The Town Of Ellis In 1901
It has been so long since Ellis has been heard from, we
expect its existence has almost been forgotten but we are still among the
living. We think a little write-up on the place will not be amiss
as we have had some additions since last heard from. We have a grist
mill on the north side, Shelvin Nichols owner and manager. Chop grinding
however is the only custom solicited. Grinding commences every Monday
morning, continuing till grists are exhausted.
We have a blacksmith and repair shop run by Moughler Brothers.
Horseshoeing and all kinds of work promptly and neatly done.
Two carriage repair shops, one by C.P. Richmond and a new
one by Dan Brooks, which is probably the largest in the world, as he does
not confine himself to a building.
We have a cider mill which runs through the season, John
W. H. Rogers agent for wall paper.
Chas. Mountz and Bert Wheaton dealers in all kinds of furs
Two dressmakers, Mrs. Jane Waller and Mrs. Alma Patch.
A saw mill owned by Wm. Mawhood.
A store owned by Ewers and Echard in connection with the
post office and telephone office.
When in Ellis stop at the Richmond Hotel.
Anyone with large capital wishing to erect a large manufacturing
establishment will find a good location for any kind of business and will
not find building room crowded.
Submitted by Kay Lash Source: Steuben-Republican Newspaper
on 27 Feb 1901, in the Ellis News.