Peter Johnson Source: History of Steuben County, IN (1885) p.508-9 Peter Johnson was born in Herkimer County, N.Y., in 1804, a son of Luther and Dolly A. Johnson, natives of Connecticut. He was reared in the State of his nativity, and about 1837 came West to Michigan, and located in Adrian with his brother. In 1841 he bought what is now known as the Glasgow farm, on Turkey Creek, in Salem Township, Steuben County. At that time it was uncultivated, but he cleared it of timber and improved it, making it one of the best farms in the township. In 1847 he was married at Coldwater, Mich., to Miss Jenette Ruthven, a native of the Highlands of Scotland, a daughter of James and Catherine (McKay) Ruthven, who emigrated to Canada, where the father was drowned. The mother soon after moved to Livingston, N.Y., and there reared her family. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnson were born three children - Mary, now Mrs. Warren Whitman, of St. Joseph County, Mich.; Cornelia, wife of A. H. Stratton, of Ontario, Canada; James L., a young man of fine business ability and unexceptional character, who has charge of the farm. Mr. Johnson was held in the highest esteem by all who knew him. His uprightness and high sense of morals, his genial, courteous manners, and rare conversational power made him a favorite in both business and social circles. He filled different positions of trust in the township in a creditable and satisfactory manner, and for twelve years was Postmaster at Turkey Creek. He died in 1865, after an illness of several years. In 1864 he sold his farm in Salem Township and bought the home a mile south of Orland, where Mrs. Johnson and her son now live. In the early days of his settlement in the county Mr. Johnson engaged extensively in horticulture, establishing a nursery, from which many of the orchards of Steuben County were started.