Burial Place of Joshua Nichols, Revolutionary Soldier

From the Cemetery Records compiled by the Lost River Chapter DAR


Orangeville Township Section 20, T2N R1W. Abandoned.

Located one and one half miles northeast of Ames Chapel, in a small grove of trees, are perhaps a dozen old graves, some of which have markers of field stone. This is on a farm long known as the Adam Miller place. It was later owned by Silas Halbert, and is sometimes spoken of as the old Halbert place. In June 1939, a government marker was placed at the unmarked grave of Joshua Nichols, by descendants and with appropriate ceremonies by the Lost River Chapter DAR. Joshua Nichols was born in Rowan Co., North Carolina on July 10, 1758. His father was a Revolutionary War Captain, and Joshua was a member of his company. Joshua died on Sept. 7/1841, and was buried with military honors. An account of this appeared in a Paoli Newspaper of the period. He took part in several battles and was wounded in one foot.

The following is a transcript of data recorded by the Lost River Chapter of the DAR in the 1940's and remains their property.  This page may be freely copied for your personal use but may not be reproduced in any public media without permission

Copyright The Lost River Chapter of the DAR and Orange County INGenWeb