Randolph County, Indiana
Levi W. Green
The true measure
of individual success is determined by what one has accomplished, and as taken
in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save
in his own country, there is particular interest attached to the career of Levi
W. Green, since he is a native son of Randolph county, where his entire
life has been passed; and he has so directed his efforts and ability as to gain
recognition as one of the representative citizens of the locality, being one of
our leading agriculturists, stock men and bankers, and a worthy scion of a
sterling pioneer family.
Mr. Green was
born February 6, 1861, on a farm six miles west of Winchester in White River
township, Randolph county. He is a son of Levi and Elizabeth (Bowers) Green,
both now deceased and sleeping the sleep of the just in Maxville cemetery.
Levi W. Green
was reared on the home farm in his native community and there assisted with
the general work during the crop seasons when he became of proper age, and he
received his early education in the district schools there. He began life for
himself as a teacher, which vocation he followed several years in the common
schools of his native county during which time his services were in great
demand. Between terms he worked on the home farm, remaining under his parental
roof tree until his marriage, December 7, 1897 to Ida Main, a daughter
of Henry and Magdalena (Collinsworth) Main, a highly esteemed family of
Henry county. The father is deceased, having spent his life successfully
engaged in general farming. His widow survives.
Three children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Green, namely: Ruth, Mary and Joseph
Levi W. Green
has remained a resident on the old homestead where he has continue farming. He
and his brother, John E. Green, are now owners of over five hundred
acres of valuable, well-improved and productive land, and they carry on general
farming and stock raising on an extensive scale, raising large numbers of
thoroughbred shorthorn cattle for breeding purposes, for which there is a great
demand at fancy prices, these superior cattle being purchased in all parts of the
country. They have been frequently exhibited at county and state fairs, and
have always taken premiums. The herd at this writing consists of seventy-eight
head. Mr. Green is the largest breeder of shorthorn cattle in the county. He
has been very successful in a financial way and is one of the substantial men
of the county. He is president of the First National Bank of Farmland, which
position he has filled since the death of F. L. Shaw in 1905. He
was one of the organizers of this sound and popular institution and its
pronounced success has been due for the most part to his able and conscientious
management. He is also a stockholder and one of the promoters of the Parker
Banking Company. He is a stockholder in the Goodrich Grain & Elevator
Company. He was one of the promoters of the Farmland Telephone Company and
is a heavy stockholder in the same.
Green is a Republican and while he has always been deeply interested in
public matters he has never sought to become a politician, never asking or
holding office, having no ambition whatever in this direction, preferring to
devote his attention exclusively to his large personal interests.
Fraternally, he is a
member of the Knights of Pythias lodge at Farmland. He was reared in the
Methodist faith, and the elegant new church edifice now tinder course of
construction at Maxville was made possible by the handsome donations of himself
and brother. He is a member of the building committee, and is treasurer of the
same. The church will probably cost when completed seven thousand dollars. Mr.
Green is a member of the National Shorthorn Breeders Association, in which he
is a stockholder. He is active and prominent in the affairs of the same and
attends its meetings. He has been a member for the past twelve years. He is a
man of large affairs, keen foresight, sound judgment, never failing honesty and
courtesy and is foremost in advocating all that pertains to the general good of
the community honored by his residence.
Past and Present of Randolph County, Indiana, 1914.
Contributed by Gina Richardson
The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis
Fleming. Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual
scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required
to access the link, but no commercial
use of this material is permitted. This message must appear on all copied material.