James H. Horney, one of the firm of Ross & Horney, carriage manufacturers, Union City, Randolph county, Ind., is a son of John and Mary F. (Fahnestock) Horney, and was born in Darke county, Ohio, in 1860. The father, John Horney, was killed when James H. was about six months old, and in 1865 the mother moved to Union City. James H. was educated at the public schools of Union City until he was fifteen years old, and was then apprenticed for three years to Ross & Knapp, at carriage trimming; he next worked as journeyman and at contract work for the Union City Carriage company for six years, hiring all the help in his department, and having entire management of it; later, contracted with George W. Ross for doing all his work for three years. In 1891 he formed a partnership with Mr. Ross, under the firm name of Ross & Horney, in the manufacture of carriages, at the corner of Union and Pearl streets, but on June 27, 1893, fire destroyed the premises, causing a loss of $5,000, of which $3,000 was on stock, the finished work alone being saved. The firm now occupy the Bowers and other buildings, on Columbia and Oak streets, employ ten hands, and turn out all kinds of modern stylish, high-class vehicles, that represent the progressive experience of twenty-five years in this particular line.
The grandparents of Mr. Horney were among the pioneers of Ohio, and his parents were both natives of Darke county. When his father was accidentally killed he was but twenty-two years of age, and left behind two children, viz.: Minnie, now wife of William Morrow, of Union City, and James H. The marriage of James H. Horney took place in 1885 to Miss Emma Harlan, of Union City, and resulted in the birth of four children, who are named May, Herschel, Howard and Gertrude. Mr. Horney is a member of the I.O.O.F., holds the respect of his fellow citizens and is recognized as an industrious, skillful workman and courteous gentleman. In politics he is a republican.
A Portrait & Biographical Record of Delaware and Randolph Counties, Indiana, A.W. Bowen & Co., 1894, page 1368.
Submitted by Dusti
The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis Fleming. Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required to access the link, but no commercial use of this material is permitted. This message must appear on all copied material.