From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
William Ferrier. -- Steuben County is highly favored in her natural attractions, fertility of soil and beautiful scenery, but these have been largely enhanced by the zeal and energy of her pioneers. Pioneer life naturally develops the latent powers, and the early settlers of Steuben proved themselves possessed in a superlative degree of that force of character which overcomes all difficulties, and creates towns and villages out of uncultivated tracts. Prominent among those who assisted in the development and improvement of the county stands the name of William Ferrier. His grandfather, Andrew Ferrier, was born in Scotland in 1769, and in his youth came to America with his parents and settled in Pennsylvania. He married Catherine Willoughby, and to them were born twelve children, David, the father of William, being one of the number. The family moved from Pennsylvania to Harrison County, Ohio, where David was married to Susan Hendricks, a native of Maryland. To them were born the following children -- William, George, Mary, John, Andrew, David, Jacob and Martha. Andrew and Catherine Ferrier settled in York Township, Steuben Co., Ind., in 1844, where the former soon after died. The latter removed to Williams County, Ohio, where she resided till her death. William Ferrier was born in Harrison County, Ohio, May 24, 1823, and when eight years of age moved with his parents to Seneca County and settled near the present site of the town of Fostoria. This region was then the far Frontier, the only house in the place being the humble abode of Charles Foster, father of Ohio's ex-Governor. After a residence of eight years in that vicinity they moved to Williams County, and thence in 1849 to Steuben County, Ind., and settled on a farm a half mile east of the present town of Metz. His father opened a small store and he was employed as clerk four years. He then bought the stock and commenced life for himself as a merchant. In 1868 he retired from business, but in 1869 formed a partnership with his brother Jacob and opened a store in Metz, but soon after bought his brother's interest and continued in business alone till 1872, when he retired from active business life. In 1875 he moved to Angola and has since been identified with her interests. He is a man of enterprise and public spirit; generous and benevolent; a liberal supporter of all religious and charitable institutions. In 1861 he was instrumental in the building of the United Brethren church in Metz, giving largely for the purpose. Of this denomination the entrie family are members. As a business man Mr. Ferrier was always known as straightforward and honorable, resorting to no trickery to accomplish desired ends. Though having but limited educational advantages, attending the log-cabin schools but eighteen months, he has increased his knowlidge by observation and reading, and is one of the well-informed business men of the county. Realizing the disadvantages incident to a meager education he has exerted his influence to the utmost to advance the educational interests of the county. Mr. Ferrier was married March 14, 1850, to Olive M. Thompson, daughter of Robert and Miriam Thompson, of Williams County, Ohio. She was born in Warren, Trumbull Co., Ohio, March 20, 1831. In her girlhood a school-teacher, she had an innate thirst for knowledge, which her new surroundings could not satisfy, and her life has been devoted to surrounding her family with all that would develop and cultivate their mental powers and elevate their moral tendencies. To Mr. and Mrs. Ferrier have been born three children -- Amanda, wife of W. H. Waller, M.D.; William W., editor of the Angola Republican, and Dora, wife of Stephen A. Powers, an attorney of Angola.
Submitted by Kim Davoli