From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
Hon. A. W. Hendry, attorney at law, Angola, Ind., was one of the early settlers of Steuben County. He was born near Buffalo, Erie Co., N. Y., March 22, 1820, a son of Samuel and Eunice (Foote) Hendry, his father of Massachusetts and his mother of Connecticut. His parents were married in Delaware County, N. Y., Feb. 16, 1803, and before the war of 1812 removed to Erie County. Samuel Hendry was a minute-man in the war of 1812. He was an old-line Whig, and a strong anti-slavery man. In 1827 or 1828 he moved to Ashtabula County, Ohio, and in 1832 to Wellington, Lorain County. Mrs. Hendry died in Sandusky, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1853, and Mr. Hendry in Angola, Ind., April 12, 1861. They had a family of nine children, eight of whom are living. A. W. Hendry learned the blacksmith's trade of his father, but not liking it, he and his twin brother determined to take up the profession of law. They procured a Blackstone and Kent and studied evenings and when not otherwise employed until they were familiar with the main points of common law. In 1842 our subject came to Indiana, and taught school in Orland, Steuben County, the following winter, and in the spring of 1843 went to Lima, Lagrange County, where he was admitted to the bar. He then located in Angola, and practiced here till 1866, when he embarked in the mercantile business,which he continued till 1872. In 1852 Mr. Hendry was elected to the State Senate and served eight years, although he has never sought official honors. He takes especial interest in the up-building of local interests and is President of the Old Settlers' Association and Steuben County Agricultural Society. In politics he is a strong Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Hendry were at Baltimore at the time Abraham Lincoln received the second nomination for President of the United States, and at Philadelphia when General Grant was nominated for the same office. Mr. Hendry was married June15, 1847, to Louisa Gale, daughter of Judge Thomas and Sarah (Goldsmith) Gale. They have had four children; but three are living -- Thomas P., Victor, and Mattie E., wife of G. W. McBride, an attorney of Grand Haven, Mich. Judge Gale was a native of Orange County, N. Y., and when a young man went to Ohio and located near Columbus. In 1831 he came to Indiana, and founded the town of Lima, Lagrange County. In 1836 he came to Steuben County and bought the land where Angola is now located, and in company with Cornelius Gilmore laid out the town. He also laid out the town of Augusta, Noble County. He was member of the Legislature in 1836 and 1837. He was an old-line Whig and one of the first to advocate the anti-slavery movement.
Submitted by Kim Davoli