Steuben Republican, July 25, 1923, page 1, column 2.

Within Two Days at Galion, Ohio, Where Father Had Been Called to Visit Son Critically Ill

	The community was shocked this week by the report that the Grim Reaper Death had visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Harman twice within three days and taken the father and son, Glenn.  The latter was employed at Galion, Ohio, and his father and mother had gone there to visit him during his critical illness.  Mrs. Harman went to Galion on Thursday, also her son Ora.  Mr. Harman followed on Friday.  He had been ailing for some time, but his trouble had not been realized as serious.
	On his arrival in Galion, he went to the hospital and after visiting his son Glenn, he sat on the porch with his son Ora, visiting.  Ora was sitting in a swing talking to Mr. Harman who was in a chair, when he noticed his father's head drop suddenly.  He rushed to him and called a nurse but they found life extinct.  His death came within two hours after he reached Galion.  Mrs. Harman returned to Angola with the body on Sunday.
	Glenn Harman entered the hospital at Galion on Friday, July 13 for an operation for removal of the tonsils, which was performed, and he returned to his rooming home on Saturday.  Sunday he was taken very ill, and growing worse, he was removed again to the hospital on Monday night.  His condition was baffling, and on Wednesday he was operated on for diagnosis of internal conditions.  It was announced that death was due to bowel obstruction.  Funeral services were held in Galion at the home of Mr. Aria Pfeifer, where he lived, and the body was brought to Angola on Tuesday, accompanied by Ora Harmon [sic] and Mr. Pfeifer and a friend.  A number of members of the Galion lodge of Elks, of which he was a member, drove here to attend the funeral, acting as pall bearers.
	The funeral for father and son was held in the First Congregational church, Angola, Tuesday afternoon, conducted by the Rev. John Humphreys, D.D., and was very largely attended, members of the Oddfellows Lodge, of Angola, acting as pall bearers for the father.  The burial was in Circle Hill cemetery.
Jesse G. Harman

	Jesse G. Harman, son of John and Louisa Day Harman, was born in Otsego township, Steuben county, Indiana, Feb. 22nd, 1870, and died in Galion, Ohio, July 20th, 1923, aged 53 years, 4 months, and 28 days.  He lived in Steuben county all his life.  He was reared on a farm, attended the district schools of the county, and during his early manhood he was engaged in farming.  August 4, 1891, he was married to Miss Carrie Johnson.  To this union were born eight children, a daughter, Pauline, passed away at the age of two years, Sept. 29th, 1908.
	Twenty-one years ago Mr. Harman came with his family to Angola where he has since resided.  He was a respected member of the Angola I. O. O. F.  He was a man of excellent habits, industrious, modest, and unassuming, honest in all his dealings.  He was proud of his family.  His children and his children's children have been a great comfort and joy to him; especially has this been true in the past few months of his declining days.  Shortly before his breathing his last he said: "You may think it strange but I am happy.  I don't know why but I feel very rich."  And thus he fell asleep.
	Surviving are the wife, four sons, Ray, of Eugene, Oregon; Ralph, of Kecksburg, Pa.; Wayne, of Jackson, Mich.; Ora, of Fort Wayne, and two daughters, Marjorie, wife of Paul Jackson, and Lois, of Angola, and six grandchildren, an aged mother, two brothers, Marion and Darwin, of Angola, and a sister, Mrs. Cora Stafford, of Hillsdale, Michigan.

Glen Harman

	Glen, youngest son of Jesse G. and Carrie J. Harman, was born in Otsego township, Steuben county, Ind., Jan. 9, 1902; died in the Galion hospital, following an operation, July 22nd, 1923, aged 21 years, 6 months, and 13 days.
	Glen came to Angola with his parents when but six months old and grew to manhood in this city.  He attended the public schools and was graduated from the Angola high school with the class of 1920.  He was a general favorite in school and was well and favorably known bout [sic] town.  During his school days he held different positions, working vacations and in his spare time when not in school.  At all times he was courteous, cheerful, and faithfully attentive to business.
	Three years ago next month he went to Galion, Ohio, where he immediately entered the employ of the North Electric Co.  He became one of their trusted employees and received several promotions, having been advanced to the position of cost clerk, which he held at the time of his death.  He had many friends in Galion who were shocked and saddened by his untimely passing.
	During his residence in Galion, he lived in the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. A. Pfeifer.  Under the influence largely of Mrs. Pfeifer, who was as devoted as a mother to him, Glen united with the First Lutheran Church of that city on Easter Sunday, 1922, and was also a member of the Sunday school..  Two years ago he met with a distressing railroad accident from which he sustained severe injuries, resulting in the loss of his left hand.  Regardless of this handicap, he resolutely and cheerfully returned to his work, winning the admiration and esteem of both employers and associates.
	At the request of Mrs. Pfeifer, a short funeral service was conducted at her home by Glenn's pastor Monday afternoon; and that evening the B.P.O.E. of Galion held their service, Glenn being a member of that fraternity.

The proper spelling of the son's name is "Glenn".  Glenn's death certificate lists the cause of death as "Appendicicitis ruptured Peritonitis", with a contributory cause as "Intestinal obstruction" for 2 days.  

Submitted By: Craig Fisher
E-mail: 4Fishers@compuserve.html