From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
John F. Cameron, M. D., one of the medical corps of Steuben County, resides in the village of Hamilton. He was born in Richland Township, this county, May 8, 1855, where his parents, John and Mary Cameron, settled in 1841. John Cameron was born in Scotland, Dec. 21, 1814. His parents were George and Janet Cameron, who came to America and located in Canada, in the Province of Ontario, in the fall of 1834. George Cameron died in 1848, and his wife in 1838. Their son John preceded them a few months, coming to America in the spring of 1834. He, not long after, went to New York State, and from there to Ohio, where he was a contractor on the Wabash & Erie Canal. He was married at Napoleon, Ohio, Feb. 25, 1841, to Mary Carlin, a native of Ohio, born Feb. 5, 1823, a daughter of Robert Carlin. They became residents of this county the following year. Nine children were born to them, eight of whom are living-- James G., of Eden, Ohio; Louisa, wife of O. A. Mathews, of Eden, Ohio; Robert, of Columbia, Ohio; Mary, residing in Richland Township with her widowed mother; Dr. John F., our subject; Margaret, wife of Samuel Anspaugh, of this county; Josina, wife of Uriah Egbert, of this county; William C., now attending the Tri-State Normal, at Angola; George, the eldest, was born Sept. 10, 1842, and died Oct. 29, 1850. John Cameron died April 4, 1878. He was a man of thrift, a sterling citizen. When he came to this county he was possessed of some capital and bought 160 acres of land, which he rapidly improved. The wife that he brought with him to the wilderness, that shared his joys and sorrows, amid hardships and toils, a true companion, and now in a fair degree of health, is living with her daughter Mary, on the old homestead. Mr. Cameron, for a number of years, was a faithful and consistent member of the United Brethren church at Metz. He was one of the trusty and trusting men of Richland Township. He was elected Township Trustee, performing the duties two terms in a manner creditable to himself and satisfactory to his townsmen. He also served as Justice of the Peace twelve years. In 1874 he was elected County Commissioner, and re-elected to that responsible position in 1876, and was, at the time of his death, Chairman of the board. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, upright and honest in business, obliging as a neighbor, an affectionate father, who ever held the interests of his children dear to himself. Dr. John F. Cameron attended the schools of Richland Township till seventeen years of age, after which he attended Hillsdale College a term and the Angola High School six terms, receiving a diploma from the latter. Then commenced his medical studies under the tutorship of his brother, James G. Cameron, of Eden, Ohio; remained with him three years, and attended three courses of lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., graduating in the spring of 1880. May 1, of that year, he commenced practice in the village of Hamilton, where by strict attention to his business, good judgment and faithful attendance upon his patients he is fast winning favor and friends. He was married Dec. 12, 1880, to Elnora Powers, daughter of Clark and Hannah Powers. She was born in York Township, March 7, 1854. In 1883 Dr. Cameron bought of Hon. Hugh McCulloch the Hamilton hotel property, where the traveler is entertained and given, in every sense of the word, the comforts of home.
Submitted by: Kim Davoli