vicksburg, Champion Hills, Big Black, Alexandria, Cumberland Gap and a number of minor engagements. On his return home he continued farming on his 120 acres of good land, where he now lives. Both Mr. and Mrs. Wible are members of the Livonia Baptist church, near where they live. He has been a stanch Democrat all his life, and says he can see no reason to change. He was Justice of the Peace for eight years.
JOHN WILLYARD, a farmer of Greenfield Township, Orange Co., Ind., was born in Forsyth County, N.C., August 29, 1828. His parents were Joseph and Mary (Apple) Willyard, who came to Indiana in 1839, and located in Orange County, where they ever after lived, and were among the prominent citizens. Of their eight children John was the oldest. His education was limited to the primitive schools of early years, and his home was with his parents until his father's death, in 1852. For two years after that he remained on the farm with his mother, and October 27, 1852, he married Miss Elveree Radcliff. Nine children are the fruits of this union, and their names are: George H., Walter W., Mary A., Elizabeth J., Ruhama L., Rufus G., Columbus G., William J. and John E. Mr. Willyard was grieved by the death of his wife May 14, 1879. His second marriage occurred December 2, 1882, with Mrs. Ann E. (Taylor) Critchfield. As a farmer he has been successful, and he owns 188 acres of good Orange County land, and with his wife is a member of the Christian Church. His politics are Democratic. In 1864, he enlisted in the service of his county, in Company F, Ninth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the Rebellion.
WILLIAM WIRES, one of the substantial farmers and enterprising men of Orange County, is a son of Silas Wires, who emigrated from his native State (Pennsylvania) to Madison, Ind., at an early day, and later in life settled in Washington County. William Wires has lived the last fifty-one years of his life in Orange and Washington Counties, and with the exception of a few years while engaged in the drug trade, he has steadily followed farming and stock-dealing. He was born at Madison, Ind., in 1829, moved with his parents to Washington County, and in 1848 married Hannah Fisher, a native of Orange County, and the daughter of John Fisher. To this union have been born a family of children, the following five yet living: William F., Mary E., Margaret E., Lizzie E. and Catharine. Mr. Wires is a Republican in politics, and by hard work has secured 245 acres of good land (Northeast Township).
SHELBY WOLF, one of the oldest and most prominent farmers of the county, was born in Stampers Creek Township, January 8, 1814, son of Henry and Lucy (Grigsby) Wolf. The father was a Virginian, son of John and Elizabeth Wolf, and moved to Kentucky in 1812. Henry and wife came to Stampers Creek in 1813, and lived there until their deaths. They had ten children and were industrious, upright Christian people. Shelby, their son, was reared a farmer, and was given a common education. November 3, 1836, he married Susanna H. Throop, who was born in Virginia, January 17, 1817. Their children were: Susanna H., Rebecca M., Adaline K., Lucy J., Jefferson T., Hester E., Anna E. and Mary E. Mrs. Wolf died February 20, 1863, and June 15, 1871, Mr. Wolf married Elizabeth J. Johnson, who was born in this county September 7, 1829. Mr. Wolf has passed a long life of labor and usefulness, and to-day bears a name as good as gold. By good habits, economy, industry and integrity, he has made a comfortable home and 240 broad acres (Paoli Township). He is a Democrat and a member of the Baptist Church, a and is one of the most substantial and prominent farmers of the county.
JEFFERSON T. WOLFE, merchant at Chambersburg, was born in Stampers Creek Township, September 4, 1844. He is one of five surviving children in a family of seven, born to Shelby and Susannah (Throop) Wolfe, who are appropriately mentioned elsewhere in this work. Jefferson T. was reared in his native county and has always made it his home. His education was all obtained while a youth in the common schools near where he lived. Until 1878 he pursued farming as his avocation, but in that year he engaged in the drug trade at Paoli in company with his brother-in-law, Mr. Solomon Scott. At the end of one year he returned to the farm, remaining there until he sold out in 1880. He then began doing a general merchandise trade at Chambersburg, which he has since continued with reasonable success. He carries a stock valued at about $2,500, consisting of dry good, boots and shoes, hats, caps, queensware, etc. In April, 1883, he was commissioned Postmaster at Chambersburg, and is yet holding that position. December 10, 1868, he was married to Mary A., daughter of Thomas and Elvina (Mayfield) Hunt, who were among the pioneers of Greenfield Township, and where Mrs. Wolfe was born September 27, 1844. The following are their children: Edward S., Laura D., Dessie E., Maggie A., Hester and William J. Politically Mr. Wolfe is a Democrat and religiously both he and wife are of the United Brethren persuasion.
JAMES M. WORRELL, the eldest of a family of eight children born to David and Priscilla (Haines) Worrell, was born May 23, 1839, in Orange County, Ind. David Worrell was born in Kentucky in 1818, and was a son of Robert Worrell, his mother's maiden name being Pickens. Robert Worrell was a soldier of the war with England of 1812, and at an engagement on the River Raisin hid in a tree top from the Indians, and the night being bitterly cold, had his feet so badly frozen that he lost all his toes, and rendered him a cripple through life. This old hero immigrated to Orange County with his family at a very early period, and settled on Lost River, where he and wife died in the year 1830. David Worrell and wife here died December 12, 1882, and June 24, 1871, respectively. James M. Worrell has always resided in his native county, engaged in farming. October 14, 1860, he married Nancy, daughter of John and Catharine (Krutsinger) Freed, and by her is the father of eleven children, named: Catherine, Winfield H., Dora A., Eliza J., Elizabeth E., Mary E., Nannie F., John (deceased), James D., Lydia B. (deceased), and Willie. The mother was born in Orange County in 1840, and is a member of the Christian Church, as is also her husband. He is a Democrat and owns 184 acres of land (Northeast Township).
WILLIAM W. WORRELL. a native of Orange County, Ind., was born January 15, 1821, a son of Samuel and Jane (Walker) Worrell who were born in Kentucky, immigrated to Indiana shortly after it was admitted into the Union, then returned to their native State, and again came to Orange County in 1827, where Samuel Worrell died in 1828. At fifteen years of age William W. began serving a three years' apprenticeship at the tailor's trade under Elbert Jeter, at Orleans, and after working at his trade until about 1850, he accepted a situation as salesman and cutter in a large establishment which he retained twelve years. Responding to the Presidents call for troops in 1862, he became a member of Company E, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service until the close of the war. Mr. Worrell was taken prisoner at Richmond, Ky., but was exchanged in time for him to join Sherman's army on it march to the sea. While in the service he met with the misfortune of almost totally losing his hearing. Since the war, with nine years' exception, while a resident of Illinois, Mr. Worrell has always resided in his native county. In politics he is a Republican and in 1884, as the candidate of his party, he was elected County Recorder. In 1842, Miss Anna Dayhuff, a native of Paoli, Ind., became his wife, and seven of the nine children born to their union are yet living.
AARON WRIGHT was born in what is now known as Orleans Township, Orange Co., Ind., May 3, 1816. His parents were Jonathan and Sarah (Reed) Wright. Jonathan's father was a resident of Virginia. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, fighting for American Independence, and was killed in battle. He left a widow and quite a family of children, who separated, some of them being bound out. Such was the fate of Jonathan, who, when a boy, removed with the man to whom he was bound from Virginia to Kentucky. Here he was reared. He was married there to Miss Sarah Reed, and in the fall of 1815 brought his family to Indiana, and located two miles east of Orleans, Orange County. He served in the war of 1812 against the Indians. He was the father of eleven children. Both he and his wife are now dead. Their lives were spent on a farm, Jonathan devoting part of his time to carpentering. In politics he was an Old Line Whig. During his life he held positions of honor and trust, and both, he and his wife were highly esteemed by all. Aaron Wright was reared on a farm; received a common school education, which was mostly procured by attending subscription schools. At the age of twenty-one years he started in life for himself by engaging in farming, which he has since followed. Like many of our prominent men, he began life a poor boy, with no capital. In 1838 he located where he now live, in Marion Township, Lawrence County, Indiana. He owns 300 acres of fine land, and has aided his children in procuring farms. On November 1, 1838, he married Miss Jane Hall, who was born in Orange County, Ind., June 4, 1817. To them were born eight children: Permelia, Emily, Elijah, Henry C., Green T., Sarah E., Rhoda E. and Elmer E. Elijah, Henry C. and Green T. served in the late Civil war. Elijah went out with the Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Company G, but was transferred to a colored regiment as First Lieutenant, and died while serving his country. Henry C. was also a member of Company G, Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was at Fort Blakeley and participated in a number of other engagements. He served until the war closed. Green T. went out with the One Hundred and Seventeenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving one hundred days. Mr. Wright is one of the best farmers in the county. In politics he is a Republican; prior to the organization of which party he had always been a Whig. He is the Republican candidate for County Commissioner, a postilion he is eminently qualified to fill. He is also a Mason, and has ever taken a great interest in all projects which had for their object the country's good. He took an active part in sustaining the boys in the field during the war, and is one of the leading and influential citizens of the county.
JONATHAN WRIGHT, son of William and Nancy (Keedy) Wright, was born in this county March 31, 1834. The Wrights of this county are descendants of Jonathan Wright, who came from Kentucky in 1816. He served in the war of 1812, and his father was killed in the Revolutionary war. William was born in Kentucky, May 30, 1802, and came with his father, Jonathan, to this county when a boy. October 30, 1823, he married Nancy Keedy, who was born in 1808, a Tennessean, and who died January 13, 1852. He married again, Elizabeth Moody, born in 1810, and died in 1862. His third wife was Mrs. Susan Reynolds, married 1863. William was a member of the Christian Church, and a man of much worth and respectability. He was a pioneer in Indiana, and died November 7, 1870, full of years and honors. He was one of eleven children. Jonathan, our subject, was reared a farmer, and has been a resident of this county all his life. His early advantages were limited, but by industry and self-sacrifice he has a fair education and a comfortable home. March 29, 1860, he married Mary C., daughter of Robert and Lucinda (Owens) Lee, a native of Washington County, born September 8, 1843. Their family are as follows: William A., born November 20, 1861, died January 4, 1882; Charles G., born December 24, 1863; Mary E., born April 20, 1867; Oliver P. M., born March 16, 1869; Sarah E., born July 24, 1872; Clara M., born May 2, 1877; Pearl, born January 6, 1881. The county has no better or more highly respected people than the Wrights. (Orleans Township)
JONATHAN H. WRIGHT was born in Orleans, Orange Co., Ind., December 17, 1842. He was the son of Washington and Martha A. (Griffith) Wright; former a native of Kentucky, latter of New York. They were married in Washington County, Ind., and raised a family of eight children. The father of Washington Wright was named Jonathan, who, in 1815, in the fall of the year, settled in Orange County. Washington Wright taught school and clerked in a country store when a young man. He was an old Line Whig; was a man of ability and very progressive. He died in Orange County, June 17, 1856. His wife still survives him, residing on the old homestead. Jonathan H. Wright passed his boyhood days on the farm; received a common school education. Enlisted in Company G, Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served three years; participated in numerous engagements, the principal one being that of Shiloh. Three brothers--William H., James H. and Elijah M, the two former of whom died--were also in their country's service. After the war Jonathan joined the family in Orange County, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, which he has since followed. In 1881 he purchased the farm upon which he now resided, and moved from Orange County to occupy it. It contains 250 acres (Marion Township, Lawrence County, Ind.), the amount paid therefor having been almost entirely accumulated by himself. On January 17, 1867, he was married to Miss Polly J. Hardman, who was born in Orange County, Ind., April, 1843. To them have been born two children: Harry W. and Orra C. In politics Mr. Wright is a Republican. He is a member of the Christian Church; also of the G.A.R. order. He is well known, highly respected, and takes great interest in educational affairs and public enterprises.
NEWTON WRIGHT, eldest son of William and Nancy (Keedy) Wright, and one of the oldest settlers of this county, was born here August 23, 1824. He passed his early years on this father's farm, where he secured a rudimentary education, and at the age of twenty-two years began for himself. He was industrious and judicious and soon had property ahead and still securing more. He succeeded in amassing a comfortable fortune, much of which he has given to his family, reserving for himself a comfortable home for his declining years (Orleans Township). Early in 1847 he was united in marriage with Margaret, daughter of Jesse and Elizabeth (Wilson) Reed, a native of Kentucky, born September 17, 1824. She died March 20, 1880. Of this marriage there are five living children: william T., born December 5, 1847; James H., born February 12, 1849; John F., born May 21,1852; Nancy E, born September 5, 1855, and Robert, born October 15, 1857. November 25, 1880, h married his second wife, Frances, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Reid, who was born October 12, 1836. Mr. Wright is a Republican and he and wife are members of the Christian Church.
W. H. WRIGHT (deceased), a son of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Kirkham) Wright, was born April 10, 1814, in Harrison County, Ind. His father was a soldier of the war of 1812, and a hero of the battle of Tippecanoe. Both he and wife died in Harrison County, Ind., where they had settled at an early day. W. H. Wright, subject of this sketch, lived with his parents on the home farm until his marriage, in 1835, with Miss Elizabeth Glover, born in Orange County, Ind., April 24, 1817, the daughter of Uriah and Priscilla (Gaddis) Glover. He moved to this county in 1839, and settled on Lost River, where he continued farming until his death, September 16, 1859. He was an honest, unassuming man, honored by many for his sterling qualities of heart and mind. The following is the family born to him and wife: Sarah J., born March 16, 1838, died September 3, 1878; William W., February 20, 1841, died November 25, 1865; Mary G., May 20, 1846, died August 25, 1870; Lyman S., October 23, 1848, died June 6, 1850; Allen R., July 15, 1843, died July 15, 1852, and John M., born in 1855. The last named, together with the mother, are the only two survivors of the family, and they live together on the old homestead, which consists of 164 acres. (Northeast Township)
WILLIAM H. WRIGHT, son of William and Nancy (Keedy) Wright, was born in this county July 14, 1840. His youth was passed like that of all other boys, while the county was comparatively new--at work on the farm in the summer and in attendance at the old subscription schools in the winters when not needed at farm work. Upon reaching maturity he selected the independent life of a farmer as his occupation, and this he has followed until the present. July 8, 1861, he enlisted in Company G, Twenty-eighth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served honorably until July 13, 1864. During this time he was at Shiloh, Port Gibson, Jackson, Champion Hills , Vicksburg, and numerous skirmishes and expeditions, and his health was much impaired in his country's service. Upon his return he was wedded, in 1865, to Mary E., daughter of William and Evaline (Thompson) Carson, a native of Lawrence county, who was born February 20, 1846. They have two children: Evaline and Texie M. The parents are members of the Christian Church, and excellent people. (Orleans Township)