DAVID M. ALSPAUGH, of the legal firm of Alspaugh & Lawler, was born September 11, 1842, in Crawford County, Ind., and is one of three living children in a family of eight born to Solomon and Emaline (Curry) Alspaugh. Both parents were natives of Orange County, Ind., and of German-Irish descent. David M. was raised a farmer's boy, and by hard study passed a creditable examination, and was licensed to teach when seventeen years old. After teaching one term he responded to his county's call, and August 5, 1861, enlisted a private in Company E, First Indiana Cavalry, Twenty-eighth Regiment. For three years he was in active service and besides numerous skirmishes was in the battles of Fredricktown, Round Hill, Helena, Little Rock and Pine Bluff, at the latter place receiving a severe gun-shot wound to the left knee. September 12, 1864, he was discharged, and having helped recruit Company F, for the One Hundred and Forty-fourth, in January 1865, he was commissioned First Lieutenant by Gov. Morton, and as such served in the Shenandoah Valley until he was honorably discharged with his company at the close of the war. On returning he attended the seminary at Paoli eighteen months, then for one year read law with Simpson & Mavity. Graduating from the law department of the State University, he located at Salem early in 1868, where he is recognized as one of the county's best attorneys. He is a stalwart Republican, a Mason, and in 1884 was a delegate to the Chicago Convention that nominated Blaine and Logan. Miss Joanna Brown became his wife July 22, 1869, and these children were born to them: Homer C., Robert R., Ora, Emma (deceased), an infant that died unnamed, Florence, David Paul and Thomas.
JAMES SNOWDEN BREEDEN; "Biography of Civil War Vet James Breeden: Continuing with our biographical sketches of Civil War veterans of this area, we have chosen James S. Breeden. These brief accounts are taken from a booklet printed in 1911 and loaned to the Herald by Howard Simmons. James S. Breeden When the war broke out in April 1861, no one thought it could be possible for it to last a few months at most, and that the boys then only 12 or 13, would be called upon before it was over to lend a hand in suppressing it. Little did we think that before the end more than 2,000,000 men would be enrolled in the Union Army. Approximately 175,000 were to be killed in battle or die of starvation and neglect in prison pens, that over 200,000 would be discharged on account of breaking down. And all this out of a population of 18,000,000, two fifths of which were in rebellion or sympathizing with it. So James S. Breeden, born in Orange County, Sept of 1848, though only 12 years of age when it began, was destined near its close to do all he would to put it down and save the Union Notwithstanding his father had marched away with the 49th, and his brother with the 91st, leaving him with unusual responsibilities for one of his age, when he had grown to be a rugged boy of 16 and Lincoln was calling for 300,000 more men for a year, he enlisted at Indianapolis on March 15, 1865, in Company A, 156th Indiana Infantry, as a private, this being the third time he had tried to enlist. The regiment was sent to Alexandria, Va. to guard the approaches to Washington, and from there to Cumberland, Md. and Baltimore, from where he was sent back to Columbus, Ohio to guard prisoners But history made rapid progress in the closing days of the rebellion. With the surrender of Lee and Johnston, the bottom soon dropped out of the Confederacy and at Indianapolis August 6, 1865, Comrade Breeden was discharged, having done all he could to restore the Union. Returning to Orange County, he resumed his place on the farm and in society. Still only a boy, he was consious of having shown his loyalty and devotion to the flag. In 1868 he was married to Nancie E. Harrison and to them were born nine children, all of whom are living. But the mother passed away April 14, 1908. Comrade Breeden is a faithful member of Bazil B. Decker Post, of which he is a Junior Vice Commander."
(I'm not sure where I got this but believe it was from the Springs Valley Herald. I subscribed to it for a couple of years, about 1967-1968) ********************************** Note from Phyllis Hill: James Snowden Breeden was my grandfather. He and my grandmother, Nancy Ellen (Harrrison) Breeden were the parents of 12 children, 2 of whom died as small children. My mother, Ethel Breeden Clarkson, was the 11th child, born 16 March 1891. She died 21 May 1982 in Tucson, Arizona, age 91. She was the last of her family.
JONAH M. GREEN, miller at Fredricksburg, was born in Orange County, Ind., October 24, 1834, being the third in a family of five children born to Thomas and Anna (Matthew) Green, who were natives of Virginia and Kentucky respectively, he was raised to the milling business, and after his father's death assumed entire charge of the mill, which, in 1880, he had moved to Fredricksburg where it now enjoys an extended patronage. Receiving but limited educational advantages in youth he selected for his life's helpmate Mary Hall, who died a few years after marriage, leaving one daughter -- Catharine A., since deceased. Realizing that it was not best for man to be alone, he married Mary M. Roberts, for his second wife, and six children blessed their union, the following named yet living: Rosetta A., William T., Henry F., Emma E. and Bertie M. Mr. Green served his country faithfully in the late war, enlisting August 8, 1862, in Company B, Sixty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving at the battle of Richmond, Ky., the entire siege of Atlanta, the memorable march to the sea with Sherman, thence up through the Carolinas, and finally to Washington, D. C., where he was honorably discharged in 1865. He is a Republican in politics and a member of the F. & A. M. and G. A. R. fraternities. In addition to carrying on the manufacture of flour Mr. Green also operates a saw and planing-mill.
THOMAS JEFFERSON HARRISON was born to Christopher and Mary Harrison on the 26th Oct 1842 in Martin County, Indiana. There he remained gaining his schooling and working on the farm, until he had reached his majority. When the call came for men to defend the flag he immediately responded, and on August 2, 1862 he enlisted as Corporal in Company D Sixteenth Indiana Regiment, which was assigned to duty in the Thirteenth Corps under General Grant. Very soon the patriotic farmer youth was amid the smoke and roar of battle, skirmishing a good portion of the time. Mr. Harrison had forgotten the large number of them, but of the battles he participated in many of which the following is a partial list. He fought before Vicksburg and at Arkansas Post, also at Champion Hill and Richmond, Kentucky. He participated in the conflict at Chickasaw Bluff and Bayou and did valiant service at Mansfield, Louisiana, where with others he was taken captive and consigned to the prison at Tyler, Texas, learning for thirteen months what were the ins and outs of a war prison. Being exchanged he was at once in the service again, and continued there until the 15 of June 1865, where he was honorably discharged and returned to the quieter pursuits of agriculture in the home place in Indiana. He remained in that place and occupation until 1886 and then gathered his substance together and came west and located. Later he secured quarter section upon which he now lives, six miles northwest from North Powder, (Oregon) and there he has built himself and family a good home. Mr. Harrison has demonstrated in peace as in war that he is able to fight the battles that came before the pilgrims in this world and success has attended his efforts. He is highly respected and esteemed by his fellows as he was brave and intrepid in the conflicts of war.
Mr. Harrison and Miss Mary Ellen, daughter of Joseph and Rhoda Roach of Orange County, Indiana were married on 15 April 1866 and to this worthy couple have been born ten children: Charles A. married to Mary Reynolds; Joseph C. married to Mary Calhoun; Clara E. married to Edward Carnes; Rhoda J. married to Henry Locken; Matilda A. married to Matthew Simonis; George I. married to Josephine Simonis; Christopher married to Margarette Gilkisen; Bennett and Benton (twins); Mary M. married to Frank Bowers.
Mr. Harrison is one of the most highly respected and substanial citizens of the county, and has always been found on the side of good government. He is an ardent advocate of sound principles, being a man of fine capabilities and unswerving integrity. Mr. Harrison died 10th June, 1920 and is buried at North Powder, Oregon.
Note from Phyllis Hill: This was sent to me by Ruth Harrison Hunt, a daughter of George I. and Josephine (Simonis) Harrison. I have copied it just as it is, except for correcting a couple of spelling errors. She said it was copied from a county history. It has some other errors: the Harrison family moved around a good deal and Thomas J. Harrison could have been in either Martin or Orange County. I found the family in Orange County census records until 1880, when they were in Peculiar Twp, Harrison Co, Missouri. Thomas and his family were with them so they probably left Orange Co. about 1876. Thomas J. Harrison was the oldest brother of my grandmother, Nancy Ellen Harrison Breeden, she was born in Lawrence Co. His wife's name was Louisa Ellen Roach.
HENRY HOARD was born June 6, 1838, in the county where he yet resides, and is the youngest son in a family of thirteen children born to William and Catharine (Blair) Hoard, both of whom were natives of Tennessee, where they married in 1812. During the war of that year, Mr. Hoard served under Gen, Jackson and in 1818, he and family immigrated to Orange County, Ind., and a year later to Lawrence County, where he died March 30, 1853. His widow yet survives him at an advanced age, with a fifty years' membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church. Henry Hoard married Miss Melinda Doan, daughter of Harvey and Matilda (Jones) Doan, September 25, 1856, and two children--Catharine, born September 15, 1867, and James R., August 24, 1859--are the result of their union. August 5, 1862, he enlisted in his country's cause in Company F, Sixty-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, was wounded at Fort Anderson by a shell, saw much hard service, and was honorably discharge June 22, 1865. Mr. Hoard is one of the leading farmers of his township and is the owner of a farm containing 155 acres. Mrs. Hoard was born December 20, 1839 in Lawrence County, and is a member of the Baptist Church.
JAMES HOLLOWELL, A native Hoosier, and a well-to-do farmer, was born in Orange County, January 31,1821. His paternal grandfather, Robert Hollowell, was a native of North Carolina, where he married Elizabeth Cox, and in 1810 came with his family to what is now Orange County, ind., and later moved to Washington County, where his wife died in 1842 and he in 1866. Nathan Hollowell, father of James, was born in North Carolina in 1799; came to Orange County, this State, with his parents, where he married Nancy Everett, who was born in the same State as himself in 1795, and in 1815 settled in Washington County. Nathan Hollowell died in Howard County, Ind., in 1865, his widow surviving him only four years. James Hollowell, in 1841, married Celia Thomas, who was a native of Illinois, and who died September 20, 1858, leaving three children: Huldah J., Amos and James S. Mrs. Mary A. Lindley, widow of Jonathan Lindley, and daughter of William P. and Anna (White) Trueblood, became his second wife, February 8, 1860, this lady having been born in this county (Washington) May 17, 1824. Four children have been born to this marriage, as follows: Elwood L., Edmund, John J. and Mary N. Mr. and Mrs. Hollowell are among the well known and highly respected people of the county.
LYNDEN LOWDER was born in Orange County, Ind., December 23, 1816, son of Ralph and Achsa (Hodson) Lowder; is the eldest in a family of seven children and is of Scotch-English extraction. The parents of our subject were of North Carolina nativity, and came to Orange County, Ind., in 1815, and there they resided one year and then came to what is now Lawrence County, and settled in the territory that now composes the Township of Perry, and there the father of Mr. Lowder died in 1875. This was one of the first families that came to this part of the county. When the subject of this mention was in has sixteenth year, while out hunting one autumn day, near where he now lives, came upon, and killed a huge black bear. One shot from the rifle of Mr. Lowder brought the bear down, and when dressed, weighed three hundred and twenty pounds. Mr. Lowder sold one-half of old bruin at 15 cents per pound, and its hide at $6. This was one of the last bears that was killed in Perry Township, as well as one of the largest. The twenty-first year of our subject found him doing life's battle for himself, and for some time he did farm work by the month. His marriage took place in 1840, to Miss Mary H. Short, a native of Lawrence County, Ind. To this union were born nine children and those that are living are as follows: Mary, Martha, Lindsey, James, Nettie J., Sallie and Allen. In 1841 Mr. Lowder settled where he now lives, and owns 200 acres of well improved land. This farm he cleared from the green. He is a stanch supporter of the Republican party and cast his first Presidential ballot for Harrison. Mr. Lowder had two sons in the late war. Mr. and Mrs. Lowder are members of the Christian Church.
SAMUEL MCINTOSH , a native of Kentucky, and one of the old and favorably known men of Posey Township, was brought by his parents to Indiana Territory in about the year 1812, and settled first in what is now Harrison County. Four years later they removed to Crawford County, and from there to near the line between Orange and Washington Counties, in the former, where both his parents, James and Winafred (Potter) McIntosh, afterward died. Samuel McIntosh is the eldest in a family of thirteen children, and was born December 31, 1810. He received his early schooling in the primitive log-cabin of that early day, and until the age of nineteen remained with his parents. June 4, 1829, he wedded Susanna Radcliff, by whom he was the father of fourteen children, of whom the following are yet living: David, John, Jonathan, Joseph, Winafred, Mary and Sarah. Mr. McIntosh has always made farming and stock-raising his occupation, and in this pursuit has been quite successful, now owning 132 acres of well improved land. In politics he is a Republican, and he and wife belong to the regular Baptist Church.
JOSEPH MCKNIGHT, farmer, was born in Shawswick Township, Lawrence Co., Ind., January 18, 1826, the fourth of twelve children born to George and Mary (McGee) McKnight. George McKnight, subject's father, was born January 3, 1796, in North Carolina, and came with his parents to Clark County, this State, arriving here on the day of the battle of Tippecanoe; remained there that winter and then moved to Orange County, afterward moving to Lawrence County, where he died October 14, 1869, having been a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; his wife was a native of Pennsylvania and died April 30, 1873; their marriage occurred June 25, 1818. Joseph, our subject, received but a limited education, and was married March 21, 1850, to Naomi Stipp, who died the following fall, October 8, 1850. September 15, 1852, he married Margaret Johnson. His farm consists of 300 acres, and is known as Grand View. He raises considerable fine stock, such as Berkshire hogs, Belgium and Bulroney horses, short-horn Durham cattle, "Mammoth" stock of jacks, etc. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a Democrat. He is well posted in all public affairs, being a constant reader of the Cincinnati "Enquirer".
HANCE MOORE--One of the successful farmers and substantial young men of Wilson county is Hance Moore of Pleasant Valley township, the subject of this notice. He is an old Kansan, having come to the state with his parents in 1860, and spent his childhood and youth in Franklin county. He was born in Orange county, Indiana, March 22, 1860, and was a son of Solomon and Jane (Wilson) Moore, the youngest of six children. The parents were born in Orange county, Indiana, also, where the father was prominent as a farmer till his removal to Kansas. During the Civil war he was a soldier in Company G, 49th Indiana volunteer infantry, enlisted for three years but discharged for disability the second year of his service. He died in Wilson county in February, 1898, at the age of seventy-six years, while his wife died in 1872. They were among the well known settlers of Franklin county, where the subject of this sketch was reared and liberally educated. Hance Moore came to Wilson county with his father in 1881, when just of age, and they purchased a tract of land together in Pleasant Valley township. He engaged at once in the occupation of his life and success came to him in proportion to the great industry he possessed. He has increased his farm to three hundred acres, well stocked, substantially improved and with fertility unsurpassed on the prairies of Kansas. January 14, 1881, he was married in Neosho county, Kansas, with Anna Wolfington, a daughter of Abram and Elizabeth (Bixler) Wolfington. The Wolfingtons came to Kansas from Orange county, Indiana, where Mrs. Moore was born on the 24th of November, 1862. Their advent to Neosho county dates from the year 1880 but some time later they settled in Wilson county. Mrs. Moore is one of six children and is, herself the mother of three children, as follows: Bernice M., a graduate of the Buffalo high school; Merril H., and Carl E. (**NOTE: This was copied from the History of Wilson Co, Kansas.)
Note: Solomon Moore and family settled in Franklin Co, KS in 1870, not 1860.
MINNIE NOBLITT - A Living Link With the Past, by Catherine Noblitt. A little girl would sit fascinated by the tales told by her Uncle Neddy of the early days of the settlement of Orange County. Edward Moore, Jr.was only nine years old when he came to Indiana with his father, in 1811. Edward Moore, Sr., Minnie Wilson Noblitt's great grandfather, built the first fort in Orange County in the northwestern part of Stampers Creek Township. To this fort, the early settlers came for protection during the time Tecumseh and his brother, called The Prophet waged war on the white settlements throughout the whole Wabash Valley. Although a descendant of several Orange County pioneer families, Minnie was born in Dubois County on Jan. 3, 1880. Her father, Andrew Wilson had moved there after his marriage to Clarissa Morgan. Harrison Morgan, Minnie's grandfather, was postmaster in Dubois. Tom Caplinger would ride out on horseback each day to bring the mail to the postoffice - which was in the Morgan home - and pick up the outgoing mail. Both Andrew Wilson and his father, Billy Wilson, were carpenters and built many homes in Orange and Dubois counties. While living in Dubois, two other children, Harry and Barbara, were born to the Wilsons. When Minnie was nine years old, the whole family moved to Orleans. Andrew bought land on the Old Union Road and built a home there. Here Minnie's sister, Susan - now Mrs. Joseph Hacker of New Albany - was born. The Morgans lived in Orleans in the house which still stands - on the northeast corner of Lincoln and Harding Streets. Minnie attended school at the Webb Schoolhouse. Among her teachers were Oscar Hardman, Lizzie Elrod and Fred McLean. When she was twelve years old, her mother died. Susan, then only two, went to live with her aunt and uncle, Dr. and Mrs. Henry Lingle Waldrip in Orleans. So Minnie became the mother of the family. While still attending school, she did the housework and raised her small brother and sister. From the age of thirteen, she has been a member of the Old Union Church. When she was eighteen, Minnie was married to John Wesley Noblitt, whose parents and grandparents were also early settlers to the Orleans vicinity. To this couple were born five children, Clara - now Mrs. Bert Haworth of Monticello, Indiana - Ralph, Wayne, Wilson and Robert. In 1929, the Noblitts lost their son, Wayne. Minnie, affectionally known to her family as "Grandma Great", has eight grandchildren, thirteen great-grandchildren, and two great-great-grandchildren. For many yers Mr. Noblitt was in partnership with the late John Frost engaged in the business of farming. In 1932 Minnie and John bought the Sears farm west of Orleans. There in 1935, John died after a long illness. Minnie's hobby was her flowergarden where she raised many of the old-fashioned plants; but she was never able to successfully grow "bleeding heart", one of her favorites. Now an invalid after sustaining a broken hip, a bout with tuberculosis, diabetes and failing eyesight, Minnie remains bright and cheerful and recalls several of the early settlers who were still living when she wa a small girl - Amanda Webb, Mrs. James Frost, David Huffstutter, Elizabeth Webb Noblitt, W.L. Reed, George Washington Tegarden, Elwood and Elmira Lindley, Aunt Kippy Stines, Mr. and Mrs. Newton Turley and Mr. and Mrs. John Chenoweth. On January 3, 1970, she celebrated her 90th birthday, a living link with the past.
*Note from Phyllis Hill: This was sent to me by Mrs. Pearl Wilson, dated 15 Jan 1970. Minnie Noblitt died in May 1970 at Orleans.
ISAIAH PHIPPS is a native of Ashe County, N.C., born July 10, 1839, and came with his parents to this county (Lawrence County, Ind.) in 1852, and here was reared and educated. In 1861 he enlisted in Company A, Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and served honorably three yeast. He was at Pittsburg Landing, Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Champion Hills, Vicksburg and other engagements. He married Mary C. Roby in 1861. This lady was born near Bardstown, Ky., in 1842, and bore her husband two children--Benjamin and Eve. Mr. Phipps was again married in 1867 to Mrs. Mary A. Parks, who was born in Madison County, Ky., in 1841, and whose maiden name was Hart. After coming from the army, Mr. Phipps farmed in Orange County till 1879, then came to Juliet and engaged in merchandizing. He is a Republican, is Postmaster and storekeeper, is a Baptist, and owns eight acres of land and property in Juliet (Marion Township, Lawrence County). His eyes are very weak from exposure while serving his country. His parents were Isaiah and Eve (Kennedy) Phipps, natives of North Carolina, and of English and Scotch descent. They were married in their native State, and reared seven sons and seven daughters. The father was a farmer and an honest man.
DAVID L. SHEEKS was born in Marion Township, Lawrence County, Ind., November 22, 1819. His parents were George and Elizabeth (Canotte) Sheeks, the former a native of Rowan County, N.C., and the latter having been born near Hagerstown, Md. They were married in Wayne County, KY., where their parents had settled in a very early day. They both descended from German ancestry, whose arrival in this country dates back to colonial times. George and his wife came to Orange County, Ind., in the spring of 1816, locating near Orleans, in which place they made one crop. On January 9, 1817, they came to Lawrence County, settling on Rock Lick in Marion Township, where the remainder of their days were passed, and where they reared twelve children--six sons and six daughters. By trade Mr. Sheeks was a cabinetmaker, but after locating in this county he engaged in farming, and for his day accumulated considerable property. He died in 1842, his wife living until 1856. David L. was reared on a farm, receiving such education as the schools of those days afforded. At the age of twenty-one years he started in life for himself and without much of this world's goods, less than 100 acres of land, since which time he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, paying considerable attention to stock-raising, and of late years also to saw-milling. By close attention to business, careful management and keen business foresight he has become the largest land-owner and one of the wealthiest citizens in the county, owning about 4,000 acres. Mr. Sheeks has been married three times, and is the father of a large family. His first wife was Miss Sylvania Lewis, a native of this county. She was a daughter of Robert Lewis, who settled in Clarke County, Ind., in 1811. To this union were born eight children: John W., Delbert, Edward, Martha, Isom, Franklin P., Priscilla and an infant unnamed. His second wife was Miss Susan Horsey, a native of Martin County, Ind., and a daughter of James Horsey, who settled in Martin County, Ind,, in 1815. She bore him ten children: Mary, George Canotte, Halbert J., Laura, Homer, David L., Rose, Albert, Isaac Lawrence and Wade. His third wife was Miss Melinda Payne, a native of Martin County, Ind., and a daughter of Riley Payne, an early settler in Lawrence County, who came from South Carolina. She bore him two children: Sallie and Everett. In politics Mr. Sheeks has always been a Democrat. His son, John W., was in Company D, Sixteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, and was its color bearer. He lost his life while serving his country. Mr. Sheeks has twice been elected to the responsible position of County Commissioner, in which office he has proven himself capable and efficient, having saved to the county many dollars by his financial ability. He is now a candidate for that office. During the time of his official life he superintended the building of the County Infirmary and other public improvements.
PROF. E. F. SUTHERLAND, general merchant, is a native of Monroe County, Ind.; born near the village of Harrodsburg, December 28, 1852, is the eldest son living of F. B. and ELIZABETH SUTHERLAND, whose maiden name was SELLERS. The subject of this biography is of English, Irish and Scotch extraction. The father of Mr. Sutherland was born in Ashe County, N. C., March 7, 1821, and his mother in Laurel County, Ky., September 24, 1823. His paternal grandfather was JOSEPH SUTHERLAND, a native of Grayson County, Va.; born 1790. His great-grandfather was ALEXANDER SUTHERLAND, of Scottish nativity, and who came to America prior to the Revolutionary war, in which he was a soldier, and was at the battle of Bunker Hill. The great-great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch was GRAND DUKE of SCOTLAND. In the pioneer days of Indiana the Sutherland family came to Monroe County, and there remained until our subject was about twelve years of age, when he removed to Perry Township, Lawrence County, and the major part of Mr. Sutherland's life has here been spent. His early life was devoted to the service of his father and in attendance at the country school. Mr. Sutherland had so far advanced with his studies by the fall and winter of 1872-73, that he was capable of teaching school, and during this time he taught his first term. During the summer of 1873 he attended the Bedford Male and Female College, and in the spring of 1874 he entered the Northern Indiana Normal School, at Valparaiso. In 1879 he graduated from that institution. Immediately after his graduation he accepted a position in the Southern Indiana Normal School, at Paoli, and in 1880 he became Superintendent of this school and as such, remained for three years and then resigned his position to engage in the mercantile business in Springfield, Ind., in which he still continues. During the winter of 1883-84, however, he superintended the public schools at Orleans, Orange County, Ind. The mercantile business has been a success. He has invested about $3,000 and adopted the cash system. The marriage of Mr. Sutherland took place August 19, 1877, to MISS EMMA PEARSON, a native of Lawrence County, Ind., daughter of WILLIAM L. and AMANDA J. PEARSON. To this union have been born: LOLA M. and EUGENE F. Mr. Sutherland is a stanch Republican, and cast his first Presidential ballot for U. S. Grant. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. and Mrs. Sutherland are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
NOTE: Instead of Springfield, Ind. it is probably supposed to be Springville, Ind.
D. L. THOMPSON is one of the first teachers of Washington County. He is a graduate of the Central Normal School of Lodoga, Ind., having completed both a teacher's and a business course of study. He taught the first school in District No. 1, in 1875-76, and has taught nine terms. He is a native of Washington County, Ind., born February 16, 1852, and is a son of David R. and Mary A. (Huffman) Thompson. He received his early education in the common schools, but in addition to his normal school course attended at Mitchell, Orleans, Campbellsburg and Salem, and is altogether one of the best educated members of his profession in the county. He was married March 22, 1881, to Martha A. Meyers. Politically he is a Republican.
JAMES VANCLEAVE, of Vernon Township, Washington County, Ind., and whose parents were Benjamin and Sarah (Carnes) Vancleave, was born in Kentucky, in the year 1810. When four years old he came with his parents to Indiana, and located in Orange County. His education is limited and corresponds to the advantage of schooling in his early days. He remained at home until reaching his majority, and in 1833 Martha Lynn became his wife. With her he lived in happiness until 1860 when he was grieved by her death. By her he was the father of seven children, these five now living: John H., Sarah E., William B., Margaret A. and David S. In 1861 he married Eliza L. Wible for his second wife, and she has borne him seven children, two of whom are dead. The living children are: James W., Jacob K., Elza P., Thaddeus H. and Alva E. Mr. Vancleave has been engaged during his life in farming and carpentering, and has made a success of both occupations. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church at Livonia, with which he has been identified ever since 1828. Politically he is a Republican, but is liberal in his views. All praiseworthy public enterprises receive his support and endorsement. (from VERNON TOWNSHIP, WASHINGTON COUNTY, INDIANA, PAGE 937 Goodspeed's History of Washington County)
JUDGE FRANCIS WILSON, of the Tenth Judicial Circuit of Indiana, was born in Scott County, Ind., February 19, 1837, second of seven children born to Thomas B. and Ann (Lowry) Wilson, early settlers of Indiana, the former being a tanner, at which trade Francis was brought up. After the age of fifteen years our subject taught school for about five years; during a portion of this time, however, he attended Hanover College. In 1857 he went to Illinois, where for two years he taught school and surveyed; also began the study of law there, borrowing books from Judge Breese. He then taught and studied for a couple of years at Paoli, Orange County, and in 1862 was admitted to practice at the bar of that county, afterward forming a connection with Col. A. M. Black, now of Terre Haute, until 1867, when he located in Bedford, Shawswick Township, forming a partnership with Col. A. C. Voris, and afterward with Hon. Moses F. Dunn, which lasted until he was elected Judge in 1879. The Judge in early life was a Republican, but has been a Democrat since 1872. As an evidence of the estimation in which Judge Wilson is held, it is only necessary to state that the judicial district over which he has been called to preside is not only a large one, but is Republican. October 24, 1861, he married Miss Mary White, daughter of Dr. Cornelius White, of Paoli, and one child has been born to him - Laura, born in July, 1862.
EDWIN WOOD, grocer, was born in Randolph County, N.C., October 31, 1815, son of Zebedee and Hannah (Brower) Wood, natives of North Carolina. In 1818 our subject came with his parents to Lawrence County, Ind., who settled in Marion Township, the father being born in 1791, and dying in 1872, his wife also dying the same year. Our subject remained at home farming till he was twenty-five years of age, when he purchased 160 acres of land, where he remained till he located in the town of Woodville. He was also engaged in contracting on the railroad, starting a store at the same time, and in addition ran a mill. In 1877 he came to Mitchell and opened a store, which he still runs. He has been twice married, first in Lawrence County, February 25, 1841, to Mary E. Sheeks, a native of this county, born November 12, 1824; she died September 7, 1857, leaving six children: Anselm, George Z., John B., Hannah E., Malinda and Thomas J. June 24, 1858, he married Mary L. Brooks, in Orange County, Ind. Mr. Wood was appointed First Lieutenant of the company of this township, when he was twenty-three years of age. He is one of the pioneers of this section, and does a very fair business. He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for fifty years, and is a Republican in politics.
JOSEPH F. FAULKNER, M.D., of Birdseye, Ind., was born in Green County, Ky., March 2, 1834. He was one of eleven children born to William and Anna (Harned) Faulkner. His father was born and raised in Kentucky and his mother in Virginia. They were married in Indiana, whither she had gone to live; soon after they removed to Kentucky and began farm life, where they remained till 1841, when they purchased a farm in Orange County, Ind., and moved there. Here his father died in 1858. The mother remained on the farm till 1880, when she moved to Paoli and died in 1883. Our subject lived with his parents until of age, at which time he began teaching school. His educational opportunities were very limited, he only gettting the benefit of schooling for about one year, owing to the fact that there were no schools near his home. When about grown he procured some books and by his own exertions acquired sufficient education to teach school. He began teaching when about twenty-one years old and continued in that work for about twelve years. As a teacher he was appreciated as one of the most successful of his day. During intervals between terms of school he worked on a farm until 1864, when, owing to a wound received in the army, he was compelled to quit teaching and chose medicine as a profession. He began practicing in 1872, at Schnellville, Ind. and has since been successfully engaged in that profession, practicing over ten years in Schnellville. He then removed to Birdseye, where he has since made his home and built up a good practice. In December, of 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Forty-ninth Illinois Volunteers and was in the battles of Fort Donelson and Shiloh; in the latter battle he was severely wounded in the foot, which has caused him much trouble ever since. He was honorably discharged in August, 1862. Our subject was married October 20, 1863, to Sarah C. Long, the result of this union being seven children, six of whom are living: Emma, Charles, John, William, Anna and Marion Marcus. The Doctor is a Republican and is recognized as one of the leading men in this section of the county. He is a Freemason and a member of the G.A.R. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church.
WILLIAM A. McKINNEY. Was born in Orange county, Indiana, January 6th, 1821. His father, Alexander McKinney, was a native of Virginia, and was born in 1792. He removed with his father, whose name was also Alexander, to Kentucky when he was yet in his boyhood. The family remained in Kentucky until about 1814, when they removed to Indiana, and settled in Washington county. They afterwards moved to Orange county, and in 1831 moved back to Washington county.
In 1853 Alexander McKinney came to Illinois, and settled in Cerro Gordo, Piatt county, where he died in 1874. He married Mary Orchard, who, born in 1793, was raised near Paris, Kentucky. She died at the residence of her son, the subject of this sketch, in December, 1879. There were nine children born to them, four of whom have survived their parents. William A. is the third in the family. He received a limited educated in the common schools, going there for a few months in the winter seasons. He remained at home until his marriage, then commenced farming for himself.
In October, 1851, he came to Illinois, and had entered 80 acres of land in 1849 in Sec. 28, T. 18, 4 E. He rented land for two years, and in 1854 moved to his land, and commenced its improvement. Upon his original eighty acres he has lived up to the present time.
On the twenty-seventh of August, 1847, he was united in marriage to Miss Caroline M. Child, who was born and raised in Washington county, Indiana. By this marriage there have been twelve children born, seven of whom are living, three sons and four daughters. Their names are Elizabeth, Henry, Minerva (wife of Albert Glenn, now of Decatur, Illinois), Annie B., Elmer Ellsworth, Ida D., John E. McKinney. Samuel died at the age of fifteen, Newton at sixteen, Luella F. at twenty-one, Willie at seven, and Lyman in his infancy.
Both Mr. McKinney and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. McKinney was formerly a member of the Presbyterian church, but lately, owing to there being no church organization of that denomination near, he and his family became members of the M. E. church. Politically, he was originally a member of the old-line whig party, and was opposed to slavery as it then existed in this country. When the whig party suffered defeat, and was disbanded, he joined the republican party, and from that time to the present has been regarded as one of its firmest and staunchest supporters.
Upon the temperance question he has always, since attaining manhood, been an advocate of the principles of total abstinence. He regards intemperance as a vice that can only be driven out of the country by the act of prohibition.
In his neighborhood and among the people who have known Mr. McKinney for many years, he is regarded as a plain, honest man."
F. W. NOBLETTS, M. D., is a native of Paoli, Orange Co., Ind., born February 26, 1824; at the age of eighteen years, he began the study of medicine in his native town, Dr. Lee Hazelwood being his preceptor. Educated at Louisville Medical College. Began practice at Bryantville, Lawrence Co., Ind.; there two years; afterward at Trinity Springs, Martin Co., Ind., till he came to Kansas, except during the period that he served in the Mexican War in 1846-47, and in the army during the War of the Rebellion. July 6, 1861, he entered the army as Captain of Company F, Twenty-first Indiana Volunteer Infantry. After three years service he was appointed Assistant Adjutant General of the Second Brigade, First Division Nineteenth Army Corps, and served in that position until June 24, 1865. He was taken prisoner at Brazos City June 23, 1863, and was not released until July 25, 1864; being imprisoned at Tyler, Texas, over a year. One year of his term of service he was in the First Heavy Artillery. In April, 1873, the doctor removed from Indiana to Labette County, Kan., and for six years was a resident of Howard Township, then removed to Coffeyville, served as Justice of the Peace in Howard Township until he came to this city. He is a member of the A., F, & A. M., and is a Notary Public. He was married at Dover Hill, Martin Co., Ind., July 8, 1852, to Sarah M. Rodgers, a native of that county. They have eight children living--Louis A., Lillian, Sarah M., George R, Mollie, Ransom, Harry and Frances. Lost four children, three died in infancy, and one son, James, died at the age of twenty-two years.
JAMES M. CROOKE is a native of Kentucky, where he was born August 12, 1822, son of Olly and Nancy (Cruse) Crooke (elsewhere written). Subject attended the subscription schools in boyhood and made his home with his parents until 1841. When nineteen years of age he began teaching school and continued that occupation for eight years, meeting with flattering success. He received for his services $12 per month. November 5, 1845, he married Maria Ann Barnes, born November 4, 1827, in Orange County, Ind., daughter of Dean and Mahala (Athon) Barnes. January 24, 1861, his wife died after having borne eight children, three of whom are living: Olly F., James M. and John B. Olly is living in Martin County, farming; James is in Mitchell, Ind., in a printing office, and John is a teacher by profession. In 1858 Mr. Crooke came to Daviess County and settled at Odon, and entered into partnership with his brother, Howard, and another gentleman, in a general merchandise store, at which he and his brother continued for several years after their partner had sold out his interest. In 1875 Mr. Crooke moved to California and lived for about three years near the "Golden Gate", keeping hotel; but not liking the country he returned to Odon, in 1878. July 17, 1862, he married Julia M. Calvert, born in Kentucky, April 24, 1833, daughter of George and Sarah Calvert. To their union five children were born, four of whom are living: Charles, who is in partnership with his father; William, clerking in a store in Mitchell; Lizzie V., and Albert E. Mr. Crooke as a merchant is enterprising and possesses rare business qualities. He has a fine stock of goods and commands a large trade. He is the oldest merchant in Odon, a Democrat in politics, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
JEREMIAH W. JACOBS, was born October 10, 1845, in Dubois County, Indiana. He is a son of David M. and Elizabeth (Kellams) Jacobs, both natives of Dubois County, and who afterward moved to Orange County near Paoli. The father was born August 28, 1824, and died November 6, 1857. The mother was born July 8, 1828 and died July 14, 1876. Our subject’s education is limited owing to the undeveloped system of schools at that time. When the war broke out he enlisted in the Thirteenth Indiana Cavalry. He was at Franklin, Tennessee, Murfreesboro opposing Hood’s invasion from Atlanta. Was at Mobile, Alabama, and in several cavalry skirmishes and six regular engagements. He received his discharge in November 1865, with the rest of the regiment. On coming home from the army he engaged in blacksmithing in Orange County, Indiana, continuing in the shop two years, at the end of which he went to Newton Stewart, Indiana, and began a shop of his own. In 1869 he became clerk in Pritchard & Hadle’s dry goods store in the above place with Capt. William Swift. In 1872 he began the peddling business, continuing in it three years. In 1876 he came to Birdseye, Indiana, and resumed his business, and now owns several lots in Birdseye. August 12, 1869, he married Lucinda Brown, who has borne him seven children: Alicia, Viola, John E., Sarah E., Hattie F., Ervin O. and Ethel. Mr. Jacobs is a Mason and a member of the I.O.O.F., Lodge 604, and G.A.R. and a Republican, and has been elected to two Township offices but declined to serve. He was elected Justice of the Peace at Birdseye, and is a member of the Reformed Methodist Church.
CHRISTIAN PETER LEATHERMAN, Manufacturer, Mason, son of John Leatherman, was born July 10, 1814, in Dayton,Ohio. When he was four years old his parents moved to Orange County, Indiana. He was married in 1836, to Miss ElizabethKrutsinger, daughter of Jacob Krutsinger, of Orange County, Ind. He served an apprenticeship at blacksmithing, under a brother, David L., and pursued that business in Orange County, Indiana till 1853; he than moved to Clay County, Ill., and in 1869 to Mason, Effingham Co., Ill., following his trade in the two last places. He is a plow-maker also, and turns out quite a number each year, for which he finds ready sale. Thousands of pounds of iron has he wrought into implements of utility, year after year he has toil, over the furnace and forge. It is the many hard and repeated blows over the anvil that sends the blood rushing through the veins, and makes life long and healthful. Labor and honesty go hand in hand, and Mr. Leatherman is honest and one of the first citizens of our county. Subject has a family as follows: Miss Sarah Cornwell, William Leatherman, a resident of Vandalia; Jacob Leatherman, Miss Mollie Hale, James Leatherman, George Leatherman, Mrs. Alice Goodnight, Harvey Leatherman.
JAMES BOBBETT was born in Orange County, Ind., September 12, 1854, and is a son of John H. and Catherine (Goble) Bobbett, natives of Tennessee and North Carolina respectively. The father of James, the subject, came to Crawford county in 1877. He had five sons, three of whom served in the late civil war. He has been a minister of the Gospel in the Christian Church for forty years, and has preached in many of the counties of Southern Indiana. He is about 73 years of age. James Bobbett was educated in the schools of his native county (Orange) and in Marengo Academy, under Prof. Johnson. He came to Crawford county and taught school for twelve years. In June, 1885, he was elected County superintendent of schools, and in 1886, he was elected county auditor, the County being over 300 Democratic. In 1885 he began preaching the Gospel, and still preaches on Sundays. He was married in June, 1876, to Miss Mattie E. Smith of Crawford county. She died in May, 1884, and he was married again in June, 1885, to Miss Lizzie Gresham, of Harrison Co., a daughter of Elias Gresham. He had four children by his first wife, and one by his last wife. He belongs to Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities.
STALCUP, S. S.
Floyd Co., Indiana -- S. S. Stalcup was born in Valeene, Indiana in 1855 and is a son of John and Martha (Riley) Stalcup. His Grandfather, Samuel Riley, was a native of Virginia and came to this state when a boy. He grew to manhood and became a thorough businessman. He established a bell foundry and later engaged in mercantile business. When the Mexican war broke out he volunteered and served twelve months.
The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools of New Albany, his family having removed to this place when he was but six years old. He worked for a time in the brick business and in anything else that would support him. in 1875 he went into partnership with George Hopkins, of Louisville, Kentucky, in the mercantile business, which he continued for two years.
He was married in 1880 to Miss Ida Samuel of Louisville. They have three children, Carrie, Horace and Samuel S. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of the I.O.O.F., K. of P. and the Republican party.
WEATHERS, John H.
Floyd Co., Indiana -- John H. Weathers, a native of Orange County, Indiana, was born April 28, 1860 and is a son of James and Sarah (Ellis) Weathers, natives, the former of Crawford and the latter of Floyd County.
Richard Weathers, the great-grandfather of John H., was born in North Carolina and settled very early in Indiana, among the first settlers of his county. He served in the Indian wars of the early period and was one of that hardy race of pioneers who fought to clear the country of the savages and make it a pleasant home for the whites. The family is of Scotch descent. James M. Weathers, the father of John H. enlisted in the One Hundred and Forty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry and went to the field with his regiment, remaining in active service until the close of the war. He is a carpenter by trade.
The subject was educated at Marengo Academy and at New Albany. He first engaged in teaching school, then studied law. When admitted to the bar he entered the office of Peckinpaugh & Zenor in 1883. When Judge Zenor was elected judge Mr. Weathers was admitted to the partnership with Major N. R. Peckinpaugh in 1885.
He married Miss Nattie Holcroft, of Meade County, Kentucky, in November 1888. He belongs to Masonic and Odd Fellows fraternities, is a senior warden in the Masonic Lodge and secretary in the Odd Fellows Lodge. He takes an active part in politics and is the chairman of the Republican central committee of Crawford County.
WILLIAM LEONARD, of Leeds & Leonard, merchants, was born at Orleans, Orange Co., Ind., in 1836. Reared on a farm, and also taught school for some years. He enlisted at Paola, Ind., in August, 1861, in Company I, Thirty-eighth Indiana Infantry. Was appointed Second Lieutenant, a year later promoted to First Lieutenant, and in 1863 to Captain, serving principally in the United States Signal Corps, on the staffs of Generals Nelson, Crittenden, and Howard. He was mustered out in September, 1864, after which he was engaged in mercantile business at Orleans, Ind., for four years, and during this period was also Deputy Collector of United States Internal Revenue. He came to Kansas in 1869, and located in Shawnee County, where he followed agricultural pursuits for three years. In 1872, he moved to Franklin County, and has been interested in farming pursuits since. He has about 170 acres of land located within half a mile of this place, on which he resides. In January, 1882, he purchased an interest in the mercantile establishment of H. W. Leeds, at Princeton. The firm do a large business throughout the surrounding country, and carry a fine stock of about six to eight thousand dollars to supply the demands of their trade. They have two stores, groceries and dry goods. Mr. Leonard was elected a Commissioner of Franklin County in 1877, and served one term, and is commander of G. A. R. Post, Princeton, No. 111.