From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana page 824

John Fee, the first settler of Otsego Township, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, October 13, 1810.  His father, William Fee, was a farmer and to that avocation the son was reared and made it the successful pursuit of his life.  He was nineteen years of age when his father with family settled in Williams County, Ohio.  He had a family of twelve children, of whom John was the second child.  William Fee, after making a little improvement and shelter for his family, went back for money to pay for his land and on his return was taken sick and died before reaching home, leaving the family in limited circumstances.  John Fee and Mary A. B. Holton were married April 9, 1833.  She was born in Highland County, Ohio, April 9, 1811, a daughter of Samuel Holton, one of the first settlers of Chillicothe, Ohio.  At the time of their marriage Mrs. Fee was residing with her brothers, Samuel and John Holton, in Williams County, Ohio.  Samuel Holton settled in Dekalb County the same year and was the first settler of that county.  Mr. and Mrs. Fee lived on Samuel Holton's farm as renters until 1835, when they came to this township, being the first white family to make their home here, and located 120 acres on Section 32.  Mr. Fee was a man of great energy and force -- the man for a new country.  It gave him room, and brought into action his inherent force of character.  He became one of the largest landowners in the county, at one time owned about 1500 acres, not all in this county.  His home on Section 32 and 33 and adjoining lands over the line in Dekalb County, contained about 700 acres, now making several farms, divided among his children.  Mrs. Fee cooked and carried herself a dinner to the men employed in raising the first building ever erected in Hamilton.  Nine children were born to them, of whom seven are living -- Calvin; Clarinda, wife of A. L. Nichols; Margaret R., wife of A. J. Carpenter; John; Ann, wife of L. T. Crain; William, and Frank.  Mr. Fee died April 2, 1873.  The widow survives, strong in intellect, clear in recollection of pioneer days, but helpless from a stroke of paralysis.  She is cared for by her son Frank and his wife at the pioneer home made one half a century ago.