Randolph County, Indiana
Grant C. Markle
The name Markle
has been a household word to the people of Randolph county for the past forty
years, and during that period no name in the list of medical men in this
section of the Hoosier state has stood out any more prominently, for Dr.
Grant C. Markle, of this review, and his worthy father before him, Dr.
John E. Markle, have been prominent physicians and surgeons of the county
during that period, the former during the latter part and the latter during the
first part of the period designated. They have brought health, and therefore
happiness to the people of this locality and have won the lasting gratitude of
all. The elder Markle has passed on to a higher plane of
endeavor, but his mantle seems to have fallen on his son who is carrying on the
commendable work of bringing surcease for the multiform ills to which humanity
is heir, and he is in every respect proving himself to be a worthy son of a
Dr. Grant C.
Markle, of Winchester, was born in Portland, Indiana, October 31, 1868,
and is a son of Dr. John E. and Emily V. (Johnson) Markle. Owing to the
prominence of the father his biography will be given at some length before
proceeding with the life history of the son.
Dr. John E.
Markle was born at Ithaca, New York, December 2, 1838, his father, Jacob
Markle, having been a merchant at that place, and who subsequently moved
with his family to Candor, Tioga county, New York, in 1841, where he
lived until 1853, in which year he came to Madison county, Indiana, locating at
a village which was later named Markleville. He was engaged in
mercantile pursuits at this point until his death in 1864. His son, John E.,
received an excellent, education in the Academy at Candor, New York and the
University at Meadville, Pennsylvania. In 1859 he began the study of medicine,
and a year later found him pursuing his studies at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati,
Ohio. In the spring of 1861 he began practicing at Fishersburg, Indiana. But
his practice was interrupted by the breaking out of the Civil war, and on
August 4th of that year he enlisted in Company F. Thirty-fourth Indiana
Volunteer Infantry. While in camp at Anderson he was detailed for duty in the
hospital department, and he did not return to his company until in November,
1862, at Helena, Arkansas, On January 4, 1863, he was appointed second lieutenant
and was detailed as commander of a squad to assist in carrying out one of General
Grant's plans in the Mississippi campaign. For valuable service he was made
first lieutenant April 4, 1863. He had charge of his company at the battle of
Magnolia Hills, Mississippi and for bravery displayed in the capture of a rebel
battery, he was given a captain's commission. As captain of Company K, he
participated in thirty-two engagements, winning an enviable record for bravery
and daring courage. He was in the battle of Palo Alto, Texas, one of the last
of the war. Here he performed one of his most courageous feats by rescuing the
regimental colors from the enemy into whose hands they had fallen. On October 15,
1865, he was commissioned assistant surgeon of his regiment, serving in
that capacity until February 19, 1866, when he was honorably discharged
and mustered out of the service. At the close of the war he was the only one
among forty applicants who passed a successful examination for admission into
the regular army. He was never wounded or taken prisoner.
After his military
career had ended, Dr. John E. Markle located at Portland, Jay county,
Indiana, in March, 1866, and there began the practice of his profession. He
later attended a course of lectures in the Ohio Medical College from which he
was graduated in the spring of 1868. He continued to practice at Portland until
1873 when he removed to Hagerstown, Indiana, and on November 2,1874,
located at Winchester, where he remained successfully engaged in the practice
of his profession until his death which occurred on March 20,1903.
He was secretary of the Jay County Medical Association and in 1866 was
president of the same. In 1876 he suggested a similar organization for Randolph
county and was the principal organizer of the same, was president for one year.
In the winter of 1878-9 he attended the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, of
New York City, from which he was graduated in the spring of 1879. Later in that
year he assisted in organizing the Delaware District Medical Society, and was
elected vice-president, and president in 1880. He was a member of
the Indiana State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and he
contributed numerous valuable papers to the medical journals of the country. At
the organization of the Randolph County Board of Health he was elected
secretary, and was by virtue of the same, health officer of the county. He was
appointed United States pension examiner July 1, 1882, serving four years, and
was later re-appointed. He was a Republican and a member of the Masonic Order
and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was noble grand of the latter
lodge, and reached the master's degree in the former, being a Scottish Rite, a
Knights Templar and a member of the Chapter. He was also past grand of the Odd
Fellows and was representative to the grand lodge of Indiana in 1870. He was a
great physician of the old school and enjoyed a very large and lucrative
practice and was one of the best known doctors of his day in northern Indiana.
He was elected clerk of his county in 1896, serving four years.
Dr. John E.
Markle was married September 19, 1866 to Emily V. Johnson, daughter
of Jephtha Johnson, of Wayne county; this state, and she is still
living, making her home with her son, Dr. Grant C. Markle.
The only other child of these parents was Minnie, who died in infancy.
Dr. Grant C. Markle was
reared in the atmosphere of a physician's home and attended the public schools,
graduating from the Winchester high school in 1886. He then entered Wabash College,
Crawfordsville, Indiana, from which he was graduated in 1890 with the degree of
Bachelor of Science. Deciding to follow in the footsteps of his father in a
professional way he began studying medicine under him at his office in
Winchester, subsequently entering the medical department of the University of
Louisville, from which he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine
in 1892. He at once began practice with his father in Winchester and has remained
in the general practice to the present time. He was not long in rising to
distinction in his profession. He has always kept well abreast of the progress
of the science, is an enthusiast in his practice, and tireless in his
performance of duty. During the past year he has been compelled to give up much
of his practice in view of the fact that on January 29, 1913, he was struck by
a locomotive at a street crossing in Winchester and seriously injured, while
making a professional call. He remained in partnership with his father for five
years, then practiced by himself. He is a member of the county, state and
national medical societies. Fraternally he belongs to the Masonic Order and the
Knights of Pythias. Politically he is a staunch Republican and has been active
in public matters since attaining his majority. He was county health commissioner
for several years, and is a progressive citizen in every respect. He has also
been city health officer.
/Dr. Markle was married December 30, 1897 to Bessie Smith, a
daughter of Dr. W. G. and Julia (Lucas) Smith, a prominent Winchester
family. Here Mrs. Markle grew to womanhood and was educated. She is a
lady of culture and pleasant address. The union of the Doctor and wife has been
Past and Present of Randolph County, Indiana, 1914.
Contributed by Gina Richardson
The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis
Fleming. Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual
scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required
to access the link, but no commercial
use of this material is permitted. This message must appear on all copied material.