Orland Before the Fire in 1909

Orland After the Fire in 1909

On the evening of December 30, 1909, Orland suffered one of the most destructive fires since the first Vermont settlers came here in 1831. According to the STEUBEN REPUBLICAN, the fire was caused by the ignition of gasoline in the kitchen of Charles Brock's bakery. Total destruction of the entire block took less than an hour. The village was without any equipment for fighting fire. A train of three coaches loaded with men from Lagrange and Mongo and a car full of men from Angola rushed to the scene to help the citizens of Orland save their town, although they were powerless, the people appreciated the expression of sympathy. Although no lives were lost, Brock's Bakery, The Masonic Hall, Jennings and Son Grocery, Post Office, Burnham House, E. L. Parker Implement Building which included a pool room and Charles Helm's Barber Shop were all total losses.

Submitted By:  Jim Emerson     E-mail: Ejande2009@comcast.net