Orland Before the Fire in 1909
Orland After the Fire in 1909
On the evening of December 30, 1909,
Orland suffered one of the most destructive fires since the first
came here in 1831. According to the STEUBEN REPUBLICAN, the fire was
by the ignition of gasoline in the kitchen of Charles Brock's bakery.
destruction of the entire block took less than an hour. The village was
without any equipment for fighting fire. A train of three coaches
with men from Lagrange and Mongo and a car full of men from Angola
to the scene to help the citizens of Orland save their town, although
were powerless, the people appreciated the expression of sympathy.
no lives were lost, Brock's Bakery, The Masonic Hall, Jennings and
Son Grocery, Post Office, Burnham House, E. L. Parker
which included a pool room and Charles Helm's Barber Shop were all
Submitted By: Jim Emerson