From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
John B. Blue, M. D., deceased, was born in Allen County, Ind., in 1839. He grew to maturity in his native county, and in his early manhood taught school. In 1862 he began the study of medicine, and the fall of the next year attended a course of lectures at the medical department of the Michigan University, Ann Arbor. He subsequently graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago. He located in Flint, Steuben Co., Ind., in 1864, and began the practice of his profession, but soon after moved to Newville, DeKalb County, where he remained but a short time. He returned to Flint, and in the years that followed built up an extensive and lucrative practice. A few years before his death one of his legs became diseased and amputation seemed necessary to save his life. For a time the result was favorable, and he resumed his practice, but finally the disease took a cancerous form, which terminated his life, July 5, 1884. He was a successful physician, and enjoyed the esteem and confidence of all his patrons. Politically, he was a Democrat, and was one of the trusted leaders and advisers of his party in Steuben County. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, Corinthian Lodge, Flint; Angola Chapter, No. 58, and Angola Council, No. 28. He was married July 13, 1867, to Mary H. Cleveland, a native of Jackson Township, born in 1846, a daughter of Amasa Maro and Sophronia (Lobdell) Cleveland. Her father was born in Ontario County, N. Y.., in 1812, and was one of the early settlers of Jackson Township, where he died in October, 1863. His wife died Jan. 25, 1852. Their children were three in number-- Mrs. Blue; Louisa, of California, and Adelpha, wife of George Golden. To Dr. and Mrs. Blue were born three children; but two are living-- Nellie M. and John. Ludellie died in infancy.
Submitted by: Kim Davoli