From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Morris Brown was born in Oneida County, N. Y., in 1838, a son of Charles Brown, who died about 1851. When fifteen years of age he began to work for his own livelihood, and when seventeen went to Whitesides County, Ill., where he remained two years. In 1857 he came to Steuben County, Ind., and taught two winter terms of school in Flint, 1857-'58 and 1859-'60. The winter of 1860-'61 he taught in District No. 8. In November, 1858, he bought sixty acres of land on the north part of the south half of the northeast quarter of section 28, Jackson Township, which was wholly unimproved and heavily timbered. He cleared and improved his land and subsequently added forty acres of the same section, and twenty acres on section 27, making a fine farm of 120 acres. His residence is on the land first purchased. April 1, 1858, he married Catherine Clink, daughter of Christian Clink, of Salem Township. After his marriage he went to Michigan, where he lived ten months, and then returned to Indiana. Mr. and Mrs, Brown have three children-- Carrie A., wife of Asher Preston, of Fremont; Jennie M., wife of Frank Golden, and Homer T. Politically Mr. Brown is a Republican, casting his first vote for President Lincoln. He is one of the representative citizens of Jackson Township, and has held several positions of trust and responsibility.
Submitted by: Kim Davoli