Agan Family Cemetery
Transcribed by Linda Lockhart
Located in the south east part of the township, near the center of the section, on the old Agan farm. The Agan and Lockhart families were among the early settlers of the township. Eleazor Lockhart and Susannah Agan came with their parents from North Carolina while comparatively young and were married in 1827. Eleazor was a pioneer school teacher. He died in 1838 leaving 5 children. Of James Agan and his wife, Catherine Bingaman Agan, a sketch in Orange Co. History states: "They were excellent people, members of the Methodist Church, and both lie buried on the old homestead in Section 20." There are 19 graves marked by rough stones without inscriptions. Mrs. Herbert Key, who lives on the farm copied inscriptions in 1945.
The following is a transcript of data recorded by the Lost River Chapter of the DAR in the 1940's and remain their property. This page may be freely copied for your personal use but may not be reproduced in any public media without permission
Copyright © The Lost River Chapter of the DAR and Orange
AGAN, JAMES (no stone found)
AGAN, CATHERINE w. of James 28 Jan.1808 17 Oct.1859
AGAN, LEWIS E. son of J. & E.E. 20 Oct.1859 19 May 1865
(son of John and Electa Highland Agan)
AGAN, BENJAMIN son of J. & C. 28 Sept.1861 17 yrs.8mo.29days
LOCKHART, ELEAZOR (no stone found) d. 1838
LOCKHART, SUSANNAH w. of Eleazor (no stone found)
Three stones with crudely cut initials only:
N.L. d. 28 Sept.1842 (probably Nancy Lockhart, daughter of Eleazor and Susannah)
H.L. (possibly Hannah Lockhart, wife of William and mother of Eleazor)
- The date of death for Eleazor Lockhart is incorrect. Susannah married Alexander Lockhart in 1837.
- Eleazor Lockhart's parents were William Lockhart and Hannah Maxwell.
- Also buried in this cemetery are William Agan (d. abt 1825) and his wife Mary Conley Agan.