Parke County, Indiana
Biographies Births Cemeteries Census Churches Deaths Families
History Home Land Links Lookups Maps Marriages
Miscellaneous Military Neighbors Newspapers Obituaries Photos Queries
Schools S O S Tombstones Townships Vitals What's New Wills & Probates
Copyright © 2016   James D. VanDerMark   - All Rights Reserved  -  Remember to quote your source. 

Parke County Indiana Biographies  -  N

Please send any additions or corrections to James D. VanDerMark


 

Joseph Shannon NAVE.  There has probably not been a session of Circuit Court in Fountain County during the last 40 years at which Joseph Shannon Nave has not appeared as counselor for some the cases tried.  He is at once one of the oldest as well as the ablest lawyers of the Fountain County bar, and he is one of the dignified representatives of the profession in the state. His people have been identified with this county since pioneer days.  Mr. Nave was born on a farm in Shawnee Township of Fountain County September 17, 1851 a son of John and Hannah J. Shannon Nave.  His mother was of Irish stock, and a daughter of Thomas Shannon who bore arms in the War of 1812 and granddaughter of Samuel Shannon who helped the colonies establish independence in the Revolution.  Both served as officers in those wars.  John Nave was born in Butler County Ohio in 1826 son of John and Margaret Umbarger Nave, both of whom were natives of VA.  The Nave family is of Swiss ancestry.  John Nave, Sr. brought his family to Fountain County in 1828 and acquired a tract of the un cleared Government land then so plentiful in this state.  On that farm John Nave, Jr. was reared and he lived the life of a farmer until 1867, when he removed to Attica and handled his property from that point.  He died April 17, 1872.  He and his wife were married in 1850 in Virginia where she was born 1834. She died at Attica January 17, 1910. There were two sons: Joseph Shannon and Raymond M. The latter who was born August 17, 1853 graduated from Indiana University with the class of 1875 and is now manager of a large amount of property in Fountain County, his home being at Attica.  He married 1881 Minnie Ray a native of Attica and they have two children: Robert and John Kirk Nave.  Joseph Shannon Nave lived on the old farm until 1867 and while there attended rural schools.  He finished his literary education in Indiana University graduating in the scientific course 1872.  Later he attended law school University of Michigan and was admitted to practice 1874.  From that year he has been identified with the Bar of Fountain County and besides carrying heavy burdens as a lawyer has been active in public affairs and has directed some large business interests.  In politics he has always been democrat.  From 1879-1888 he represented Fountain County in the state legislature and made a most creditable record in that body, being member of several important committees.  Mr. Nave has large property interests in Fountain County and Wichita, Kansas.  He is a director of the Farmers & Merchant State Bank, Attica. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic Order and is a member of the Presbyterian Church. September 30, 1879 Mr. Nave married Jennie Isabel RICE, who was born at Rockville, Parke County, Indiana daughter of Thomas N. and Margaret Digby Rice.  Thomas N. Rice, her father was a prominent lawyer of Parke County and died at Rockville in 1904.  He represented his county both in the Lower House and State Senate.  Mr. and Mrs. Nave have two daughters, Margaret Isabel and Beatrice Shannon. The older is the wife of Louis L. Johnson who was born in Morgan County, Indiana. They have two children, Isabel Nave and Shannon Meredith.  Beatrice is the wife of Clement B Isly of Attica. - Dunn, Jacob Piatt, Indiana and Indianans: a history of aboriginal and territorial Indiana and the century of statehood. Chicago: American Historical Society, 1919, Page 1313

NELSON, Samuel T., blacksmith and wagon maker, Mansfield, was born in Putnam County July 30, 1849 and is the son of John and Elizabeth.  Mr. Nelson's father was born in Kentucky and his mother in Indiana.  Mr. Nelson lived on the farm till 20 years old.  he then learned the blacksmith trade at Bridgeton and worked three years for George BELT.  He settled in Mansfield in 1874 and has been here ever since.  He began life wife of anything and by industry and hard work has been successful in business.  He was married October 14, 1875 to Sarah E. REA born November 18, 1853.  They have two children: Lou Etta, born April 30, 1878; Rea Eugene, November 19, 1879.  Mr. Nelson and wife are members of the Methodist church.  He is an Odd-Fellow and  a Republican. He is an honest, upright citizen.  Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana.  J. H.  Beadle.   Chicago: H. H. Hill

NELSON, William N. - secretary of the Arkansas City Commercial Club, an office through which he has rendered inestimable benefits to that community, is an old time business man of the city, having located there more than thirty years ago.   Mr. Nelson had the distinction of being postmaster of Arkansas City at the time it had its greatest population. He was appointed postmaster by President Harrison in 1889, and held the office four years and five months. It will be recalled that in 1889 the original Oklahoma Territory was opened for settlement. Then and for several years previously Arkansas City had been the chief point of rendezvous for the Oklahoma boomers, and the city transacted an immense volume of business as the chief outfitting point for entrance into the Oklahoma lands. The high tide, however, came with the opening of the Cherokee Strip in 1893. Before the gun was fired on the 16th of September of that year, giving the signal for the rush into the coveted land, there were 60,000 people temporarily residents of Arkansas City. The post office obviously became gorged with mail, and it required eighteen clerks to handle the volume of business.   Mr. Nelson is of English ancestry and was born in Rockville, Parke County, Indiana. He is of Quaker lineage. His grandfather, James Nelson, was born in Yorkshire, England in 1798, grew up and married in his native country, was a farmer by occupation, and in 1841 brought his family to America, locating at Bloomingdale, Indiana, where he spent the rest of his life. He was a man of rugged mold and was as temperate and regular in his habits as could be expected of the most ideal Quaker. He lived to be ninety-four years of age, dying in Bloomingdale in 1882. In politics he was a republican. He married Miss Chapman, who was born in Yorkshire, England, and died near Bloomingdale, Indiana.   Thomas Nelson, father of William H. Nelson, was born in England, in Yorkshire, in 1826. He came to America with his parents at the age of fifteen, and came to manhood near Bloomingdale, Indiana. His early life was spent on a farm, and in a similar environment he passed his active years. He was both farmer and stockbroker, and died in 1903 at the age of seventy-eight near Bloomingdale. He was a man of more than ordinary prominence in Parke County. As a republican he served as a county commissioner nine years, and for a number of years was a member of the Indiana State Board of Agriculture. It is noteworthy that he served on that board with I. D. G. Nelson, father of the late Col. W. R. Nelson, famous as the editor of the Kansas City Star. He married Elizabeth Chapman, who was born near the old home farm at Bloomingdale, Indiana, in March, 1829, and is still living, at the age of nearly ninety, her home being at Bloomingdale, Indiana.   William H. Nelson lived on an Indiana farm for his early home, attended district schools in Parke County, and after that finished his education in Quaker institutions. He attended the Quaker school at Bloomingdale, known as the Bloomingdale Academy, where he graduated in 1876, and then entered the largest Quaker college in the Middle West, Earlham College, at Richmond, Indiana. He finished the sophomore year there in 1878, following which he spent two years on a farm in Parke County. For 4 1/2 years he held the office of deputy auditor of that county, having been appointed January 1, 1881.   Looking to the West, with its broader opportunities and fresher atmosphere, Mr. Nelson came to Arkansas City in 1885. Since that year he has been actively engaged in the real estate, insurance and loan business, and is one of the oldest men in that line in Southern Kansas. His offices are in the Hill Investment Company Building. As secretary of the Commercial Club he has offices in the Security National Bank Building. Mr. Nelson knows conditions in Southern Kansas, has wide acquaintance with men and affairs, and as secretary of the Commercial Club has been able to render conspicuous services. For one thing he was instrumental in bringing to the city the Milliken Refinery Company, a $1,000,000 plant. In various other ways he has looked after the best interests of the city.   Mr. Nelson is a republican and is affiliated with Inaugural Camp No. 867, Modern Woodmen of America. Among other business connections he is president of the Crescent Oil Company and secretary of the Crewel Oil Company. He is owner of much city real estate, and in 1886 put up his comfortable home at 308 South B Street. Mr. Nelson is secretary and is a trustee of the Presbyterian Church.   In 1885, at Rockville, Indiana, he married Miss Cora K. Kirkpatrick, daughter of David and Minerva (Wilkinson) Kirkpatrick, both now deceased. Her father was for many years a merchant at Rockville, Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson have one son, Harlan Kirkpatrick, who still lives at home and is engaged in the oil business.  -  A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, written & compiled by William E. Connelley, 1918, transcribed by Lucinda Duree and Donny Elkins, students from USD 508, Baxter Springs Middle School, Baxter Springs, Kansas, March 15, 1999. – submitted by Karen Zach

Lewis NEWGENT was born January 28, 1861 on the farm where he now lives.  His father was John S. Newgent and mother Lucinda Lewis. The father was a native of Putnam county born August 25, 1830 and mother was born in Shelbyville, Kentucky and came to Putnam County with her parents when 7 years old. The father farmed all his life and was county commissioner two terms.  He was a Democrat. He died March 14, 1894. He belonged to the Methodist church.  He owned two farms 168 acres when he died.  His widow still survives and lives with Lewis of this sketch.  She is in her 80th year.  These parents have 7 children: William T. of Parke County, Indiana; Nancy wife of Thomas Heady of Madison Twp; Sarah Elizabeth, deceased; Edward on the old homestead; Lewis of the sketch; Millie, wife of Walter Sigler of Clinton Township; John deceased who married Mary Martin and left two children, Merl and Earl.  Lewis Newgent was reared on the farm where he has lived all his life.  He received a common school education.  He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at bethel, is a Democrat in politics and active in party affairs, having been committeeman of his precinct. - Weik, Jesse William.  Weik's history of Putnam County, Indiana. Indianapolis, Ind.: B.F. Bowen & Company, 1910, Page 375        

NEWLIN, Eli , farmer, Bloomingdale, was born in Orange County, North Carolina in 1816.  His father, Nathaniel, and his mother, Catharine HADLEY were natives of NC, from which state they came to Parke County in 1826, and first located on the farm now owned by G. WARD.  There were 12 of the family when they came to this county, of whom there are now but two living, Hannah SILER and the subject of this sketch.  Mr. Newlin's father died in this county at the age of 99 years and 7 months.  He was an elder in the church of the Society of Friends about 70 years.  Mr. Newlin's mother died about 1840.  Mr. Newlin has been a resident of the county since he came with his parents in 1826.  His pursuit in life has been that of an humble tiller of the soil.  He now resides at the old homestead to which his parents removed shortly after they came to the county.  He has long since been a devoted member of the Society of Friends, and politically is a Republican.   Taken from: Page286 History of Parke Co IN; J. H.  Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880

Exum NEWLIN. The citizens of Parke County are all familiar with the name of this prominent contractor and builder, who is also one of the most active workers in the Society of Friends.  He is the owner of 15 acres within the corporate limits of Bloomingdale and is himself a resident of Penn Township.  A man of great ability, he has won considerable local reputation as a poetical writer and his writings have been widely published and read.  The ancestry of our subject is traced to distinguished residents of England. Nicholas Newlin, who emigrated to America in 1682, was a descendant of Nicholas Newlin of Canterbury, England who was born about the year 1580.  He was descended from Sir Randolph de la Newlandee, landlord of Newlandee Hall of Essex Manor. The first representative of the family in the US brought with him a pack of hounds and about 20 horses which would lead one to suppose that he must have been an English fox-hunting squire.  At his request, he received a certificate from the Society of Friends at Cork, Ireland which gave him permission to emigrate to America.  Upon arriving in this country, Nicholas Newlin settled in Concord, Pennsylvania where as early as 1687 the meetings of the Friends were held in his house.  In 1683 a warrant for 10,000 acres of land was granted to him by Wm. Penn which is now Newland Township, and during the same year he was appointed Justice of the Peace.  Nothing further is known concerning his life history.  The great grandfather of our subject, John Newlin settled in North Carolina where he married Mary PYLE and reared several children to manhood and womanhood.  In that state after a long and useful life, he closed his eyes to the scenes of earth.  The paternal grandfather of our subject, Nathaniel Newlin was born in North Carolina May 11, 1768 and on the 13th of August 1794 he married Miss Catherine HADLEY whose birth occurred May 1, 1772.  10 children blessed the union: John; Joseph; Mary (Mrs. Enoch MORRISON); Jacob; Hannah (Mrs. James SILER); Duncan; Eleanor (Mrs. Exum MORRIS) ; James; Ruth (Mrs. William M. WOODARD) and Eli.  All are deceased with the exception of Eli, who was born in 1815 and now resides in Bloomingdale, Parke County.  The occupation of Nathaniel Newlin in early life was that of a farmer but in later years followed the trade of harness maker. In 1826 Grandfather Newlin removed to Parke County, where for one winter he made his home near Rockville but afterward entered land where the depot now stands and his son Eli has lived there ever since that time.  He was an active worker in the Society of Friends and for 50 years was the acknowledged leader of the Quakers in that community. The original name of the meeting place was Elevalis, which by his request was changed to Bloominfield and later transferred to Bloomingdale. His political affiliations in youth were with the Whigs and later with the Republican Party.  The father of our subject bore the name of Jacob Newlin and was born in NC, February 27, 1801.  After his marriage he came to Indiana and entered 160 acres of land in Parke where he remained until death closed his career February 17, 1845.  He and his wife, whose maiden name was Sarah WOODY, reared a family of 7: Sina who married Andrew TOMLINSON and is now deceased; Levi; Exum of this sketch; Ira; Matilda now Mrs. Joseph BOYD; Emily who died at age 30 and john.  The journey from North Carolina to Indiana was made in wagons and consumed 7 weeks. The first home of the family was a house constructed of round logs, having a puncheon floor and stick chimney. The father built the first barn in the county which for years was used by his neighbors for storing their grain.  He improved about one half the acres of the farm and there made his home as long as he lived.  Like his father he was a member of the Society of Friends and in his political views a Republican.  The maternal grandparents of our subject were John and Mary HOLIDAY WOODY of whom further mention is made in the biography of WC Woody, published elsewhere in this volume. The mother of our subject was born in Orange County, North Carolina in 1807 and makes her home in Rockville with her daughter, Matilda Boyd. Exum Newlin remained with his parents until age 23 when he married Miss Ann, daughter of John and Elizabeth DAVID PICKETT.  She is a native of Penn Township. and is one of four children, having had a twin sister who now is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Newlin are the parents of 5 children: Alonzo; Mary E, wife of John W. ALICE (sic); Sarah; Alice, Mrs. Robert N. NARIS (Sic - Maris?); and John P.  After his marriage, Mr. Newlin came into possession of 80 acres by his wife and upon this property, which is located northwest of Annapolis; he made his home for 13 years. There his wife died. The second marriage of Mr. Newlin united him with Elizabeth KERSEY who was born in Parke Co and is the daughter of Stephen and Jemimah Kersey, natives of North Carolina.  The ceremony which united Mr. and Mrs. Newlin in wedlock occurred in 1864 and one child was born unto them, a daughter, who died in childhood. In his political connections, Mr. Newlin is a republican and has served as Justice of the Peace since 1888.  He and his wife are Quakers and he is correspondent of the monthly meeting. There is also a poem about his life which is not entered here. The fifth reunion meeting of the Newlins of America held at Bloomingdale, Indiana., June 8, 1894, at 10:30 o'clock, was called by Exum Newlin who stated that the president was absent on account of sickness. On motion of Eli Morrison, William H. Newlin, of Springfield, Illinois, was elected president in absence of Charles E. Newlin. Bell Newlin, in charge of music, sang 'All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name' after which Elwood C. Siler conducted the devotional exercise by reading the 90th Psalm and offering prayer. Next on program was the president's address, but in his absence the following persons from different localities were called on to stand up and tell where they were from, viz: Anna Smick, of Ridge Farm, Illinois.; Mrs. L. M. Thompson, of Rossville, Illinois; Oliver Newlin, Martha Newlin, James Newlin, of Hutsonville, Illinois; Albert Newlin, of Cisna Park, Illinois; Benjamin Vestal and wife, of Plainfield, Indiana; Levi Newlin of Ridge Farm, Illinois; Nancy H. Hill, of Carthage, Iowa.; Emily Scott, of Fairmont, Indiana; Thomas Carter, of Tuscola, Illinois; Mrs. Hattie Beeson, of Kansas; Mary A. McClain and son Dale of Illinois; Alfred Newlin, of Newport, Indiana; William H Newlin, of Springfield, Illinois; Bertha Newlin, of Metcalf, Illinois; Zimri and Nancy Newlin, of New London, Indiana Alfred Newlin, Russiaville, Indiana, and Arta Newlin McCampbell, of Crawfordsville, Indiana.   Eli Newlin, the only child and youngest (sic) of Nathaniel Newlin, was called for. He made a few remarks and stated that he was 79 years old. Next came a family genealogy and a short history of the Newlin family, of Crawford County, Illinois, furnished by Abraham Newlin, of Annapolis, Illinois. It was ordered recorded in the Newlin record book. This genealogy is form the descendents of John Newlin, a brother of Nathaniel Newlin, late of Parke County. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana (Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893) Page 587

John H. NEWLIN.  Among the earliest settlers of Parke County is he of whom we write, who was born in Washington Township, north of Marshall, September 2, 1836, being a son of John and Ruth HINSHAW Newlin, who were honored pioneers of the region.  Our subject now owns 138 acres, located on Section 21, Sugar Creek Township, which place he has engaged in cultivating since 1879, at which time he became its owner.  He is engaged in mixed farming, and has also worked somewhat at the blacksmith trade, which he picked up when a boy.  He is a loyal supporter of the Republican Party and served most acceptably for 8 years in this township as Justice of the Peace.  He is a member of the Friends' Church, in the faith of which he was brought up, his parents both being Quakers.  For some time he was an Elder and is now serving as a minister.  The paternal grandparents of our subject were Joshua and Achsa VESTAL Newlin, the former a native of North Carolina where he was married and reared a family.  In 1827 he removed to Indiana locating in Parke County, south of our subject's present home.  He entered a farm from the government, having come here prospecting, and then returned for his family and household effects, which he removed in wagons.  He lived to see great changes in the locality and improved his farm, placing good buildings upon it.  He and his wife were members of the Friends' Church and in politics he was an old line Whig.  His family comprised 12 children: Eli, who married Roy EDWARDS; Ruth, wife of William HOBSON; Sally, wife of James UNDERWOOD; John; Nathan, who married Sally HACKETT; Eunice who first married Aaron PICKETT and after his death, married Paris MENDINGHALL (Mendenhall); Calvin who chose for his wife Rebecca HADLEY; Edith, wife of Thomas STAFFORD; Polly, Mrs. Aaron Hobson; Alfred, who died young; Enos, who married Elizabeth RUBOTTOM; and Luda, wife of Milton Rubottom.  When 18 John Newlin, Sr. married in North Carolina and on coming to Parke Co with his parents he also entered 160 acres of government land to which in the course of time he added 80 acres and became the owner of 400 acres in Sugar Creek Township as well as of small tracts in other places.  With the exception of the money advanced him by his father to enter his 1/2 section of land, he received no assistance but hewed out his own fortune.  On his farm he first made a small cabin of undressed logs, which was later replaced with a large one of hewed logs, which was again supplanted by a substantial frame house.  His business enterprises were not limited to farming alone for he followed more or less, and, having also become proficient as a hatter, for some time he carried on a hat shop.  On Mill Creek, he at one time owned 400 acres of land on which he erected a saw mill.  In 1841, he made a successful trip with produce down the rivers to New Orleans, freighting with teams to Cincinnati, Lawrenceburg, Chicago and Louisville frequently.  He was an active member of the Quaker Church, and in politics was an old Ine Whig.  His wife is yet living on the old homestead, at the good old age of 83.  She has been the mother of 8 children: Melinda, deceased; Jesse, deceased who married Phoebe ELLIS; Eunice, Mrs. Oliver CARTER; John H; Ruth, Mrs. John CHAPMAN; Rhoda, wife of Calvin HOBSON; Joshua, who died at age 19; and William, deceased whose wife was formerly Samantha CAMPBELL.  The educational advantages of our subject were those of the district school and when he was only 17 he was united in marriage with Sarah J, daughter of Jesse and Lydia NEWLAND Hobson. Mrs. Newlin is a native of Parke Co. and is one of 10 children.  Her parents were born in NC.  9 children came to brighten the home of Mr. and Mrs. Newlin.  Alpheus died when 19; Mary L, died age 17; Elma is the wife of Harvey KENNEDY; Jesse, deceased, married Laura NICKLE; Lydia is the widow of Miller F. PEEK; Cyrus died in childhood; Artie is deceased; Charles O died when 10; and Lillie completes the family.  After our subject's marriage he began renting land, after which for 3 years he worked at his father's mill. He was economical and industrious, thus managing to lay up a snug little sum of money.  His next move was to buy 70 acres of his father, for which he paid $700. After improving them, he removed to Howard County, where he bought a farm and lived for one year, and then returned to this county. After that he changed his location twice, permanently settling in 1879 on the farm he now operates. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana.  Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 325 

NEWLIN , Mahlon, farmer, Annapolis, was born in Guilford County, North Carolina February 3, 1822 and is the son of John and Ruth WOODY Newlin, who came from North Carolina to Parke County in 1826 and settled on the farm where Kersey Newlin now lives.  Here his father died March 10, 1841.  He was born May 18, 1795.  His mother was born March 24, 1793 and died April 30, 1858.  They were both natives of NC.  Mr. Newlin, the subject of this sketch has been a resident of Parke Co. since the 4th year of his age with the exception of 3 years spent in Howard County, and six years in Montgomery.  Mr. Newlin served an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, but he has never followed it for any length of time.  He has spent the most of his life farming and improving land.  In 1848 he was married to Alice NELSON daughter of James Nelson.  She was born in England December 8, 1828 and came to Parke co with her parents in 1841.  Mr. Newlin is a member of the Friends.  His family consists of 4 children: Margaret H, wife of William HADLEY; Agnes A; Rosilla R and Charles O.  (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana.  J. H.  Beadle.   Chicago: H. H. Hill)

 

NEWLIN, Nathaniel  settled in Penn Township in 1826, coming from North Carolina where he was born.  There were 12 in the family.  He remained a resident of Penn Township. until his death in his one hundredth year.  He was for 70 years an elder in the Friends church and was a man of integrity who infused into the life of others high qualities of virtue.  His son Eli was born in Orange County, Indiana in 1816 and came to this county with his parents in 1820, and became the owner of the farm possessed by his father.  He died several years ago in Bloomingdale.  He also was a life member of the Society of Friends.  Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co Atlas of  IN Centennial, 1816-1916, Page121.  

 

NEWTON, Benjamin W, farmer and stock raiser, Roseville, was born October 30, 1826.  His father emigrated from Southampton County, Virginia in the fall of 1834, coming directly to Rockville where he stopped about six months.   In the spring he moved about one and a half mi. So. Of Rockville and rented the KIRBY place.  In one year he moved on Little Raccoon, and purchased the farm where the bridge crosses the stream.  He finally built on some canal land where he lived until his death in 1846.  His mother, Eliza M, died August 17, 1871.  Mr. Newton lived at home until he was 23 year old.  After his father's death the providing for the family devolved upon him, and it was most cheerfully performed.  Mr. Newton finally moved to the old LOREE farm and here married, remaining one year afterward.  His first purchase of land was on raccoon and known as the TALLMAN place, giving therefore his only span of horses and $200.  He then moved and settled on a farm he had previously purchased and finally moved to his present beautiful home in the spring of 1869.  He now has 957 acres of land in Fla. Township.  October10, 1850, he was married to Malinda LEWIS, daughter of Isaac Lewis. They are the parents of 8 children: Emily J, born January 24, 1853; George W, born May 16, 1855; John R, born August 15, 1857; Robert B, born December21, 1860; Isaac T, born April 9, 1862; Margaret born January 12, 1864; Edman A, December 25, 1867 and Charles V, born July 17, 1870.  He joined the Methodist church when about 20 years of age and has held the offices of steward and trustee for many years and as such is a very efficient officer.  His wife is also a member.  He is a democrat, casting his first presidential vote for Douglas in 1860.  Mrs. Newton's father came from Virginia in a one-horse wagon and the load, consisting of the family and some furniture was rather heavy; so to lighten the load Mr. Newton and his brother Richard walked a great portion of the way.  On hi 50th birthday a grand supper was given by the family in honor of the event; 83 joined in the festivities of the occasion.  January 30, 1879 his wife arrived at the age of 50 and a surprise was given by the community in honor of her birthday to which 80 of those present to congratulate Mr. Newton attended and made the house ring with the thankful hearts and happy voices.

Daniel Monroe Newton, Jr. former postmaster/general store owner in Lena, IN  Daniel was born in 1872 in Putnam County Indiana to Daniel Monroe Sr. and Sarah Ellen Newton (formerly Sarah Ellen Peach). He is the youngest of two sons.  Daniel had an older brother William born in 1870.  Daniel's father died at or around 1874-1875.  Daniel's mother relocated to Parke County where she met and married George W. Coombes.  Sarah and George lived next door to Sarah's parents, Wellington and Sarah Ellen Peach. (formerly, Sarah Ellen Michael)  Sarah and George began adding to their family. In the 1880 census, Daniel was listed as living next door with his grandparents.  After finishing his education, Daniel married Susan Vanetta "Nettie" Barnes, also from Parke County.  Nettie was the daughter of Eliza Hartman Barnes and Lafayette Barnes.  He and Nettie started a family and he opened the general store.  In 1897, he added "postmaster" to his list of duties for the town of Lena.  He operated the Post Office in the same general store he owned and operated.  Daniel and Nettie had seven children.  Maybell, Mildred, Foster, Ralph, Gilbert, Hazel and Candace.  In 1906, Hazel at the age of three, died from an allergic reaction to eating raw peanuts.  Hazel Eliza Newton was laid to rest in Calcutta Cemetery, a short drive up the road from Lena in Clay County.  Daniel was a member of the Masons, as was his Grandfather, Wellington Peach.  Daniel was also a member of the Red Men of Carbon.  On October 5, 1912 Daniel was on his way home, walking through the town streets to get home to his family.  Someone was waiting for him on a side street near the store.  He was shot at close range and died instantly.  The satchel he carried home every night was missing.  It had cash, receipts and postage stamps. He started carrying the satchel due to robberies at the store.  The safe in his store had been broken into several times.  Despite thorough investigations, The gunman was never caught nor held accountable for his actions.  Needless to say, Nettie was devastated.   Daniel was laid to rest in Calcutta Cemetery, close to his daughter Hazel.  After saying goodbye to her husband, Nettie tried her best to keep the store running, but ended up selling the store.   Nettie raised her children and eventually was remarried to Curtis Eades of Lena. When Nettie passed away in 1953, she was buried with Daniel.  Curtis passed away four years later and is buried with his parents in Calcutta Cemetery. - shared by Nickie Hunsberger

NEWTON, George W., farmer, Clinton Locks, although a young man, is a very sociable, gentlemanly fellow, and is today one of the most successful of Florida's farmers.  He was born in Florida Township, Parke County May 16, 1855 on the farm lying E. Of the LEWIS schoolhouse and here lived until his parents moved to a farm previously purchased, and finally moved to the farm now occupied by his father and here lived until he arrived at the age of 21 years, at which time he began farming for himself on the BURSON property, managing a farm of 175 acres.  Here he lived 3 years at the expiration of which time he moved to his present home of 240 acres, improved in excellent shape, in Sections 19 and 24, in March 1880, having previously completed a well-arranged dwelling, 18 x 36 feet.  He was married August 20, 1876 in Fla. Township to Miss Ellen BOUND eldest daughter of Oliver and Rachel (Burson) Bound, a highly respected citizen of SW Parke, who has lately removed to Grayson Co TX.  By this union they have had two children: Maud B, born July 6, 1877 and Callie born October11, 1879.  Mr. and Mrs.. Bound were married in 1854.  She died in 1857 and is bur. In the Burson graveyard.  They had two children: Ellen and Rachel.  Their parents were Methodists while Mr. Bound is a republican.  Mr. Newton attended the public schools until the winter of 1873-4 which was spent at Bloomingdale Academy.  He is a democrat casting his first presidential vote for Samuel J. TILDEN in 1876. 

Richard N. NEWTON represents the agricultural class of Florida Township, Parke County and was born in old Virginia July 23, 1828 being the third child in order of birth in a large family of children born to William and Eliza Barnes Newton, as follows: Emeline, the eldest, who died when a young lady; Benjamin W, now one of the wealthiest farmers in this township; Mary and Margaret, deceased; Martha, deceased who married Mr. Kettle, and after his death made her home in St. Clair County, Missouri; Harriet, who married John Faws and lives at Roseville; Linnie, widow of John Conner, of St. Clair County, Missouri; Lucy, wife of James W. Holt, both now deceased; and Isaac H, who married Mary B. Jones, and lives in Bates Co., Missouri near Prairie City. The parents of this family were born in Virginia, the mother having been born March 23, 1801.  Both families were of English and Irish ancestry, and the grandfather of our subject was an orphan and married an orphan.  He was of Revolutionary fame and fought under Gen. Washington at the capture of Guilford Court House. Benjamin, a brother was also a soldier.  The father of our subject moved to Kentucky from Virginia and finally to Indiana, locating near Rockville. He died in what is known as the Pence neighborhood.  The mother died at the home of her son, Benjamin, of whom we have just spoken. Richard had but poor advantages for obtaining an education, his father being a man of very limited means, and as soon as he was old enough he was obliged to earn his own living.  In 1850, he went to Iowa, and there purchased a farm; but thinking it best to have a helpmate who would encourage and assist him in his pursuit, he married Amanda A. Horne, at Bloomfield, Iowa, Oct 9, 1851.  This lady was born in Parke County, Indiana November 9, 1829 and was a daughter of Thomas Horne, a native of Tennessee and one of the pioneers of this county.  Mr. and Mrs. Newton remained in Iowa until 1859 when they returned to Parke County and lived in various places until 1870 at which time the y settled on the place where they now reside, having purchased it a year previously. Mr. Newton and wife have been the parents of 11 children: Martha J, wife of William Cottral, died July 13, 1871, leaving one child, Cora.  Sarah C. married Joseph Cox, December 24, 1874.  Eliza A, born January 15, 1856 is now the wife of Josiah Boatman.  Margarette, wife of R. A. Modisett, lives in Vigo County.  William T. and John Isaac (twins) were born January 6, 1861; the former married Mary Boatman and lives in Rosedale and the latter died March 26, 1863.  Nora is living with her father. Richard V. is now engaged at the Michigan University, at Ann Arbor where he is a law student.  Perry O. married Miss Annie Hamersly and they are residents of Rosedale.  Laura A, born May 16, 1871 lives at home.  Charles G. born December 14, 1873, is helping his father in the farm work.  The mother of these children died March 31, 1889.  Mr. Newton has always been a great temperance man and in politics has devoted his life and influence to the Democratic nominees.  He is an influential member of the Church of Christ, as is also his wife and all his children but one. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana, Indianapolis: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 625

 

Jonathan M. NICHOLS, President of the National Bank of Rockville, was born in Monroe County, Indiana April 6, 1824 and is the son of Jonathan and Eliza Hamilton Nichols. His father was a native of Tennessee, but in a very early day removed to Indiana and established himself in Monroe County when the improvements in that section of the state were very meager. His profession was that of a teacher for which he was peculiarly adapted, both by nature and education. He always maintained a deep interest in educational matters and for a long time served as a Trustee of the state university at Bloomington, Indiana. He was also a business man of judgment and energy and engaged in merchandising a number of years. To Mr. Nichols' parents 10 children were born, 3 now living.   Our subject was the recipient of good educational advantages and in his childhood was a pupil in the Bloomington schools. To state that he availed himself to the utmost of every advantage offered him in his youth is but to record what actually occurred. After his schooling ceased he learned the trade of a tinner and at the expiration of his apprenticeship came to Rockville where he followed his trade four years. He then accepted a clerkship in a mercantile establishment where he remained for a number of years. During the great gold excitement of 1849, Mr. Nichols was one of the number who sought a fortune in the West. With a part of men he made the overland trip, leaving Rockville on the 19th of March and arriving at the Golden State about 1 October. His destination reached, he at once engaged in mining and for two years, continued in this occupation, meanwhile meeting with fair success. It was not, however, his intention to establish a permanent home in California and at the expiration of two years returned as far east as Ky., where he remained a short time. Later he clerked for awhile in his former home at Rockville and then formed a partnership in the mercantile business with Isaac J. Silliman, which continued 10 years. When Mr. Silliman served his connection with the business his interest was purchased by Messrs. Thompson and McCune, and the establishment was conducted under the firm name of Nichols, Thompson & McCune until 1864, when the entire concern was sold out. The above-named firm, on selling out their mercantile establishment, erected a woolen mill which they operated 10 years and then the partnership dissolved. In 1873, Mr. Nichols was called to the Presidency of the 1st National Bank of Rockville and continued at the helm of that financial institution until its affairs were closed out, four years afterward. At the inception of the National Bank of Rockville in 1877 he accepted the position of President and he still occupies that responsible office.  The bank is the largest institution of the kind in the county and has a capital of $100,000. The policy of its officers and directors has been such as to win and retain the confidence of the business men of the community and the high rank held by the bank among other corporations of the State is undoubtedly due to the indefatigable efforts and excellent judgment of the President.  In 1855, Mr. Nichols married Miss Lucinda Freeman who died 1858. His second marriage united him with Miss Martha McCune and they became parents of two children: Frank, who is employed in the iron and nail works at Greenfield, Indiana and Maude S, deceased. During the late war Mr. Nichols was one of the valiant men who offered his services to the country in its time of direst need. In 1862 he enlisted as a member of Company C, 78th Indiana. Infantry and served as 1st Luetenient. Among the engagements in which he participated was that of Uniontown, where Capt. Howard was killed and the entire company captured as prisoners. When released from imprisonment, their term of enlistment having expired, they returned to their homes. Socially, Mr. Nichols is connected with the Masonic order. He is a man who ever feels a deep interest in the welfare of the city and is constantly in the front whenever any improvement in contemplated. His position is among those public spirited citizens whose highest aim in life is not the achievement of personal success but the doing of that which will in the highest degree enhance the progress of the community.   - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page. 131

NOBLE, James, farmer, Hollandsburg, was born July 20, 1829 in Shelby County Kentucky.  He is a son of Joseph and Sarah (NAY) Noble, both born in Kentucky and came to Parke Co. in 1829.  James can entertain one very pleasantly in relating stories of the early times.  He has grown with the growth of Parke Co and there is but little difference in their ages.  He attended school and recited  when his turn came.  He always enjoyed the hunt with the father. W hen 12 or 14 years of age he hauled grain to Chicago and was gone 21 days on the trip.  James was married to Martha STAGG 1851 and had a family of four children: Sarah J; John R; Benjamin F; and Mary F, by this marriage  His wife died, leaving a family of small children.  Mr. Noble married again in 1863 taking to himself Margaret J. HOMAN.  The fruits of this bond are four children: Rachel, William P, Sidney A, Laura Nay.  He is democratic through and through, and whenever he runs for office both parties vote for him.  He has served 3 terms as justice of the peace and has been assessor.  He is comfortably wealthy, owing 435 acres of land.

Honorable Cole NOEL, one of Iowa's statesmen and a man prominent in political and commercial circles, claims Indiana as the sate of his nativity for his birth occurred in Monroe County of the Hoosier state 4 October 1818.  The Noel family came originally from England and was founded in America at an early day.  The grandfather of our subject was a Baptist minister.  The father was born in Virginia in 1782 and during his childhood removed to Kentucky which was then a territory. In 1815 he went to Indiana during its Territorial days and there resided until his death in 1851. He was for years Judge of the Probate Court of Parke County, Indiana  and at one time Associate Judge of the Circuit Court of Monroe County.  He filled various public offices in those counties and discharged his duties with a promptness and fidelity that won him high commendation.  He married Sallie McCAMMON, whose father was born in Ireland and at age 12 crossed the Atlantic, locating in South Carolina.  He served as a soldier in the Revolution under General Francis Marion and was faithful to the interests of his adopted country. Cole Noel was only six when his parents removed to Parke County, Indiana and he resided there until April 1852.  His boyhood days were passed upon a farm until 16 when, tiring of the monotony and routine of agricultural life, he secured a clerkship in a general store and was connected with merchandising during a great part of the time until 1856.  In April 1852, he became a resident of Iowa, locating first in Des Moines, whence, in December 1853, he came to Adel, where he has since made his home.  In a short time he had become identified with public affairs, for his worth and ability brought him into prominence, and in 1856 was reelected at each succeeding election until resigning office in October 1866.  He was appointed by President Lincoln as Assessor of Internal Revenue for 7th Iowa Congressional District in 1863 which position he acceptably filled until 1869 when he was elected a member of the Iowa Legislature, serving in the 13th General Assembly.  By his ballot and labors he aided in building the present Iowa State Capitol and gave his support to many measures calculated to promote his best interests of the public.  He was appointed by President Arthur as State Statistician for Iowa in the agricultural department and served 3 years. When his present term of Justice of the Peace expires, he will have filled that position for 10 years.  For almost 40 years he has been continuously in public office and no one can show a more honorable record than Cole Noel.  What higher testimonial of his faithfulness could be given than his repeated reelection to various positions of public preferment?  Upon his career there falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil and no one occupies a more enviable position in the public confidence than he.  His service has ever been for the benefit of the majority and he has won the support and approval of not only those of his own party but of those of the opposing party as well. Mr. Noel has been twice married.  He wedded Catherine SHUEY who was born in Augusta County, Virginia February 22, 1821 of German parentage.  Ten children were born to this union: Matthew B; Samuel J; Mary A; Sarah C; Lucy E; Edward M; William L; George S.; Walter A and Laura J.  Only four are now living: Matthew resides in Denver; Mary is the wife of J. C. Smart; Lucy wife of W. J. Dack of Adel; and Walter, a printer and city editor of the Daily Express of Beatrice, NB.  The lady who now bears the name of Mrs. Noel was in her maidenhood Elizabeth J. Cole, daughter of John and Susanna Duke Cole, the former a native of North Carolina and latter of South Carolina.  Her mother's people were of English origin but her father was of Scotch descent and in the war of 1812 he served as a drummer boy.  He afterward became a Baptist minister and devoted his life to his fellow men. Mrs. Noel was born in Sangamon County, Illinois  August 14, 1829 and by her marriage became the mother of 3 children: Emma Belle, wife of C. F. McCoy, Carrie S, who died in childhood and Marcella J, wife of W. T. Buck.  In his early life, Mr. Noel was a supporter of the Whig party, and when the Republican Party sprang into existence he aided in its organization in Dallas County. He was a strong opponent of slavery and loyally supported the Union cause during the late war.  For nearly half a century he has been an honored and valued member of the Masonic Fraternity. He was for one year Grand Scribe of the Grand Chapter for 8 years was High Priest of Tyrian Chapter NO. 37 RAM and is a Knight Templar. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church of Adel and in the community have many warm friends. - A Memorial and biographical record of Iowa  Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1896, Page 111

Perminter P. NOEL.  In this volume may be found biographies of many influential citizens who have plodded up the steeps (sic) of honor and prosperity with remarkable energy and success.  The life of Mr. Noel furnishes a good example of this kind.  He is now the owner of a good farm in Washington Township, Parke County, and thereon is devoting his time and strength to agricultural pursuits.  Progressive in everyway, he is known in this section as one of the well-to-do and prominent farmers.  A native of this county, our subject was born February 25, 1845, to Samuel and Rachel Parke Noel.  The father was the son of William Noel, who was a native of Kentucky and died when the father of our subject was very young.  Being left to depend upon himself, the father of our subject began serving a three years' apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade.  At the end of this time he commenced in business for himself, which he carried on in Kentucky for an indefinite period.  His marriage to Anna Carver resulted in the birth of the following children: James; William; Samuel; Artemesia; Mary; Hannah and Martha, all of whom are deceased except Hannah and Samuel.  In the year 1831 the father of our subject with his wife and six children came to Parke County where he entered land on which he now makes his home.  At that time he was able to enter 160 acres of timber land, but by working industriously at his trade, in the meantime carrying on his farm as best he could, at the end of 19 years he owned 300 acres of good farming land, the greater part of which he lived to see improved.  After the decease of his first wife, Mr. Noel married a second time, choosing Mrs. Rachael Noel, daughter of James and Nancy Parks and widow of Barnett Noel.  By her first marriage Mrs. Noel became the mother of 3 children: Nancy, Sarah and Mary, all deceased.  From her union with Mr. Samuel Noel have been born two children: P. P. and Nancy J.  The mother of our subject was a native of North Carolina being born August 4, 1809. Her parents were also natives of North Carolina, and after moving to Virginia, where they lived for a short time, located in Monroe County, Indiana, and there settled among Indians.  The parents of our subject were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Politically the father was a Whig, casting his first vote for Henry Clay for the Legislature.  In late years he voted the Republican ticket.  During his life he took an active part in the affairs of his township and was the recipient of many local offices.  He passed away January 22, 1872.  After the death of his father Perminter Noel married and took care of his mother until she also was called to the better land in August 1885.  Our subject's first union was with Miss Jane Watson, an orphan, reared under the guardianship of Charles Overman.  To these were born four children: James being the only one now living.  It was but a short time until Mrs. Noel died and our subject was again united in marriage to Margaret J, daughter of David and Martha McMurtry, who with her husband is a faithful worker in the Presbyterian Church of Bethany.  Mr. Noel is in social life a member of the Knights of Pythias, Silliman Lodge, No. 66 at Rockville.  Politically he is a conspicuous figure in the ranks of the Republican Party.  Has been President of the Parke County Agricultural Association and is now active in the capacity of Treasurer of the same.  He is looked upon as one of the influential members of society, his education and good breeding and honorable character giving him weight in the community. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana (Chapman: 1893) Page 389

Scott NOEL came to Parke County in 1823 with a dog and gun as his sole possessions.  He became identified early in the meager business affairs of Rockville.  In 1836 he was elected justice of the peace for Adams Township, and with the exception of four years held the office for over 40 years.  He was postmaster here for 22 years.  Mr. Noel conducted both offices in a highly creditable and satisfactory manner.  He and his wife, early in life, became members of the Methodist Church and both were honored and respected by people in all walks of life.  He was a noticeable figure; being over 6 and a half feet tall and with the plug hat which he always wore looked much taller.  - Parke County Indiana Centennial Memorial, 1816-1916, Page 113

 

Scott NOEL was born Bullskin Creek, Shelby County, Kentucky May 20, 1808.  In 1815, his father, Lewis Noel moved thence to Sullivan County, Indiana and erected the first house in the town of Carlisle.  Next year the family moved to Monroe County and settled at Jack's Defeat - not a battlefield but a swampy creek, where a pioneer named Jack had mired.  There the family lived till Scott was grown when he came into Parke County by way of a bridle path which traversed Jackson Township and crossed Big Raccoon at Dixon's Mills.  His first night in Parke was spent at Zopher Coleman's in a log cabin.  Thence he came to Rockville, halted a few hours and went on to Peyton Wilson's where James E. Morris now lives.  It is needless to describe the rough pioneer roads; every settler tells the same story of mud and toilsome travel.  Andrew Ray, Supervisor, "warned out" all the able bodied men and had a road cut from two 3 miles NW - a road which maintained its original bad reputation for 40 years some of it being bad enough yet.  The location of Rockville was rather attractive in a state of nature. The courthouse yard was thick set in beech and sugar trees; down the slopes each way this yielded to swamp elm and white ask and westward to walnut, linn and buckeye.  The road westward was tolerably good in good weather till it reached the Black Swamp, a region on which the general verdict was, "It will never be settled in the world!"  But it now contains some of the finest farms in the county.  Luxuries were few but the necessaries of life were abundant and cheap. Whisky retailed at ten cents a gallon. A silver dollar would buy enough to make all the voters at an average precinct fighting drunk.  As early as 1827, there were 3 distillers in the county at Rosedale; Mansfield and Beard's Mills (after Manwaring).  Terre Haute was then about such a town as Roseville now is and had many rivals along the river some of which have since been forgotten even by name.  Montezuma, Covington, Portland, Attica, Williamsport, LaGrange and Lafayette were all in the chrysalis state; but it was agreed at an early day that that the state must have "at least one big town on the river above Terre Haute."  Besides the above there were Victory, Paul Pry, Daniel Boone, William Tell,, Facility, Fairy Queen, Fidelity, Science, Republican and half a dozen others, little more than mere steamboat landings, but cherishing grand ideas of future bigness.  By 1832, the rivalry was narrowed down to Attica & Lafayette and there seems no good reason in the nature of things why one should have got the start rather than the other. The Indians still lingered or were leaving by slow degrees.  Miamis and Pottawattomies remained longest. They clung to the creeks and were most numerous from Roseville to Raccoon. A few of the old French rangers were still in the country and many of their mix descendants (French-Indian) remained to times quite recent. There was in early times, a large French & Indian town on the north side of the Wea plain and General Clark reports that even in the last century this town contained 40 well built houses, occupied by traders, besides tents and wigwams, which extended a mile down the Wabash.  After the British occupation that place declined but the settlers lingered here and there in the country. The last in Parke County was one Christmas Dazney the son of a Frenchman and Miami woman.  Squire Noel tells of a visit to Dazney's when curiosity got the better of politeness and he stopped to gaze at some of the old fellow's Indian guests, greatly to the Franco-Indian's disgust.  He was very ceremonious to his Indiana visitors and required that the white men who came about should treat them with equal respect.  In 1853, a man of half Indian blood discounted from some of the native tribes work awhile in this vicinity but his name is forgotten and with him went the last relic of our aborigines.  About 1830, "Squire Noel's reminiscences are mostly political.  The first grand squabble was over the courthouse. It split the county, divided parties put strife between friends and engendered schism in the churches.  And, indeed, it did look like a very inauspicious time to erect a large and expensive brick building.  The population was very sparse in 1830, there was almost no money at all and county orders fluctuated at from 30 to 50 cents on the dollar. At least 1/3 of the county was considered "swamp land," not likely to be settled for a century and the most sanguine hardly hoped to live to see the county out of debt or its paper at par.  And in proportion to population and with the building was far more oppressive than the one now in progress.  The commissioners were Lewis Noel, Samuel H. McCord and John Smock and while they debated Alexander Elder one of the opposition put his head in at the window and roared out, "If you will build it, build a good one - 60 x 60 feet."  This was greeted with a roar of lafter outside as a good joke, but the Commissioners took it in grim earnest, and hence the shape of the late court house a 60 foot square.  Squire Noel worked on the building at $1 per day in orders really 50 cents a day and thought it good wages.  Thomas H. Blackburn took the contract for the jail. It never was much of a building and was finally set on fire by a prisoner and burned, to be succeeded by one but little better.  And when the courthouse was taken down it clearly appeared that contractors were not more honest then than now for part of the wall was shamefully bad work.  And with this we end, "Squire Noel's reminiscences what follows being partly from other sources.”  Before Parke was organized all the country north of Vigo was in one precinct; after 1821 it was for awhile called Wabash County and after Montgomery was organized Wabash was attached thereto for judicial purposes.  Fountain and Tippecanoe were soon after market out and in May 1825 Mr. William Digby laid out a town near the French Trader, Longlois' place and in honor of the great Frenchman who had just made the tour of America named it Lafayette.  This place excited no end of latter; the settlers at Crawfordsville, Attica and other towns called it LAUGH - at and the main lot owner at Lagrange jestingly offered to "go up and grease the place with a bacon rind so the dogs would be able to find it."  Three days after laying of the town, Mr. Digby sold the whole tract except 27 acres and ferry privilege to Samuel Sergeant for $240.  About this time a grand caravan of Kentuckians past thru Parke to look at the Wea prairie and on their return and it was "the prettiest place this side of Heaven."  They settled there en masse and thereafter the candidates of Congress visited that place and Rockville on the way at least once in each campaign but for a long time no candidate lived nearer than Vincennes. Thorntown was at first a large French and Indian village but about this time they began to give place to the white and then the Indian border was too far north to be of any further interest to Parke.  Raliff Boose, of Warrick, represented the district while it was still in the southern part of the sate and as counties were successively added his district took them in, till it extended from the Ohio to Lake Michigan. His first competitor to this section was Dr. Lawrence S. Shuler of Terre Haute whose fame as a surgeon extended far and wide thru the Wabash country. He sometimes went a hundred miles to perform a delicate surgical operation.  It was thought his popularity would effect Boone's but he was beated and died a few years afterwards universally lamented. Boone’s next competitor was John Law, who brought into the canvass a deal of energy.  He and Governor James B. Ray made a thoro canvass of the district in 1828 holding forth at every settlement and occasionally in the woods and people often came as far as 25 miles to hear them. That year they got exempt in the Wea Plain lay out all night got breakfast and fresh horses at 10 o’clock in the forenoon and gallop on to their next appointment.  Boone continued to represent the district as long as he cares to then went to the Far West and after all, died in comparative obscurity.  There is much talk of honesty and purity of those old times but if we must judge from the fragment of their speeches which have come down to us the candidate abused each other even more than they do now.  The judicial circuits were on the same broad scale and for some time after Terre Haute was set off into the lower circuit, the judges and lawyers traveled from Rockville to Lafayette on horseback, fording streams and swamps in all waters to carry justice to the pioneers.  It is not to be supposed that such hardships made them better lawyers exactly but only the toughest could stand it; the weakly ones died young or went back to an alter ? Country and natural selection secured the survival of the fittest.  Court at Crawfordsville was then looked forward to with great pleasure so that the town had the conveniences of civilized life long before any other in the northern circuit.  In 1825 a pioneer lawyer described Lafayette as "eligible for a fine town though the ground is thickly set with hazel and plum brush, grape vines and large forest trees which make it difficult to survey.  On the records of half a dozen terms at Lafayette before 1834, it appears that john Law came from Vincennes, Blake, Hunting and Farrington from Terre Haute; Raridan from Richmond; Caleb B Smith from Connersville, Jos. A Wright and Wm. P. Bryant from Rockville, Hanegan, Patterson and Wallace from Covington, Lane, Curry and Wilson from Crawfordsville - all of which would seem to indicate a good deal of lawing even in those early days.  Of the lawyers on the Lafayette roll six afterwards graced the bench, Bryant, Petti, Wallace, Huntington, Law & Ingram; 9 became members of Congress, White, Pettit, Hannegan, Blake, Raridal, Law, Lane, Wallace and Hannegan became US Senators.  Wright al became Governor and Minister to Berlin, Lane, Governor and Senator; Bryant Chief Justice of Oregon and Caleb B. Smith a member of the Cabinet.  So it appears that strength of mind was associated with that strength of body which carried them through their life as pioneer lawyers.  It is also recorded that all the early lawyers wherever they happened to be took appropriate action on received news of the death of John Adams and Thomas Jefferson in 1826 and soon after court adjourned to give everybody a chance to hear Lorenzo Dow preach@!  Still later there was a terrible excitement in all these counties about the Black Hawk war and before that entirely past away a few cases of cholera occurred on the Wabash to the unmitigated horror of the pioneers who looked upon that disease as certain death. It was for awhile reported and believed by many that the entire US Army at Ft. Dearborn Chicago) was exterminated by this disease. Before this panic had subsided came a prodigy that filled the boldest with terror - "the stars fell to the earth!"  We find it hard to believe all that some of the old people tell about this phenomenon.  Imagination must have added much to the evidence we have about it for the year 1833 was prolific of religious excitement of all kinds, especially that form of the Second Advent doctrine known as "milleriam." But make all allowance for exaggeration the shower of meteors must have been a startling sight and in Indiana it produced serious results. Some fainted and remained insensible for hours; a few at least were driven partially insane while two or three sickly and nervous persons actually died of the shock.  But when it was over people saw just as many stars in the sky as they had ever seen and before many years the phenomena of meteoric showers were better understood. Now, such is the scientific and practical spirit of the age it is doubtful if the people would "take on" much if it should rain meteors for 24 hours. As science enlarges the domain of knowledge we have less dread of the unknown we are less superstitious than our father, less credulous and far less liable to fall into religious mania or follow teachers of the wild and excitable doctrine.    - The Rockville Tribune October 2, 1879

Scott Noel said he would not make a speech, but if the roof of the stand would permit he would stand up and show his hight (sic). Came to the County in 1823, with a gun and a dog. Was a mere strippling (sic) then and holds his own well. Stayed the first night at Zopher Coleman’s. Slept on the floor. Coleman got up in the night and layed down between him and the fire. Noel, thinking it was his dog, straightened himself, took Coleman in the side, and sent him in to the ashes. Coleman had a notion to jerk a leg off of him, but Noel pretended to be asleep and was not interrupted. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1836, and has been a Justice ever since, except four years. He has been post master of Rockville for 21 years. Age 66.”  - Indiana Patriot, 23 September 1874

NOEL, William T, the first law student in the county, was prominent in his time; he was the leader of the Whig party in Parke Co.  He did not do much in the law; he finally went to Crawfordsville, and was  appointed registrar of the land office.  He died there.

George S. NOEL is one of the oldest settlers now living in Adams Township, Parke County, Indiana.  When he first came here Indians were numerous and game of all kinds was abundant and he was a hunter of no mean repute, delighting in the sport.  He owns a fertile farm of 80 acres Section 20, Adams Township where he is engaged in general farming and stock raising. The birth of Mr. Noel occurred in Monroe County, January 31, 1821.  His father, Lewis Noel was born in Essex Co, Virginia.  He was in turn the son of Bernard, who was an early settler of Kentucky and preacher in the Baptist Church.  Lewis Noel grew to manhood in Kentucky, and there married Sally McCannon soon after which event he located in Franklin County, Kentucky.  He was a boat builder by trade and for some years continued at that occupation.  In the year 1816 he removed to Indiana, first settling in Sullivan County, where he engaged in farming for almost one year, and then resided in Monroe County for 7 years.  In December 1824, he landed in Parke County, purchasing land of the Government on which he settled.  He was one of the first pioneers of this region and was devoted to clearing his land until 1828, when he became a resident of Rockville for two years and then returned to his agricultural pursuits.  Again, in 1836, he went to Rockville and built a house, where he lived one year.  In 1837 he moved upon a farm a mile south of the village where he lived several years.  Then retiring from his active work and once more going back to Rockville he spent his remaining days, dying in 1851.  George S. Noel is one of 11 children, all but two of whom grew to mature years and the following are still living: Samuel who lives in Des Moines, Iowa and is a veteran of the Civil War; Coleman, who lives in Odell and is clerk of the court, having held an office under President Garfield; Patsy, wife of Johnson Puett, and Sallie, wife of James Burford, deceased.  Scott died about two years ago.  The father of these children went by the name of Judge Noel and was a popular man in political circles.  He was one of the deacons of the Baptist Church at Rockville, of which he was one of the founders.  The building he erected, raising the timbers himself.  George S. Noel grew to manhood in Parke County and remained with his parents until his marriage in 1840, with Miss Sarah Ann Morris.  She is a daughter of John Morris, who emigrated from Augusta County, Virginia in 1837 and was a carpenter in Rockville.  Mrs. Noel was also a native of Augusta Co.  Soon after his marriage our subject located on a farm south of Rockville, which his father had given to him.  They settled in the midst of the woods, where they commenced housekeeping.  About the year 1856 Mr. Noel became the owner of his father's farm, upon which he moved and there resided for four years, selling the place in 1860 and buying the one which has been his home for over 30 years.  Mrs. Noel died in 1851, leaving 4 children, two yet survive: John L, who lives in Rockville and Charles R, a resident of Des Moines.  Amanda Jane died in the prime of life; she was the wife of Andrew J. McAllerten and left 4 children to mourn her loss. George, a grandchild, died in the summer of 1892 at the home of his grandfather.  Mr. Noel's present wife to whom he was married in 1851 was formerly Mary Manken, who was born in Columbiana County, Ohio August 7, 1829, and came to Indiana in 1850, settling in Parke Co.  Their daughter, Sarah, married Alexander Strain and died at the home of her father, leaving one child, Elizabeth who lives with our subject's son John at Rockville.  Politically, Mr. Noel is a Democrat.  He is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church to which he has belonged for many years past.  For two years he acted as Deputy Assessor of this township, keeping all the books and records himself. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana.  Chicago: Chapman Brothers, Page 436

NOLEN, George W., farmer and engineer, Annapolis, is the son of William and Nancy (ROSS) Nolen, who came to this co. at an early day from Virginia, locating in Penn Township.  He experienced the trials and vicissitudes of pioneer life.  His father has been engaged in milling a great portion of his life.  He served in the army of the Rebellion, and is now engaged in farming and stone cutting.  Mr. Nolen was born January 19, 1859 receiving his education at the district common school and during his life has been engaged some at farming, but principally at engineering.  Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana.  J. H.  Beadle.   Chicago: H. H. Hill

 NORMAN, Dr. James I. physician, Parkville, is the son of William and Nancy (HATFIELD) Norman.  His father is a native of Kentucky, born in 1807.  He emigrated from his native state to Parke County with his parents in 1817.  Notwithstanding the few facilities at this early period for the advancement of literary culture, he taught school and plead in the justice's courts.   He died on his farm, in Union Township, in 1866.  Dr. Norman's mother is a native of Ohio  and is now 65 years old.  She resides in Union Township.  She came to Parke Co. In 1830 with her parents.  Dr. Norman was born in 1851 in Parke Co.  He was educated in the graded schools of Waveland and Bellmore, then graduated from the Physicians and Surgeons' Medical College, of Indianapolis, in the class of 1876.  He was afterward awarded an honorary diploma from the Indiana Medical College.  He has been an active practitioner in his profession since his graduation.  Dr. Norman was married in 1878 to Miss Mellie BECK, daughter of Leonard and Mary (STEPHENS) Beck. She is a native of Sullivan County, Indiana.  Her parents immigrated to America from France; her mother in 1846 her father some time before.  Her father was a merchant.  Mrs. Dr. Norman was educated in the Roman Catholic schools of St. Charles, Missouri and Vincennes, Indiana.  She is a member of the Roman Catholic Church.  Dr. Norman was formerly a democrat but is now an independent in politics.  He was appointed to the office of postmaster in Parkville, about one year ago, and this office he still retains.  (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana.  J. H.  Beadle.   Chicago: H. H. Hill)

 Mrs. Nancy Hatfield NORMAN, one of the oldest livings settlers within the limits of Union Township, Parke County, who is now contentedly spending the declining years of a well spent life in the old home, has for more than half a century been a resident of this place.  She is a native of Butler County, Ohio having been born September 20, 1813.  Her father, George Hatfield was a native of Virginia.  He was reared on a farm and followed the occupation of farming all his life.  The mother, Rachael Bell in her maiden days, was born in the state of New Jersey and was reared until 12 years old.  The father and mother of our subject were blessed with 9 children, 4 of whom were daughters and five sons, all reaching years of maturity but now deceased with the exception of 3.  Mrs. Norman is the 7th child and 3rd daughter in order of birth and was reared in her native place, remaining there until reaching her 18th year when she came to Parke County with her mother with whom she remained until her marriage.  This happy event occurred in 1832 when she was united in wedlock to William Norman of Kentucky.   Mr. Norman came with his parents to Parke County when he was 7 and was here educated.  His father, Lemuel Norman was born in the Old Dominion and was an early settler in this county. His mother, Catherine Bassitt Norman was of Kentucky and to her were born 10 children.  William Norman was a general farmer and stock raiser by occupation and was a well known and highly extended man in the county in which he lived.  He was in early life an old line Whig, but later cast his vote and influence with the Democracy.  His death, which occurred in 1866, was an irreparable loss to the community as he always took an active interest in those things pertaining to the welfare of the community and was recognized as one of the best citizens of the township.  In all the relations of life he was honorable and upright and the success which crowned his efforts was richly merited.  In 1832 Mr. and Mrs. Norman located on the farm where the latter now makes her home.  Here they built a small log house, 16 x 18 in dimensions.  Mr. Norman entered a tract of land from the Government and hewed the logs himself with which he built his house.  There was not a frame house in the township when Mr. Norman located here.  Mrs. Norman is the mother of 8 children, 3 daughters and five sons, one dying in infancy - Howard. The others are: Mary Jane, now deceased; Oliver P, a resident of Kansas; George W. a farmer of Missouri; Sarah E, the wife of Walter Wilson , Union Township; Rachael A, wife of George Switzer; William H, who died at age 42 in Missouri; James I., a physician of Parkeville in this county.  All the children were born in the first house their father erected on the farm.  George Switzer, the son-in-law of Mrs. Norman and husband of Rachel A, was born in Preble County, Ohio July 10, 1842.  He has charge of Mrs. Norman's estate of 160 acres of fertile land.  He is here carrying on general farming and stock raising extensively, keeping some of the best cattle and horses and is meeting with marked success.  He is the father of one son, Oliver D, who is a young lad attending school - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana.  Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 528

John NUGENT, who has resided within the borders of Vermilion County for 46 consecutive years, has lived practically retired during the past decade, having won a handsome competence as an agriculturist. He is the owner of 196 acres of valuable land, 104 thereof being in Section 1, Catlin Township while the remainder lies in Vance Township where he makes his home. His birth occurred in Indiana on 21 October 1837, his parents being Charles and Mary (Pugh) Nugent, who were born, reared and married in Shelby County, Kentucky. In 1828 they removed to Parke County, Indiana and several years later took up their abode in Knox County where they continued to reside throughout the remainder of their lives. John Nugent was reared to manhood under the parental roof and pursued his studies in the common schools.  His educational advantages were limited, however for he attended school only during the 3 or 4 winter months when his services were not required on the home farm.  In 1860 he came to Ill, locating in McLean County where he started out as an agriculturist on his own account, first cultivating rented land for 2 or 3 years.  On the expiration of that period he purchased 160 acres of railroad land but a year later sold his claim.  The year 1864 witnessed his arrival in Vermilion County and here he has made his home continuously since, first purchasing and locating on a farm of 48 acres one mile north of Fairmount in Vance Township. At the end of 4 years he disposed of the property and bought 80 acres of his present farm on Section 34, Vance Township.  As his financial resources increased he made additional purchase from time to time until his holdings now embrace 196 acres of rich and arable land, 104 acres thereof being in Section 1, Catlin Township. Throughout his active business career he has been engaged in diversified farming, winning success as the result of his well directed industry and capable management. During the past 10 years, however, he has not been actively identified with agricultural interests, renting his land to his son, Charles W. and son-in-law, William H. McBroom. 1861 Mr. Nugent returned to the Hoosier state for his bride, being married 24 February of that year to Miss Frances COLLINGS of Parke County.  He brought his young wife to McLean County and the following year bought his first land. Mr. and Mrs. Nugent became the parents of 5 children: Mary E, wife of Wm. H. McBroom who operates a portion of the home farm; Jane who gave her hand in marriage to J. G. Rice of Sidell Township, Vermilion County; Joseph S. who follows farming in Catlin Township, Celia A, who is the widow of WF Cass and resides in Sidell Township, and Charles W. who lives on the home farm. The wife and mother was called to her final rest 12 December 1890.  Politically, Mr. Nugent is a stanch advocate and supporter of the Republican Party, believing its principles are most conducive to good government. The cause of education has ever found in him a warm friend and for about 30 years he served as school trustee. He has passed the Psalmists' allotted span of 3 score years and 10 and his life has ever been such as to win and hold the regard and esteem of those with whom he has come in contact. - Jones, Lottie E. History of Vermilion County, Illinois: a tale of its evolution, settlement, and progress for nearly a century.  Chicago: Pioneer Publishing Company, 1911, Page 626