From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Charles W. Goodale, M. D., is a native of York Township, Steuben County, Ind., born May 11, 1844, a son of Burdett and Mary Ann Goodale. In October, 1842, his parents moved from Cleveland, Ohio, to Steuben County, Ind., and settled in York Township, where the father died June 15, 1855, aged thirty-eight years. His mother is living with a daughter, Mrs. Stevens. They had a family of four children, of whom our subject is the second. Albert N. was member of the Forty-second Illinois Infantry in the war of the Rebellion, and died in October, 1863, from the effects of wounds received at Chickamauga. Orville F. is clerk of Steuben County Court, and resides at Angola. Amelia is the wife of Abraham Stevens, of Metz. In his early life our subject made the best use of time allotted for attending school, and in addition to the district school attended the High School at Angola, and Hillsdale College. While a student at Hillsdale he enlisted in the Thirtieth Michigan Infantry and served about six months. After his return home he began the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. H. D. Wood, now of Angola, then of Metz, and remained with him three years. He then attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill., graduating in 1869. He began his practice at Metz, and in 1871 went to Reed City, Mich., where he remained till 1874. Then returned to Metz, and engaged in the mercantile business almost exclusively for four years, and in 1878 went to St. Joseph, DeKalb County, and resumed the practice of his profession. In 1880 he returned to the home of his childhood, with the intention of remaining, but his love for traffic, rivaling the love of his profession he again, the following fall, embarked in the mercantile business, and in October, 1881, admitted as a partner Abraham Stevens, an enterprising business man. In the spring of 1884 he left the charge of the business to his partner, and again resumed the practice of medicine. Dr. Goodale has many friends, and as he is a close student and has kept himself informed on all the advanced theories of his profession, has no trouble in building up a good practice. In the spring of 1885 he sold his interest in the mercantile establishment of Goodale & Stevens to Jeff Warner. Dr. Goodale was married Sept. 5, 1869, to Miss Margaret A. Parrott who was born Jan. 9, 1842, daughter of Sylvester and Henrietta Parrott. They have six children-- Burdett, Alice, Frank, Paul, Amelia and Ford. In politics Dr. Goodale is a Republican. He and his wife are members of the Disciple church.
Submitted by Kim Davoli