From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Elijah D. Gunsaullus was born in Richland County, Ohio, in 1833, a son of Levi Gunsaullus, a native of New York and an early settler of Richland Township. In March, 1860, Mr. Gunsaullus came to Steuben County, Ind., three brothers having previously settled here. His brother Henry came many years before and settled on section 14, Salem Township; later moved to section 15. He afterward sold his farm and with his brothers Levi B. and William A. built a saw-mill on the southwest quarter of section 14. The brothers ran the mill several years, when they sold out and Henry moved to Kansas, where he died. Levi and William returned to Richland County, Ohio, where the latter died and the former still lives. Elijah D. Gunsaullus bought his farm of George Davis. It is located on the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of section 21. The improvements have been made mostly by Mr. Gunsaullus. He was married in Richland County, to Elizabeth, daughter of Charles and Maria Conklin, natives of Cayuga County, N. Y., who moved after their marriage to Richland County. They have three children all born in Steuben County -- Pyrl H., born May 16, 1860; Ella B., born May 19, 1866, and William A., born June 12, 1873. They lost three children in infancy. Mr. Gunsaullus enlisted in the war of the Rebellion, in September, 1864, and served till its close. He has always been an influential, enterprising citizen, and is now Trustee of Salem Towhship. A sister of Mrs. Gunsaullus, Mariette, wife of Casper Conger, came to Salem Township about 1850, and settled on the northwest quarter of section 22, where they lived about ten years, and then moved to section 15. In the winter of 1864 they moved to South Bend, and thence to Nebraska where Mrs. Conger died Sept. 2, 1880.
Submitted by Kim Davoli