Randolph County, Indiana
Norman Anderson grew up on the home farm and he received his education in the common schools, and then spent one term in the Valparaiso Normal. He worked on the home farm until 1887 when he went to the village of Crete where he engaged in the grain business until 1901, when he purchased a farm of two hundred and seventy acres in Greensfork township and there carried on general farming and stock raising successfully until 1907 when he moved to Lynn where he resumed the grain business which he has continued to the present time, in partnership with his son-in law, O. M. Downard. They operate a large elevator and mill, the capacity of the former being ten thousand bushels, and the mill has a capacity of six thousand bushels. They have built up a large, rapidly-growing and lucrative business. All grain except wheat is shipped. They handle the famous brand of “Bob White” flour, which is a great seller owing to its superior quality. They turn out sixty barrels daily and find a very ready market for the same. It is shipped all over the country.
Among the men of sterling attributes of character who have impressed their personality upon the community of their residence and have borne their full share in the upbuilding and development of the locality, mention must not be omitted of Norman Anderson, successful grain and flour dealer of Lynn, and formerly one of Randolph county's enterprising agriculturists. He is not only industrious but a man of upright principles, and aids in the advancement of his town and county in every way possible.
Mr. Anderson was born at Bethel, Wayne county, Indiana, November 25, 1857. He is a son of Wilson and Ann (Ellis) Anderson. The father was also born in Wayne county, January 13, 1836. He was a son of Jonathan and Catherine (Hiatt) Anderson. Jonathan Anderson was born in Kentucky in 1796 and there he spent his boyhood, removing to Indiana when only seventeen years of age and entering a large tract of land from the government in Wayne county, which he cleared and developed and there spent the rest of his life, dying in 1868. His wife died in 1865. They were a fine old pioneer couple, hard working and hospitable. Wilson Anderson was brought up on the old homestead, and in 1860 he moved to Greensfork township, Randolph county where he lived and farmed until 1874, when he purchased one hundred and eighteen acres. As he prospered he added to his original holdings until he owned a fine farm of nearly two hundred and forty acres. He carried on general farming on an extensive scale and also dealt extensively in live stock. He was one of the leading farmers and stock men of his township for a number of years and was also influential in public matters. He was county commissioner for two terms from 1878 to 1884, and was also at one time township assessor. He gave eminent satisfaction in each office. He was a loyal Republican until 1884 when he turned Prohibitionist and did much thereafter for the cause of temperance. Wilson Anderson and Ann Ellis were married January 10, 1857. She was born in Wayne county, Indiana, October 4, 1840, and was a daughter of Peter M. and Lucinda (White) Ellis, who were pioneer settlers of Wayne county. The death of Mrs. Ann Anderson occurred November 1, 1898.
Politically, Mr. Anderson is a Republican. He is a member of the Christian church, and fraternally he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he is past grand; and also belongs to the Encampment of which he is past chief patriarch. Mr. Anderson was married October 4, 1879, to Belle Chenoweth. She was born in Randolph county, September 19, 1858, and here she grew to womanhood and received her education. She is a daughter of E. M. and Ruth (Bowen) Chenoweth. To our subject and wife five children have been born, namely: Ethel is the wife of O. M. Downard; Noral is on the home farm; Nione is the wife of Harry Johnson; Denzil M. is engaged in the shoe business in Lynn; Ruth is at home.
Mr. Anderson is at this writing a member of the town council, and was township trustee of Greensfork township for a period of five years.
The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis Fleming. Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required to access the link, but no commercial use of this material is permitted. This message must appear on all copied material.