Rush County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
a small part of the INGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects
Centennial history of Rush
Edited by A. L Gary and E. B. Thomas
In Two Volumes
HISTORICAL PUBLISHING COMPANY
CHARLEY DAVIS, a substantial farmer of Anderson township, now living at Milroy, to which pleasant village he moved upon retiring from the active labor of the farm a year or two ago, who for the past ten years has rendered efficient public service as a member of the county council and in other ways has manifested his intelligent interest in public affairs, has been a resident of Rush county all his life and is warmly devoted to the county's best interests. Mr. Davis was born on a farm and has been a farmer all his life, having during the active period of his career as an agriculturist developed an excellent piece of property and has also gained something more than a local reputation as a breeder of live stock. He was born in Anderson township on November 29, 1875, son of Samuel H. and Mary E. (Henry) Davis, both of whom were natives of Kentucky, the parents of seven children, six of whom are still living, those besides the subject of this sketch being J. Henry, Robert S., Elizabeth, John S. and May Davis. Reared on the home farm, Charley Davis completed his schooling at Richland and from the days of his boyhood was engaged in the work of the farm and thus grew up to be an excellent farmer under the careful direction of his father. Upon starting out "for himself" he bought a tract of 120 acres of the home place and there established his home. In addition to his general farming Mr. Davis gave considerable attention to the raising of live stock and has been accustomed to feed out about 300 head of hogs a year and a car load of cattle. His affairs prospered and in 1918 he bought an additional tract of 160 acres of the old home place and thus has now a farm of 280 acres and one of the best equipped farm plants in that part of the county. In December, 1919, Mr. Davis moved from the farm to Milroy, at which place he some time before had bought a house pleasantly situated and he and his family are now living there, though he continues to give his farm a proper measure of his personal attention, keeping a close supervisory eye over the operation of the same. Mr. Davis is an ardent Republican and has for years given his thoughtful attention to local public affairs. In 1910 he was elected a member of the county council from his district and has since been retained in that office, to thÇ discharge of the important duties of which he has given his most earnest attention, and is thus widely and popularly known throughout the county. On December 17, 1902, Charley Davis was united in marriage to Mildred B. Meek, who was born in Decatur county. daughter of John T. and Florence Eugenia (Bonner) Meek, natives of Kentucky, and to this union one child has been born, a daughter, Florence Louise. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Methodist church and have ever given their interested attention to church affairs as well as to the general social affairs of their home neighborhood, helpful in promoting all causes having to do with the advancement of the common good hereabout. Mr. Davis is a thirty-second degree Mason, affiliated with the local blue lodge and with the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Indianapolis, and is likewise a Noble of the Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, affiliated with Murat Temple at Indianapolis. He also is a member of the Rushville lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and in the affairs of these several fraternal organizations takes a warm interest.