Randolph  County,  Indiana

John  Stanley  Robison


            The medical profession of Randolph county has an able exponent in Dr. John Stanley Robison, of Winchester, who, although young in years, has firmly established himself in his vocation and won the confidence and esteem of the people and his professional brethren in this section of the state, for he evidently is the possessor of the natural endowments necessary to the makeup of the twentieth century medical man, and he has also had the necessary training, having been a close student and an indefatigable worker, a good mixer, sympathetic and genial in his deportment, and of exemplary personal habits. He deems it a privilege to be able to bring surcease for humanity's multiform ills. He has also shown a public spirit that is commendable, ever willing to do his full share in the development of his city and county, and so ordering his course as to keep at all times untarnished the bright escutcheon of an honored family name.
            Dr. Robinson was born June 12, 1885, on a farm near New Philadelphia, Indiana. He is a son of  George William and Mary F. (Morris) Robison, both parents natives of Washington county, Indiana, where they grew to maturity, were educated and married. George W. Robinson is a large land owner and extensive general farmer. He and his wife have two sons and one daughter living, and one son and one daughter dead, namely:  Mabel E., now the wife of  Dr. James McCullough, of Casey, Illinois; Dr. John S., of this review, and Jesse A., who is a student at the University of Indiana at Bloomington.
            Dr. John S. Robison was reared on the home farm where he assisted with the general work when of proper age. During the winter months he attended the district schools when a boy, later was a student at the Normal College at Marion, Indiana, for a period of three years, graduating from the scientific course with the class of 1907, with the degree of Bachelor of Science. During that period he taught two terms in the district schools of his section of the state, and after his graduation from the Marion Normal he became principal of New Philadelphia high school for one year. He gave great promise as a teacher, but realizing that his true bent lay along another line he abandoned the school room and in the fall of 1908 he entered the Indiana University School of Medicine at Indianapolis, where he made an excellent record, and from which institution he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, June 19, 1912. Having succeeded in the competitive examination for appointment as interne at the Indianapolis City Hospital, he began his service there a week before his graduation and he remained at the hospital one year, giving eminent satisfaction to all concerned. In July, 1913, he located in Winchester for the practice of his profession and was successful from the first and is enjoying a rapidly growing practice.
            On October 29, 1913, Dr. Robison was united in marriage with Harriet Foster, a daughter of Albert and Mary (Sponsler) Foster, of Lowell, Indiana.
            He is a member of the Randolph County Medical Society, the Indiana State Medical Association, and the American Medical Association. While in college he was a member of the Phi Beta Pi society. Politically, he is a Republican, and is a careful student of public issues. Religiously he belongs to the Presbyterian church, the faith of his parents. His office is at 111 South Main street.
Past and Present of Randolph County, Indiana, 1914.
Contributed by Gina Richardson

Biography Index        Main Page

The Randolph County, Indiana INGenWeb family history site is maintained by Phyllis Fleming.  Copying is permitted for noncommercial, educational use by individual scholars and libraries. You may link to this page with prior permission, provided no fee is required to access the link, but no commercial use of this material is permitted.  This message must appear on all copied material.