From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
David Fisher was born in Mifflin County, Pa., in 1817, and when two years of age his parents moved to Columbiana County, Ohio, and several years later to Stark County, where he grew to manhood. In 1842 he came to Indiana and located in DeKalb County, where he was married the following year to Mary M. Martin, a native of York County, Pa., born in 1818. Her father died when she was a child and her mother afterward moved to Stark County, Ohio, and in 1841, to DeKalb County, Ind. Mr. Fisher bought an unimproved farm of eighty acres in Smithfield Township. He had but $80, and $50 of this he paid on his land. He was by trade a wheelwright, and worked at his trade to obtain money to pay for his land. He subsequently sold his DeKalb County farm and bought eighty acres of land on the southeast quarter of section 34, Salem Township, where he has since lived. This land was entered from the Government by Robert Meeks, but no improvements had been made when Mr. Fisher bought it. In 1863 he bought the rest of the quarter-section. He also owns eighty acres of improved and forty acres of pasture land on section 27. He has made his farm one of the most valuable in the township. His buildings are all comfortable and of a convenient design. He now devotes the most of his time to agriculture and is one of the most successful in Steuben County. Mr. and Mrs. Fisher have had ten children, seven of whom are living-- John, Leonard, Effie M., Elmira, Julia A., Agnes and Alfred. Louis died in the fourth year of his age, Jefferson in early infancy, and Edward at the age of fourteen years.
Submitted by Kim Davoli