ORANGE CO., INDIANA
Transcribed by Linda Lockhart
7 August 1819
The Presbytery, composed of Brothers Isom Gwinand Kinsey Veatch, met at the home of RobertSands in Crawford County, Indiana. After being constituted, 21 chartered members took their seats and gave themselves the name od Providence. The church appointed Brother Robert Sands to write a letter to the Blue River Association and Brother Samuel McMahan, Brother Robert Yates and Brother Robert Sands to bear the letter and sue for admittance therein. The church agreed to call Brother Isom Gwin as pastor and sent a request to El Bethel to give him a week for that purpose and sent Brother John Lee, Sr to bear the request.
Families among the early members:
Kinsey Veatch was minister of the Providence Church for 22 years and 3 months, until his death on the 10th of December 1854.
2 October 1819
The Church chose Brother Gwin as moderator andtook into consideration the business of choosing deacons. The church agreed to commune three times a year.
6 April 1820
The Church chose Brother Robert Sands as Deacon and Brother Walter Alexander as their writing clerk. In August of the same year Brothers John Davis and Cornelius Newkirk were messengers to the Association. In September they agreed to grant Brother John Davis liberty to exercise his gift in the bounds of the Church and in the bounds of the Sister Churches with his laboring brethern.
Providence Church called on her trustees to make a report on what progress they had made in building a meeting house. They reported that they have the house built to the square by choosing the male members in four classes and they agreed to go on in the same until they have the house covered in. This first building was built of logs and was also used as a school house. Amos Critchfield taught school here in 1830.
The Church dispensed with the name of United Baptist and adopted the name of Regular Baptist. In May 1837 they answered a request from a group brethern near French Lick for aid in constituting a church and agreed to send Brothers Kinsey Veatch, T.S. Wineteer, F. Pittman, D. Williams and A. McDonald to meet with them on the second Sunday in June at the home of Brother Nathan Pinnick.
The Church met in regular business session and agreed to build a new church on land donated by Brother George Pittman. The house to be built in cabin form, 24 feet by 20 feet with a good floor and two comfortable wooden chimneys. The Church directed her trustees to procure a deed for said land. In November of that year they recinded their order on form and size and agreed to build the body of the house of hewed logs 25 X 22 and cover it with joint shingles and floor it with plank. They disposed of the house already started for $10.40 and divided the money between the men who had worked on the building.
The Church directed her trustees to donate a certain parcel of land to the Southeast district for a school and to give them a deed for the same. Kinsey Veatch was moderator and Amos Critchfield was clerk.
The Church, in their regular letter, ask for the Association. In July 1849 the Church received in fellowship, Brother Samuel and Sister Jane McMahan. This would be the father of Will McMahan and the one who lies buried in the spot that was the pulpit of the old church.
The Church adopted the articles of faith of the Blue River Association as their Articles of Faith.
Elder Benjamin Keath and other ordained authority participated in the ordination of Brother John Grimes and Brother Abraham Cook as Deacons and Brother Samuel McMahan to the work of the ministry. Elder McMahan was called as pastor on the 3rd Saturday in October of 1870 and served in that capacity until his death in November 1890. He preached his last sermon in April of 1890 just 7 months before his death.
Another Samuel McMahan was a member as early as 1822. This Samuel lies buried near Nolan Barnett in a small cemetery. There was also a James McMahan who was an early member. Elder Samuel McMahan was born May 2nd 1818 and died November 3rd 1890, age 72 years, 5 months and 11 days.
The Church at this time decided to build a new frame meeting house, 24 X 48 feet. A small boy, James Pruett, was killed here by falling lumber which was being delivered for the new building. He was a pupil of the school which was taught at that time either in the church or in a building erected on the lot donated by the church. The teacher then was Margaret Murray. In October of 1853 the trustees were ordered to dispose of the old log building to the best advantage and the body adjourned in peace with Elder Kinsey Veatch as moderator and Amos Critchfield as clerk. In February of the following year the trustees were directed to use the money received from Charles Sands, for the old building, for expenses on the new meeting house.
Requested the help of the following sister churches, Rock Springs, Unity, Stamperscreek, French Lick, Hillsborough, El Bethel and Sinking Springs, for help in ordaining Brother Charles Sands.
Elizabeth Newkirk and Nancy Bennett were received into the fellowship of the church. In December 1928, after a membership of 72 years and 3 months, Aunt Nance, as she was known to everyone, was brought to the church for final rites. In the handwriting of our departed Brother George M. White is this note, "A beauiful winter day. Funeral services conducted by Elder Willaim C. Hancock for Sister Nancy Bennett, a member of this church for 72 years and 3 months."
18 October 1872
Brother Lentsford Lomax, Sisters Eluria Lomax, Harriett McDonald, Elizabeth Lambdin and Rachel Willyard ask for letters of dismission in order to constitute a church of the dame faith and order at Uniontown, Orange County, Indiana. Their request was granted.
17 October 1874
A letter was received through the hand of Brother G. W. Dourgherty and Brother George Robbins from a group of Brethern at New Prospect, near French Lick, requesting their ordained authority to meet with a council of sister churches on the fifth Saturday in October of 1874, to examine their covenant, articles of faith and rules of Decorum and if found orthodox to constitute them into a Regular Baptist Church of Jesus Christ.
20 July 1878
In regular session, called for the reference of last meeting which consisted of a committee appointed to look out a location for a church house at this or some nearby place. The committee reported that they had two sites in view, a one and one half acre plot just west of the grave yard fence which would cost $25.00 and the other 250 yards southwest of the church house, a two acre plot, to cost nothing. The size of the house to be 32 X 46 with 14 feet between the floor and the ceiling with a probable cost of $700.00. The Church being satisfied with the size and probable cost agrees to build on one or the other of the sites, if the proper subscription can be made and appointed as a committee to solicit subscription for the purpose of building, as follows: John H. Buchanan, William Gilliatt, John Bird, George Bennett, James King, T.B. McDonald, John Grimes and Jesse A. Wells. Sam MCmahan, Moderator and Jesse A. Wells, Clerk.
The committee on soliciting funds reported that they thought they could do more if they had more time. They deferred choosing the site of building until next meeting.
They made choice of the lot just west of the cemetery to cost $15.00. In October 1878 the committee reported that they could not get a good title for said lot. The committee inquired into a plot of land belonging to Sam Grimes and consisting of 6 or 7 acres. The cost of land to be $25.00. The Church then instructed her trustees to procure a good title and deed for said land, the money to be paid for same, on or before December 25, 1878. The building committee consist of the following: William Gilliatt, John H. Buchanan and James King. At this time the committee had $400.00 or more made up.
4 October 1878
The committee proceeded to sell at public auction the framing of the church, size 30 X 45 with 14 foot between the floor and ceiling, to James Riley for $149.90. The stone work was sold to Silas Condra, he being the lowest responsible bidder at $28.00 for nicely cut pillars on this November 16, 1878.
The Church took into consideration the propriety of ordering her trustees to sell the old house, seats and stove. However at the regular business in May of the same year they decided not to sell the building. At this time John L. Megenity presented to the church a very nice and large size Bible in behalf of his wife, Sister M.A. Magenity. The Church tendered a vote of thanks to Mr. Magenity and Sister Megenity after which Elder H. Oliphant delivered a very able discourse on the doctrine of how we come to Christ.
The clerk, Jesse A. Wells, notes that a complete record of cost of the new building failed to reach him so was not recorded. Suppose cost was $750.00. The Church at this time presented Elder Gammon the old Bible which belonged to the church.
Agreed to fence the cemetery with six strands of barb wire, one iron gate 12 feet wide and the posts to be 12 feet apart. On motion and second at this time they agreed to sell the old house and the plank fence around the grave yard. In August of 1886 they called for the next Assoxiation to be held at Providence. The committee on selling the house and fence reported that they had rounded the graves, sold the plank fence for $15.25 and the house for $26.25. The following agreed to furnish the number of hewn mulberry posts set oppisite their names: Douglas Trinkle- 15; Samuel Grimes-20; Jesse Morgan-15; James Livington-10; John King-10; George King-10; George King, Sr-10; James A. Melton-6; Mint Brown-10; Wilson Gregory-20; John A. Brown-10; George B. King-5; John T. Brown-10; Jesse R. Melton-10; Burton Brown-10; Sam Dillard-15; Henry Ritz-6 large corner post; Frank Megenity-10; Ransome Lambdin-10 large braces.
20 August 1887
Brothers Sam Critchfield, J.R. Stone and Woodson Noblitt were elected as Trustees. Later trustees were Brothers Lou Bennett, Will Cindra and John Will Magenity.
16 October 1888
The committee reported graves rounded, building and fence sold- 43.05; wire and steeples bought-$26.16; gate bought $10.35. Total paid out $36.51. Balance on hand $6.54. The Church dismissed the committee and agrees to use the $6.54 on the painting of the house.
After Devine services by Elder H. Radcliff an obituary of Elder Samuel McMahan was read and recorded. Elder William H. Gammon was elected as pastor for the following year. The Church agrees to meet on the 2nd Saturday and Sunday following. Elder Gammon's home church was Friendship Church of Little Zion Association.
The Church by motion and second elected the following six messengers to bear the correspondence to association: Brothers Sam Critchfield, Douglas Trinkle, Woodson Noblitt, Jesse A. Wells and John R. Stone with Thomas B. McDonald, alternate. On motion contributed $2.00 for printing minutes and $2.00 to bear correspondence.
Contributed 60c to Friend Ford as part payment for his dutes as sexton and invited Brother Melton to come forward and exercise his gift.
A committee of five appointed to look after and arrange matters in general for Association. In December, same year, Elder Mayfield was elected pastor and Sam Critchfield, clerk.
15 October 1898
Appointed Brother T. Belcher to solicit aid on the balance due on the bell and belfray and report same at next meeting. On December 17, 1898 Elder Gammon was called as pastor and J.A. Wells, clerk. In December 1898 Sister Mary Ford was elected janitor for the following year.
10 June 1899
Call for new business which consisted of the reading of a letter from Rock Springs Church requesting the church to attend the ordination of Brother James V. Wolfe on the first Saturday in July 1899.
12 May 1900
Brother Douglas Trinkle was ordained as deacon, among the ordained Authority were Elder James Wolf, Rock Springs; Elder Mayfield, Youngs Creek; and Elder Joshua Cabbage of Little Zion Association. Elder G.F. Mayfield was moderator of the Presbytery and J.R. Stone, clerk. Elder Mayfield delivered the Charge. Elder James Wolfe, G.T. Mayfield, W.C. Arnold and W.H. Gammon were mentioned as having contributed services here in the year 1900.