Rush County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
a small part of the INGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects
History of Rush County Indiana
Brant & Fuller
ALLEN HINCHMAN was born in Union Township, February 3, 1836. His parents were John and Margaret (Nickell) Hinchman, the former, the son of, John and Margaret (Vinson) Hinchman, whose biographies appear in this volume. The latter was the daughter of George and Margaret (Nelson) Nickell, natives of Monroe County, VA. On August 12, 1823, John was married to Margaret (Nickell), and during that tall removed to Rush County and located on a wild tract of land which he had entered on a trip to this county in 1822, when James Hinchman came to this county. The tract of land entered by John Hinchman is owned at present by his son, Marshall Hinchman. John soon erected a rude log cabin, and spent the winter in it without doors or windows, and had 50 cents in money on his arrival here. The trials and hardships of those pioneer days can hardly now be realized by the present generation. He began in the forest with a will and spent many a hard dayŚ’s work in his clearing, and assisted by his indulgent wife, would burn brush until late at night. Thus, by degrees, he climbed the ladder of prosperity, and by industry and perseverance, had at the time of his death accumulated a fortune of $75,000, leaving his family in comfortable circumstances. He was one of the largest landowners of Rush County, and at the time of his death, owned over 1,000 acres, besides valuable property in Connersville. He was a good financier and had the reputation of being one of the shrewdest traders in the county. Politically, he cast his first vote with the Whigs, but on the formation of the Republican Party, he heartily gave it his support, and was one of the foremost advocates of the abolition of slavery, in Rush County. He sent two of his sons, Ira and Morris, to defend their country’s honor. The former received a severe wound, but both returned to enjoy the Union they fought so bravely to preserve. Mr. Hinchman was chosen by his Party, as County Commissioner, and often served Union Township as its Trustee, in which offices he performed his duties in a manner creditable to himself and constituents. He was a public-spirited man, and was ever ready to assist any laudable enterprise in the County. He gave freely to churches, schools, and probably as much as $3,000 to various railroads in the county. He assisted financially in the building of the White Water canal, besides doing his share toward the building of pikes and gravel roads, and all public improvements of merit. He was a member of the Christian Church, and passed away on June 2, 1865. Thus ended the life of one of Rush CountyŚ’s time honored citizens and pioneers. His loving wife, who had stood by his side through the trials and hardships for over forty years, survived him until October 3, 1876, when she, too, was called to rest. The seventh of his children is the subject of this biography, from whom this information was obtained. He has always lived in Union Township, and received a fair education for that day. On December 22, 1858, he was married to Nancy Moffitt, daughter of Andrew and Athalia (Rees) Moflitt, residents of Fayette County. Nancy was born in Fayette County, April 23, 1840. This union was blessed with five children: Margaret, Minnie M., Nora, Ulysses G., George W., all living. Mr. and Mrs. Hinchman are members of the Christian Church, and in politics he is a staunch Republican. When he began life his father gave him $1,000, and by carefully managing his affairs has been eminently successful. At present he owns a fine farm in Section 21, provided with modern improvements. He is an up right citizen and one of the successful farmers of Union Township.