Parke County Indiana Biographies - T
Please send any additions or corrections to James D. VanDerMark
TATE, John H., was born in Springfield, Ohio August 26, 1837. His life till the age of 18 was spent in his native place. In 1855, he came to Rockville and was engaged as salesman in a mercantile house till 1860, when he acted as Deputy Co. Auditor until 1865. In October of that year he was elected Auditor of Parke County, and by reelection has held the office ever since. Mr. T. Is recognized as one of the active businessmen of Rockville, who takes an interest in the growth and prosperity of the place. He is engaged to a considerable extent in real estate and insurance business. He is also one of the principal proprietors in the Parke Banking Co. At Rockville, of which bank he is cashier. The firm is composed of DA COULTER, J. H. TATE and .K. STARK. The fine building occupied by this bank was erected by the partners in 1873. It is a credit and ornament to the place, and speaks well for the business enterprise of its projectors. The banking house, in its internal arrangement is a model of safety, neatness and convenience. (Picture of building is in atlas) (taken from the 1874 Parke Co. Indiana Atlas Page 37)
TAYLOR, Ira S. -- deceased, an honored and respected citizen and one of the first of Parke's native sons, was born January 13, 1822 in Wabash Township. Being the son of Dr. Richard and Clarisa Taylor, two of the county's earliest settlers, both of whom, long since worn down by earthly toils, have been laid to rest. Young Ira lived with his parents until he was about 25, at which time he moved to Section2, R 9, where he lived until he finished his earthly labors, February 14, 1877. He is buried in the Spangler graveyard, in Vermillion County, Indiana . April 20, 1848, he married Jane SPANGLER, who died in September1860. March 13, 1862 he was married to Emeline HUNTER, daughter of Christopher C. And Amanda (ALLAN) Hunter, in Paris, Edgar County, IL. Mr. Hunter was born In Putnam Co and died in Park about 1845. Mrs. Hunter was born in Nashville, TN and died June 11, 1864. Mr. and Mrs.. Taylor became the parents of 4 children: Spencer K, born January 27, 1863; Edward W, born April 17, 1865; Ira S, born October30, 1867 and Nettie, born November1, 1871. Mr. Taylor attended the schools at Greencastle and Danville, IL some time before his marriage, and was well qualified to hold the public office to which the people elected him, that of justice of the peace, which he held 12 years. Mr. T. Was a wagon maker by trade, and worked some time both in Clinton and Paris. He was also employed about two years as clerk in the store of David SMITH in Clinton and for J. M. LYONS. He was a firm republican casting his first presidential vote for Clay in 1844.
TAYLOR, Silas, farmer and stock raiser, Clinton Locks, was born In Wabash Township, about 3 mi. N. Of the place upon which he now lives, November 28, 1830. His father, James T. Taylor, came to this country from Ireland and to Parke County, Wabash Township in 1823 from Ohio , where he had followed farming since his arrival. Here Mr. Taylor lived until his death in April 1850. Mr. Taylor's mother was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and died in November1839. Mr. Taylor worked by the month on a farm and at home until his 24th year after which time he was engaged upon the canal two summers. In 1857 he commenced farming for himself, having rented, until in August 1864, when he purchased his present farm of 169 acres in Section 12, R 9W. He was married January 6, 1857 to Lucinda DAVIS in Florida Township and in his present home. By this union they became the parents of five children, four of whom are living at home. Harrison H. LINCOLNdiedAugust1860 when but 9 months old; James, Edward and Sarah I. His wife died April 7, 1880 while they were traveling in the west for her health and was buried in Columbus, Kansas. He is an earnest republican, casting his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont in 1856. Mr. Taylor is one of the oldest native-born citizens of southwestern Parke, and has ever been known and respected as an honest, conscientious man.
TEAGUE , Henry, farmer, Marshall, was born in Guilford County, NC August 14,1805. In 1826, he was married to Martha FRAZER and in 1829, came to Parke County in January 1830, he moved to his present farm, which he had entered in 1829, and has been a resident of Parke county ever since, and has lived on the same farm. He owns 160 acres, on which he has made all the improvements, having taken it in the woods. His wife was born in NC, in 1808 and died in this co. in 1864. His family consists of 10 children now living: Able F; Sarah, wife of W. McIntyre; Nancy, wife of B. F. ENGLE; Samuel M; Rachel, wife of S. HUTTON; Theresa, wife of J. CARTER; Henry D; Ellis R; Martha E, wife of S. K. BEESON; John M and two deceased, Rebecca and Newton. Mr. Teague has been a constant member of the United Brethren church of 30 years. He is now in the 75th year of his age, and is in good health for a man of his age. After spending so many years in a new country living in a log cabin, and enduring the privations, he says that those were the happiest days of his life. he was formerly a whit until the organization of the republican party, since which time he has cast his vote with it. (Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill)
TENBROOK, Andrew , farmer, Bloomingdale, is one of Parke County's early and most respected pioneers. He was born on a farm in Lycoming County, PA August 8, 1810. In 1816, his parents removed to Butler County, Ohio where they lived until 1823, when they moved to Parke County, Indiana and settled on the farm on which Mr. TenBrook now lives. This farm and all the adjacent country was then one dense body of woods, traversed only by bridle paths. Mr. Tenbrook's father was compelled to camp in the woods until he could build a cabin. Andrew lived with his father till he was 25 years old, when he married Rachel BROWN and shortly after bought a farm on the Wabash river, where he resided till the death of his father, 11 years after, when he bought the homestead and moved on it. In 1849, he was elected to represent the county in the legislature and served one term. During the war of the rebellion he had 3 sons in the army, one a surgeon and two privates. He is now living with his second wife, to whom he was married March 2, 1856. Taken from: Page 295 History of Parke Co Indiana ; J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880
Andrew TENBROOK was born in Pennsylvania, August 8, 1810 and came with his father's family to Penn Township settling there in 1823. The tract, as well as the adjacent country, was then a dense body of woods, traversed only by what was known as bridle paths. The family was compelled to camp in the forest until a log cabin was built. Andrew was married to Rachel BROWN at the age of 25 and bought land near the Wabash River and at the death of his father, moved to his father's farm. In 1849, he was elected a member of the Legislature. During the Civil War he had 3 sons in the army, one of whom, John A. now living in Tuscola, Illinois was a corp. in Co "A" 85th Regt. The late Mrs. David Paxten OTT was a daughter. Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co Atlas of Indiana Centennial, 1816-1916, Page121
Charles M TENBROOK. This efficient gentleman holds the very responsible position of Superintendent of the Asylum for the Poor of Parke County. He was born July 9, 1851 on the old homestead west of Rockville. He is the son of John Tenbrook who was a native of PA, having been born in Union County, PA July 27, 1824. When he was 18, he moved to this county with his father, William TenBrook and settled one mile west of Annapolis. Here they purchased land and lived until the death of William. The son was married to Miss Mary, a daughter of Benjamin Lee, a prominent farmer of this county, who came from NC in an early day and followed the carpenter's trade together with tilling the soil. After his marriage the father of our subject located one mile west of Rockville, where he bought 50 acres of land and lived thereon until his death, which occurred in the fall of 1865. He was the father of 4 children: of whom two are yet living, our subject and Belle, now the wife of JW Beadle, who is a resident of Rockville. She is the mother of two daughters, Pearley and Martha T. The latter is the wife of JB Cheadle, a Congressman from the 9th District of the state. Pearly married Hattie Mankins and is now deceased. In politics our subject's father was a staunch Republican and was strongly opposed to the extension of slavery, and hence fought against it in the late war. He was a man respected and well liked by all who knew him, being a sagacious and thoroughly trustworthy business man during his entire life time. He passed to his final rest of 21 November 1865. His wife survives him and makes her home in Rockville. Charles M. TenBrook received his education in his native place and added to his fund of knowledge, attending the Rockville and North Bloomingdale Academy, where he made the best of his opportunities. He improved his time and by keen observation and association with educated men won for himself the reputation of a thoroughly cultured gentleman. After he left school he engaged in farming and afterward bought the old home place in 1874. The same year he was united in marriage to Miss Emma Gill, who was the daughter of Joseph (Porter - sic) Gill. Mr. Gill was an early settler of Crawford County, Il and his daughter, Emma being bereft of a mother's tender care at an early age, was sent to her guardian, where she made her home with a sister, Mrs. WP McClure of Vincennes, Indiana. Here she met Mr. Ten Brook, our subject and became his wife, March 26, 1874. The result of the union was 3 children: Zoe, Glenn and Pearly. After his marriage Mr. TenBrook sold the old home place and in 1877 purchased another place, which he improved and then sold again. In the fall of 1892, he was appointed to the important position of Overseer and Manager of the Poor Farm, which is favorable, located in Adams Township, Section 26. The estate belonging to this institution belonging to this institution comprises 160 acres which are kept in an extraordinarily fine condition, being ably superintended by our subject. The building was erected in 1860 and is a commodious and convenient brick structure in which are 21 inmates at the present time. Mr. Ten Brook is thoroughly respected by all those under his charge and he performs his duties in that capacity to the satisfaction of all. In politics he is a strong Republican and, although he is not a member of any denomination, he contributed liberally toward the support of the church of his town. His wife and daughter are faithful members and active workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church of this place. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 530
TENBROOK, William, a gardener and fruit raiser, Rockville, is the son of William and Jane (BROWN) TenBrook, and was born near Milton, Lycoming County, PA January 3, 1826. His father was born in 1786 and died 1853. His mother was born in 1796 and d 1872. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Tenbrook's grandfather on his father's side came from Holland; on the mother's from Belfast, Ireland; and they both were in the Revolutionary War. In the fall of 1836 Mr. TenBrook moved to Parke Co Indiana and in 1855 moved to Knox Co near Vincennes and lived there till 1863, when he ret. To Parke Co. Mr. TenBrook was married to Martha TAIT on May 18, 1854; she was born 1834. Mr. Tenbrook had the advantages of a common school education, and spent two terms in Bloomingdale Academy. He has been an Odd Fellow 28 years and is a republican in politics. He has a nice home near Rockville, and is an honest and respected citizen.
William TENBROOK has for a number of years devoted his attention largely to market-gardening, raising fruits and vegetables on his fertile farm, comprising 27 acres on Section 12, Adams Township, Parke County. Ever since leaving school, he has been more or less engaged in the nursery business, for a time being in Peru Township, from which place he went to Vincennes. On leaving that place he came to his present farm, where he makes a specialty of raising fine varieties of Irish potatoes. Our subject was born in Lycoming County, PA January3, 1826 and is a son of William Tenbrook, who was born in the same county in 1786. Our subject's grandfather, John was in the War of the Revolution and a resident of New Jersey. Our subject's father married Miss Jane, daughter of William BROWN, a wheelwright by trade, who emigrated from Belfast, Ireland to Lycoming County. In 1837, William Tenbrook, Sr. came in Indiana locating one mile west of Annapolis, on the site of the present town named in his honor. He was one of the early settlers of Penn Township, Parke County where he became the owner of 80 acres. As the years passed he made additional purchases of land and at the time of his death, in 1853, he owned 240 acres. He was a Democrat until the time of the Mexican trouble, when he became affiliated with the Whigs. He was a good farmer and gave his special attention to the care and development of his farm. William Tenbrook, whose name heads this record, is one of five children, three of whom are still living, the others being Garrett D, and Anna, wife of J. I. EPHLIN of Penn Township. Those deceased are John and Charles. Our subject was only a lad of 11 when he came to this county where he grew to manhood. He attended the common schools of the district and also went later to Bloomingdale Academy. After leaving school he engaged in the nursery business as previously stated and has ever since worked along that line. For about 5 years he was a member of the firm of William Tenbrook & Company in the lumber business at Rockville. He owns a good farm, which has upon it a comfortable residence and other buildings. It was in the year 1854 that our subject wedded Miss Martha, daughter of John TATE, who was born and reared at Springfield, Ohio. She is an estimable lady, well educated and, like her husband, has many friends in this locality. In political faith, Mr. Ten Brook is an ally of the Prohibition Party and strongly favors the temperance cause. He belongs to Howard Lodge, IOOF of Rockville of which he has been a member since 1853. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Page 146
TENNANT, Henry E., farmer, Bridgeton, is a brother to Lawrence Tennant, and was born November3, 1856 in Putnam Co. Henry worked at home on the farm till he was 19 years of age, when he left home and hired out. At the age of 20 he bought 155 1/2 acres of land and began farming for himself. he was married December30, 1879, to Sarah Jane MILLER, daughter of Jacob BORN and Elizabeth KERR Miller. She was born in Raccoon Township. Oct. 19, 1852. The parents of Mr. and Mrs.. Tennant are sketched in this work. Henry is a national. Beadle, J. H. . 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers
TENNANT, Richard S., was born in Trenton, NJ in 1765 and in 1776 stood on the courthouse porch when the declaration of independence was proclaimed, and in 1812 he enlisted to fight against the English, although his father was English born. His wife, Elizabeth, was also born in NJ and went to Kentucky. in 1792 where she was married to Richard. In 1830, Mr. and Mrs.. Tennant came to Indiana, Putnam County, and there died. Their son, Elijah Y, was born in Mason County, Kentucky December10, 1822 and came with his parents to Indiana. On June 1, 1852, he married Mary E. CHENOWETH of Putnam Co and bought the paternal farm on which he lived till death, October19, 1862. He was a man quite active in the stock business was a genial spirit always surrounded by friends. he was a strong republican and a member of the Christian Church. His widow, Mary E, was born in Frederick Co, Virginia April 15, 1834 and is the daughter of John W. and Sarah M. (BEATTY) Chenoweth. After the death of Mr. Tennant she was married to Hon. John R. MILLER of Raccoon Township. Lawrence Tennant, of Bridgeton is the son of Elijah Y. and Mary E. Tennant and was born March 12, 1853 in Putnam County, Indiana . He lived there till his mother's marriage when he lived with his mother and stepfather John R. MILLER in Raccoon Township, Parke Co. From his 18th to his 20th year he attended school at Greencastle, and then was engaged as clerk with Daniel Miller in Terre Haute, for ten months. Leaving the store he went to Vermilion County, IL and bought 97 acres of land. On December15, 1874 he was married to Prudence J. (CROOKS) BEATTIE, daughter of Dr. James and Sarah J. (WARD) Crooks. She was born December18, 1853. They lived in Ill. till 1875, when they bought the place, 155 acres, on which they now live. They have two children, Claudie, born January 30, 1876 and Ora A., August 28, 1877. Beadle, J. H. . 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers
THOMAS, Albert L., farmer, Bellmore, was born April 30, 1817 in Saratoga County, New York and is the son of Lyman and Martha (WHITEHEAD) Thomas. He was educated in the common schools and early stood behind the counter. At the age of 21 he became a partner of his father in general merchandising in Harrisburg, Fayette County, Indiana. This firm carried on a business of 25 or 30,000 dollars per year. In 1858 he began farming and in 1852 (sic) moved to Union Township, Parke County Indiana. Mr. Thomas has traveled in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio , Delaware, New York, Vermont, Virginia, Kentucky, and Ill and in company with his brother visited Wabash when that town contained but one house, owned by one HANNA. The way was one trackless wood, and the brothers met a large force of Indians on their way westward. During his business career he made 7 trips across the Alleghany Mountains by stage for the purpose of buying goods. Mr. Thomas was married February 18, 1841 to Harriet DALE of Fayette Co. The fruits of this marriage were 7 children: Ezra, Irvin, Mary F, Martha J, Amzi, who died March 14, 1848 and is buried at Harrisburg; Sanford and Emeline. His wifediedAugust11, 1871 and is bur. at Mt. Moriah. He was married for the second time March 11, 1877 to Sarah E. WRIGHT. Mr. Thomas owns 260 acres of land, with house 40 x 52 and barn 42 x 52, good orchard, and well stocked; also house and lot in Hollandsburg. He was for many years a member of the Missionary Baptist church and during that connection filled the positions of clerk and moderator. He is a staunch republican and in an early day was a Whig. He sent two sons to the civil war while he protected home. During his residence in Union Township. he has taken an active part in progressive movements; aided in locating the schools of the township; filled the office of school trustee 6 years; was president of the Rockville and Bellmore Gravel Road Co. at its organization, and has been a director for several years.
THOMAS, Daniel -- the school of experience is ever fitting men for high and responsible positions. Practical life demands practical men to legislate in a country in which such life is supposed to ruse. Common sense is always practical and the field and shop are especially productive of this trait. The subject of our present thought has been educated in such schools. Muscular and mental exercise have developed the man, Daniel Thomas, stands high among the republicans of the county. He was born February 15, 1814 in Saratoga County, NY and is the son of Lyman and Martha (WHITEHEAD) Thomas, both now deceased. His people came from NY to Fayette County, Indiana in 1825 where his father engaged in merchandising. A t the age of 16 Daniel was apprenticed to learn the carpenter's trade at Connersville, at which trade he worked for some time; but the field had more attractions than the shop. February 14, 1836, he was married to the daughter of Robert L. and Betsy BROADDUS and from this union came a family of 6 children: Lyman, John, William, Betsy and two infants deceased. Mr. Thomas met with the loss of his companion, which was a severe blow to him. May 29, 1850, he married Rosinda, daughter of Joseph and Fannie BARRETT, and by this bond were born to him , Edwin, Samuel, Mollie and Oliver. He has aided his older children to start in the world, providing each with a farm. He now owns 240 acres of land, with 3 dwelling and four barns and plenty of stock. Mr. T. was a Whig prior to 1856 and after that joined the republican ranks. He has always done what he could to forward the legitimate interest of his party. When the present school law was first submitted to the vote of the people Mr. Thomas and Samuel Hart were the only real supports of the measure in their vicinity. In Mr. Jackson's second race for the presidency he was on the opposition. When the civil war broke out he sent two sons to the field, while he remained active at home. In 1875 he was made the candidate for state representative by the republican convention and was elected by 600 majority. He served 2 years and was reelected by as large a majority over both the democratic and greenback aspirants. During his legislative career he aided in reducing the salaries of state and county officers and state taxes, voted to build a female insane asylum, and also to build a state house to cost $2,000,000. He also introduced a bill making an appropriate in the interest of agriculture, which bill being carried, revived the agricultural department and interests. His speech carried both republicans and democrats. Mr. Thomas is not an eloquent stump orator, but rather prefers an audience of one or two at a time, and his influence is felt. The state needs more men of his stamp and character.
THOMAS, Patrick, barber, Rockville, was born at Vincennes, Indiana October 9, 1840. He was the eldest son of John and Margaret (WHITEMAN) Thomas. His mother was born at Natchez, Mississippi. In 1840 his parents moved over into Lawrence County, IL and are still living on the same place on which they originally located. Patrick worked on his father's farm until he became of age, and then began doing for himself, following farm work two years longer. In 1864-65 he was in Chicago attending the Jones school. In December1865, he came to Rockville, looking around for a location, and the next month bought property and took up his permanent residence here. At this time there was but one colored family in the place; they soon moved away, which makes Mr. Thomas the oldest colored resident in Rockville. From the first he devoted himself closely to his business, and during the two first years was not once away from Rockville. By industry and frugality he has accumulated some property; at the same time he has found it in his power, as well as in harmony with his inclination, to dispense his means liberally in private aid and public contribution. In 1865 he heard Frederick Douglas lecture in Chicago in the interest of the Ladies' Loyal League, and having for a number of years read his paper and been in correspondence with him, he at length became deeply interested in the settlement of some of his people here, and as early as 1872 began to encourage a colony of them in NC to emigrate to Rockville. In this same year the exodus began, the first arrival numbering 49 persons and since that time there has been a steady increase of their numbers, perhaps not fewer than 200 having been added in the last 15 months. These people find a ready demand for labor, and they are proving themselves to be an honest, frugal and industrious element of the population. They are developing great interest in their education and in the extension and support of their churches. There can be no question that a bright future awaits them, if they but persevere in the methods they have adopted. To these people Mr. Thomas has been the cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night. He has engaged in the work of inviting them here and of assisting them after they came, with a truly unselfish zeal. Mr. Thomas was the founder of the African ME Church of Rockville; he organized, also, their first Sabbath school, and was for two years its superintendent. He has been equally active in promoting the interests of the colored public school. It was by his own exertions that Frederick Douglass was secured to lecture in Rockville on one occasion to raise money to extend the school from four to six months. Mr. Thomas is a Good Templar and a Mason. He has belonged to the latter order since 1861 and holds his membership in Darn's Lodge at Terre Haute. He was married May 15, 1866 to Angeline BASS daughter Nelson Bass of Vigo Co. She was born November 19, 1844. Their three living children are: Anne B., born October 18, 1868; Margaret born April 4, 1875; Earnest born May 3, 1879.
Zollie THORPE is largely engaged in the dry goods business at Jessup, Parke County. He was born in Shelby County, Kentucky April 9, 1861 to Lee and Eveline Brown Thorpe, who were also natives of Kentucky, were reared, married and died in their native states. They were the parents of 6 children of whom our subject is 5th in order of birth. The other 5: Ransom; Richard P; Thornton T; Clinton B and Lucy d, who became the wife of John H. Miles. Zollie Thorpe was reared upon a farm after the usual manner of farmers sons, receiving only a common education and was early in life left to the cold world to eke out his own subsistence and lay the foundation of his own fortune. How well he succeeded can readily be discerned by those who are his patrons in his mercantile pursuits. Working on a farm in his native state until 1883, he came to Parke Co Indiana and here continued his agricultural pursuits until Jan 1893, when he left the farm and entered the mercantile world, purchasing the general merchandise stock of goods owned by Abraham Sallee. His place of business is in the little hamlet of Jessup. Mr. Thorpe being of a domestic nature, realized that "it was not good for man to be alone," and took until himself a wife in the person of Miss Cora Yowell of this county. They were united in marriage Jan 5, 1888. The fruits of this union are two sons, Clinton C, born December7, 1888; Crawford E, born Feb 7, 1892. These are two bright vivacious little boys, who, with their childish prattle and boyish pranks make home happy. Mr. Thorpe is also the present acting Postmaster as well as resident agent for the Adams Express Co. The duties of these two responsible positions, in connection with his merchandise trade, keep him busy for the greater part of each 24 hours, but being an energetic and ambitious man he accepts the situation and is ever on the alert to do his best for his employee and patrons. He has the only stock of goods in the village and aims to keep such a clean and well-selected lot of goods as is necessary to supply the surrounding community with anything they require. And the best of all this is, he is able to dispose of his goods at prices equal to those of the dealers in adjoining towns and is always willing to receive in exchange not only cash but any and all products the farmers wish to sell and will give to them as high a price as market will admit. Politically this gentleman is a Democrat of the conservative kind, and socially a man of entertaining ability and courtesy. The family residence is nicely located is very large and complete in all its appointments. It is a typical home where love and paternal affection reign supreme. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, 1893, Page 542
TINSLEY, Benjamin A, physician, Catline, was born in Greene Township, Parke County, Indiana July 14, 1840 and is the son of Burton R and Catharine (WARE) Tinsley, both born Shelby County, Kentucky the former in 1807 and the latter 1809. Mr. Tinsley's grandparents were from Virginia and among the very early settlers in Kentucky. They were of English descent and the grandfather of the Dr. was in the Revolutionary War. About 1835 Burton R and Catharine Tinsley emigrated from Kentucky to Green Township, Parke Co In where the Dr. was born. He received his education at Wesley Chapel in Montgomery County, Indiana and at the age of 28 entered the medical department of Ann Arbor, Univ. Leaving college he settled for the practice of his profession at Browns Valley, Montgomery County, where he staid (sic) for four years; at Hillsboro, Fountain County, two and a half years, then came to Catlin, where he has established a lucrative practice. He carries out the principles of his forefathers by voting the republic ticket. Religiously he is Methodist though his parents were members of the Missionary Baptist Church.. He was married to Henrietta JONES of Fountain Co who was born January 17, 1844. They have had two children, one dead and Arthur C, born 1870. Beadle, J. H. . 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana (from Historic notes on the Wabash Valley and History of Vigo & Parke County) Chicago: H. H. Hill & N. Iddings, Publishers
TODD, Samuel M., farmer, Annapolis, was born in Putnam County, Indiana December17, 1829 and came to this county with his parents, Samuel and Sarah (MARTIN) Todd, when 4 years old, and settled here in the green woods, living for some time in a rail pen until they got their cabin built. They entered land in Liberty Township, and Mr. Todd is at present residing on it. In 1854, he was married to Miss Mary Ann BENSON, a daughter of Garrison Benson, who came to this co. from Kentucky at an early day. They have a family of 7 children 6 boys and one girl, all of whom are now living. On the farm is an orchard of over 300 Sugar trees, which yielded last season 200 pounds of sugar and 80 galls on molasses. Mr. Todd has followed farming principally during his life, and has also done considerable wagon making and carpenter work. He has been a lifelong member of the democratic party. Taken from: The 1880 History of Parke County, Indiana. J. H. Beadle. Chicago: H. H. Hill
TOMLINSON, A.D. , Bloomingdale, is a prominent physician and minister of the Society of Friends, and is the son of Moses and Sadra Tomlinson. He was born in Orange County, Indiana, May 12, 18224. His father, being an invalid, the support of a large family was thrown chiefly upon him and a younger brother when they were yet very young. This being the case he was deprived of an early education. He learned the blacksmith trade, and thereby supported himself and accumulated enough money to engage in the mercantile business, in 1853 at Bloomingdale, Indiana. He carried on his business for some time, after which he sold out and engaged in the silversmith trade, which he continued until 1865. In the winter of 1865-6, he attended a course of lectures at Miami Medical College, of Cincinnati, Ohio and graduated there in 1869. Returning to Bloomingdale in that year, the dr. began the practice of his profession, and the accurate knowledge displayed by him soon secured him a large practice. In 1871, he received the appointment of surgeon for the Comanche, Apache and Kiowa Indians of the Indian Territory, which position he resigned after two years. During this time, he labored as missionary under the auspices of the Society of Friends. In 1873, he returned to Bloomingdale, where he has since devoted his time to his profession. Taken from: Page303 History of Parke Co Indiana ; J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880
TOMLINSON , Andrew D., M.D., a leading physician and minister of the Society of Friends, is the elder son of Moses and Sadra Tomlinson. He was born in Orange CO Indiana May 12, 1824. His father being an invalid, the support of a large family was thrown chiefly upon him and a younger brother when they were very young. This being the case, he was deprived of an education, having only attended school 3 months in his whole life. He learned the blacksmith trade, by which he supported himself and accumulated enough money to go into the dry goods business, which he did in 1853 at Bloomingdale, Indiana . He carried on this business, when he sold out and engaged in the jewelry and silversmith trade, which he conducted till 1865. In the winter of 1865 and 66 he attended a course of lectures at Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Oh8io and graduated there in 1869. Returning to Bloomingdale in that year, the Doctor began the practice of medicine and the accurate knowledge of his profession displayed by him at once secured a large and lucrative practice. In 1872 he received the appointment as surgeon for the Comanche, Apache and Kiowa Indians, and he occupied that position for two years, when he resigned. The scene of his labors was in the Indian Territory. During his tenure of office the Dr. also labored as a missionary under the auspices of Soc. of Friends. In his intercourse with the Indians he was particularly fortunate in attaching himself to them and gaining their confidence, going about among them unarmed when every other white man was armed to the teeth. in 1873, he resigned his position and returned to his home in Bloomingdale. Dr. Tomlinson enjoys an enviable reputation in his own home, both as a physician and minister and deserves great credit for gaining from such meager advantages the position in society which he now fills with so much credit. (Taken from: Atlas of Parke County, Indiana. Chicago: AT Andreas, 1874).
Ira N. TOWELL. The worthy citizen whose name introduces this biography owns and resides on 156 acres of Section 32, Township 33 Range 15, Independence Township where he settled on his advent to Montgomery County in 1881. His farm was partly improved by William Atkinson, a former owner and was once owned by the pioneer E. P. Allen. Mr. Towell emigrated to this state from Parke County, Indiana and is one of several of the Friends' sect who made settlement in Montgomery County about that time. Parke County, Indiana is where Ira N. Towell was born April 7, 1856. His father, Isaac Towell was a native of Orange County, same state was born in 1817 and died in Montgomery County Kansas in 1900. Henry Towell, grandfather of our subject was a North Carolina native from Orange Co and one of the early settlers of Orange Co Indiana. he was descended from the early American Quakers and, if it could be traces, no doubt the family has some Colonial history. Isaac Towell married Amy Marshall, daughter of Willia Marshall whose daughter Sarah was Isaac's first wife. By his second marriage Isaac Towell was the father of William H, who died in Union army; Elizabeth E who died single; Elwood H, of Parke County, Indiana; Hiram L. of Fountain county, Indiana; Ruth wife of Ira Hadley of Bolton, Kansas; Sarah who married Llewellyn Bowsher; Ira N. our subject and Lydia who died young. A common school education was all that Ira N. Towell acquired and that in the country school. He passed his majority around the parental hearthstone and when he came to KS his parents accompanied him, his mother dying near Bolton in 1883. January 2, 1885 he married Belle Farlow, a daughter of Joseph Farlow, a worthy citizen of Bolton. Three children have come to cheer and bless the home of Mr. and Mrs. Towell: F. Ernest, born November 18, 1886; Arthur born February 2, 1890; and M. Golda born February 9, 1894. General farming is the industrial line in which Mr. Towell has achieved his success. he has been busy all his life and by this practice has maintained himself unincumbered and able to meet all obligations. He is liberal in politics and is a Woodman. - Jno S Gilmore; H W Young. History of Montgomery County, Kansas. Unknown: L. W. Duncan, 1903,Page 695
Daniel S. TREVEY resides on Section 36, Adams Township, and is a son of Joseph and Rebecca Strickler Trevey. He was born in Rockbridge County, Virginia October 15, 1829. Joseph Trevey is also a native of Virginia was born July 9, 1795 and the son of Joseph Trevey who was also born in Virginia and probably fought in the Revolutionary War, going as a drummer boy but was afterward appointed to the rank of Drum Major. The father of our subject was reared in his native place, where he was given such education as could be obtained at that time in the primitive schools. After his marriage to Miss Strickler he engaged in keeping what is now known as the old Red House Hotel, which is located between Lexington and Fairfield in the Shenandoah Valley. Here he carried on his business for 25 years when he closed out and purchased a farm of 400 acres on North River, which is the present site of Rockbridge, Bath, Va. He lived there until his death September 7, 1859. To Mr. and Trevey were born 4 children, all of whom reached their majority. Those deceased are Jacob who died in the prime of his live and who was a physician; Mary, who married James Randolph and after his deceased married to Dr. Cross. S he die din Virginia. During his lifetime Mr. Trevey was very successful in his enterprises and accumulated much property, which he kept well-cultivated. Daniel Trevey has one sister, Mrs. Virginia Harding, who is the wife of Dr. Harding of California. He was educated in the country schools where he received a fair education in the meantime devoting a portion of his attention to farm work. He chose for a companion in life Miss Mary A. Crist of Augusta Co VA. This lady is the youngest daughter of Abraham Crist who was a farmer and blacksmith by trade. After his marriage Mr. Trevey moved to Rockbridge County, thence to Augusta Co where he lived until the fall of 1865 at the end of which time he came to Parke Co and located 5 miles north of Rockville, Washington Township. Here he engaged in farming for 2 years when he moved to a farm near Rockville and there remained for 3 years. At the expiration of this time he located on a farm belonging to Dr. Rice, where he remained until 1877. At this time he took up his abode on his present farm, and there lived for 3 or 4 years when he moved to an adjoining farm where he remained for 3 years at the end of which time he permanently located on the place where he now resides. Mr. Trevey has been the father of 6 children of whom but one is living, Blanch, who was educated in schools of Rockville and graduate din 1889. When but a child she developed a talent for music and as her father, also was a musician he took great pride in sending Miss Blanch to New York City where she studied and improved her talent in that line. She is also taking vocal culture and is now employed in one of the Reformed Lutheran Churches of that city as the 1st soprano. She also gained distinction by singing in the Metropolitan Opera House & 7th Regiment Armory of the great Metropolis, where she is making a splendid career for herself singing in company with Emma Juch and Anna Burch of whom the papers of that city and vicinity speak in the highest terms of praise. Another sister of Mr. Trevey who is now deceased was the wife of H. H. Rice, who is at present engaged in pharmacy in Rockville. This gentleman was educated in the High School of Terre Haute, the Waveland Academy and soon commenced his profession at Rockville where he continued 3 years. At the end of this time he engaged in farming which industry he has followed since. His wife, who was a member of the Presbyterian Church and faithful member of the Congregation died November 20, 1883. She left two children, Wallace T and Harrison M. at home. Politically Mr. Trevey is a supporter of the Democratic party and good worker in the Presbyterian Church of this place, as was also his father before him. - Portrait & Biographical Record of Montgomery, Parke & Fountain Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Chapman Brothers, Page 520
200 years ago the TRUEBLOOD family was founded in the United States by two brothers, John and Amos Trueblood, whose father; John spent his entire life in England. The brothers settled in what is now known as Guilford County, North Carolina and their descendants have located in every part of the Union. They are of sturdy and highly respectable stock; for the most part are tillers of the soil and as far as known are adherents of the Republican Party formerly being Abolitionists and Whigs. In their religious faith they have been loyal exponents of the doctrines of the Society of Friends, exemplifying its grand precepts in their daily lives. Amos Trueblood was the great great grandfather of Professor Trueblood. He died in North Carolina as did likewise his son Caleb, the next in the line of descent. William, son of Caleb and grandfather of our subject was born near New Garden, Guilford County, North Carolina and came to Washington County, Indiana in 1810. Remaining there for 40 years he then took up his residence in Oskaloosa, Iowa where his death took place in 1868, when he was about 90. Following in the footsteps of his ancestors, he was a farmer and devoted member of the Friends Society. The parents of W. N. Trueblood were Elias and Elizabeth Kelley Trueblood. The father was born in Washington County, Indiana in 1816, and died 1861 in Parke County thus having spent his whole life in the two counties his attention given to farming. His wife was a daughter of Joshua Kelley, who was born near Knoxville, Tennessee and at an early date located in Washington County, Indiana where he engaged in farming. In his religious belief he was a Presbyterian. Of the five children born to Elias Trueblood and wife, only the eldest, Levi is deceased. Joshua, now a retired citizen of Topeka, Kansas was formerly engaged in the flour and feed business. Mrs. Martha Overman, the only daughter, lives in the western part of Kansas. Jesse D, a graduate of the literary and law departments of the Indiana State University, successfully practiced his profession of law till appointed government agent of pensions for the district of Tennessee which position he held for about 4 years. His present home is in Danville, Illinois. The birth of Professor William N. Trueblood occurred at the home of his parents near Rockville, Parke County, Indiana March 22, 1846. He received his literary training Parke County, Indiana March 22, 1846. He received his literary training in Bloomingdale Academy in his native county and in Earlham College. Prior to entering the last named institution he had taught in the public schools and had been first assistant to the principal of Bloomingdale Academy two years having been thus occupied. In 1873 he was graduated in Earlham with the degree of Bachelor of Arts and during the winter following he pursued a special course in rhetoric and elocution under Professor G. W. Hoss of the Indiana State University. In 1875 he accepted the chair of English literature in Earlham College and, with his the exception of the 4 years, from 1879 to 1882 inclusive he has occupied this position. During the period specified he was the principal of the Montezuma schools for one year, filled a similar position in Coloma and in 1882 was the teacher of mathematics and the sciences in the high school of Richmond, Indiana. In connection with his profession he has been for a number of years a lecturer before institutes and other bodies, chiefly on subjects connected with literature in which he stands among the foremost educators of the state. He has been a life long student of political economy and is considered particularly well informed on the subject. He is a Republican in national affairs while in local matters independent. He belongs to the Society of Friends, taking deep interest in its more liberal tendencies. On the 8th of August 1878 Professor Trueblood married Miss Ruth Emma Stubbs of Richmond. They have 5 children: Wilford; Inez; Howard; Ralph and Charles, all of whom except Charles are in college. - Biographical and genealogical history of Wayne, Fayette, Union and Franklin Counties, Indiana. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1899, Page 441
TUCKER, J.P. , M.D., farmer and stock raiser, Annapolis, one of the leading physicians of Parke County, was born in Wayne County, NY February 26, 1819. His father, George Tucker, was a farmer, and the doctor's childhood was spent on a farm in the town of Williamson, NY. In the fall of 1831, his parents removed to Parke County, making the entire trip in a wagon, being 6 weeks on the road. The Dr. remained at home until 19 years of age, when he started for himself, working on a farm for $13 per month. In early life he had developed a wonderful knack for nursing the sick and his family urged him to study medicine. At first he was very much averse to it, but eventually concluded to conform to the wishes of his friends. From 1835 till 1846, Dr. Tucker studied medicine, supporting himself, meanwhile by trading in general produce, and carrying his merchandise to New Orleans in flatboats. In the winters of 1847 and 1848 he attended lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago. From this time until 1858 Dr. Tucker practiced continually, and by his skill as a physician soon gained a wide reputation. In 1858, the doctor concluded to retire from practice, but his old friends and patients would not consent to employ any other physician and he has continued to practice among his friends and neighbors. Dr. T. is emphatically a self-made man, and well deserved the esteem and respect of his friends and neighbors. He is one of the charter members of Annapolis lodge of Good Templars, and has worked long and faithfully in the cause. He is also a prominent Mason and has been elected 17 consecutive times master of the lodge to which he belongs. On October6, 1844, he married Miss Louisa L. WILLIAMS who died in 1854. He was married again in 1856, to Miss Mary J. FLOYD. Taken from: Page290 History of Parke Co Indiana ; J. H. Beadle, Chicago: H. H. Hill, 1880 - TUCKER, James P., M.D., one of the leading physicians of Parke County, was born in Wayne County, NY February 26,1 819. His father, George Tucker was a farmer and his childhood was spent on a farm and in the town of Williamson, NY. In the fall of 1831, he moved with his father to Parke County, Indiana making the entire trip in a wagon and being six weeks en route. He lived at home till he was 19 when he started out for himself and worked on a farm for $13 per month. In the following year, 1839, he was prostrated with a low form of fever peculiar to the Wabash Country, and was confined to the house for 4 months. In early life he had developed a wonderful knack for nursing the sick, and his family urged him to study medicine. At first he was very much averse to it, but eventually concluded to conform to the wishes of his friends. Form 1835 till 1846, Dr. Tucker studied medicine, supporting himself meanwhile by trading in general produce, and carrying his merchandise to New Orleans in flat boats. In the winters of 1847 and 1848, he attended lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago. From this time until 1858, Dr. T. practiced continuously and by his skill as a physician soon gained a wide reputation. In 1858, the doctor concluded to retire, but his old patients and friends would not consent to employ any other physician, and he has continued to practice up to the present writing 1874, taking, however no new customers, and confining his practice, as far as possible to his friends and near neighbors. At present the Dr. is engaged in stock raising and farming. Dr. T. is emphatically a self-made man and well deserves (which he has) the esteem and respect of his friends and neighbors. Dr. T. was one of the charter members of Annapolis Lodge of Good Templars and has worked long and faithfully in the cause, rendering most efficient service. He is also a prominent Mason and has been elected 16 consecutive times Master of the Lodge to which he belongs. On the 6th Day of Oct. 1844, Dr. T. was married to Miss Louisa L. WILLIAMS by whom he has 4 children. In 1854, his first wife d., and he was again married in 1856 to Miss Mary J. FLOYD who has borne him 6 children. Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co Atlas of Indiana Centennial, 1874, Page36. - James P. TUCKER was born in NY in 1819. In 1831, he came with his father to Parke Co. At the age of 19 he started out for himself and worked on a farm. From 1835 to 1846 he studied medicine and became a successful practitioner. He finally located on a farm north of Roaring Creek in Penn Township and made a success at that and stock raising. He was one of the oldest Masons in that township, being elected Master of his lodge 16 consecutive times. Taken from the Historical Sketch of Parke Co Atlas of Indiana Centennial, 1816-1916, Page121.
William M. TURNER, an honored soldier and pioneer now residing in Granite Falls, Washington one of the original locators of that city's town site was born in Parke County, Indiana January 22, 1840. He is the son of David H. Turner, a native of North Carolina born in Guilford County in 1820. Going to Indiana in boyhood the elder Turner spent the rest of his life within its boundaries his death occurring in 1850. The mother Zerilda Manwaring Turner was born in Indiana and died 1859, age 31. Of her four children, two are living, William M and Mrs. Martha E. Hanks, the latter of whom is now a resident of Honolulu. Like many of the most successful men, William M. Turner is self-education. At age 12 he was obliged to support himself by working in a flour mill but he diligently improved all his leisure hours, thus securing a practical and thorough training for the active duties of life. When the call came for volunteers in 1861, he was one of the first to respond enlisting in the 9th Indiana Battery, Light Artillery under Capt. N. S. Thompson. His first service was rendered at the battle of Shiloh. During the summer of 1864 he was with General Banks on his Red River Expedition and for 44 consecutive days was either fighting or under enemy fire. That he escaped from this terrible experience without even a scratch seems almost miraculous. While returning home on the steamboat Eclipse, he was a victim of the frightful boiler explosion that occurred at Johnsonville, Tennessee in which 35 out of 72 members of his company on board were killed. Fortunately he escaped, but with the loss of an eye. He was mustered out in Indianapolis March 6, 1865 and at once began farming. In the fall of 1868 he drove through to Kansas and took up a claim in Woodson County later going to Cherokee County where he farmed till 1880. He then resumed his travels across the continent stopping this time at Walla Walla, Washington. Two years later he sold his property there and drove to Portland, Oregon. Going thence by boat to Toledo, he then made the remainder of the journey to Seattle with his team. After teaming two years he went to Snohomish in 1884 and hence up the river to Machias. Later that same spring he located land on the present site of Granite Falls, but being unable to reach it with a wagon, he and his family lived in Machias from April until August while he was cutting a road six miles in length to reach his claim. With the exception of another family that came at the same time, the nearest neighbors were at Hartford. His first cabin, made of split cedar logs is still standing. For some time his only occupation was making shingles by hand, which he hauled to Snohomish there being no store or post office nearer than that for six years. Granite Falls as a town, came into existence in 1890. A post office was opened about that item and Mark Swinnerton of Marysville erected the first store. A school had been organized in 1888. Until 1894 Mr. Turner farmed his property, but at that time he platted it as part of the town site and retired from active labor. Mr. Turner married March 22, 1866 Martha E. Hendren a native of Mercer County, Kentucky born April 10, 1849. Her father, Starling B. Hendren who was born in West Virginia in 1808 served during the Civil War in the 9th Kentucky Cavalry. He also had two sons, Andrew and Starling in the 19th. His death occurred in Kentucky in 1894. The mother, Mary Saunders Hendren, a Kentuckian died April 4, 1861 aged 50. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hendren came of Virginia pioneer families. Mr. and Mrs. Turner have 5 children: Mrs. Margaret Griffin of San Francisco whose husband is largely interested in Goldfields, Nevada; John D. of Arlington, WA; Mrs. Daisy Robe, of Granite Falls; Edward R, of Livingston Montana and Walter of Granite Falls. Mr. Turner is a prominent member of the William hall Post No. 107, Grand Army of the Republic and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a well known Republican, loyally serving his party's interests. He was the first election inspector in Granite Falls and held the office of deputy assessor 8 years. Mr. Tutner claims the distinction of having cast the first ballot in the town. A man of splendid business ability and unquestioned integrity, a hardy pioneer of undaunted courage, he enjoys the unbounded confidence of a host of loyal friends and acquaintances. - An Illustrated history of Skagit and Snohomish Counties : their people, their commerce and their resources : with an outline of the early history of the state of Washington. Interstate Publishing Company, 1906, Page 1063