Randolph County, Indiana
Elmer E. Franklin
Elmer E. Franklin, is one of Randolph county's prosperous farmers
who has become so by close application and the exercise of sound judgment,
rather than by inheritance and by depending upon others to do what he deemed
best for him to do with his own hands and brain. While each succeeding year has
found him further advanced in a business way it also has found him a better and
more public-spirited citizen, for he takes an abiding interest in the general
progress of Winchester and Randolph county.
Mr. Franklin was born December 6, 1862, on a farm two and one-half
miles south of Sulphur Springs, Henry county, Indiana. He is a son of John
M. and Elizabeth (Denny) Franklin, both parents having been natives of
Henry county, this state. They grew to maturity there, were educated and
married, and there the father became a well-known miller, and also farmed some.
It was in 1868 that the family removed to Richland county, Illinois, where the
father followed his trade of miller, with the exception of the first year, which
he devoted to farming. The family remained in the Prairie state for about
fifteen years, when they returned to Indiana, locating at Newcastle, Henry
county, in which city John M. Franklin soon devoted himself to milling,
and there the family continued to reside. The death of his wife occurred in the
spring of 1882. He then removed to Montpelier, Blackford county, Indiana, where
he continued his trade for three years, then followed it two years in Pennville.
We next find him in Yorktown, Delaware county, where he built a mill, then in
partnership with a Mr. Maloney, continuing to engage in the milling
business there until his death in July, 1906.
Elmer E. Franklin left home when ten years old and came to
Randolph county, making his home with his half-brother, William H. Snyder.
During his boyhood he attended the public schools in the various localities,
where the family lived. After coming to this county he attended school during
the winters, for two or three years. During this time he was employed at farm
work, continuing thus until he was married, July 29, 1887, to Ada Ruble
daughter of Walter and Catherine (Harmon) Ruble, of this county. Mr.
Ruble was born in Randolph county, Indiana, but his wife was a native of
Ohio. To our subject and wife was born one daughter, Lola, a graduate of
the Winchester high school with the class of 1909; she also attended the State
Normal at Terre Haute, completing the training course preparatory to teaching;
however, desiring to further equip herself she then went to the Valparaiso
University for five months. She has since been a successful teacher in the
primary grade at the Lincoln school in White River township. She attended the
summer school at Winona, Indiana, in 1913.
After his marriage Mr.
Franklin settled on the Steven Moorman farm, just south of where he
now lives, remaining there four years, during which time he got a good start;
then he moved to a farm near Maxville cemetery, where he lived for four years.
In 1895 the family moved to their present fine farm, four miles west of
Winchester, on the Muncie road, the place consisting of sixty acres. On it
stands one of the most modern country homes in the county. It is equipped with
electric lights, telephone, etc., and an interurban line is at the door, a stop
being just in front of the house. Mr. Franklin has always followed
farming, with the exception of two years, being engaged in the farm implement
business in 1909 and 1910, in Winchester. He returned to the farm in 1911,
preferring the country life to that of town, although he was making a success
as a merchant. At present he is not as active as formerly, gradually retiring
from active life. His farm is well improved and he keeps a good grade of
has always been a Republican and he says he always will be, and he has been
deeply interested in public matters. He takes an especial interest in
educational affairs. He is a well read man, familiar with the world's best
literature in all branches having a large and well selected library, where he spends
a great deal of time. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and the Encampment and his wife and daughter belong to the Rebeccas; the two
latter also are members of the Economics Club, an organization of White River
township for the study of economic questions. The family are members of the
Methodist Episcopal church and are prominent in the social life of the
Past and Present of Randolph County, Indiana, 1914.
Contributed by Gina Richardson
The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis
Fleming. Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual
scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required
to access the link, but no commercial
use of this material is permitted. This message must appear on all copied material.