From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Frank H. Chadwick is the junior member and business manager of the firm Chadwick & Co., general merchants and produce dealers, Pleasant Lake. This business was established in April, 1876. Mr. Chadwick's partner, H. Linder, is a resident of Angola. Their building is a two-story and basement brick, 25 x 90 feet, with an L 20 x 30 feet in size. They carry a stock of about $15,000, consisting of dry goods, clothing, carpets, boots and shoes, groceries, etc. The salesroom comprises the entire main floor and is presided over by Mr. Chadwick and his gentlemanly clerks, L. R. Weaver, Hampton Miller and C. V. Tuttle. The second floor is the clothing and carpet room. The basement is under the entire building and is large and commodious. They buy all kinds of produce and have suitable buildings for the accommodation of this branch of their business. The store is a model of neatness and the business is carried on in a systematic and successful manner. Mr. Chadwick is a young man of fine business ability. He was born in Jamestown Township, Steuben County, in October, 1854. He is a son of John Chadwick, a native of Licking County, Ohio, born in 1825, who came to Steuben County in 1847, settling in Jamestown Township. He afterward moved to Clear Lake Township where he improved a farm; later moved to Pleasant Township, and still later bought what is known as the old Britton farm, in Steuben Township. He afterward moved to Branch County, Mich., and in 1874 to Kansas, and settled near Topeka, where he now lives. Frank H. was reared and educated in his native county. When eighteen years of age he began to work for Scoville & Latson, remaining with them three years, and in 1876 came to Pleasant Lake. He was married in October, 1876, to Arletta Snyder, daughter of John Snyder. They have one son-- Guy.
Submitted by: Kim Davoli