Rush County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
a small part of the INGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects
Transcribed by Lora Radiches
GEORGE W. EWING the name of a very well known organization of Muncie is George W. Ewing & Sons, building contractors and realtors, a firm that has specialized in the construction of high-grade residences. George W. Ewing, of this firm, has been well and favorably known in a business way and as a citizen in Muncie for many years. He was born in Rush County, Indiana, September 4, 1863, son of William H. and Minerva (Kirkpatrick) Ewing, and grandson of James Ewing, who came to Indiana from Kentucky and acquired extensive holdings of lands in Rush County during the early days. He and his wife are buried near Knightstown in Henry County. William H. Ewing was born and reared in Rush County, had a public school education and devoted his active years to farming and stock raising. He was a member of the Christian Church. He died in 1878 and is buried in the Blue River Cemetery in Rush County. His wife, Minerva Kirkpatrick, was born and reared in Rush County, attended school there and was a sincere and earnest member of the Christian Church. She died in 1924. Her parents, George W. and Nancy (Corbin) Kirkpatrick, came to Indiana from Pennsylvania and settled in Rush County. George W. Ewing was the oldest of six children. His sister Mary is Mrs. George W. Dipple; Nancy is Mrs. Jonathan Applegate; Sarah Catherine, deceased, was the wife of John Cox; James is a farmer in Delaware County; and Otto died when six years old. George W. Ewing after availing himself of the opportunities presented in the public schools of Rush County remained at home and assisted his father on the farm until he was twenty-two. He learned the trade of carpenter, and for over forty years has been in business as a carpenter and building contractor. In 1908 he moved to St. Louis, Missouri, and for twelve years handled a large volume of building business, and during three years of this time conducted a farm in Wayne County, Missouri. He still owns this farm. Mr. Ewing in 1920 returned to Muncie, and has since been in business with his sons. A number of buildings will testify to the high quality of his work for many years. These include the Normal City M. E. Church, the Madison Street M. E. Church, the McNaughton residence, the Aberdeen Johnson residence, the plant of the Glascock Manufacturing Company and the Christian Science Church on Charles Street. A considerable part of the business has been building homes on real estate property owned by Mr. Ewing, and his real estate operations have made him one of the leading members of the Muncie Realtors Association. He is affiliated with the Lodge and Encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, an independent Republican, and is president of the board of trustees of the Avondale Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Ewing married at Yorktown, Indiana, December 8, 1887, Miss Addie Russell, daughter of John H. and Emily (Clark) Russell, of Yorktown. Her father was a farmer and stock raiser, and passed away in 1922. Her mother died in 1890, and both are buried at Yorktown. Mrs. Ewing attended public schools there. She is a member of the Methodist Church, the Rebekahs, and her chief interest since her marriage has been the rearing and training of her children. These comprise four. William H., J. R. and R. L. Ewing, and another child, Relma, who died when nine months old. All were born at Muncie. William H. Ewing attended public schools there and since early manhood has been with his father in the contracting business. He is a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He married Miss Ida Hanson of Saint Louis, Missouri, and they have a son, Calvin. J. R. Ewing after completing his education joined the Indiana General Service Company and for several years has been foreman for that electrical utility. He is a Mason, and he married Alma Schwartzrock and has six living children, the other child having been killed in a crossing accident at the age of six years. R. L. Ewing, the youngest son, graduated from the Muncie High School, also attended school at Saint Louis, and during the World war was a bugler in the army. He enlisted at Saint Louis, received his early training there, and later was sent to Fort Sill, Oklahoma. On May 2, 1918, he went overseas with the One Hundred Thirty-eighth Infantry, Thirty-fifth Division, and was in France until after the armistice. During the Argonne campaign he was gassed and spent some time in a hospital. He received his honorable discharge in March, 1919, and subsequently returned to Muncie to join his father in the contracting business. He is a member of Delaware Post No 19 of the American Legion, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He married Gertrude Smith, of Selma, Indiana, and they have two children, Glenn Neal and Norma Jean.