From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
George W. Goodfellow is a native of Onondaga County, N. Y., born near Syracuse in 1825, a son of Smiley and Permeila (Halstead) Goodfellow. In 1835 his Grandfather Halstead moved to Lenawee County, Mich., remaining there the rest of his life. In the fall of 1835 his parents moved to Lenawee County, and leaving his family there his father proceeded to Steuben County, Ind., and entered a tract of wild land two and a half miles east of the present site of Fremont. The following year he moved his family to the frontier home, and commenced to clear the land and till the soil. There were at that time very few families in the township, and their nearest mill was at Union, twenty-six miles distant. The father and mother spent their lives in the vicinity of their first settlement, and were among the most active in building up the material interests of the township. George W. Goodfellow remained with his parents till manhood. In 1864 he bought forty acres of land on section 22, Jamestown Township, which he has cleared and improved and now has one of the pleasantest homes in the county.
Submitted by Kim Davoli