Towns, Past and Present
(pt.), Nipcondish, North Benton, Pleasant
Settlers Before 1840
1885 History of Steuben County,
Indiana page 766
|Alanson ABBEY (after 1836)
|Eber THAYER (after 1836)
|R. LOOMIS (after 1836)
|Orsemus V. BARNARD (after 1836)
|Theophilus JACKSON (after 1836)
|Thomas LACEY (after 1836)
|A. BEACH (after 1836)
|O. SMITH (after 1836)
|Justin DARLING (after 1836)
|Alexander C. BRITTON (1835)
|A.P. CLARK (after 1836)
|Daniel CUMMINGS (1835)
|M. BOWEN (after 1836)
|C. CHARD (after 1836)
|Abner WINSOR (1836)
|Jonas CARTER (1835)
|A. and J. MILLER (after 1836)
|Wooster McMILLEN (1836)
|John W. CARTER (1836)
|Reuben WARWICK (1835)
|James LONG (after 1836)
|Lewis CARTER (1836)
|James FORBES (1835)
|Chauncey CLARK (after 1836)
|Seth W. MURRAY (1835)
|James PERFECT (1836)
|Hiram NILES (after 1836)
|Isaac GLOVER (1835)
|Gideon BALL (1835 but settled in Otsego)
|J. ALLISON (after 1836)
|Sylvanus B. GEORGE (after 1836)
|G.B. MASON (after 1836)
|F. FORBES (after 1836)
|Samuel CARTER (1836)
|H. FRINK (after 1836)
|Lucius CRANE (after 1836)
the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana pages
Steubenville Town History
- Steuben Twp. is 6 miles from north to south, and 6 miles
from east to west (23,000 acres).
- Contains Pigeon Creek, Long Lake, Pleasant Lake, Golden
Lake, Goose Neck Lake
- Contains the Fort Wayne & Jackson branch of the Lake
Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad
- First frame dwelling built by Seth W. MURRAY in 1836
- First schoolhouse built in 1836 in the village of
- First teacher was Lucy AVERY
- First orchards put out in the Spring of 1836 by Abner
WINSOR and Seth W. MURRAY
- Politics strongly Whig until the death of the party, then
Republican. This is the strongest Republican township
in the county.
Pleasant Lake Town History
- Steubenville was platted in 1835 near the village of
- Competed for county seat against Angola, but lost as
Angola was chosen county seat in 1873.
- A different Steubenville platted by Daniel TILL and Samuel
TEETERS in 1873 at the crossing of the Canada Southern
Railroad and the Ft. Wayne & Jackson Railroad.
Leading Members: Deacon L.
COLTON and wife, Truman DARLING and wife, John MESERVE and
Mr. HOLMAN and wife
Other Preachers: William
CONLEY, William LACY, W.N. WELKER, T.C. BRIGGS, S.B. WARD,
Lyman COLTON, J.P. JONES,
- A summer resort laid out by William THOMPSON and Sheldon
X. BALL in 1870. Addition by David S. GILBERT.
- Congregational society organized in 1879 by Rev. John V.
- Methodist preacher was Rev. I.M. WOLVERTON
- Elder BYRON organized Baptists in 1850.
J. WARD, Mr. FINCH
Prominent Members: S.B.
GEORGE, A.B. KNAPP, M.R. KNAPP, Samuel CARTER, James CARTER,
George W. CLAWSON, Volney E.
SIMMONS, J.C. SIMMONS, D.W. GAYLORG, A.F. HUFFMAN
Preachers: Rev. M. CRARY
from 1856-1874; next two years Rev. John BINNS
Trustee and Board: Sylvanus
B. GEORGE, A.B. KNAPP, Volney E. SIMMONS, S.B. GEORGE, A.F.
- Universalist society organized in 1870.
Chadwick & Co. -- dry
Mosiman & Co. -- dry
Murray & Case --
Thomas Brothers --
G.P. Ball -- groceries
Weaver Brothers -- drugs
Mr. Teegardin -- drugs
G.W. Conkell -- furniture
Carpenter Brothers --
A.P. Hubbard -- jewelry
G.W. Oberbin -- jewelry
G.W. Conkell -- Lake View
Augustus Stover -- flouring
Orrin Sisson -- blacksmith
Mr. Hannah -- blacksmith
E.L. Lewis -- blacksmith
Austin Knight -- blacksmith
S.W. Freeman -- wagon shop
Sam Barr -- saloon
William Spriegel -- saloon
Dr. T.E. Biery --
Aldrich & Co. -- ice
J. Vanorden -- ice
Sylvanus B. George --
J. W. Zimmerman --
H. Oberlin -- Justice of
S.H. Fuller -- physician
T.E. Biery -- physician
- Present businessmen (remember this is around 1885):
Officers when founded: R.J.
WILLARD, Com.; John CARLIN, S.V.C.; S.B. GEORGE, J.V.C; A.
Present officers (1885):
Cyrus ROBINSON, Com.; Samuel MAJOR, S.V.C; John HALL, J.V.C;
Asa HUFFMAN, Chap; O.D. SCOVILLE,
O. of the D.; T.E. BIERY, surgeon; Leander WELDON, Q.M.; M. J.
AVERY, O. of the G.; A. ROSE, adjutant.
- G.A.R. Middleton Perfect Post No. 173 mustered May 19,
1883 with 20 members.
Return to the Steuben County
INGenWeb Main Page
Any suggestions or comments should be directed to: