From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Hiram Croxton, section 11, Steuben Township, bought his farm of 250 acres of Horatio Roby, Feb. 3, 1863. He has made several important improvements to the farm, building in 1872 a beautiful residence. He has erected a fine horse barn, and several minor farm buildings. His location is one of the best in the township, and his farm is productive and valuable. Mr. Croxton was born in Carroll County, Ohio, in 1824, whence he moved to Monroeville, Jefferson Co., Ohio, where he lived ten years. From Monroeville he removed to Salineville, Columbiana Co., Ohio, and in 1863 moved to Steuben County, Ind. While at Salineville he was engaged in the furniture business, and for three years was Mayor of the town, and four years President of the Board of Education. In 1870 he erected the depot at Pleasant Lake and was station agent eight years, the first agent in the place. Mr. Croxton was married in 1847 to Martha Thompson, a native of Beaver County, Pa., born in 1827, a daughter of John and Massa Thompson, who removed from Pennsylvania to Columbiana County, Ohio, and thence to Mahoning County, where they died. Mr. and Mrs. Croxton have four children-- John, Elvira, Worthy and Emmet. They have lost three children since their residence in Indiana-- Allie died at the age of twenty-three years, Willie aged sixteen years, and Ettie aged four years. In politics Mr. Croxton was originally a Democrat, but since its organization has affiliated with the Republican party.
Submitted by Kim Davoli