From the 1885 History of Steuben County, Indiana
William H. Lemmon was born in Townsend, Sandusky Co., Ohio, in 1837, a son of Uriah B. and Emily (McIntyre) Lemmon, natives of Tompkins and Livingston counties, N.Y. His Grandfather Lemmon was one of the first settlers of the Genesee Valley. His parents moved to Sandusky County in 1826, and still reside in Townsend. They had a family of seven children -- William H.; John M., an attorney of Clyde, Ohio; Sarah A. Thorpe, of Grundy County, Iowa; Rebecca Gardner, of Clyde, Ohio; Cyrus A., of Durango, Col.; Morris B., attorney of Clyde; Elizabeth Hoch, of Clyde. William H. Lemmon passed his early years on his father's farm, attending the district school during the winter. When the war of the Rebellion broke out he enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Ohio Infantry. They were assigned to the Army of the Potomac and participated in the memorable battles of that division. After his return home in 1865 he located in Kinderhook, Mich., and in 1866 moved to Steuben County, Ind., where he has been prominently identified with all interests of public benefit. He is an enterprising man and is always ready to assist in furthering any project that promises advancement to the community. He was married in 1860 to Lois McIntyre, daughter of William and Ann (Stephens) McIntyre. Mr. and Mrs. Lemmon have eight children -- Edith, wife of J. Stoddard, of Butler County, Neb.; Sherman, also of Nebraska; Wilton, Eva, Erdie, Elda, Ella and Homer. Mr. Lemmon has served Jamestown Township as School Examiner and Justice of the Peace, and has been Marshal of Fremont. He was Treasurer of his township in Ohio.
Submitted by Kim Davoli