Rush County, Indiana
Genealogy and History
a small part of the INGENWEB and USGENWEB Projects
Transcribed by Lora Radiches
JAMES HENRY DAVIS Was one of the honored and highly useful citizens of Rush County, where he spent all his life of more than seventy years, being a substantial farmer, business man and giving generous response to all calls upon his public spirit He was born in Anderson Township, Rush County, September 19, 1856, and died at Milroy, Indiana, April 18, 1929. His parents, Samuel H. and Mary E. (Henry) DAVIS, were natives of Kentucky and were children when their respective families moved to Richland Township, Rush County, Indiana. Samuel H. Davis was born at Flemingsburg, Kentucky, June 8, 1831, the son of Robert and Elizabeth DAVIS. After his marriage he lived on a farm in Anderson Township. James Henry DAVIS grew up on that farm, was educated in the local schools and on November 21, 1878, married Lura A. Barton. She was born at Milroy, Indiana, daughter of James A. and Lucinda (Amos) Barton, natives of Kentucky, where her father was born April 12, 1823, and her mother on August 8, 1882. James A. Barton was a son of William and Elizabeth B. (Summers) Barton, who were pioneers of Indiana. William Barton was born in 1800 and died September 13, 1830. The parents of Lucinda Amos were Mr. and Mrs. William Amos. James Henry DAVIS after his marriage settled on a farm in Anderson Township. In 1884 he moved to Milroy and conducted a livery business for two and a half years. He then went back to the farm. In 1899 he rented out his farm and, returning to Milroy was chiefly engaged in the carpenter trade and in the supervision of his property interests until his death. He left a faming estate of 250 acres and Mrs. Davis also owns a 160 acre improved farm located in Richland Township. Mrs. Davis is a member of the Christian Church. The only daughter, Wildie Lueinda DAVIS, graduated from Indiana University in 1907, taking the A. B. degree, and also spent one summer in graduate work at the University of California. She taught at Hamburg, Iowa, in 1908-09, at Star City, Indiana, from 1909 to 1911, and for three years was in schoolwork at Nineveh, Indiana. During 1914-15 she was again a student at the University of Indiana and received her Master of Arts degree in 1915, and then taught at Lawrenceburg until 1918. The following year she spent teaching at Drumright, Oklahoma, in the midst of the great oil fields there. She then took a position in the schools of Murphysboro, Illinois, and was teaching there on March 18, 1925, the date of the memorable tornado which wrought such destruction in that town and other portions of Southern Illinois. She continued her work as a high school teacher until December, 1928, when, on account of her mother's illness and advanced age, she returned home.