William T. Swift
CAPT. WILLIAM T. SWIFT
Born in Oldham County, Ky., March 20, 1834, William T. Swift was the third child and oldest son of thirteen children born to John and Eliza A. (Dawkins) Swift. His parents were natives respectively of Pennsylvania and Kentucky and were married in the latter State. John Swift represented his county in the State Legislature. William T. Swift received a liberal education in the schools of his native State, and taught several terms both before and after marriage. Besides this he worked at house-carpentering for some time.
His marriage with Miss Mary E. Black, of his native county, occurred December 28, 1854, and by her he is the father of three children, born and named as follows: William T., Jr. November 27, 1856; Alice J., February 12, 1859; Annie J., August 18, 1878. He moved to Jackson Twp. in Orange County, Ind. in the fall of 1860. His farm of 180 acres near Newton Stewart, was well-improved and cultivated, and he devoted considerable attention to stock-raising, particularly harness racers. He also operated a general store in Newton Stewart and was one of the organizers of a mill in Elon, then known as Centerville. His wife was a member of the Missionary Baptist Church.
He had strong unionist sentiments and raised a body of volunteers in 1862 which became Company H, Ninety-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry at its enlistment. At its organization he was elected its Captain. He served his country faithfully and with distinction in the battles of Raymond, Vicksburg, Jackson , Brices Cross Roads, and Tupelo, Miss. As a part of McMillen’s Brigade, the regiment also distinguished itself by attacking and capturing the salient point of the rebel line at the battle of Nashville, Tenn. He was honorably discharged at Memphis, Tenn., August 10, 1865.
He is buried in the Swift Cemetery, which was located on his farm and has now been relocated to the Patoka Memorial Cemetery.