Sutherlin Family Cemetery
Transcribed by Mark S. Sutherlin
Orleans Township Section 4 T2N R1E
Sutherlin Family Cemetery is an abandoned cemetery with no remaining headstones. It was located in NE 1/4 of S4 T2N R1E, 2-1/2 miles East of Orleans, and North of Lost River, on a knoll, above an old road. Near this road once stood a tavern kept by Philip Sutherlin. It is in Orleans Twp Sec. 4-T.2N.-H.1E and is abandoned.
Located in the north east quarter of the section, two and one half miles east of Orleans, and north of Lost River, on a knoll, above an old road. Near this road once stood a tavern kept by Philip Sutherlin, who, with his eldest son, Charles, had come from Stokes Co., North Carolina, in 1808. Philip Sutherlin was a soldier of the War of 1812. His wife, Mary Vest Sutherlin, died in Missouri.
The first burial in the cemetery is said to have been that of a stranger, name unknown, who rode up to the tavern during a terrible cholera epidemic, and died before he was able to dismount. This record was supplied by Mrs. Oliver Marks, Salem, Ind., a descendant of Philip Sutherlin.
HINKLE, Sally d. Apr. 4/1863, age 65y (dau. of Philip Sutherlin)
NEWGENT, Thaddeus, (No marker)
SUTHERLIN, Philip Sr. (marker has name only. he was born in 1756/7 and lived
to be 93 years old)
SUTHERLIN, Louise, 1833-1934
SUTHERLIN, Andrew Jackson May 4/1841-May 10/1843
SUTHERLIN, Charles Sr. Nov. 8/1795-Mar. 15/1863
SUTHERLIN, Mary Wood. Sept. 4/1810-Oct. 21/1845 (first wife of Charles Sr.)
SUTHERLIN, Nancy 1834-Apr.25/1850, age 16y