Penn Township, Parke County Indiana
"From the History of Vigo and Parke Counties, together with Historic Notes on the Wabash Valley, Gleaned from early authors, old maps and manuscripts, private and official correspondence, and other authentic, though for the most part, out-of-the-way sources. By H. W. Beckwith, of the Danville Bar; Corresponding Member of the Historical Societies of Wisconsin and Chicago. Chicago: H. H. Hill and N. Iddings, Publishers. 1880." (Pages 274 - 285)
Penn township is situated in the north center of the county, and is of more recent date as a township than the other divisions of the county, having been formed in 1854, of parts of Liberty, Reserve and Sugar Creek townships, and in shape resembles the letter T. It contains twenty-one full and five half sections (the latter being situated on the north line) in T. 15 and 16 N., R. 7 W. Its boundaries are Liberty and Sugar Creek townships on the north, Howard and Washington on the east, Adams and Reserve on the south, and on the west Liberty and Reserve. The two business centers, Annapolis and Bloomingdale, are situated within its borders and attract a great deal of business from other parts of the county. A very compact and tenacious white or ash-colored clay is found immediately below the coal measures in this township, which runs by almost imperceptible gradations into clay shale. It is at present used for making a kind of pottery known as stoneware, and produces a very desirable article. This clay is worked at shops at Annapolis. If care were taken to select only the fine white kind of clay and ground felspar used for glazing, in place of salt, a white ware of durability and beauty might be produced here equal to that manufactured in eastern cities. The soil of this township is a rich clay loam, which yields large crops of wheat, corn and other cereals; the surface being slightly rolling, with sufficient fall to admit of thorough drainage, and is fenced off into large and carefully cultivated farms. The land in the northern part on each side of Sugar creek is very broken and picturesque. Rocky Hollow and other favorite resorts of tourists being in this vicinity. Sugar, Leatherwood and Roaring creeks, flow through this territory, on the banks of which numerous mills and other establishments are located. The construction of the gravel road from Rockville to Annapolis, and the building of the Indianapolis, Danville & Southern railroad, which runs across the township, having a station at Bloomingdale, have both helped greatly in developing the interests of this neighborhood, which the addition of a north and south railroad now in process of construction will greatly increase. Though one of the smallest divisions of the county, it ranks fourth in population according to the census of 1880. The value of real estate by the same returns is $478,180, and of personal property $176,885. It is peopled with an enterprising and intelligent class of citizens, who take great interest in education and religion, the majority being members of the Society of Friends.
North Carolina furnished most of the pioneer families who settled in Penn township and made the wilderness blossom as the rose. They were men who with strong arms and stout hearts had been endeavoring to snatch a living from the poor and stony soil of that state, and struggling against the adverse influences of slavery, at that time existing there. That institution interfered to a great extent with the moral and social comforts of the citizens who were unable or unwilling to own slaves, while the slaveholders, being the upper class, wielded such influence in the legislature, and in the administration of public affairs, as to make it uncomfortable and embarrassing to those who objected to it. Hence it was natural that those freedom-loving citizens should be on the outlook for a more congenial place of residence, and that the opening of the northwestern territory which had been dedicated to freedom by the act of 1787, a large exodus should take place. So we find them arriving here with all their possessions in a wagon, happy when they had money enough to enter a piece of land, even if they had not a cent left for future use. Among the first arrivals in this township was that of Perley Mitchell, who came about 1823 and was shortly followed by the Tenbrooks and others, the great bulk of the settlers arriving in 1824-5, the most of whom were members of the Society of Friends; prominent among the names of which are those of Simon and Thomas Rubottom, Payton Wilson, Jacob Hocket, J. N. and Adam Siler, William and Jonathan Pickard, Jerry Mote, Mahlon Reynolds, Samuel Kelly and others. In 1829 John Woody and his sons, James and Thomas, settled here and were soon followed by Joseph Finney, James Nelson, Stephen Kersey, William Hunt and Eli and James McDaniel.
About 1825 or 1826 the village of Annapolis was first settled, and shortly afterward the ground was cleared off by William Maris and John Moulder. About the same time Bloomingdale, at that time known as Bloomfield, was originated. Seeing that the two villages could not both succeed in the then sparsely settled state of the country, efforts were made to have the two unite their interests and locate a town on a neutral site; this, however, failed, Annapolis refusing to leave her first choice. A few years after the laying off of the village the first store was opened by Thomas Woody, the next being started by a company consisting of Wm. Maris, John Moulder, and Aaron Maris. The first blacksmith was Thomas Woody, and the first harness-maker John Moulder, while Dr. Mackey, father of Dr. Mackey of Russell's Mills, was the first physician. The first postmaster was either John Moulder or Wm. Holliday, the present incumbent being John D. Connelly. The business interests now comprise two dry-goods and grocery stores, one drug store, two blacksmith and one harness shop, two wagon shops, a pump factory, saw and planing mill, a pottery, and a few other smaller establishments.
The Methodists have a handsome meeting-house here, which was built about 1850, Rev. H. Smith being the organizer of the congregation. The membership is now over one hundred, with the Rev. McLain as pastor.
The United Brethren meeting-house, 30x40 feet, was erected in 1868 or 1869, the congregation having been organized in 1840 at a point a mile east of the village, in Washington township, by Isaac Pickard and John Ephlin.
The upper stories of both of the meeting-houses are used as lodge-rooms, that over the Methodist church being occupied by the I.O.O.F., the Masonic fraternity holding their meetings in the room over the United Brethren meeting-house.
Annapolis Lodge, No. 127, A. F. and A. M., was chartered May 26, 1852, and in the year of Masonry 5852, the first officers and charter members being W.M., John M. Wadding, S.W., Edward D. Laughlin, J.W., James P. Tucker, treasurer, John D. Gifford, secretary, John S. Dare; Simon Vestal, John Kelly, L. B. Dunigan, C. N. Harding, David Best, William Sweeney, R. A. Coffin. The society now numbers forty-five members, and is in a prosperous condition, having now in office: W.M., Joseph C. Vickery; S.W., John T. Cole; secretary, John Kelly.
Annapolis Lodge, No. 431, LO.O.F. The charter of this organization is dated January 7, 1874. The first officers and charter members are as follows: N.G., J. D. Connelly; V.G., R. W. H. McKey; treasurer, Wyatt Morgan; secretary, John J. Garrigus; warden, Miles Ratcliffe; William and Samuel Brooks. All of the above, except the first mentioned, are now members of Park Lodge, in Sugar Creek township, they having left to form that institution. The present officers of this lodge, which now numbers twenty-three members, are: N.G., James M. Gossett; V.G., John M. McIntyre; secretary, Omar O. Hall: treasurer, R. J. Jones. The society is in splendid working order, with great interest manifested in the objects of the order.
A graded school is in operation in a handsome two-story frame building, erected in 1873 during the trusteeship of Jesse Connelly. The present trustee is William Welch.
Bloomfield, as it was first named, was first started about 1825 or 1826, south of the present site of the village, where the first store was opened in a log building by William Pickard, his son John opening a drug store, it being through the efforts of the latter that the village was begun. Annapolis gradually took all the trade away from this point, until the village once more woke up and took a second growth, rivaling her neighbor on the north, and finally passed her in the race. The gravel road was built in 1864, greatly helping the town, while the construction of the Indianapolis, Decatur & Springfield railroad in 1873, which passed through the township a short distance north of Bloomingdale, placed her another stride in advance. Most of the business establishments were moved north to the railroad, where a station was opened.
This popular institution of learning was organized in 1846 as the Western Manual Labor School, to furnish a thorough education for young persons of both sexes, and give them an opportunity to pay for their tuition in labor on the farm and in the workshops of the institution. It originated with the Society of Friends in this neighborhood, and has remained a strictly denominational organization throughout its entire career, never having received a cent of public money in any shape or form. The school is in charge of a committee appointed by the Western Quarterly Meeting of Friends, of which James Siler, Exam Morris, William Pickard, Solomon Allen and Alfred Hadley have been the most prominent members and were reappointed for years. The real estate of the institution originally comprised forty acres, and a suitable building was erected thereon, which in 1848 was destroyed by fire but shortly afterward rebuilt. It was soon discovered that the manual labor system, which was very good in theory, was not at all practicable on the small scale here tried; so it was abandoned, the name of the school changed to the Bloomingdale Academy, and the land, with the exception of fifteen acres which now form the campus of the academy, was sold. Those who have filled the position of principal are B. C. Hobbs, John Chawner, Seth Hastings, Thomas Armstrong and Josiah P. Edwards, the latter being the present occupant of the chair. The staff of teachers has varied from two to five, according to the number of pupils in attendance, which varies with the season of the year, the largest attendance being during the winter months The buildings are extensive and commodious, and present a very handsome appearance located in the midst of the beautiful campus, in the shade of handsome forest trees. The academy has an extensive and valuable library, and possesses an endowment fund of between six and seven thousand dollars.
Penn Lodge, No. 87, Knights of Pythias, was organized November 1879- the following being the first officers and charter members: and chancellor, G. B. Chapman; vice-chancellor, K. Vickery ; keeper of records and seals, W. H. Nelson; master-alarms, David Stout; prelate, J. E. Woodard : master of exchequer, W. F. Graham; master of finance, H. C. Nelson: J. W. Chapman, James Nelson. The Lodge now has a membership of twenty-seven, and considering the short time it has been in existence has made rapid progress. The present officers are grand chancellor, K. Vickery; vice-chancellor, James Nelson; master-at-arms, David Stout; prelate, J. E. Woodard; master of finance, H. C. Nelson; keeper of records, W. H. Nelson.
The early settlers in this neighborhood carded and spun their own wool by hand, the cards being fastened on two pieces of board about a, foot long and five or six inches wide, with handles in the center. The wool was put on one of them with the hand, and when carded enough the back was used to take the roll off. About 1825 Perley Mitchell started a carding machine, and it was but a short time until several others were put in operation. The machines in use at that time were similar to those now existing. The rolls were about two feet long and when carded were rolled up in a sheet or blanket, being pinned together with thorns, and weighed from ten to forty pounds. These were generally carried home on a horse in front of the rider, where they were spun on what was known as the big wheel. From twelve to forty cuts was a day's work, the pay for spinning warp being sixteen and two-thirds cents, and for filling twelve and a half cents per dozen cuts, and for carding rolls with machinery ten to twelve and a half cents per pound. The wages paid for weaving were for plain ten cents per yard; for twilled twelve and a half cents, from three to five yards being a day's work. Two hands, with machinery, could easily card and spin 100 dozen per day of as coarse yarn as was used at that time, and one girl with a power loom could weave from thirty to sixty yards per day. Every woman understood the art of dyeing all colors perfectly, excepting blue, which was more difficult to manage, and was governed by luck or the sign. The colors were obtained from various barks, those principally in use being walnut, which produced the favorite brown color, yellow from black oak bark, and swamp ash for drab. About the year 1834 Mahlon Reynolds erected a fulling establishment in partnership with Jerry Siler on Sec. 23, on Leatherwood creek. The machinery, which consisted of a shearing machine, press plate, screw-press papers, and copper dye kettle, which would contain about sixty gallons, having been brought from Dayton, Ohio, a special trip having been made there by Todd Maxwell, with a two-horse wagon to purchase them, and who afterward rented the mill and conducted it for several years. The fulling-mill was run by a water wheel and the shearing machine by hand. The following is a list of the prices-charged: fulling, coloring and dressing cloth, twenty-five cents per yard; without dressing, twenty cents. Coloring and scouring flannel, ten cents. Coloring and fulling janes, ten cents. For several years the dyestuff was hauled in wagons to the mill from Dayton, Ohio.
About the year 1827 Simon Rubottom built a grist-mill on Leather-wood creek, on Sec. 23, the millwright being an old man named Antony. The machinery consisted of an undershot wheel and one run of burrs, or nigger-heads, - each burr in a single piece without any plaster about them. The bolt was a single reel, twelve or fourteen feet long, enclosed in a chest, and was operated by hand. The flour, middlings and shorts, fell into the chest, the bran coming out at the end. The miller separated the flour, middlings and shorts with a wooden shovel, the former being afterward carried upstairs in a half-bushel measure to the bolting hopper. The building was a rough affair, constructed of logs, without chinking or daubing, and no floor except a little around the hopper. When a tire was needed it was made on the ground, and the smoke allowed to escape through the cracks.
The first saw-mill in this vicinity was erected by Perley Mitchell on Leatherwood creek, in 1826. The next by Isaiah Pemberton, half a mile above, on the same creek, in 1828. The latter was a failure on account of insufficient fall, and was shortly afterward removed and rebuilt on the other side of the creek, by William Pearson, in 1829. The next was constructed by Adam Siler, in 1831, half a mile above the last mentioned one, which could be operated about six months in the year during the first few years, but as the country was improved and drained the water passed off more rapidly, thus shortening the sawing season. The mills of Mitchell and Siler failed about 1845; that of Pearson was kept in operation until 1862. From 500 to 800 feet per day was considered a good day's work with those mills, and such was the rush of business that they were often run all night, and frequently on Sunday. Saw-logs were generally hauled during the winter on sleds drawn by oxen, some few of the settlers having horse teams, the harness upon them being of the most primitive description, consisting of shuck collars, home-made rope harness, destitute of iron, with the exception of the bridle-bits; also a rope log chain (?). The prices for sawing were twenty-five cents per one hundred feet for poplar and thirty-seven and a half for hard timber. Lumber sold at the mills at from fifty to sixty-two and a half cents per one hundred feet, and had a dull sale at that, until the prairies west of the Wabash began to be settled, when large quantities were sold. The first steam saw-mill was built by Jeremiah Siler, one-fourth of a mile south of Bloomingdale, about 1860.
In 1848 a mill was erected at the Devil's Den, on Sugar creek, in Sec. 36, by Prior Wright, whose store at the Narrows had been washed away by the freshet of the previous year. A large business was done at this point during the operation of the canal, the boats reaching this point by the feeder. The large mill of Deer, Canine & Coy is now situated at this place, known as Rockport mills.
About 1837 William G. Coffin erected a foundry on Leatherwood creek, two and one half miles northwest of Bloomingdale, where he manufactured the first cast plow used in this part of the state. Owing to its being heavy and clumsy it never became a favorite, and was soon driven out of the market.
Another of the leading industries in this part of the country was flatboat building. The first built was in the winter of 1833-34, at the narrows of Sugar creek, and immediately afterward at Cox's boat-yard three miles below. The next established was Campbell & Tenbrooks, at what is now known as Rockport mill, then going by the name of the Devil's Den. A few years later the business was carried on extensively at Jessup's mill, on Mill creek, at Coffin's boat-yard, where the old foundry stood, and at several other points above the narrows of Sugar creek. At the time Mr. John Kelly, to whom we are indebted for the most of the information on this subject, engaged in the business, in 1833, at Cox's boat-yard, the usual dimensions of boats was sixty feet long and sixteen feet wide. He was advised by old boat builders not to exceed that size on account of the danger and difficulty of getting them out of Sugar creek, it being a crooked and rapid stream. This advice, coming from men older and of more experience than himself, he accepted as sound doctrine until his own experience taught him different. Mr. Kelly states that the most difficult boat to manage he ever handled was fifty feet long and twelve feet in width, while the easiest one he ever run out of Sugar creek was eighty-five feet long by eighteen in width. About the average price of a boat sixty feet long, delivered in the Wabash, was $100, the size of the gunnels, to secure a ready sale, being thirty inches at the bow-rake, which was the largest part, and ten inches thick. A tree suitable for gunnels used to cost from $1 to $5, according to distance from the yard, the tree being split into the necessary size where felled, and the gunnel logs hauled by oxen to the boat-yard. When the boat is framed and ready for the bottom, the planks are fastened in their places with wooden pins, it requiring from 1,000 to 1.200 of them to complete the job. It requires 7,000 feet of lumber to build a sixty-foot flatboat, and this must be all first class, as there is no place where inferior lumber can be used except in the false floor. From twelve to twenty pounds of hemp are required to calk a boat of this size, after which was done the vessel was ready for launching. The boats were built from three and a half to four feet above the gunnel, and sided up with two-inch plank, the same as the bottom, the roof, which had a pitch of sixteen inches, being covered with five-eighths-inch boards. The vessels were run out of the creek with two oars, one at the bow and one at the stern, none being used on the side while in the creek except upon going over dams when the water was low, when it was necessary to get up as much headway as possible, that being the safest method. The steering oar is made the same length as the boat, and so constructed as to balance in the middle. The steersman stands, or rather walks, on a bridge in the center of the vessel, so that by the time he reached New Orleans he would would walk a great many miles from one side of the boat to the other while steering her on her course. At the date of the first construction of flatboats here the cargoes consisted entirely of corn and pork, but a few years later freights of wheat, flour, lumber, staves, hoop-poles, potatoes, poultry and live hogs became common. The amount of ear corn which a sixty-foot boat would carry was 1,800 bushels, but there was a constantly increasing demand for larger boats, and before the business went out of existence boats were built which would carry double that amount.
Among the first blacksmiths in the township were Jack Husband, a colored man, John Rubottom, and Thomas Woody. At that early period the common smith was expected to make edged tools, such as axes, chisels, drawing-knives, adzes, etc., besides making horse-shoes, and repairing all kinds of ironwork. Rigid economy was practiced with iron and steel in those days; wagons were constructed with as little of it as possible, those most in use being the North Carolina and Virginia vehicles. Horse-shoes were manufactured by splitting wide bare of iron into pieces one inch wide, one-half inch thick and seven inches long for small, and eight inches long for large horse-shoes, which were afterward rounded and fitted. There was great care exercised in collecting scraps of iron to he welded together from which to make shoes, the nails being usually made from worn-out shoes and discarded tires. The price for shoeing a horse all round was 62 1/2 cents, if the owner furnished the iron; if supplied by the smith the price was $1 or $1.25. Up to 1849 all smith-work was performed with charcoal, and the introduction of stone-coal was closely watched by the smiths, the idea being that its intense heat and sulphurous flames would damage the metal to such an extent that it would be impossible to make horse-shoe nails from the worn implements which had been forged with it. In this year, 1849, it was proved that steel could be welded by heat from stone-coal without damaging the metal, and that one bushel of it would produce as much heat as four bushels of the other. This was a great step forward, the process of making charcoal being a slow and laborious system.
THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS IN PARKE COUNTY
For the following information regarding the Society of Friends we are indebted to the Hon. Robert Kelly, who has devoted a great deal of time and thought to the subject.
The first meeting of Friends held in Parke county took place at the residence of Adam Siler in 1825, and were kept up at that point for about a year, when the settlement at Bloomfield and Rocky Run began to assume shape; then the place of meeting was changed to the house of Simon Rubottom, where they continued until 6th month, 5th, 1826, At this date the first meeting-house was erected and a preparative meeting established by the authority of the Honey Creek monthly meeting. Jeremiah Siler and Mary Kelly were the clerks of this preparative meeting, the records of which up to the 12th month, 1st, 1827 have been lost.
Bloomfield monthly meeting was established 12th month, 1st, 1827, by an order of the Blue River quarterly meeting, dated at Lick Creek, Orange county, 10th month, 27th, 1827. The committee having charge of its establishment were John Bray, J. Jones, James Rhodes, J. Hadley, and C. Hill, who appointed the first 7th day in each month for meeting. -At this meeting M. Kelly, Payton Wilson, N. Newlin, S. Allen, and Isaiah Pemberton were appointed to have the meeting-house grounds surveyed, and a graveyard staked off, and M. Reynolds, John Newlin, and Isaiah Pemberton were appointed trustees of the house. The first representatives to the yearly meeting from this point were Jesse Hockett, James Siler, and M. Reynolds. At the monthly meeting held 2d month, 2d, 1828, M. Kelly and J. Siler were appointed to receive and report accounts of sufferings to the meeting. The sufferings here alluded to were such as originated from fines collected by law from members in indigent circumstances for nonconformity to the military laws of the state, which at that time, and for several years afterward, required every able-bodied citizen between the ages of eighteen and forty-five to muster at stated periods, or on the call of the proper officers, failure to respond being punished by fine. Friends, to be consistent with their well known peace principles, refused to pay, or directly or indirectly to give up property, hence they were more or less annoyed, and sometimes distressed, by the loss of indispensable articles which the poorer members could not of themselves replace. This being brought to the notice of the yearly meeting, it, true to its principles, came to the relief of the distressed, and itself bore the burdens; and the more successfully to accomplish this it required each monthly meeting to appoint a committee to take cognizance of all cases of distress within their respective limits, and report, when they were forwarded to the meeting for sufferings, which furnished the proper relief.
Another serious trouble which the early Friends had to contend with was that difference of opinion on a doctrinal phase denominated Hicksism, which resulted in a widespread and damaging separation under the leadership of Elias Hicks. On the peculiar doctrine set forth by this new sect the following article on the subject, by Prof. B. C. Hobbs, of Bloomingdale, is very explicit:
“THE CAUSES WHICH LED TO THE HICKSITE SEPARATION”
BY PROF. B. C. HOBBS.
Sixty years ago the New Testament was common as a school book, but a complete copy of the Bible was not often to be found in the families of Friends. When read it was not expected to be explained except by ministers, and as a consequence there was a great indefiniteness in the religious opinions of too many on doctrinal subjects.
They accepted the opinions of those in whom they had confidence when they were positively asserted, and capable and plausible men had great influence in society.
The Society of Friends at this time was distinguished, as it ever has been, for benevolence, temperance and the social virtues. They were practical Christians. This lack of establishment in Christian faith rendered the hearts of too many a favorable soil for the seeds of heresy to take root and bring forth evil.
About the years 1818 to 1825-8 Elias Hicks, a man who embraced in his character the appearance, language and manners of the straightest •of his sect, and was most sympathetic and benevolent toward the poor, the afflicted and the oppressed, was known to advance sentiments which undervalued the mediatorial offices and atoning merits of Christ, often spoke of Him as only a good man. That the Holy Spirit was in Him as it is in us; that His death and sufferings on Calvary were no value to us only as an example in a devoted life; that His blood was only a metaphor meaning His life or the life of the Holy Spirit He denied the existence of a devil or an evil agent apart from man's passions, and taught that we are all by nature like Adam in the creation, and fall like he did; that the account in Genesis of the creation, the fall of our first parents, and the garden of Eden, were figurative an unreal; that we must be saved alone by the Holy Spirit in us; an that the scriptures were not all inspired; such as were written b inspiration of God are to be believed ; such as were not are of no more binding authority than other books; and that each must judge for himself.
His plausible and winning manners and persuasive eloquence led many unsuspecting men and women astray. Many saw the error of his teaching from the beginning, and gave timely warning. Some took one side and some the other. The controversy waxed earnest, and: culminated in a separation, in 1828, in several yearly meetings in America, beginning in New York and ending in Indiana. Meetings, families and friends were divided. Wounds were made never to be healed. Some were led on in the separation by their love of a libertine faith while others were influenced by the strong ties of friendship and relations.
There are some still living who can remember the work of dark angel. Such recur to it with sad hearts.
The effects of this separation were, however, not without some good. It stirred up the whole society to an earnest searching for the faith once delivered to the saints, and from that day to this the Society of Friends have held a sound faith in the doctrines of redemption by the blood of the Lord Jesus and by the spirit of our God.
Although the date of the beginning of this trouble in the United States was some years prior to the settlement of Friends here, yet its first appearance in this part of Indiana was not until 1828. A paper was prepared that year by the Indiana yearly meeting directed to each monthly meeting on this subject, in which, among other things, the doctrine of Friends was clearly and fully set forth. This paper was read at Bloomfield monthly meeting, 3d month, 1st, 1828, which endorsed it and took action, confirming its acceptance by an order that be spread upon the record, and by the appointment of a standing committee to look after certain spurious books and pamphlets, purporting to contain the doctrines of Friends, which were being circulated. It is a fact worthy of note that while almost every section of the country, from Canada to Virginia and from Vermont to Illinois, was convulsed with the elements of Hicksism, within the limits of Parke county proper there was scarcely a ripple. In the monthly meeting held 5th month, 2d, 1829, the representatives of the quarterly meeting produced three copies of Evans' Exposition and a testament as a donation from Philadelphia yearly meeting, and other books having accumulated which were Intended for the use of the members, a committee was appointed to establish a library and appoint a librarian, they recommending Wm, Pickard for the position. Rules were afterward adopted for the government of the library, and at various times valuable additions have been made to it by purchase and donation, among others being a present of several important works and pamphlets from England and Philadelphia, consisting of 140 volumes, and 15 volumes purchased by the librarian, Philip Siler.
The establishment of White Lick quarterly meeting was made on the third 7th day in 2d month, 1831. White Lick, Fairfield, Bloomfield and Vermilion monthly meetings joining in the request
The first proposition for the establishment of the Western quarterly meeting came from Sugar River and Vermilion monthly meetings 3d month, 5th, 1834. A committee of the above mentioned and Bloomfield meetings was appointed and met at the latter place on 8th of 4th month, 1834, which agreed to ask for a meeting to be known as the Western quarterly meeting, and that its assemblies take place on the second 7th day in the 3d, 5th, 8th and l1th months, The report was adopted by the yearly meeting, which answered the request of the committee by establishing it as desired, on the second 7th day of 2d month, 1836 nearly two years after the proposition was first made.
The first meeting held in the quarterly meeting-house, built by Reuben Holden in 1834, was on the 8th day of 6th month of that year, only one end of the building being completed. At this meeting Exam Outland, Stephen Kersey, Jesse Hobson, and Lot Lindley were appointed as the first representatives of the Western quarterly meeting.
If you have any information you would like to add, please send it to my attention. Thank you. James D. VanDerMark