From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
George V. Farnum was born in Boston, Mass., Feb. 27, 1818. His father, George Farnum, died in Pennsylvania in 1826. His mother died in Massachusetts in 1847. When fifteen years of age he went to work in a dry-goods store in Boston and when seventeen was sent out by them as a commercial traveler, visiting while in their employ twenty-six States and two Canadian provinces. He was married in Boston in May, 1836, to Charlotte Stone, who died six months later aged twenty-two years. In 1845 he married Frank C. Willey, who was born in Irasburg, Orleans Co., Vt., Aug. 22, 1817, living at that time in Connecticut. The year of their marriage they moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where Mr. Farnum engaged in the construction of telegraph lines about a year. In the fall of 1846 he embarked in the mercantile business which he continued till June, 1848, when he moved to Burr Oak Mich., buying land with the intention of engaging in farming, but not liking that life he engaged a short time in keeping hotel and then moved to Coldwater and bought an interest in a wagon and paint shop. Two years later he sold out and became a resident of Steuben County, Ind., locating at Angola in 1859. He for a short time kept the Eldora House (now the Russell House), and in November, 1859, moved to Hamilton, and at first kept a hotel and general store in the La Due property. In 1864 he established the business now conducted by his son George R. Mr. Farnum has led an active business life and has now a competency for his declining years. He has made many friends in his business career who value him for his many sterling and business qualities and genial, agreeable manners.
Submitted by Kim Davoli